Home
Posted By: wabigoon The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/29/21
Ever see them play?

On on TV for me. They trounced the Hollywood AllStars,

Pat Boone playing some.
When I was a youngster my dad coached my basketball team for several years and he’d work overtime so that he could swing the tickets for the entire team. I saw them several times back then and it was always fun.
Posted By: Dess Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/29/21
Met Meadowlark Lemon. Very nice Christian man.

Got Wilt Chamberlain's autograph. He played with them too.
I watched them as a kid when they came to town..twin city's, MN
bu then I went to donkey basketball plenty of times to ....
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/29/21
Meadowlark Lemon probably got a hellified speeding ticket on i-75 in N. Florida. He sucked our headlights out, then about 10 miles up the road FHP had him pulled over.

Pretty sure it was him, pimped/out El Dorado, gold rims, BFN driving, license plate some chit like MDWLRK on it. Had to be him.
I saw them a couple times as a kid. I saw Meadowlark one time when he was with the Harlem Allstars.
Never heard of em...
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/29/21
Originally Posted by renegade50
Never heard of em...

You been living under a rock? Or in Salmon, Idaho?
Some of them came through a place I was employed in about 1987. They were not as big of arseholes as the second string Trailblazers that also did.
Posted By: hanco Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/29/21
I never got to see them. Are they still around?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/29/21
I can never hold political office because I’m sure there’s a picture of me somewhere as a second grader in black face dressed as Meadiwlark Lemon for Halloween.
Posted By: rem141r Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/29/21
ya i saw them with my kids about 10-15 years ago. it was great. they made some amazing shots.
Posted By: rcbergs Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/29/21
Watched them play the Washington Generals in the old Pittsburgh Civic Arena a long long time ago. Meadowlark Lemon and the rest of the team put on quite a show. Remember they whistled the Sweet Georgia Brown tune , Great times,
Never saw them live, only on TV. I did see the King and his Court several times in Royal Oak, MI. They were an impressive fast pitch softball team. I think they only used with 6 players.
Saw the original HGT's when I was young.

They were something!

I remember Meadowlark Lemon particularly. Curly Neal too.

I'm old... I know. wink
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/29/21
Back in the day, I saw them several times in Monroe, La. Meadowlark Lemon and Curly are the only names I remember. Girlfriend and I were setting on about the 2nd or 3rd row, next to the aisle, and the water bucket with paper confetti was thrown on us.

I know a guy that played for the Washington Generals, the road team that played the Globetrotters.

My high school coach was a referee and umpire, and got asked to referee a Globetrotter game. Well he was suppose to let them play, but he started calling 'traveling' and 'carrying the ball', so at half time, the got rid of him.
My dad (a high scholl basketball star in the 30s) took my brother and me to watch them in the late 60s or early 70s.
Meadowlark, Curley etc were there. I never liked basketball much but those guys were quite the acrobats.

Better story is when I got kicked out a filming of an all star wrassling TV show in 1975.
My dad (a high scholl basketball star in the 30s) took my brother and me to watch them in the late 60s or early 70s.
Meadowlark, Curley etc were there. I never liked basketball much but those guys were quite the acrobats.

Better story is when I got kicked out a filming of an all star wrassling TV show in 1975.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/30/21
I saw them twice, when i was young and when my kids were young in Jonesboro, AR. They were entertaining and could shoot the ball from anywhere.
Posted By: kendibs Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/30/21
Saw them a number of times in the old days.

-Ken
Posted By: ACTDad Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/30/21
Saw them live a few times. Always a fun show
Posted By: Dess Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/30/21
As a kid, I thought the red white and blue basketball was the coolest thing ever made. The ABA (American Basketball Association) used the same thing.
Posted By: ingwe Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/30/21
Did they ever play against the Harlem Globetrotters?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Saw the original HGT's when I was young.

They were something!

I remember Meadowlark Lemon particularly. Curly Neal too.

I'm old... I know. wink

Yep. I saw them way back then, also.
Posted By: duckcall Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/30/21
When I saw them they had Meadowlark Lemon, Curley Neal and I think the guy that could dribble like crazy was Marcus Haines. That was in the early 70's

I was so young that I barely remember.

https://youtu.be/nsDfsdbbkJc

Seen them on TV lots as a kid, saw them in person as a young adult and saw the "older" ones play at my local high school. They played the teachers, we (the bball team, wanted to play them but they wouldn't let us).

Also seen King and his Court. Amazing pitching display
Posted By: JamesJr Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/31/21
Saw them around 1970 play at a local high school. Good show for sure.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/31/21
Wife and I both recall watching them on TV in the 60's when we were kids. They came to town in the 90's and we got tickets and saw them live. It was very cool and good entertainment.
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by ingwe
Did they ever play against the Harlem Globetrotters?

L9L
Saw 'em on Scooby-Doo a few times where they helped some meddling kids solve crimes.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/31/21
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I can never hold political office because I’m sure there’s a picture of me somewhere as a second grader in black face dressed as Meadiwlark Lemon for Halloween.

Run as a democrat and all is forgiven by the media and brainless masses.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/31/21
Very very entertaining show with lots of laughs but several of those guys had serious talent. Seems like they were always giving back to kids causes, etc. Meadowlark Lemon's sister I believe was a teacher in Little Rock and he was in town alot. The Washington Generals took alot of thumpin's. Great family show!
Posted By: hotsoup Re: The Harlom Globetrotters? - 03/31/21
like some others, i too saw them a few times when i was a young boy. good, clean entertainment. where do we find that today?
© 24hourcampfire