Home
Posted By: roundoak Shot a home decoration today - 04/17/21
Shot a paper wasp nest down with an old reliable single shot 20 gauge. Stevens M 94. 2 3/4" Federal Hi-Power # 4.

Took it in the house and showed my wife and suggested it would look nice hanging near the fireplace. She was not thrilled, so it is going to reside in a shed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
You may want to let it reside outside for a while.
I’ve seen them bring $100 on Craigslist for “lodge” decoration.
That be a Hornets nest!
Saw the title and thought sure it was a Slumlord post shootin’ the chit out of a Santa decoration.
great patch material for a muzzle stuffer
Might suggest that the larva hatch before placing indoors. Just a suggestion though.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Saw the title and thought sure it was a Slumlord post shootin’ the chit out of a Santa decoration.

That wouldn't fare well for presents under his tree come December 25.
Cool Wayne. we had one about size, I wish I'd have saved it.
Heck I'd hang that thing somewhere it' scare the begeebees out of someone.

Can you imagine coming around a corner and that thing is right in your face!
Place it in a garbage bag and leave it overnight in a freezer. Spray it with clear varnish from a rattle can and it will stay together for many years out of the weather. If left in a shed, raccoons will tear it apart for the dark honey if they can get to it.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

First thought that crossed my mind as well.
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Place it in a garbage bag and leave it overnight in a freezer. Spray it with clear varnish from a rattle can and it will stay together for many years out of the weather. If left in a shed, raccoons will tear it apart for the dark honey if they can get to it.

This.
If you have carpenter bees, hang that nest up under the eaves of your house. Believe it or not carpenter bees are scared of paper wasps, and seeing that nest will run off the carpenter bees.
I have a fake wasp nest. It is a paper bag stuffed with paper and about the size and shape of a paper wasp nest. I just hung it up 3 days ago, now that it is carpenter bee season, and believe it or not it runs off 90 percent of the carpenter bees.
I found one the size of a basketball laying in the woods in squirrel season a few years ago.
It was cold enough that I just picked it up and brought it home. I knew Penny would want it.
I didn’t wanna take any chances though. Getting stung ain’t on my list of enjoyable activities.
I stuck it in a big trash bag with a pretty liberal dose of Raid bug killer, tied it shut.
After that hung it in the shed over the winter. Indoors, they’ll last indefinitely with very little care.

7mm
Only did the shotgun on the wasp nest thing once. Back in the 70's when a buddy had what I was told was an active White Faced Hornet nest right near his cabin. We got about 5 of us together with shotguns at the base of the tree and on command, all fired one round into the nest and ran like hell. Nest was destroyed and they never returned to that tree. Had a big wasp nest in a tree in the woods across the road a few years ago. Few feet into the woods and not easily visible from the road. Would have never noticed it until I heard a buzzing noise as I walked down the road. I can't see using them as home decoration but that sure would be a different interior decorating motif.
Clicked on this thinking it was gonna be about mistletoe. 🤷🤷

#hohoho
Burn that thing
My cousin and I shot at one while squirrel hunting in East Texas. Hornets chased us and stung my cousin a few times. While he was running, he dropped his gun. We had to go back after they had calmed down to retrieve his shotgun!
I might add we were about ten years old, and stupid at the time!
Posted By: DMc Re: Shot a home decoration today - 10/18/21
Speculated it was a lawn jockey...
My heavy equipment mechanic picked one up a few years ago and brought it home in his pickup. Got about 20 miles down the road and with the heat on, the bald face hornets started coming out of the nest. Abrupt stop, opened both doors and pushed the nest out the door with a shovel.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Shot a home decoration today - 10/18/21
Had a third-grade student bring one in. Sat in the room for a spell. One night I was up working on papers when I noticed it start to shake. Threw it in the back of the truck and tossed it in a ditch.

Thanks, Bemder - nice to have someone to pull my pants up when my ass is hanging out.
I shot the neighbor lady's ceramic garden gnomes with my BB gun when I was a kid. My mind instantly went there when I read the thread title.
That's a nice bald-faced hornet's nest.
I have four live ones hanging on my front porch right now. Keeps down the foot traffic..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Had a third-grade student bring one in. Sat in the room for a spell. One night I was up working on papers when I noticed it start to shake. Through it in the back of the truck and tossed it in a ditch.

Through it...?

C'mon, man!

smile
https://i.postimg.cc/XYV9s53b/20211015-174111.jpg

Found this while hunting.
Esox357
That's a different species. Nice example of Dolichovespula arenaria, or Yellow Hornet.
Nice no idea. I left it alone. I was thinking about trying to take it but common sense prevailed
Esox357, they are a very early species, meaning if you were hunting in fall that nest you found would most likely have been abandoned. Anyway you had better things to do (hunting) and "most likely" isn't exactly a guarantee..
When they are fully occupied you almost always see workers on the exterior laying down more paper/expanding the nest as in this pic

I would like to report that no hornets were injured or killed in the taking of the nest and nothing emerged from the nest while in the shed.
Thing looks like Norman Bates mother's wig.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Thing looks like Norman Bates mother's wig.

laugh

longarm - wasp whisperer
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Shot a home decoration today - 10/19/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Had a third-grade student bring one in. Sat in the room for a spell. One night I was up working on papers when I noticed it start to shake. Through it in the back of the truck and tossed it in a ditch.

Through it...?

C'mon, man!

smile

Good lord, what an idiot! Thanks for catching it. Mrs. Roberts and Mrs. Mefferd would have my nuts.
© 24hourcampfire