Home
So...a family member decided I needed a shed. I am not allowed to have a shed by hoa rules. He was adamant he could build me a 7'×3' shed at his place, and move it discreetly to my house and tuck it under overhang. It was supposed to have matching siding and paint. I reluctantly agreed.

Fast forward two months, it now sits abandoned on my patio. Surprised hoa hasn't nailed me yet. I was thinking I'd just finish it, rather than tear it out. Here is the problem... the walls are obviously too high. I asked him about it and he gave me some bullschit oops excuse. That being said, I feel like I need to cut the sides flush, and attach another piece of sheeting on top for the roof that actually overhangs.

If I do this, how much overhang would you advise? I assume I should use drip edge, tar paper and shingles too.

It also needs siding. What do you run down the vertical corners as a "cap" for the siding?

Any advice? Should I just tear it down and abandon project?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Is that 2x6 cross piece at the edge of the roof over the doorway structural? Or was it placed there for support during transport? If just for transport, is appears you could remove it and then just flash and finish the roof.

I think you need to avoid, at all costs, having that family member doing any more construction for you, especially if he's not going to finish the job.
Dump it on his driveway and light it on fire!

Jerry
Posted By: 673 Re: Need carpenter shed advice... - 04/03/21
It looks like 5/8 T&G, so no problem with strength lol.
I would cut the walls flush as you say, and to make it simple, attach a 2x4 on the edge to give you 1-1/2" overhang for the side, or use 2 to make it 3" if you think you need more, but 1 1/2" is probably ok, flash it.

On the bottom....If the 2x4 can be taken off, I would take it off and cut the plywood off that may be in the way, lets say 4-5" along the edge, then try to slide some 2x4 pieces up to scab on the side of the existing rafters and let them hang over
10 1/2", then put a 2x4 back on and then it would be a 12" overhang. Soffit underneath.

For the corners get some smart board, 5/4 is 1" thick, 4/4 will work too, butt your siding into it, for hardi caulk where you butt into, or if its vinyl then run your J trim up the corner and run your siding into it as normal.
Oh, be sure to put a dog pillow in the corner and paint "Fido" over the door.

Then it's not a shed.

HOA's suck.

Hugely!
Thanks for the advice! The family member is retired, and trying to be helpful and bored. Then he gave up.

That 2x across the front was added later. Not sure why, almost like fascia.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The family member is retired, and trying to be helpful and bored.

Ah, retired. I was going to recommend he not quit his day job for carpentry.
Posted By: 673 Re: Need carpenter shed advice... - 04/03/21
Take the 2x off extend your rafters, scab them on, nail ot screw the schit out of them, you will be good.
I'm sure your buddy meant well, he just never finished it.
Posted By: rong Re: Need carpenter shed advice... - 04/03/21
If you are going to vinyl side it ,they sell standard corners,about $25.00/10'.
As mentioned I would run the front overhang out a little,edge ,paper and shingle.
Abort - JMO
Not sure how you would work on it without drawing attention, so you might finish it then have to get rid of it. I would just ask your friend to come and take it back since all he gave you was something to work on.
Thank him for his effort...

Next time he gets bored, ask him to cook a brisket or Boston butt....
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Abort - JMO

Hate to say it but...abort.
Could make a decent outhouse out of it.
it would make a good wet doghouse
You should definitely finish it, but only if you bring us along in this thread. That and I want first dibs at the movie rights.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Abort - JMO

Nah. Have you seen the price of plywood lately?
I'd fix it.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Abort - JMO

Nah. Have you seen the price of plywood lately?
I'd fix it.

Things are sometimes worth less than the sum of their parts....this is one of those times.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Is that 2x6 cross piece at the edge of the roof over the doorway structural? Or was it placed there for support during transport? If just for transport, is appears you could remove it and then just flash and finish the roof.

I think you need to avoid, at all costs, having that family member doing any more construction for you, especially if he's not going to finish the job.

Questionable work, left unfinished, over schedule.......

I was gonna say, get that fella a contractors license! He’s on his way! 😁
Originally Posted by Jerryv

Jerry

Yup, burn that POS
It does not look like a shed to me, it looks like a coronavirus mask storage and other life essential protection quarantine (outside of the main dwelling) decontamination space.

Coronavirus trumps HOA... if you think of it that way.

As for the deficiencies in construction I did not actually read your post... but simply put, the building is so tiny and the roof load is so miniscule there could not possibly be a concern structurally. Finish out any way you like... if it goes asunder... so what.

Strong winds in certain parts of Colorado could move the building. I doubt it weigh 600 pounds. You might want to consider that.
As bobinpa sa I'd, it gonna be hard to finish withjout attracting attention.
Manual tools and screws might make it possible. But from here,
nails are what you need.

If you finish it, you will find it usable.
Or your wife will pile it clear full.
Put a dog door on it if that might help with the
HOA Nazis.
take it apart and sell the lumber! that'll bring you about $1200 of fun money, go buy yourself a new Xbox series X with a 1TB Seagate Storage Expansion Card!

but seriously I'd shingle it and paint to match the house. it'll camouflage it enough no one will notice.make sure it's anchored someway so wind won't move it, if it spends much time in direct sunlight it will get eaten up without protection.
Around these parts that would be a good start to a fish house/ice shanty. Seriously, I would try to finish it. Heck, it's essentially in place already. Any neighbors griping yet?
Originally Posted by Jerryv

Jerry

Yes please and video it and post it up here! 🤣
ya, i would carefully dismantle it and sell the lumber. hopefully he screwed it together.
I think even that thing is salvageable if you can get away with it, and definitely shanty doable!
© 24hourcampfire