Home
Posted By: mjbgalt Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
New 22/250 Savage model 10. First cartridge chambered and ejected fine. Second went in most of the way with a bit of reluctance and then stopped. Now it won't come out and I have a loaded cartridge stuck. Extractor tore a bit of brass off and skipped over.

Would really rather not unscrew the barrel and go thru that hassle.

Anyone got tricks? Think I will pass on hammering a rod down the barrel lol
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
I always clean the barrel and chamber on a new gun. I skipped a step and here we are...
Posted By: jnyork Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Set the rifle upright and pour some Kroil down the bore. Let it set overnight. THEN, put the rod down the bore and give it a little tap, should come right out..
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Originally Posted by jnyork
Set the rifle upright and pour some Kroil down the bore. Let it set overnight. THEN, put the rod down the bore and give it a little tap, should come right out..

It’s not rocket science , is it?
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
New 22/250 Savage model 10. First cartridge chambered and ejected fine. Second went in most of the way with a bit of reluctance and then stopped. Now it won't come out and I have a loaded cartridge stuck. Extractor tore a bit of brass off and skipped over.

Easy. Cleaning rod down the barrel. Face muzzle (with rod in it) down range, but towards a post or wall. Shove the rifle muzzle, with rod inserted, into the post or wall. Out pops the stuck cartridge.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
wooden rod and hammer
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Easy. Cleaning rod down the barrel. Face muzzle (with rod in it) down range, but towards a post or wall. Shove the rifle muzzle, with rod inserted, into the post or wall. Out pops the stuck cartridge.

I read "face muzzle" and almost experienced a moment of TDS......then I continued reading...
Good process.
Remove the bolt first so you have one less thing flopping around.
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Is the end of the barrel threaded? This would work. Messy though.

Piece of drill rod down the barrel is probably a lot easier.

Jerry
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
A squirt of penetrating oil, a 3/16” wood dowel, and a sharp rap with a mallet.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Hydraulics is your friend.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Hydraulics is your friend.

Jag on rod, into the muzzle, lower until it touches, mark your rod. Fill the bore partially w/Kroil. Now, get a very tight patch onto the jag and work the patch/jag down to create hydraulic pressure. If you're getting too close to the mark and you haven't popped the case out yet, remove the whole works, tighter patch, more Kroil, rinse-repeat.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Good, experienced suggestions above - i tend to prefer the hydraulic methods.
So far I have not tried the grease gun idea but the others are a no go so far.

Will keep trying to get it loose.

May just say the hell with it and unscrew the barrel
As a former helicopter mechanic, if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer laugh

Mike
What are you hitting the dowel with ? How big a hammer?
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Have you tried air pressure? Like with a compressor and a nozzle?
Lol not hitting anything with a hammer. One of our members here did that and set off the round in the chamber.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
I would not dump oil in barrel, you're asking for even bigger mess. Throw the barreled action in the freezer overnight, then try to gently tap it out. I'd pull barrel and grab head with locking pliers, but if you don't have the tools....
i have the tools. Just didn't want to dick with the whole process. Looks like I am going to anyway
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Freeze trick works. I've done it, but needs to freeze overnight. The metals will contract
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
How about a hilti? They make an adapter to drive ground rods which should work in theory.
If you were super careful and lined up everything extremely precise, it may be possible to shoot it out with another rifle of same or smaller caliber also. I've never tried it or know anyone that has, but theres no reason it wouldn't work.
Posted By: SocialFinger Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain
If you were super careful and lined up everything extremely precise, it may be possible to shoot it out with another rifle of same or smaller caliber also. I've never tried it or know anyone that has, but theres no reason it wouldn't work.

Alignment would be a minor concern.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
My experience with badly stuck cartridges is minimal but successful. The hydraulic method spreads force against more surface of the bullet and case, and forces liquid into any available space between case and chamber, and avoids sharp blows on tip of bullet which might - - - - -.

