Home
April 1st.

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." (Psalm 14:1)
Posted By: rte Re: National Holiday for Atheists - 04/02/21
Careful, some of these guys will tell you that they are just skeptics,as they dutifully get their shots and prove they're nothing more than good little sheeple.lol
Today is April 2.

Right! Even a fool can figure it out.
“Angels fear to tread where fools rush in”
Posted By: DBT Re: National Holiday for Atheists - 04/02/21
Which God is a dumb atheist supposed to believe in? Allah? Yawheh? Brahaman? Shiva? Baal? Zeus? Odin? wink
Originally Posted by wswolf

Right! Even a fool can figure it out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS
Originally Posted by DBT
Which God is a dumb atheist supposed to believe in? Allah? Yawheh? Brahaman? Shiva? Baal? Zeus? Odin? wink

FSM, all the way.
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Originally Posted by DBT

FSM, all the way.

I like it
Originally Posted by the_shootist
April 1st.

There is a god (supreme being..whatever don't get wrapped around the word "god"). there has to be. but all the crap that the various organized religions extort money for...no.

it is human nature to believe in a higher being, if not, then any Human could claim to be a higher being and every human would calls BS (Hitler).

so Human instinct says- Hey, I'm not the Highest power there is. Humans worshipped the sun, the sea, rocks, trees, lizards..you name it. Then, THEN along came Money and organized banking...Viola...organized religion and a "PAY ME" based religion system.

It's all about Money
Posted By: DBT Re: National Holiday for Atheists - 04/03/21
Why does there have to be a God? What is a God? How did a God come about? Eternal? The universe can be cyclic and eternal. The universe has its own attributes, working under its own steam. It doesn't need a God to form stars, planets, galaxies....
You could tell them it's a holiday.

But they won't believe it.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

You're here. We are all here.
The funny thing is that we get to celebrate their holidays but under other guises ie Christmas/Santa, Easter/Easter Bunny and they can't do a thing about it
What about that Christmas is not the birthday of Christ, or that there is little evidence for the crucifixion, yet alone resurrection?
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
The funny thing is that we get to celebrate their holidays but under other guises ie Christmas/Santa, Easter/Easter Bunny and they can't do a thing about it

Yep. I’m all tore outta frame that you have Santa and the Easter Bunny. Go pet a kangaroo or something.
Posted By: efw Re: National Holiday for Atheists - 04/03/21
Originally Posted by DBT
What about that Christmas is not the birthday of Christ, or that there is little evidence for the crucifixion, yet alone resurrection?

I am a Christian and don’t consider Christmas or western Easter as holy days. The former partially for the reason you mention.

They were both cynically set to their current dates to give everyone in Christendom a reason to celebrate: pagans had winter and spring solstices which “coincide” with these dates.

Winter solstice... evergreen tree... spring... rabbit. Fertility. Paganism.

So yeah, I agree with you & Paulparabellum.
All I'll say is that Hell is full of people who keep asking themselves "why didn't I believe?"
Originally Posted by efw
I am a Christian and don’t consider Christmas or western Easter as holy days. The former partially for the reason you mention.

They were both cynically set to their current dates to give everyone in Christendom a reason to celebrate: pagans had winter and spring solstices which “coincide” with these dates.

Winter solstice... evergreen tree... spring... rabbit. Fertility. Paganism.

Yup ..... Google the Feast of Saturnalia and how it pertains to Christmas.
What would a National Holiday for Atheists be called? How about: "Logic and Reason Day". The problem I have with religion and god is that: mankind has invented so many of them over all the years since we've evolved that I get confused. There's so many to choose from.

Yesterday I went to my local deli to get a few chili dogs. The owner (who I've known for years) said, "But it's Good Friday." I replied, "Yeah, I gave up being a Catholic for lent."
Originally Posted by cooper57m
The problem I have with religion and god is that: mankind has invented so many of them over all the years since we've evolved that I get confused. There's so many to choose from.

You are correct there ..... The Bible is clear with many warnings to beware of false prophets in the end times.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
The problem I have with religion and god is that: mankind has invented so many of them over all the years since we've evolved that I get confused. There's so many to choose from.

You are correct there ..... The Bible is clear with many warnings to beware of false prophets in the end times.

