Home
I've lived in the NE OH and NW PA area all my life. With the warmer weather we've been having lately, been seeing some birds coming back up north. What type of bird means spring/summer to you when see them back in the spring?
To me, it's the red-winged blackbird when it's hanging on a cattail calling out.
I always liked it when I heard the red-wing black birds singing. I knew spring was here.
In the past week I have noticed robins, meadowlarks and crows.
Bees.
Red wing blackbirds around the pond
Robins here.
Wild turkeys gobbling.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Wild turkeys gobbling.

Only ones I GAS about.
It's the return of the meadowlarks that signal spring here in south east Idaho. We have had robins and redwing blackbirds for weeks but the meadowlarks showed up yesterday! Now it's spring!
Robins and Redwing blackbirds
When the Loons and snowbirds (one in the same?) leave, it's a definite sign of spring!
This is what we's looks for in So Cal...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cardinals building nest means spring to me.
When the turkey vultures return, I saw one this morning.
mourning dove
Robins and Sandhill Cranes
When the Key birds are quiet I know it's spring.
This bird !

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
We have two mated pair of Mallards that come to spend the summer in the pool. They show up roughly a week after the trees begin to bud.
Boomer Snow Birds returning
Ouch.
Fuggin mockingbirds sing all night long. The males literally scream their non-rhythmic song, so loud it should burst their little birdy lungs. Those birds are crazed!
Robins and Eastern blue birds. Glad to see them. When humming birds get here summer time. YES
Redwing black birds, seagulls.
Turkeys. Started seeing a few last weekend. Didn’t make it to the mountains this weekend.
In Pa here it is always the Redwing blackbirds
robins, cedar waxwings
It aint spring til I hear a tom thunder
We don't have a lot of new birds show up, but we do have a lot that leave. Robins, waterfowl and white pelicans come to mind.
With out a doubt Redwing Blackbirds, in South central Idaho.
My place is loaded with em right now, cost me an arm and a leg to keep em fed but they just up and disappear
early to mid summer not sure where they go when they leave here.
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

So in SoCal the Beavers start coming out first?
Turdus Migratorius, the American Robin.
Mocking birds and robins. I do see both stay here in limited number over the winter.
Damn robins building nests above the front door. Have to put crinkled foil up there.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
robins, cedar waxwings

Use to have ton of both here. Not so now.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
This bird !

🦫

That is one beautiful bird!

Robins
Robins.

Boomer snow birds don't show until June...then complain about the bugs...and their kids...and the roads...and the weather.
Arctic Terns or sandhills here in Alaska. Robins when I lived in Maine.
Cranes, geese, ducks.

Also, snowbirds w out of state plates or rental RVs doing 45 in a 65.
Bluebirds. I build houses for them.
Meadowlarks Robins

and Crocus's
Mtn Bluebirds, purdy little things, although I also enjoy big breasted bed thrashers...
Cardinals love to hear them singing.
Originally Posted by RAS
Robins and Redwing blackbirds

Yup
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I also enjoy big breasted bed thrashers...

Only in the spring? wink
Orioles.

I had never seen one until a couple started hanging out here last year. They like grape jelly and oranges. A pair raised a couple of chicks in the tree outside my window last year. I'm hoping they return.

,...beautiful birds.

Robins can be seen as early as late Feb. IIRC. Followed a couple weeks later usually mid march by the red wing blackbirds. We're on a bay on Lake Ontario with lots of marsh around so they love it here. Saw my first turkey vultures a week or so back. This afternoon we had about 15-20 of them circling around overhead. We have a couple purple martin houses set up out back and they're usually here by about mid April.
only safe to plant corn when you hear the whippoorwill.
Mosquitos started up the other day.

Killed two, one got me last night in the shop. Wife saw one in the house.

Sure sign of spring and water that isn't frozen through.

Oh, and my wife said she saw the tree swallows too.
Blue Jays , Orioles , Cardinals . wink
Seriously imnotw , Robins .
When I lived in New York State it was redwings, eastern phoebes and spring peepers (frogs).

A bit tougher down here since we ordinarily don’t have much of a winter to speak of. Purple Martins are the first tropical migrant to return (beginning end of January) but for the Continent as whole I listen for the flight calls of upland sandpipers passing overhead at night , spring and fall, coming/going between Argentina and the Northern Plains.