On that Savage, I might choose to remove the barrel.
Tapped. Lost the slotted piece on my cleaning rod but it was better than ruining the threads by taking it out first.

It came out. Now time to examine and clean
Posted By: slumlord Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Shuck another one up in there and see if it’s the gun.
Spray some Seafoam in there.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
So far I have not tried the grease gun idea but the others are a no go so far.

Will keep trying to get it loose.

May just say the hell with it and unscrew the barrel

Get a can of butane or freeze off (break free type product that chills the target)
Try hitting the cartridge with that with a chemical heat pack around the chamber
(Shrink the cartrige, expand the chamber.)

That's how they set critical bearings...

Thats what i get for not reading all the way to the end...
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Its free. All good.

I just set it up 200 yards away from my bench and fired up the red ryder and put a BB right down the bore.

Hold into the wind. Lol
Originally Posted by Sycamore

It just hit me, you should take the bolt out of the gun with the stuck case, so it and the bullet from the other gun can exit the rear of the action. And wear ear plugs. Safety first.
Its free. All good.

I just set it up 200 yards away from my bench and fired up the red ryder and put a BB right down the bore.

Hold into the wind. Lol

You know what renegade would say.... Pics or it never happened.
High BC bbs are the way to go.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Tapped. Lost the slotted piece on my cleaning rod but it was better than ruining the threads by taking it out first.

It came out. Now time to examine and clean

We will be curious to hear if that cures the problem. Were you shooting factory ammo?
Glad you got it!

Mike

Jackmountain got me though and for that I am ashamed!!! laugh

Mike
Posted By: MOGC Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Just for clarity... Are you saying somebody on the Fire had a cartridge stuck in the bore, put a rod down the muzzle end of the bore to tap/push the cartridge rearward out of the chamber, tapped the rod against the bullet to jar the round loose and ignited the primer?
Originally Posted by MOGC
Just for clarity... Are you saying somebody on the Fire had a cartridge stuck in the bore, put a rod down the muzzle end of the bore to tap/push the cartridge rearward out of the chamber, tapped the rod against the bullet to jar the round loose and ignited the primer?

That is correct.

That is correct.

they were smoking crack too
Posted By: 673 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
I worry about that happening whilst out hunting...that is why I carry a 3 pc rod in my hunting pack.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
take it to a real gunsmith and let him fix it period.
Guess some folks don't shoot muzzle loaders..
This was a cartridge which was loaded from new brass. Something caused it to be too big to chamber or a tiny bit of something in the chamber.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/17/21
Think I will pass on hammering a rod down the barrel lol

Why LOL? That is the correct thing to do and it's safe unless you have the bolt closed.

Remember, the cartridge doesn't contain the pressure, the barrel / chamber steel do that, the cartridge case is just a high pressure gasket. with the bolt open, even if the cartridge does fire (which it won't), it'll just blow the back of the case out through the action, it won't send the bullet, or the rod, out hard enough to be a problem.
Bump
You could also hold the bolt against the base of the stuck cartridge as tight as possible and squeeze the trigger. I would squint real hard and look to the side just in case.
Thought of that one. Hold into the danger.
Tippy top
Bob you're really enjoying this lol
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Tippy Top
Originally Posted by gregintenn
A squirt of penetrating oil, a 3/16” wood dowel, and a sharp rap with a mallet.

That
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Beat on the back of the bolt with a rubbber mallet till you can get it closed, then pull the trigger. Easy Peasy.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Just FYI again...I got it out already
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21

Did the case give you any clues as to where it was stuck?
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Headstamp said .308 😁
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Oddly, no. Appears it just needed the shoulder pushed back but it was a new case...so...?
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
I woulda pounded the bolt closed and fired her off!