Just cause at some point someone was able to write down their crazy ideas, doesn't mean it's true. Hell, L. Ron Hubbard and the Mormons wrote books too.
Take the conception (pun intended) of the idea of a virgin birth. That concept is part of the following religions:

- Egyptian Religions (Pharaoh Amenkept III & Ra),

- Assyrian & Babylonian Religions (Tammuz, Zoroaster, Tukulti-Ninurta II, Ashurbanipal),

- Hinduism (Krishna, Karna),

- Greco Roman Religions/Myths (Alexander the Great, Antiope, Attis: Attis, Auge, Dionysus, Melanippe, Romulus).

- Buddhism (Gautama Buddha)

- Christianity

It's an idea that been copied and written about for a long time. What a concept? If you want someone to be seen as "special" make up a story of them being created in a special way.

Same goes for resurrection. That's been a part of many ancient religions. Again, not an original idea.

All religions, with few exceptions (Unitarian/Universalism come to mind), claim that only they are the true religion and all others are nonsense or blasphemy. When dealing in absolute truths(?) er, myths, ya can't be wishy/washy about it.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
All I'll say is that Hell is full of people who keep asking themselves "why didn't I believe?"

How do you know that? Is God an extortionist? Is it a good, moral act to threaten someone with "believe this or I'll kill you?"
Posted By: Gus Re: National Holiday for Atheists - 04/03/21
they say the dude that recently ran the cop down in dc was a real religious dude. so he won't be participating in atheist holiday for a couple of reasons..
Heaven/Hell, another amazing and useful tool in the quest to control people's lives. As anyone who has tried to modify the behavior of any creature, the use of reward and punishment is very useful.
Redemption/Absolution/repentance/born again etc. all cool ways for those who "screw up" to get a mulligan, just so long as they now tow the line, show up at church, pay your bail money to the organization or tel-evangalist etc., you too can get a reward or avoid punishment. All one has to do is believe again and all one's indiscretions are forgiven. That's a way of gaining/regaining control over someone who was out of control. Very useful.
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by JamesJr

How do you know that? Is God an extortionist? Is it a good, moral act to threaten someone with "believe this or I'll kill you?"

Because I believe.
the desperate insecurity expressed by some of you non-believers is sad. why the drive to tear down? oh, wait: i know why. yet, yet, He will continue to gently knock at your door ...
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Just cause at some point someone was able to write down their crazy ideas, doesn't mean it's true. Hell, L. Ron Hubbard and the Mormons wrote books too.

OK
Belief has it's usefulness. If your belief is what keeps you from killing me, stealing my stuff, screwing my wife, lying to me etc then I am grateful you believe. I'm also grateful for anyone who can refrain from doing all that bad stuff to me without needing belief in god or an afterlife of reward or punishment. Does belief automatically become reality?

The Catholic concept of purgatory. A kind of "we're not sure about you yet, so we're gonna keep you in limbo." It's a way, I guess, for your descendants to be extra-good, go to church, pay for and light candles, pray for you and you can get purified and be redeemed. But what if there's no one left to pray for you? I guess then you're SOL. A reason to have lots of children maybe.

But what if you don't believe in purgatory?? Most protestants don't. In that case, would you go straight to your hell? Maybe you skip the waiting room and go straight to the big guy himself. Belief in all these unknown/unknowable concepts; it's a strange thing. Since protestants don't believe in purgatory, do they just get to skip it? If I don't believe in heaven or hell does that mean I avoid both and just fade to black? You know the state of not being that we all were before we were born; that's my belief. So, therefore, that'll most likely end up being my reality. I can deal with that.
Either you believe or you don't. There's no price to pay for your rebellion as long as you are alive. There in lies the rub. How much do you like to gamble?

Christianity relies on love and if those Ten Commandments were honored by all it would truly be a wonderful world. Islam relies on hate and fear. If you choose not to go along with the program you'll be murdered and their God commands it. Islam was founded in the seventh Century AD by a dope addicted pedophile and it has split along political lines, sort of. The two differing political factions kill each other and both combine to kill everyone else.

All religions revolve around some Supreme Being. We are all human and have free will to follow whatever path we wish. Being human we are free to corrupt every religion in existence. The Roman Catholic Church was founded first and split along political, sort of, lines. It has endured centuries of abuse by corrupt Papal reign but the concept has remained. History has proven there truly was a Jesus and many of the Bible's teachings are corroborated by historical artifacts.

