Home
Posted By: m_stevenson Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
We moved my safe into it’s final resting place today.
A good hand truck on the forward side and push on the top of the back side till the bottom friction is overcome. Moves pretty easily down the hallway. Getting it through the door is easy when you knock out the latch side of the door jamb because it was an inch too narrow.
It was the 90* direction change to the left that had me in a little quandary in planning this.
The solution was golf balls.
Transitioned the safe onto 100+ golf balls borrowed from a neighbor and rolled that safe right into place. Easy peasy.
My helpers were amazed that it worked.
I just enjoyed the fact that a problem was solved without grunting, groaning and getting hurt or putting a hole in a wall.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Lol, didn't you just put that door jam up?

Finally, golf balls became useful!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Titleist PRO V1’s are awesome golf balls.

😬🦫
Now you are ready to start building pyramids!

Glad it was a success.

Mike
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
I have found using a rug (polyester side downing the floor/rubber side up to grip the metal) does the best on my wood floors and linoleum laundry room floors. Scoots right across them.

Doesn’t work so good on carpet but I can wiggle it on carpet.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Pvc pipe works well. Easy to negotiate corners and rolls well over carpet.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Lol, didn't you just put that door jam up?

Finally, golf balls became useful!

Yep, brand new house, tearing it up.

Exactly right on the golf balls. That’s a game I never found to be worth a crap.
I offered to rent the neighbor’s golf balls, he’s a guy that sells used ones.
The look on his face was priceless. Like a cow at a new gate. LOL!
He handed me two 5 gallon buckets full and said he didn’t want any money but he wanted video, good or bad. LOL!
Posted By: keith Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Is the house on a slab or raised foundation with a crawl way?
Originally Posted by keith
Is the house on a slab or raised foundation with a crawl way?

Ranch home on a basement, why?
Posted By: Morewood Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10

😬🦫

Agree. But they're too expensive to be shoving under safes. Top Flite is a good choice.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
moving a safe? I just hire someone. smile
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by Beaver10

😬🦫

Agree. But they're too expensive to be shoving under safes. Top Flite is a good choice.

Here's a man who knows his golf balls!
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
I recruited a big, sturdy kid who worked with me to bring my safe home. I paid him $50 and lunch. The LGS I bought it from loaned me a hand truck. We ended up bruised, battered and sore for days afterward!
Originally Posted by JeffyD
I recruited a big, sturdy kid who worked with me to bring my safe home. I paid him $50 and lunch. The LGS I bought it from loaned me a hand truck. We ended up bruised, battered and sore for days afterward!

Work smarter not harder. Power is your friend.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by JeffyD

They must not be very sturdy in New Jersey. I had 3 guys helping me, one of which was a big old 17 year old cornfed TN boy. Once we got my safe in the front door, he told us to get out of the way, and hossed that sumbitch to my bedroom all by himself. I told him right then that, if he ever bowed up on me, I wouldn't even attempt to fight him, but would dump a magazine full of 9MM into him as fast as I could pull the trigger................
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
I wonder if them golf balls ... got used again... how would they be ...lol
Posted By: Windfall Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
I can't believe the size of some of these things. Buddies have theirs in the garage, but here in the frozen north, condensation is always an issue. My solution was to not buy such a big safe to begin with and not buy so many new guns, an abhorrent suggestion to lots of the Fire folks. Honestly if it wasn't for the F-150 and gravity, backing the safe down the stairs into the basement wouldn't have happened.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
So, it takes.balls to move a gun safe!
Posted By: RDW Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
We moved my safe into it’s final resting place today.
A good hand truck on the forward side and push on the top of the back side till the bottom friction is overcome. Moves pretty easily down the hallway. Getting it through the door is easy when you knock out the latch side of the door jamb because it was an inch too narrow.
It was the 90* direction change to the left that had me in a little quandary in planning this.
The solution was golf balls.
Transitioned the safe onto 100+ golf balls borrowed from a neighbor and rolled that safe right into place. Easy peasy.
My helpers were amazed that it worked.
I just enjoyed the fact that a problem was solved without grunting, groaning and getting hurt or putting a hole in a wall.

I don't golf so I grabbed a joint of 1.5" pvc and cut it into 24" sections and it worked great, my safe is 450 empty and I moved it in about 15 minutes without scratching anything.

Closet rod would work far better.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by StGeorger
So, it takes.balls to move a gun safe!

It takes leather balls to play rugby.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
I wanted the safe in my closet. Fortunately the MB has a door and small patio to the backyard. Hardest part was getting it into and out of the truck by myself.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
There are safes and there are SAFES and we have moved three within the past year - 250 miles. Two of those are SAFES and no "hand truck" of the usual sort would work - at all. Create low angle ramps. I always have used pieces of pipe - if workable cut 2 or so inches longer than the narrower dimension of the safe, and roll with forethought. This time found out that 1" sched 40 pvc (or whatever) pipe works great. The first and last few inches seem to be the most challenging..
My safe is 780 lbs empty.
I had done a dry run int the living room attempting to do the 90* left turn in a very confined space. The doorway to the guest bedroom has a closet wall 39” straight in from the door. The safe is 36” across. My attempts to use broom handle pieces as rollers wouldn’t work in that confined space.
The golf balls worked so well that my petite wife was able to push the safe across the room easily by herself.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Moving a gun safe - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
My safe is 780 lbs empty.
I had done a dry run int the living room attempting to do the 90* left turn in a very confined space. The doorway to the guest bedroom has a closet wall 39” straight in from the door. The safe is 36” across. My attempts to use broom handle pieces as rollers wouldn’t work in that confined space.
The golf balls worked so well that my petite wife was able to push the safe across the room easily by herself.
Good planing - good result.
© 24hourcampfire