Home
Posted By: DigitalDan Feral cats - 04/18/21
Have one that just started hanging around, chasing bunnies etc. Don't care for such antics at all. Grey tabby with white feet. Though I shoot frequently on the property it is discreet and properly focused in context of safety. Not saying I won’t pull out a scattergun if need be but it’s a last resort.

So a few minutes ago I introduced the tabby to a pack of Black Cats. Laffed ‘til I had a wet eyes. Little bit of motivation and the little bastid turned into a 4 alarm acrobat. Damn near tied itself into a knot. 😂🤣😎
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
You are a bad, bad man.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Tabby needs to meet Mr. CB.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
My dad used to say..

.. "so many cats, so few recipe's"!
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Fluffy puffer?
Can you get credit at the local stir fry restaurant?
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Next time. FILM IT.
Posted By: viking Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Tabby cat meets Black cats 😂.

If you timed it right a 22 could have been disguised as black cats, just saying 🤔
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
We used to shoot any feral cat we saw. Cats kill 1.7 billion song birds each year.
Posted By: TwoEyedJack Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
One of my buddies use to have a mink raising operation. A few times a year we would do feral cat control. The shooters would position on one end of the shed, another guy would walk through. When the cats would come piling out we would blast them with unplugged shotguns. Good times.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
I used to hunt fox on a piece of property and the first time I asked permission to hunt there, the owner said, "You can hunt under one condition: you shoot every damn cat you see. People keep dropping them off and I'm overrun with 'em." Needless to say, I grinned and agreed. Did just that, too. Bagged and disposed of them as well. The landowner was VERY happy.

ps: A Hornet with 35-gr VMaxes makes an "inside out" cat.

pps: the backwards Mexican phrase for Taco is O-Cat! Learned that on the streets of Nuevo Laredo, long away and far ago.
And here I thought this was gonna be a Rocky Raab Classic Post.........

"Cat is actually a delicious, affordable and nutritious protein source"..........
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Sub sonic 22 LR
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
We used to shoot any feral cat we saw. Cats kill 1.7 billion song birds each year.

...and yet the song birds just keep coming back.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Good times.

I don't mind a few barn cats around for keeping the mice under control, but if I suspect they're doing anything more than that they get dealt with. Blackcats do sound like an entertaining, if not ironic, starting method of control. I may have to try that.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Lived in Key Largo for 7 years and dispatched 27 cats with CB’s. One shot, one flop every time. Then I grew up and started killing hogs with them and realized how well they penetrate. A cat won’t stop one and I won’t be plinking fluffy here in the neighborhood with those little demons. Random ricochets aren’t your buddy in this setting. OTOH, I know what #6 birdshot will do and the lot is a bit more than 1,000’ x 300’. I don’t mind the neighbors hearing the boom, just don’t want to shoot them. Yet.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

...and yet the song birds just keep coming back.

Actually their population numbers are way down. Cats are one reason. Other reasons are the destruction of forests in the tropics (where they overwinter) and carving up the US more and more into smaller woodlots, which lets raccoons rob their nests easier. Night time lighting in cities has increased manyfold in the last 50 years, as has human population, and they get confused and fly into buildings when migrating at night.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Box trap, tuna.
22, muzzle to the head.

Let's you contain everything, no chance of evidence running off.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
We have 4 barn cats. Haven’t seen them kill a bird, seen no feather piles in several years.

Matter of fact we have cardinals and finches that eat the fire out of their dry cat food in my woodpile shed. Started feeding them in the evenings. We got songbirds out the ass, people I have on speaker phone while I’m outside mention the background ‘noise’.

Could just be our farm cats are just lazy.
Posted By: kingston Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
...people I have on speaker phone while I’m outside mention the background ‘noise’.

