Home
Posted By: Uncas ELKs ? - 03/29/21
So, our local Elks Club is suffering from old age and volunteer burn out. Having never been an Elk, or much of a social drinker...is anyone here an Elk? Why? This one has a bowling alley. Covid of course has been a challenge.
Posted By: Uncas Re: ELKs ? - 03/30/21
Really not an ELK or MOOSE or any club member.?..I guess it is just a sad situation...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: ELKs ? - 03/30/21
Been an Eagle since I was 21.
Posted By: sse Re: ELKs ? - 03/30/21
i used to be an elk...there were some decent guys in it, as many or more dumb dumbs. i doubt it is near folding, but membership has to be on the decline
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: ELKs ? - 03/30/21
No, not here.
Posted By: rong Re: ELKs ? - 03/30/21
I have been one for about 32 yrs.
They do alot of charity work for the community,,,and yes social.
And our membership is slipping,the social part was way different in the past
Posted By: sse Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by rong
I have been one for about 32 yrs.
They do alot of charity work for the community,,,and yes social.
And our membership is slipping,the social part was way different in the past

i remember some of the charity stuff, that was very good
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
Clubs like Elks and volunteer type organizations are on the rocks. Millennials are particularly absent from groups that volunteer. Nothing in it for them.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
I wanna be a member of the Mason Jars.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
The drinking part would be good, but the whole charity thing reeks of hypocrisy since I don’t really GAF about the plight of others. I do feel bad when I see those dogs on the SPCA commercial so there may be hope.
Posted By: jerrys Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
52 years. I miss the old poker room.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
See, no one ever says “I miss the time we spent painting that poor elderly persons house for free”
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
I've been an Elk for around 20 years. My wife and I enjoy the annual PER banquet and an occasional Friday evening fish fry. Don't do much drinking there but the meals are always a good time. The organization does good things for the community, youth, and vets. My lodge is also suffering from losing aging members. Covid took a toll on gatherings for quite some time.

BTW, I miss the time we spent painting that poor elderly person's house for free!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by mirage243
I wanna be a member of the Mason Jars.

I think Roger might be able to help with that. shocked
Posted By: Uncas Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
Seems to be no downside to joining. Thanks those who replied.
Posted By: longarm Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
I am a member. Some very good local charity and a 600 yard, members only shooting range
Posted By: jaguartx Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Been an Eagle since I was 21.

They let scouts become Eagles at age 21?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: ELKs ? - 03/31/21
R
Originally Posted by longarm
I am a member. Some very good local charity and a 600 yard, members only shooting range

Uh, addy? wink
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: ELKs ? - 04/01/21
I was an Elk for 20+ years. Walked out in 1995 when they decided to let women join. They have gone to hell since the .
Posted By: mark shubert Re: ELKs ? - 04/01/21
Elk, here. I enjoy an occasional beer or 3 at the lodge - and appreciate the community service done.
Even though the lodge has been closed for over a year, I pay my dues - want to keep it going, if possible.
Posted By: sse Re: ELKs ? - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I was an Elk for 20+ years. Walked out in 1995 when they decided to let women join. They have gone to hell since the .

i'm in an org right now and it looks like the same might happen soon
Posted By: Teal Re: ELKs ? - 04/01/21
I've seen the Elk's and Moose lodges, don't know a single person that belongs.

I hear they do charity work - also never in my adult life remember seeing that happen. Not saying it doesn't but I am saying I've never heard/seen or been told "The Elks came out in force today to clean up Bob Smith Park and replace the swings for the kids"
© 24hourcampfire