Home
It's floating now but has caused some massive problems. I was trying to get my head around just how big that ship is and I found some amazing numbers.

length, 400M. My house is 60' long. That's as long as 22 of my houses end to end. My driveway is a little over 100yds. It's 4 times the length of my driveway.
beam, or width: 192' That's more than 3 of my houses wide.
draft: 48' That's the vertical distance below the water line, the minimum depth of water necessary to float it. That's the draft for this trip. 52' is the max.
hull depth (height from keel to the main deck) is 107'. That doesn't include the structures above the deck. That's an 11 story building with all the containers on top of that. It appears that the containers were stacked 10 high. They're 8' so that's 80' plus a lot more ship's structure above that. It'll take a pretty large drawbridge to allow this one to pass.
capacity: about 20,000 containers (18000 were on board for this trip). Sea going containers are normally 20' or 40' long. I couldn't find an data on how many of each size are included in that 20k.
Power: a single 80,000 HP 2-stroke diesel engine. I'm guessing that it's not subject to EPA low sulfur regulations.
speed: 23 knots, about 26 mph

There are currently 133 ships in use that will carry between 18k and 24k containers. 53 more are on order. As fast as they're being built, they will likely affect sea level more than melting glaciers.

The ship was suspended between the grounded bow and stern. As the tides came and went, the middle rose and sank, flexing and stressing the midship structure. They need to carefully inspect it for cracks and breaks before it's allowed to leave the lake in the middle of the canal. Can you imagine the mess if it broke in half in the open sea?

The blame game is just starting and there are 5 countries involved. It was built and owned by a Japanese company, chartered and operated by a Taiwan company, registered in Panama, and managed by a company in Germany. Plus, there was an Egyptian pilot aboard who was responsible for it's safe passage. There are going to be hundreds of very rich lawyers before this is resolved.
Is it bigger or smaller than a Panamax?
Definitely a higher barn, but is it longer or wider?
There used to be a website, about a legal firm that was involved in shipping, Wish I could remember the name,

The pictures and stories on that web site where insane, These type of damages happen way more than you think..

I may spend a few minutes trying to find that website.
Saw the excavator running 'under' it and it looked like a Tonka toy working beside a Cat 794 dump truck
Panamax: I had to look that up. It's too big for the Panama in length, depth, and width.
This ship was launched in 2018. In 2019, it was in a collision with a ferry in a German port. It's not off to a good start.
It's hard to imagine something that large moving 26MPH. I'm not arguing that it doesn't, just that it's an amazing feat.
All I wanna know is when are my 29 cent flashlites going to get here?
Having a bad day.

Doesn't appear the link is working?

try.....http://www.cargolaw.com/gallery.html
I had to source stepper motors from the Pacific rim in a previous life. 26 week lead time. It doesn't sound bad now, but it seemed like an eternity 20 years ago.

You crossed your fingers that your container was going to make it over, and was not going to get hung up in customs.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Panamax: I had to look that up. It's too big for the Panama in length, depth, and width.

W
Well longer than
Panamax is the max that will pass through the Panama canal...

Misread your post...
How many millions of dollar's worth on that ship?
Wikipedia shows the max for the Panama in length, width, and depth. This ship exceeds them all.
My last project before retiring.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
One source said 3x height of the Statue of Liberty
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Having a bad day.

Doesn't appear the link is working?

try.....http://www.cargolaw.com/gallery.html

I'm going to save this for some future reading.
Back in the early 2000's I spent a week at the Port of Long Beach working on some equipment. Those container ships are some of the biggest items I have ever been around. When they would come into the port to off load you would start counting the containers and finally give up. What was really fascinating was when they moored up and those cranes started the off load things got wild. There were trucks traveling around there like they were going to a fire. You would leave in the afternoon and come back in the morning and the ship would be gone.
Originally Posted by Geno67

Chuck needs a horse?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Originally Posted by Geno67

Chuck needs a horse?

No. The horse needed Chuck.
I've been wondering about something ever since this ship got stuck. There are cranes on over that ship so why didn't they just unload some of the cargo containers onto other ships to lighten the load?
Originally Posted by victoro
I've been wondering about something ever since this ship got stuck. There are cranes on over that ship so why didn't they just unload some of the cargo containers onto other ships to lighten the load?

Egyptian logic
Super excited for those lawyers!
I am amazed at how many containers fall out of ships because of weather and human error. Not something you want to hit with your boat when they are still floating.
Originally Posted by victoro
they were getting ready to do that next when they got it out. There's also a lot of water ballast in the bottom that they'd planned to start pumping out.
It takes a LOT, for us to live as we do in 2021.
Quarter-mile long.

200,000 T. About 400 million pounds.

Pretty big boat.
At least there aren't any icebergs in the Middle East.

I wonder what would happen if Somalian pirates captured it. I don't know how they'd get aboard, though. The gunwales are more than 50' up.
© 24hourcampfire