Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck More Portland, OR insanity - 04/09/21
Not a nickel for police but the city is spending $6 mill on reducing gun violence. 1/4 of that will fund what amounts to unarmed social workers on patrol. I doubt I'll be applying for the job.

Home | America
The city of Portland, Oregon has approved a plan to spend about $6 million to combat a rise in gun violence, with $1.4 million of that going towards unarmed park ranger patrols, local NBC affiliate KGW reports.

"We know this work is important," said Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell, according to Fox 12 in Oregon. "It's some of the most important work we do 'cause it really impacts people's lives and safety every day."

He added, “So we have to figure out a way where we can be effective in playing our part and be a good partner. But I will say it's very difficult to do with limited personnel and limited budget."

Mayor Ted Wheeler said that "this ordinance significantly increases funding for community-based organizations that can help us with deterrence, intervention.”

The Portland Police Bureau will receive none of the $6 million in funding. $4.1 million will go towards community groups in the neighborhoods that have been most affected by gun violence.

"That's the big corner we turned today, from one where the community is at the recipient end of policing and safety issues to one where the community is now in the driver's seat," said the Latino Network’s Tony Defalco.
Posted By: Steve Re: More Portland, OR insanity - 04/09/21
I have to drive into Portland three days a week for work. It's f'ing pathetic what the place has become.
Become? It was a hellhole back in the mid 80's.
Originally Posted by Steve
I have to drive into Portland three days a week for work. It's f'ing pathetic what the place has become.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Worse now than ever before..
Posted By: Steve Re: More Portland, OR insanity - 04/09/21
Originally Posted by rickt300

No it wasn't.

Wrong.
In the 80's Portland was a great little town. Fabulous food and great music. Last ten years has ruined the great little town on the river.

Groids and drugs.
Posted By: blanket Re: More Portland, OR insanity - 04/09/21
The social workers will be named Latasha
Back in the early eighties I worked with a guy who had spent a good deal of time living under a bridge in Portland and washing dishes to pay for his meals.

Yes he might well have been smoking a bit of the herb.

He described Burnside as quite a scitthole clear back to the late 70s.
So they want to send unarmed park rangers to deal with armed criminals? Brilliant.
[quote=Steve]I have to drive into Portland three days a week for work. It's f'ing pathetic what the place has become.[/quote

I was in Boring the other night and come down I-84 to cut across the river to get the hell out of dodge. It is a third world country out there with garbage cans put out for the homeless that they don’t use and dump truck loads of trash everywhere. It is embarrassing to think that there can be any type of tolerance for this stuff in a modern society.
Originally Posted by Sprint11
So they want to send unarmed park rangers to deal with armed criminals? Brilliant.

Wonder what happens when one of them gets shot or killed?
Posted By: logger Re: More Portland, OR insanity - 04/09/21

No it wasn't.

I worked down town from 1981 to 2005. It was a nice place in the 80s and even in the 90s.
My brother lived there for 20 years until he died in '10. He loved it. However, he was a liberal.

Being paid as an unarmed Park Ranger equals professional *Witness* with a radio.

Not sure how long it will be before one get’s shot. I can see their assess getting kicked often.

🦫
Here's what will happen, because this is what always happens.

Someone will get hurt, then sue the government for sending them to a situation that they were not trained nor equipped to handle, then it will be mandated that a policeman will have to accompany all 'social workers' and 'park rangers' to ensure their safety. But, there isn't a budget for cops because they spent it on lawyers, lawsuits, and social workers.
That's why CPS workers are accompanied by cops, why cops many times aren't allowed to render aid, heck, it's why an ambulance won't even give you a band-aid unless they are treating you....lawyers.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Wrong.

I don't know, but when I was in 8th grade (roughly 1978) we had a new kid show up he said he was from Oregon and somewhere near Portland, anyways I got to talking with him and asked him why he moved to Michigan, he said "'Cause dad said we needed to get away from all the fuqking queers". I remember it so well because the teacher heard him say this and he got in trouble for using the F word.

Remembering that, I tend to believe Oregon has been f'ed up for a while.
The Portland Police Bureau will receive none of the $6 million in funding. $4.1 million will go towards community groups in the neighborhoods that have been most affected by gun violence.

In other words...gangs.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

In other words...gangs.

Lol, that should work out swell!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Wrong.

I don't know, but when I was in 8th grade (roughly 1978) we had a new kid show up he said he was from Oregon and somewhere near Portland, anyways I got to talking with him and asked him why he moved to Michigan, he said "'Cause dad said we needed to get away from all the fuqking queers". I remember it so well because the teacher heard him say this and he got in trouble for using the F word.

Remembering that, I tend to believe Oregon has been f'ed up for a while.

My comment was based on actual time spent there in the 80s and mid 90s.

Most all big American cities have their problems and most have areas to avoid and have for a while. Ain’t no Big Rock Candy Mountains of big cities out there now for sure.

But a total scchitthole back then , it wasn’t .

In other words...gangs.