When you gonna send me them digits?
A few dead birds is a small price to pay to give the mice hell.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
I've killed so much stuff in my life.
I've dissected the flesh of countles tens of thousands more.
I'll never discard my big game hunting lifestyle, but killing for killing doesn't get me off anymore.
I kind of pity those that do.
Posted By: Sharpshooter97 Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
The 17 hmr is my preferred ditch tiger caliber.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Feral cats - 04/18/21
I don't shoot feral cats anymore. They are a delicacy for the coyotes here.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Have some 'yotes wander thru from time to time, but apparently they are gay.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Here on the "town" place, feral cats and skunks want to set up housekeeping under our home.
The feral cats beat the daylights out of our old, neutered, cat - so they go.
I use live traps, baited with mackerel - the "unwanted's" take a 1 way ride to the ranch.
#6 shot just works!
Early on, I caught the resident cat ( a VERY smart critter) -shook the livin' HELL out of that trap - and have never caught her again.
"The Warden" and half the folks that live here would have never forgiven me, if they even dreamed I'd shot her. smile
Since "The Warden" feeds me warm meals, and lets me sleep indoors - I TRY to keep her more-or-less happy. smile
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Tabby needs to meet Mr. CB.

no just a quick & quiet 17M2

those bastards are eating my young song birds & bunnies in the nest........

B A N G

300 BO with a 110 Nozler & 9/Blue Dot work well too
Posted By: hanco Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
We killed every cat we saw when I quail hunted. Trapped a lot of them too on the place I leased.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Feral cats should be another genus unto themselves.

Lol.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
I LIKE, cats that hunt!
Posted By: kingston Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
A cat thread isn't a cat thread unless it was started by the TN Mafia.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I've killed so much stuff in my life.
I've dissected the flesh of countles tens of thousands more.
I'll never discard my big game hunting lifestyle, but killing for killing doesn't get me off anymore.
I kind of pity those that do.

Been like that for 20 + years.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Sadly, the coyotes keep the feral cat population at about zero around here. We live next to about 12 square miles of public land that is run over with coyotes, despite MY best efforts. They roam the neighborhood at will and I have seen one cat in the 5 years we have lived here. I do like and miss shooting feral cats.
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
I'm over-run almost. Dogs keep them outside the fences.
Neighbor feeds them, 15-20 maybe.
Told him all his cats were becoming a problem.
He says "They ain't my cats."
I say "But you feed them."
He says "I feed the birds too, but they ain't mine either!"
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
I don't shoot every cat that I see, but I won't tolerate them causing trouble and some are trouble-makers. We had a big tomcat coming around our house years ago when we lived off down by the Okie line. I caught that sucker in the yard one day and wasted him with my Para Ordnance .45. I big tom will fly about 6' in the air when hit by a .45 ACP, let me assure you.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
We have 4 barn cats. Haven’t seen them kill a bird, seen no feather piles in several years.

Matter of fact we have cardinals and finches that eat the fire out of their dry cat food in my woodpile shed. Started feeding them in the evenings. We got songbirds out the ass, people I have on speaker phone while I’m outside mention the background ‘noise’.

Could just be our farm cats are just lazy.

Or to well fed. We have three that moved to the back deck from the barn so we had them fixed. Even though we feed them if it moves they kill it. I refer to them as the perimeter defense system.
Posted By: ribka Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by roundoak
I don't shoot feral cats anymore. They are a delicacy for the coyotes here.

#coyotesgottaeattoo
Posted By: WTF Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
A live trap and a water trough. Cant get much quieter.
Or just drop it off in the alley out back of the chinee restaurant.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
JMHO- I get tired of smelling cat pi$$ and stepping
in turds all over the yard.
The " cat lady " doesn't own any, but keeps food
out 24/7 . That same food attracts possums and
skunks. During the warmer months, you can't step
out on the porch to check the mailbox without
getting a few fleas on your legs.
Yeah, feral cats are pests

I'm told that a 220 BG works really well with a little
dry cat food in a bucket set, or some of the cheapest
canned fish, mackerel etc.
A 160 BG is a bit better for the average sized feral feline

