Home
what is a relatively cheap service on gunbroker for accepting credit card payments? i am not a frequent seller.
I had retail business for 34 years. To me, I never charged an extra whatever percentage to the bill. Figured it was just of cost for doing business. Charging extra for a CC i s just greed.
Well, no, it's not just greed. The company which processes the credit card charges somewhere in the 3 to 4.5% range. Dependent on how much volume the merchant does and what kind of deal they can negotiate. If you have a seller operating on a 20% margin or less and they take a 3.5% slice out of it it could mean the difference in a business staying open or closing it's doors. I'm not sure about everyone else but I want as many firearm oriented business open as possible.
Rick
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Well, no, it's not just greed. The company which processes the credit card charges somewhere in the 3 to 4.5% range. Dependent on how much volume the merchant does and what kind of deal they can negotiate. If you have a seller operating on a 20% margin or less and they take a 3.5% slice out of it it could mean the difference in a business staying open or closing it's doors. I'm not sure about everyone else but I want as many firearm oriented business open as possible.
Rick

OK , my question is : how to accept credit card on GB?
I certainly appreciate the retailer who gives me a 3% discount for paying by cash or check.
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Rick

If it is a problem just don't take credit cards, or pay with a check. Problem, if there is one solved!
Originally Posted by 1sgLunde
I had retail business for 34 years. To me, I never charged an extra whatever percentage to the bill. Figured it was just of cost for doing business. Charging extra for a CC i s just greed.

Jeez, how did you manage to stay in business for 34 years with that attitude? wink
Originally Posted by 1sgLunde

I don't charge extra for a card but I do give a discount for cash.
Not a lot of readers here OP,
Let me try for you;

Originally Posted by persiandog

(Think "service, APP, Platform,company etc"}
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Not a lot of readers here OP,
Let me try for you;

(Think "service, APP, Platform,company etc"}

thanks
Stripe is good, if you are doing this as a business with a merchant account.

If it is just you, something like Intuit Go would work. Better than Square anyway.
I use square. It’s decent. Better than a lot as far as expenses. But I don’t like their interface. I can’t get what I want out of it so I am always looking for an option.

But if it’s just the occasional transaction, I think square would be perfect
[url=https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-credit-card-processing-services][/url]
Cashier check.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Cashier check.

Did you read the question?
some people feel safer by paying by credit card , if they are not happy they can dispute the charge. also a seller who offers payment by CC appears to be running a business .
I like square. couple higher percent charged on each transaction but there's no monthly or subscription fees so it works out cheaper if you're only doing a few credit card transactions a month.
I probably do less than 20 transactions per year on site, and Square works just fine. For the online store we use stripe. Not enough experience there to have an opinion.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Cashier check.

Did you read the question?

Aliens is the answer.

So I was setting in this bar in Anchorage Alaska one night with a couple of friends drinking a few.

We were just laying over for the night, had a 6am flight the next morning for a remote Bering Sea coast village where the salmon were running, we planned to do a bit of fishing.

So, like I said, we were minding our own business and having a few cocktails as we talked. We had all arrived on different flights and met up there and hadn't seen each other for a while, we so we had plenty of catching up to do.

Well, about 3 or 4 drinks into our conversation this old Yupik Eskimo dude walks into the bar, I'd seen him through the window milling around out front, he had two young kids with him.

He'd left the kids outside but he had two pieces of Native art with him when he entered, one was a 10ft baleen all scrimshaw'ed up with a whale hunting scene, it had a lot of detail in it, it looked pretty good but I have a few of those.

It was the other item he had that caught my eye.
It was a 8 foot long toggle harpoon, about Walrus hunting size.

The toggle point was carved from white ivory as well as the thin cut blade that was inserted into it. The head of the harpoons shaft is made of a 16 inch piece of ivory about 2 inches in diameter. The tail of the shaft has a matching 16 inch ivory ice spike. He'd cut long narrow strips of Spotted Seal hide and wrapped the shaft for hand holds.
As soon as I saw it I told my buddies, that's mine!
I have a lot of that kinda stuff but I didn't have one of those.

He started off going person to person down the bar showing his goods, everyone was intrigued.

We were setting at a table across the room from the bar, by the time he got down to the third or fourth person at the bar I was running out of patients and got up and when over and tapped him on the shoulder and told him not to sell the harpoon before he talked to me.

Not long after he was at our table.
He told me he was from a village up between Kotzebue and Point Hope on the Chukchi Sea coast, he'd traveled to Anchorage to peddle his goods.
I asked him how much and he came back with a fairly reasonable number, I bartered him down a couple hundred and we cut a deal.

I didn't have the money it was going to take to buy this thing on me, I had like 500 cash. I told him I'd give him the 500 and head out to find a ATM.

The old dude looked me right in the eye and said 'no problem, I take Visa' and he whipped out his cell phone and said, 'slide here'

He had a little doohickey on the side of his cell phone to swipe your card through.

I told him he had to be the coolest Eskimo north of Kotzebue, not only was he a amazing artist, he took Visa payments!

We concluded our deal and he went to the parking lot and rounded up his grandkids, then he packaged my harpoon in bubble wrap and slid it into a 4 inch piece of PVC pipe so I could take it on my flight the next morning.

Oh yeah, about your question, he also used Square.
I just looked up the auto send receipt I got from that transaction in my email.

Hope that helps....;-)

That’s a pretty darn good story Jeff.
F St.?
If I recall correctly we were on Lake Hood by the airport at the Lake Front or Millennium hotel bar.
© 24hourcampfire