It's your choice. Democrats mostly defy religion with their actions while revering it with their words just as they do with the Constitution. Mmmm, you decide.
Originally Posted by rainshot
Either you believe or you don't. There's no price to pay for your rebellion as long as you are alive. There in lies the rub. How much do you like to gamble?.

Ah, so religion, for some, is not really a true belief but a way to hedge one's bets, I guess?? "There may or may not be a god or heaven or hell but if I say "I believe" and profess that loudly enough if there is a god he just might believe me and let me into heaven". So you think your god is easily scammed. Not sure how that works with an all-knowing god or one that's able to see what's really on your mind. The impure thought being the same as actually doing something concept. That's religion not being content just to control your behavior but they must control your mind/thoughts too.

Oh, for sure I like some religions better than others. It's not an either/or situation though. I don't have to believe in any of them. They all have their preferred methods to control people. Some with the concept of love and reward and others thru punishment or a combination of both.

Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe.
Sin has left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

I am not talking about religion. I'm talking about the Lord God. BIG difference.
Well you are talking about religion. What you believe is dogma of the christian religions. All the other non-christian religions don't believe in Jesus as the son of god. Most religions that have existed believe in many gods. Mankind has created many, many gods throughout history. The only difference between me and you, I believe in one less god than you do.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

And why should we believe such a claim?
Great post
The only difference between me and you, I believe in one less god than you do.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Originally Posted by rainshot
Either you believe or you don't. There's no price to pay for your rebellion as long as you are alive. There in lies the rub. How much do you like to gamble?

Christianity relies on love and if those Ten Commandments were honored by all it would truly be a wonderful world. Islam relies on hate and fear. If you choose not to go along with the program you'll be murdered and their God commands it. Islam was founded in the seventh Century AD by a dope addicted pedophile and it has split along political lines, sort of. The two differing political factions kill each other and both combine to kill everyone else.

All religions revolve around some Supreme Being. We are all human and have free will to follow whatever path we wish. Being human we are free to corrupt every religion in existence. The Roman Catholic Church was founded first and split along political, sort of, lines. It has endured centuries of abuse by corrupt Papal reign but the concept has remained. History has proven there truly was a Jesus and many of the Bible's teachings are corroborated by historical artifacts.

It's your choice. Democrats mostly defy religion with their actions while revering it with their words just as they do with the Constitution. Mmmm, you decide.

A lack of conviction where there is insufficient evidence is not "rebellion."

Your proposition is " believe anyway or you die" "believe despite insufficient evidence or be damned for eternity."

That is not morality.
Well you are talking about religion. What you believe is dogma of the christian religions. All the other non-christian religions don't believe in Jesus as the son of god. Most religions that have existed believe in many gods. Mankind has created many, many gods throughout history. The only difference between me and you, I believe in one less god than you do.

You believe in one god -- you are that god, as puny and powerless as you are in eternal matters.
difficult to argue with considering the entire month of February?
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

Why do so many Christians put up pagan
Xmas trees and give their kids pagan Easter bunny eggs....LoL..

Originally Posted by strikeu
. Humans worshipped the sun, the sea, rocks, trees, lizards..you name it. Then, THEN along came Money and organized banking...Viola...organized religion and a "PAY ME" based religion system.

It's all about Money

The one God model was about the lucrative
Temple Tax...as a central system of collection.
..If you leave them to their own pagan beliefs
with shrines in their homes all across the land
it's not good for business.
... What you believe is dogma of the christian religions. All the other non-christian religions don't believe in Jesus as the son of god. ....

It's fear of a burning in hell punishment
for not believing, that makes them believe.

Christians here say they are not fearful of
their God , but it's a straight out chickenchit
Lie.

Take the conception (pun intended) of the idea of a virgin birth. That concept is part of the following religions:

- Egyptian Religions (Pharaoh Amenkept III & Ra),

- Assyrian & Babylonian Religions (Tammuz, Zoroaster, Tukulti-Ninurta II, Ashurbanipal),

- Hinduism (Krishna, Karna),

- Greco Roman Religions/Myths (Alexander the Great, Antiope, Attis: Attis, Auge, Dionysus, Melanippe, Romulus).

- Buddhism (Gautama Buddha)

- Christianity

It's an idea that been copied and written about for a long time.

The earliest gospel (Mark) makes no mention
of a virgin birth ...Something so miraculous
and extraordinary!!..but not a mention, imagine
that . whistle

Virgin births still happen today with the child coming out a different colour than the father - truely a miracle
© 24hourcampfire