Home
Posted By: rufous Gun values? - 04/12/21
My step died last April and my mom has 3 of his guns. I would like to get a reasonable price estimate for them.

One is a Rem 700 BDL with varmint weight barrel in .223 Remington. It is probably about 30 years old and is used. I shot it today with some of his moly coated hand loads. One of them put 5 shots into 0.47" at 100 yards. Scope is a cheap Simmons.

He also had a Remington 541T 22 rimfire bolt action with the heavy barrel and a cheap Tasco scope.

The 3rd gun is a Remington pump action Game master Model 141 in 35 Remington with an old fixed power scope that has a cross hair and post. I cannot tell what power it is or who made it. I think one of the rings is covering that info but it says Patented in El Paso, TX. I would guess it is about 2x.

The pump gun is decent condition but does have some rust.

Thanks!
Posted By: rem141r Re: Gun values? - 04/12/21
condition is everything

Posted By: rufous Re: Gun values? - 04/12/21
P.S. serial number on the 35 Remington is 11430 so I think it was made in 1935 but if someone can verify that I would appreciate it.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Gun values? - 04/12/21
Those old Remington BDL Varmint Specials bring good money! And most are very accurate too ! My old 6mm version is pretty much a one hole group gun with just about every load I’ve ever tried.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Gun values? - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by rufous
P.S. serial number on the 35 Remington is 11430 so I think it was made in 1935 but if someone can verify that I would appreciate it.

that sounds like an early gun but the date code on the left side of the barrel near the receiver is the assembly date. should be 3 letters and numbers.

https://m.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/remington_barrel_date_code.html
Posted By: wink_man Re: Gun values? - 04/12/21

You want to find the date code on the left side of the barrel right by the receiver and match it up to this chart for the correct month/year of manufacture. You will probably need a magnifying glass to read it, it's generally very very small.

Remington Date Codes

The serial number was only a help when Remington was still in business. You could call them, or ask on their website.
Posted By: las Re: Gun values? - 04/12/21
Wasn't Weaver out of El Paso?
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Gun values? - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by las

My thought, also.
Originally Posted by las

Yep. Originally.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Gun values? - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by las

My thought, also.

This may help with value.....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897033554 A few days left on this action, will probably go higher.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Acti...ufacturerName=Remington&Ch-model=541

https://www.gunbroker.com/Pump-Acti...ufacturerName=Remington&Ch-model=141
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Gun values? - 04/12/21
Gun value is not a Blue book thing anymore, That varmint special may fetch way more than you can imagine on the right auction.
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Gun value is not a Blue book thing anymore, That varmint special may fetch way more than you can imagine on the right auction.

Yep. They bring big money around here and sell quickly!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Gun values? - 04/12/21

More than a pawn shop will pay.
Less than a pawn shop will charge.
Posted By: rufous Re: Gun values? - 04/13/21
Looks like it is stamped CF, maybe CE. So probably made in April of 1937.
My step dad was born in April of 1937. I really don't have much (if any) use for a 35 Remington pump gun but maybe I should hang onto this one.
Actually I just proposed that my mother give it to his grandson who is in the army and is training to be a helicopter pilot.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Gun values? - 04/13/21
Actually I just proposed that my mother give it to his grandson who is in the army and is training to be a helicopter pilot.

That is a good thing to do. Bet the reason your step dad bought it was because it was made around the same time he was born.

I love collecting any gun that was made October 1970.
© 24hourcampfire