Home
My old 22-250 is shot out. Touch the lands and the neck barely has a toe hold. Not worth playing with.

The search was on. Savage (No damned Axis) Bergara and Tikka. Nothing, sold out everywhere. Only one I could find I'd have to drive 3 hours to get.

Stopped in a shop today. The proprietor strongly recommended the Tikka T3x Varmint. I told him to get it as soon as he can. He has to call and ask.

On a list anyway, hoping Tikka is all what people here say it is. $890 gamble.
Why not re-barrel the old gal with a quality barrel?
Posted By: hanco Re: At least I'm on a list now. - 04/14/21
Put a fast twist barrel on your old rifle.
Originally Posted by hanco
Put a fast twist barrel on your old rifle.

Damn straight Hanco.... go 1/8 twister and live a little
You dont need no gawddamn 1:8 twist to shoot a 40 grainer.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Good grief Jim.... it isn't the 1960's anymore.... I know thing progress slow on the hi-line.... jeebus
Originally Posted by irfubar

I have kind of a different idea with that. Thinking maybe a fast twist 243 or 6mm creedmoor. I have a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor that shoots great. But I want a heavy too. 26" .8 muzzle. Bench Rest stock from Richards with a 3" wide forearm.

Good grief Jim.... it isn't the 1960's anymore.... I know thing progress slow on the hi-line.... jeebus

I cant hit the damn things out past 500 anyway.
Originally Posted by Armednfree

I have kind of a different idea with that. Thinking maybe a fast twist 243 or 6mm creedmoor. I have a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor that shoots great. But I want a heavy too. 26" .8 muzzle. Bench Rest stock from Richards with a 3" wide forearm.

Sounds like a man with a plan..... go forth and multiply smile

Hellfire & brimstone.... maybe if you quit shooting the 40 gr ping pong balls in gale force hi-line winds you might connect at 500 or more yards... hint.... I channeled my inner Big Stick smile
Posted By: JimH Re: At least I'm on a list now. - 04/14/21
My old 22-250 is shot out. Touch the lands and the neck barely has a toe hold. Not worth playing with.

The search was on. Savage (No damned Axis) Bergara and Tikka. Nothing, sold out everywhere. Only one I could find I'd have to drive 3 hours to get.

Stopped in a shop today. The proprietor strongly recommended the Tikka T3x Varmint. I told him to get it as soon as he can. He has to call and ask.

I would definitely look at the Tikka, especially stainless.

Hellfire & brimstone.... maybe if you quit shooting the 40 gr ping pong balls in gale force hi-line winds you might connect at 500 or more yards... hint.... I channeled my inner Big Stick smile

I shoot a 142 matchking when it get beeezy.

How much is a unshot new in box early to mid 90,s ruger 77 worth ?

Asking for a friend.

Boo-lits matter.
Hint...
Buncha dumbfuggery window lickers.
And no splendid pixels either.

Or a fish.

Never forget the fish....
I've got a 1-8 twist T3x stainless LH that shoots 70 grain Barnes TSX very well! Fine shooting iron.

I own a 22-250 for one reason, and one only.......to shoot a 40 grain bullet as fast and as accurately as I can. If I want to shoot heavy bullets, I go with a 243.

The 22-250 gained it's popularity and reputation with bullets 55 grains and less. My heavy load for the 22-250 is a 52 grain bullet.

I have a savage 112 lam stock,bull barrel with 20 power leupold for 850
The Tikka will serve you well. The idea is that heavier bullets are less susceptible to wind drift. The 22-250 is a great cartridge. You didn't say what you have currently but re-barreling is an option.
Currently we have a blight on anything new in guns and ammo. looks like Antifa and BLM are gearing up for a fight. pity
Posted By: hanco Re: At least I'm on a list now. - 04/15/21
I have a Tikka Fast twist 22-250, shoots 62 Barnes and 62 Bear Claws real well.
Tikka is ok but I'm pretty conservative . Did you have a gunsmith look at it to see if a set back and rechambering it would give you some more barrel life? First thing I'd do , retire no barrel until it's really fugging shot. Mb
Posted By: horse1 Re: At least I'm on a list now. - 04/15/21

You must have a 1:3" twist 22-250 to shoot 142's.
If the only thing separating me from what I wanted was a three hour drive, Iā€™d be in the car. Good luck with your tikka.

Few can, but everyone sets up to shoot a mile šŸ˜ƒ
ArmednFree: For that money, if I were you, I would do what I do when perusing 22-250 Varmint Rifles!
And that is, look on the used market for a lightly used Remington 700 in any one of the many heavy barrel models that Remington offered over the decades last.
I have 9 (nine) of these currently, including a Remington 40XB, and each and every one of them shoots VERY well.
Best of luck to you whichever way you go - the 22-250 Remington is an outstanding cartridge.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
You can't go wrong with a Tikka. The only thing I dislike about them is that single feeding is hit and miss. Savage is a love/hate affair as they definitely shoot. However, they just aren't as refined and feed/extraction isn't as solid as a Tikka. Bergara looks nice but have zero experience with.
I'm going to replace the barrel on my Savage. I hate the 14 twist barrel.
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I've got a 1-8 twist T3x stainless LH that shoots 70 grain Barnes TSX very well! Fine shooting iron.

I think they only made a small run or 8 twist's. All I see now are 14's. Hopefully it will handle a 55 grain. My old Remington would handle a 55gr SP at .734' long, a 50 grain Nosler BT at .784" but not a 55 gr VMAX at .817" long. It didn't key hole, just didn't shoot well.
Posted By: jnyork Re: At least I'm on a list now. - 04/16/21
[ But I want a heavy too. 26" .8 muzzle. Bench Rest stock from Richards with a 3" wide forearm.

I just finished such a stock myself for my 40X. Got the "psychedelic" laminate. They couldn't provide a stock with the barrel channel hogged out enough so I had to do that myself, Dremel tool and barrel channel rasp worked fine. Got it bedded. Be ready to have some patience and plenty of sandpaper on hand, the outside of the stock was quite rough with deep router marks like maybe they had a dull router blade. Several coats of Truoil sanded between coats, looks great. Haven't shot it yet, weather has been to crappy.
Mine's a slow twist. It'll handle a 55gr beautifully but I've never tried larger ones to see what they'll do. I've only used it once on semi big game - an antelope. The 55 hammered it. No larger one needed for that.
Posted By: Huntz Re: At least I'm on a list now. - 04/16/21
Originally Posted by horse1

You must have a 1:3" twist 22-250 to shoot 142's.

Yar!!!!
SCREW IT!!! ain't nothing available. I ordered a Remage from Criterion Barrels. Barrel, gauges, recoil lug, action wrench, nut wrench and this part that keeps the lug in place. $580. Another $80 for the action vice. Hope it goes well.
Originally Posted by JimH

I would definitely look at the Tikka, especially stainless.

I would listen to Jimbo, all he does it look
© 24hourcampfire