Or so they tell me. . . . .
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Lived rural my entire life, surrounded by all the usual stock, from chickens to cattle and all inbetween. Never had a problem with feral cats, in fact admired their tenacity to survive on the rodent population, without getting fed by us.
Neighbor dogs and unknowns caused far more problems than any damned cat. I've hauled way more dead dogs to the back forty than any other animal that bothered our farm population.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
when we bought this house some years back, the neighborhood was overrun with feral cats. Over the course of a few months, I shot every damn one of 'em. I hate ditch cougars.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
I used to thin them. Felony now in my state.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Felony for killing a feral cat?

where you at and what's the statute?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Well....he was going in people's houses to do it.....
Posted By: bkraft Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
My nephew had cat problems, so he opened a can of Lil Friskies and set it out by his bow target block. Would pin 'em in place till they stopped floppin and then to the creek they'd go.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Well....he was going in people's houses to do it.....

Well, if'n they's in da house, dey ain feral then, is dey?
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

It ought to be a crime for people to let them roam around.

People are funny. They'd crucify a person who let their dogs roam freely, but feel that allowing their cat to do the same is just fine. They even have the audacity to bitsh and moan when their sweet little Boots or Mittens gets run over by a car.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by bkraft
My nephew had cat problems, so he opened a can of Lil Friskies and set it out by his bow target block. Would pin 'em in place till they stopped floppin and then to the creek they'd go.

I like that approach.
Killed a lot of them when I lived out in the country. No really safe angles to risk a shot now, along with the possibility of prying eyes.

Had a real sickly looking cat show up last week. After weighing my options, I trapped him on Saturday. Called the county shelter, and was told it was the responsibility of the town's animal control officer. Called him and was told he works Monday to Friday.

I let it sit in the Havahart all weekend (did give it food and water). Animal control took it this morning.
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by bkraft

I like that approach.
Killed a lot of them when I lived out in the country. No really safe angles to risk a shot now, along with the possibility of prying eyes.

Had a real sickly looking cat show up last week. After weighing my options, I trapped him on Saturday. Called the county shelter, and was told it was the responsibility of the town's animal control officer. Called him and was told he works Monday to Friday.

I let it sit in the Havahart all weekend (did give it food and water). Animal control took it this morning.

good fur you.........

I pro wooda M2'd the sic SOB
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter97
The 17 hmr is my preferred ditch tiger caliber.

17M2 here

couple yrs ago...

I traded a brick of Thunderbolts......

for a brick of Eley 17M2.......

Win fur me
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

It ought to be a crime for people to let them roam around.

People are funny. They'd crucify a person who let their dogs roam freely, but feel that allowing their cat to do the same is just fine. They even have the audacity to bitsh and moan when their sweet little Boots or Mittens gets run over by a car.
Pretty sure It's a felony to shoot a stray/roaming dog in NY unless it's in the act of chasing deer in the Northern zone. Don't know if that applies to cats.

Ya got me thinkin'

Mice around my fields are a real PIA.....

Like you though....Owls...Hawks.......maybe a feral cat...get their share

But.......keep UR dammm cats on UR own property

I like my Meadowlarks....Pheasants & baby bunnies
Originally Posted by WTF
A live trap and a water trough. Cant get much quieter.
Or just drop it off in the alley out back of the chinee restaurant.

my kinda guy........
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Ya got me thinkin'

Mice around my fields are a real PIA.....

Like you though....Owls...Hawks.......maybe a feral cat...get their share

But.......keep UR dammm cats on UR own property

I like my Meadowlarks....Pheasants & baby bunnies
Best shoot the shyt outta then hawks and owls then. They're hell on small game/birds and there's way too damn many of them.
Posted By: Papag Re: Feral cats - 04/19/21
Fair game on my little farm. There were some quail there in the beginning (2005) then they all but disappeared. I've relocated about fifteen cats using .22, muzzle loader, shotgun, 357, bow, both recurve and cross. Relocated to kitty happy hunting grounds. Saw a small covey when I was out shroomin the other day. Filthy little feline murderers.
© 24hourcampfire