Glad you got it unstuck
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Dropping a rod down the bore has always done it for me.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Remove bolt and hold upright. Smack stock on the ground butt first, should loosed it up. Gunsmith is next option.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
I had case head separation today and got the case stuck in the chamber. I pushed an ear plug down the case and used plastic epoxy to fill the case. Once it hardened I just used my cleaning rod to tap it out. Easy.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Clever trick, I'll have to remember that.
Posted By: okie Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Hydraulic method using oil and a lead slug with a wood dowel. The slug will seal at the muzzle easily. No different from slugging a bore with soft lead.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21

My friend Johns 300 Salvage. We determined he needs small base dies for this rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I repaired the stock and got it back to him a a few months ago.

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
He set it off in his living room and never found most of the brass case.
Posted By: deflave Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Jesus Christ.

He musta really given that ramrod the ol' heeve-hoe.

LOL
Posted By: waterrat Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
I have a 30" brass dowel 1/4" diameter that works perfect. AIH for not to much I recollect .
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by MPat70
I had case head separation today and got the case stuck in the chamber. I pushed an ear plug down the case and used plastic epoxy to fill the case. Once it hardened I just used my cleaning rod to tap it out. Easy.

I have a section of fifty cal cleaning rod welded to an ez out for just that eventuality.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
I recall some story (40 years ago now) of a benchrest shooter getting a live round stuck and removing the bolt and tapping the catridge back out using a cleaning rod done the muzzle. The round detonated as it was ejected (how?) and a piece of thr brass hit his nearby wife in the chest causing a fatal injury. I thought this happened over here but don't have any details.

When I was experimenting with cast loads in my 458 I ran into an issue where the powder didn't ignite and the primer blew the projectile into the start if the rifling. It was surprisingly hard to remove and I ended up breaking and wedging a wooden dowel in the barrel. I had a gunsmith remove bullet and dowel for me - he melted out the projectile and then the dowel was knocked out.

I now have a steel rod with a 9mm case jammed on the end as a ramrod but haven't had to use it. Lesson learned was even medium powders are too slow for cast and ignition gets weird - hangfires are a warning sign.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by jnyork

There it is.
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
I recall some story (40 years ago now) of a benchrest shooter getting a live round stuck and removing the bolt and tapping the catridge back out using a cleaning rod done the muzzle. The round detonated as it was ejected (how?) and a piece of thr brass hit his nearby wife in the chest causing a fatal injury. I thought this happened over here but don't have any details.

When I was experimenting with cast loads in my 458 I ran into an issue where the powder didn't ignite and the primer blew the projectile into the start if the rifling. It was surprisingly hard to remove and I ended up breaking and wedging a wooden dowel in the barrel. I had a gunsmith remove bullet and dowel for me - he melted out the projectile and then the dowel was knocked out.

I now have a steel rod with a 9mm case jammed on the end as a ramrod but haven't had to use it. Lesson learned was even medium powders are too slow for cast and ignition gets weird - hangfires are a warning sign.

That bench rest story sounds like the one that happened in St. Louis Missouri at the super shoot. The case hit the wife in the heart and she died right there. I wasn’t there so I didn’t witness it but I know 2 guys that did. Wife stayed behind the rifle when the husband removed the bolt. He went to tap it out and it went off and launched the cleaning rod out of his hand. Everyone went to laughing because they thought no one got hurt then his wife discovered she had been hit in the chest. I know it doesn’t sound plausible but it happened some how. It might be why all the bench rest shooters quit neck sizing and started setting their shoulders back .002!!!

I asked for more information about this incident on another forum and a guy posted this link. Sound like it has happened more than once. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?62124-Stuck-live-cartridge/page2
Posted By: rem141r Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/18/21
sell it outside a gunshow

#borelightsareforsissies
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/19/21
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Stuck case in rifle - 04/25/21
Mystery solved. I resized all the brass after finding that a few more were very tight in the chamber.

Turns out a few in the mix were once fired, not new...primer pockets dirty, showing use.

Just a case of a rifle with a bigger chamber firing them and they got mixed in with a batch for a rifle with a smaller chamber.
© 24hourcampfire