Home
Posted By: ribka utv shopping - 04/01/21
after a good deal of research pulled the trigger on a Honda pioneer 520. Found one in S Ca. very hard to find with covid and productions and supply chains shut down

probably add a torque locker

Posted By: SockPuppet Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by ribka
Found one in S Ca. very hard to find with covid

Schit, UTV's can get the covid, too? I better go check on the Ranger. smile

Seriously, I've heard good things about those machines. I'm glad you were able to find something as I hear it's pretty slim pickings out there.
Posted By: ribka Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Found one in S Ca. very hard to find with covid

Schit, UTV's can get the covid, too? I better go check on the Ranger. smile

Seriously, I've heard good things about those machines. I'm glad you were able to find something as I hear it's pretty slim pickings out there.

yep very slim.
Posted By: JGray Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
I'd been shopping for one since last fall after I sold my ATV's and yes they are hard to find. I was told when an order of machines comes in, they are usually pre-sold. I lucked out recently when walking in to get on a waiting list and the machine I wanted was sitting there available so jumped on it.

Congrats on the new machine!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Awesome!
Posted By: waterrat Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Atv's and snowmachines are just about all sold out up here,, I snowchecked 22 Ski-Doo and hope they deliver as promised. Parts are getting sparce too.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Local dealership has a demonstrator with roof, windshield, winch and plow for $16,500. Seems a little steep for such a little machine, but it does a few add one. 35km on it.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by waterrat
Atv's and snowmachines are just about all sold out up here,, I snowchecked 22 Ski-Doo and hope they deliver as promised. Parts are getting sparce too.

Everything is like that.

Tractor dealers are looking like ghost towns with all the lack of inventory.

The Covid effects are worldwide, and nothing is exempt. Well maybe there's no shortage of dumbassed politicians... wink
Posted By: AU7MM08 Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Everything is like that.

The Covid effects are worldwide, and nothing is exempt. Well maybe there's no shortage of dumbassed politicians... wink

That is the truth. Supply chains globally are extremely fragile.
Meanwhile, politicians of both flavors are as stupid as ever.
Posted By: killerv Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
you'll like it, i think the 520 is modeled around those new honda accessories.

I have the 700-4, I could sell it used for more than I bought it new for now. Things are crazy.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
It's hard to go wrong with a Honda. The smaller footprint of that Pioneer 520 will likely come in handy at times.
Posted By: wldthg Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
ribka--- I've own a pioneer 500 for a few years now---- my brother just bought a 520--- we also own a Yamaha Viking--- 500 or 520 are not fast machines but here in the north east there is no need for speed. Had an ATV for years but will never go back. The little pioneer 500 will amaze you on what it can do. Good choice
Posted By: BLG Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
We have the smaller one that came our a few years ago. We like it, but don't get it stuck by yourself or without a winch. We had to get a tractor to pull it out. They are heavy and sit a little low.

Looks like the 520 sits a little higher.

Nice bike.

Clyde
Originally Posted by wldthg
ribka--- I've own a pioneer 500 for a few years now---- my brother just bought a 520--- we also own a Yamaha Viking--- 500 or 520 are not fast machines but here in the north east there is no need for speed. Had an ATV for years but will never go back. The little pioneer 500 will amaze you on what it can do. Good choice

thanks for input

no need to go fast. 520 is 50 inches wide so allows access to a lot of back country here in Idaho. Many trails have a 50 inch limit. And can drive utv's on the roads here.
Sold mt Yamaha 660 grizzly and that was a very good machine.

I was looking at Yamaha's too but think the Honda's, for my purposes , fit my requirements better
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Good deal. You will love a UTV.

I have a 2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE. It's A LOT of fun!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
It depends a lot on what you want to use one for. I know that the Polaris Rangers are very popular here. I've had one since 2013, and have used the crap out of it. I will recommend them very much.
Posted By: logcutter Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21

no need to go fast. 520 is 50 inches wide so allows access to a lot of back country here in Idaho. Many trails have a 50 inch limit. And can drive utv's on the roads here.

Might want to double check that,some national forest like the Nezperce/Clearwater don't allow a UTV on those trails,period..There looked at as a pickup or jeep and limited to where they are legal, not an ATV...Yet on the Payette national forest,there like an ATV...Last time I looked...
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Hope they're better than the Big Red {turds}.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It's hard to go wrong with a Honda. The smaller footprint of that Pioneer 520 will likely come in handy at times.

Is your avatar for real or a April 1 Foolers??!!
Posted By: Raeford Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by wldthg

thanks for input

Sold mt Yamaha 660 grizzly and that was a very good machine.

I was looking at Yamaha's too but think the Honda's, for my purposes , fit my requirements better

Love my old Yamaha Rhino, the smaller footprint is what I was after.
At 6'4", 230 I'm very comfortable in the smaller SXS
Have a feeling it's going to outlast me.
Originally Posted by logcutter

Might want to double check that,some national forest like the Nezperce/Clearwater don't allow a UTV on those trails,period..There looked at as a pickup or jeep and limited to where they are legal, not an ATV...Yet on the Payette national forest,there like an ATV...Last time I looked...

yep already know that thanks
Posted By: local_dirt Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Everything is like that.

All machinery is tight on inventory right now. Just paid the 4Runner off. Was thinking about getting another boat. Not so sure about that. Glad I got the Honda pressure washer a while back. Those things fly off the shelves whenever they get them in down here.
Posted By: JPro Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
A buddy still can't find a garden tiller like he wants, and he's been looking for about a year. Shortages are strange things. I got a holdover 2019 Mule FXT last summer, as all the 2020 models were gone in my area.

I'd certainly be looking at that Honda unit if I wanted a compact SxS. The gas companies here have gone to those a few years back (500 versions). Similar footprint to an ATV but better storage and such. They claim great reliability.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21

Kool & congrats.........

now bring it to Utah......

Show ya where you can break it in......or beat it up....... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Nice rides men, were i ever in the market for a utv my choice is basically limited to Polaris, Wifes family over in Ar has three dealerships, they sell JD tractors too, for the price and not getting bent over on service and/or repairs, as well as not waiting all season long to get something done, with the benefit of dropping the machine at her Moms place to have the service guy that hunts MIL's land pick the machine up and deliver back with a bill for repairs, i'd have to go with Polaris, have an '07 Sportsman 700 twin i bought new from them, it's been a great machine, voltage regulator? and bushings is all i've had done so far.

IIRC BIl said they make a big 1200 6 wheeler now, might be handy for farm work.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
Tikkanut, would you buy the Teryx4 again or no? Do those rear seats move or come out or just stationary or ?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21

hmmmmmmm

3 years......had 4 people in it twice.......

Rethinking.......the 2 seater may have been a better choice for me

The Teryx in general has been a great solid machine...right at 4400 miles now

Seats are permanent...remove bottom cushions is all

Posted By: Raeford Re: utv shopping - 04/01/21
This pup has been a workhorse, 13 years now:

© 24hourcampfire