Ain’t heard any yet, any day now.
Robins show up two weeks before the Meadowlarks.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Orioles.

I had never seen one until a couple started hanging out here last year. They like grape jelly and oranges. A pair raised a couple of chicks in the tree outside my window last year. I'm hoping they return.

,...beautiful birds.

There’s a bunch of related orioles in the Tropics, Baltimore Orioles spend half their lives down there where they are important pollinators for a species of tree which flower petals mimics the yellow/orange colors of the mature Baltimore males.

The Baltimore’s particular niche is to leave the Tropics and all the competing oriole species down there to come here to breed, the only oriole over most of their breeding range. The plus side is they can raise more young, the down side is losses in migration are heavy..

Every full color male Baltimore Oriole you see is at least two years old and has survived at least two return trips to/from the Tropics.
Robins were starting to show up here before the big ice storm hit N TX.

Saw my first TX Bluebonnet flowers today. A sure sign of Spring. Although I bet they’ve been blooming for a couple of weeks in the TX Hill Country.
Swans,,,
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

The Greater Double-Breasted Tittywobbler
150 robins then 9 million of these.....

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Orioles.

,...beautiful birds.

Never seen one here in TX.
Although I have seen a rare Painted Bunting twice here at the Ranch a few years ago. Cool little birds!

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/painted-bunting
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
150 robins then 9 million of these.....

That might be fun with a 12 ga. 🤠
The geese have started pairing up, the robins have arrived and the toms start strutting around the yard....sure signs of Spring up here in N ID.
In order Swans, Ross's and Snow geese, and pintails.

Among song birds, robin, killdeer, and redwings.
Originally Posted by Riverhawk
The geese have started pairing up, the robins have arrived and the toms start strutting around the yard....sure signs of Spring up here in N ID.

when my coveys of quail break up into pairs I'll know for sure where going to get a real start to "Spring".

Meadowlarks started claiming territories almost a month ago..........not a sign of real spring. It's been down to 6F since then.
The Hummingbirds are the sure sign that Spring has arrived to stay.
Robins here ..
Purple martins, mine showed up about 2 weeks ago.
A Cincinnati joke:

"I saw my first robin today. . ."

"That's nice. Spring is on the way!"

". . . it was frozen to the ground."

That's kind of how it is around here.
The birds that tell me warm weather has arrived aren't local, they're migratory. The Cincinnattius Assholimus, also known as the Buckeye Navy Bird, starts showing up in flocks. They're generally easy to spot due to the sunburnt nose, Jimmy Buffet t shirt, and strong sense of self entitlement. When migrating, they are usually found in the checkout lane of Kroger with a case of Natural Light, complaining about the lack of good restaurants in the area.

When they start to appear, I know that hot weather is on the way. And to stay home on weekends.
When I step out at dawn or dusk and hear the woodcock make their strange, "Reeeeeettt" call. Bonus bird is when I hear Wilson's snipe making their spookysounding, "woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo" while flying.
Snowbirds. laugh
Robins.
Robbins and woodcock.

No robins here yet. Dog got on 3 woodcock on the weekend.
Cattle Egrets, they show up when the grass hoppers and horse flies come out. The decimate horse fly populations on livestock.
When I see the Canada Geese heading North you know its spring. Sometimes they are seen heading back down South soon afterwards with their butts tucked under because its too darn cold, then a few days later they head North again.
Turkey Vultures

Western Flickers show up, in my area, at this time of year. I hate the little basterds. They are a type of woodpecker and I can tell when they arrive by the vibration on the side of my house. I try to get them with a pellet gun, but they are very wary and fly away quickly.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
Originally Posted by KC

Western Flickers show up, in my area, at this time of year. I hate the little basterds. They are a type of woodpecker and I can tell when they arrive by the vibration on the side of my house. I try to get them with a pellet gun, but they are very wary and fly away quickly.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Pretty bird though.
woodcock

lol
Chuck Will's Widow and of course an Alabama Eastern wild turkey gobbling. Usually happens at nearly the same time at my house. Expect to hear both any day now.
© 24hourcampfire