It won't even go to the gang members. It'll all be grifted, scammed off by a couple of each gangs' leaders. That's the way these ridiculous pork barrel schemes always go. Just think of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and the two communist "leaders" who formed BLM. Millions and millions of $$$$$ into their pockets. The do-right-daddies and mommas can signal how virtuous they are, all the while being ripped off completely.

L.W.
20 years back most of city was decent, 82nd was whores and drugs, Burnside was bums, the Alibina district was blacks killing blacks, but you knew what area to steer clear of. You could go downtown for dinner and drinks and it was clean and safe. Now no one but animals and retards live there because the whole city is a chithole. And trust me I know what a third world chithole looks like and most are better than Portland.
Portland has always had it’s weirdos for sure...The 80’s it wasn’t a shîthole. Crack cocaine was just starting to jump-off in the hood. Crips and Bloods, and a few fringe gangs, would shoot each other up regularly for doing dirt on each other. These issues stayed mostly in the hood.

90’s the spotted owl controversy began and timber/logging took some huge hits that had negative economical repercussions that hurt working families in smaller communities.

Our modern day Antifa was on the scene pushing animal rights of an owl. EarthFirst type activists were causing problems for industries and being a major PITA for everyone who worked near a tree.

Life was good, if you weren’t hooked on crack, lived in the hood or provided for your family by way of timber.

Definitely not a bad place in the 80’s.

🦫
Mag if you think Potland was messed up back then you should have seen Houston Tx. circa 1982
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Worse now than ever before..

I agree. We have a mayor and city council that do not support the police, mollycoddle violent mob acts and go out of their way to harrass conservatives. At the same time the DA doesn't prosecute the anarchists.

Our police are hamstrung and underfunded. They are leaving in droves. Our neighboring law enforcement groups will no longer help us in time of need.

How they arrive at decisions like this latest one with funding park rangers and "neighborhood associations" escapes me. We don't work toward resolution or even isolation we just move it around. By condoning it and legalizing drugs we are attracting people from other communities too.

Adequately funding and supporting the police is not occurring. We have gone through police chiefs at an incredible rate, have numerous officers leaving and seem unable to fill vacancies with qualified people. We have lost huge amounts of institutional knowlege and won't be able to get it back easily.

A short time ago, they got rid of the gang task force. I can't help but assume part of the reason there is more violence is the absence of the communication and familiarity that resulted from the efforts of the gang task force.
Police response to the rangers will be (justifiably) slow.
I was there in 1979 and it was a schithole then. Burnside Ave, what a schithole. My girlfriend (wife for the past 41 years) was a log burling champ and was asked to try out for a mountain dew commercial. The studio was on Burnside, I couldn't believe the schit going on there. Got the hell out of there as quickly as possible. That city sucks now and has since the 70s.
Originally Posted by tpcollins

They be dead

do the world a favor and shoot one of those lowlife [bleep] everyday that you go
Originally Posted by tpcollins

Seems obvious. More commonsense gun laws will be in order.

In other words...gangs.

Lol more, they'll probably use the money to buy more ammo and to upgrade their firearms!
Posted By: bowmanh Re: More Portland, OR insanity - 04/09/21
I worked in downtown Portland from the early 80s to 2009. Most of that time it was great being downtown. Clean, safe and no problems for the most part until after 2000 when things slowly began to deteriorate. However, the current downtown is nothing like it was in those days. It's a disgusting mess. Portland has been run by lefty Democrats for decades and their bad policies have finally taken their toll. The Portland City Council is totally dysfunctional and the policies they adopt amount to nothing more than virtue signaling. It's sad, but this is what happens when the Left gets total control of an area.
Posted By: 1minute Re: More Portland, OR insanity - 04/09/21
Live in the conservative side of Oregon (SE), and except for a couple runs to Portland's airport have not been in that city for 20+ years. Now I have absolutely no desire to go there and would be packing if I did.

All the turf east of the Cascades though, is wonderful country with great people.
You are correct about Eastern OR
Originally Posted by 1minute
Live in the conservative side of Oregon (SE), and except for a couple runs to Portland's airport have not been in that city for 20+ years. Now I have absolutely no desire to go there and would be packing if I did.

All the turf east of the Cascades though, is wonderful country with great people.
That's true...but you're outvoted.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
In the 80's Portland was a great little town. Fabulous food and great music. Last ten years has ruined the great little town on the river.

Groids and drugs.

Funny in 1986 Portland sucked bad. I couldn't get a bank to cash a Bank of America cashiers check, had to take it to one of the check cashing places who held it until it cleared. I was forced to camp down by the river for two days and during that time I had to confront some leftard jackass walking down the row of parked cars smashing windshields before he got to mine. I captured him and called the cops who took us both in. At 4am they let me go. Screw Portland then and now.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Groids and drugs.

Funny in 1986 Portland sucked bad. I couldn't get a bank to cash a Bank of America cashiers check, had to take it to one of the check cashing places who held it until it cleared. I was forced to camp down by the river for two days and during that time I had to confront some leftard jackass walking down the row of parked cars smashing windshields before he got to mine. I captured him and called the cops who took us both in. At 4am they let me go. Screw Portland then and now.

LMFAO !!!

Fuggin hilarious !
© 24hourcampfire