Home
Can anyone recommend a quality pellet rifle, preferably with a magazine so I don't have to load each pellet individually. It would be a bonus if it was one of those with some sort of "quiet" technology about it so it doesn't alarm the neighbors.
Don't know of one with a magazine but the 22 cal side-cock RWS Model 54 is an outstanding pellet rifle for small game and pests. The 22 cal has good thump and stays subsonic which is very important.

If you want to do it for under $100, the Crosman 2100 Classic is a "best buy" 10-pump pellet rifle. It has a BB hopper for high-volume pest birds or you can switch to pellets for small game.
Mine is quite costly but shoots 28.5 grain slugs at 950 fps and holds a mag of 28 pellets or slugs, you almost can't hear it. Bought it for small game and pest. Mines an FX Impact MK2 . Buddy has a Marauder that is quite capable and a fraction of the price.
That FX in 30 cal would be a lot of fun!!
I have a .25 cal Marauder. Very quiet.

Usually the loudest thing about shooting it is when the pellet hits what you are shooting at. Killed coyotes, hogs and coons with mine.
Posted By: JimH Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/18/21
.25 Benjamin Marauder is the way to go.
I have a Whisper, but it doesn’t really whisper.

Much prefer a suppressed 22 with subs. Very quiet.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
.25 Benjamin Marauder is the way to go for a first gun.....I have one in great shape I might sell if interested. That was my first purchase and then went to the FX which just in another league cost and accuracy wise...both are worth the tariff.
Posted By: DMc Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by sidepass
Mine is quite costly but shoots 28.5 grain slugs at 950 fps and holds a mag of 28 pellets or slugs, you almost can't hear it. Bought it for small game and pest. Mines an FX Impact MK2 . Buddy has a Marauder that is quite capable and a fraction of the price.

Do you use an @ home scuba tank to refill the canister?
Fx, daystate, etc
How long do those PCP guns hold their air without leaking down. I may shoot this week and then not again for a couple of weeks.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
Both of mine hold their air without any drop in pressure... and that’s over months in the off season.
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
A .22 Marauder might be better unless you are planning to use it on larger animals. It has a 10 round magazine. Pressure tank can go 20 - 30 rounds. You can get a cheap pump on ebay to pressurize it but it is a bit of a workout. An air tank is good if you know someone who can fill it.

Jerry
I have the .22 Marauder and I LOVE it. I had a RWS 34 spring gun and could not keep scopes on it. The double spring action would blow reticles out of Leupold air rifle scope. Went to Benjamin Marouder and have never looked back. Everybody that shoot it love it. Very accurate and quiet. I fill mine with scuba tank. I can only shoot about 8 pellets before filling up. You must keep pressure up to keep accuracy. Good shooting.
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by sidepass

Do you use an @ home scuba tank to refill the canister?

Have a sm carbon fiber tank that I fill with a Yong Heng compressor given to me. When this compressor dies I'll pick up a Alkin W31 compressor. Have gotten around 100 shots out of my rifle's tank and my refill tank . Just tuned my rifle for heavier slugs so will see what kind of demand it puts on my air supply. A bigger supply tank in in the buget sooner than later.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Usually the loudest thing about shooting it is when the pellet hits what you are shooting at. Killed coyotes, hogs and coons with mine.

Would it be adequate for deer and to what distance, Barry?
Posted By: LouisB Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
All of the really good guns require some serious pumping or SCBA (NOT scuba) air supply.

SCBA air supply set-up costs as much as the gun, but few seconds and one is back up to pressure!
Originally Posted by LouisB
All of the really good guns require some serious pumping or SCBA (NOT scuba) air supply.

SCBA air supply set-up costs as much as the gun, but few seconds and one is back up to pressure!

I know nothing about the most modern deer hunting versions. I just got done watching a video that starts with the "low cost" swedish hand pump for over $300.
Then there's this good video promo on this guys Benjamin with 75 yard range.

Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Can anyone recommend a quality pellet rifle, preferably with a magazine so I don't have to load each pellet individually. It would be a bonus if it was one of those with some sort of "quiet" technology about it so it doesn't alarm the neighbors.

You got tree rats
Posted By: duck911 Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
My uncle has a large spread in prime turkey habitat in the foothills of NorCal. We have killed many, MANY a turkey there (Mill and Deer creek drainages, for those who know the area). He's over killing them with shotguns, and bows.

Now, he is head shooting them with a .22 Marauder. A bit more of a challange!
I do not know what SCBA is , but YES SCUBA. I use a scuba tank ti refill by Marauder. I also own a pump. That is why I bought a SCUBA tank for refilling. Try to hand pump up to 3,000 psi is a workout. Refill with scuba tank in seconds with quick connection. I used to have a tree rat problem. Now very rarely do I see one now. Good shooting
Posted By: gremcat Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
If memory serves SCBA (CF) are rated to 4500. If your topping off to 3300-3000 you want 4500.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Would it be adequate for deer and to what distance, Barry?

No. Not legal that I'm aware of. In Texas only non-game animals.

Game animals have a minimum requirement. The 357 air rifle I had at the lake house is though. wink
Originally Posted by Nestucca

You got tree rats

Yep.
Legally, you can be in just as much trouble shooting a pellet gun as a firearm inside city limits.

Air Arms makes pellet rifles with a suppressor built into the barrel. They are expensive, have a magazine and quiet.

If your legally allowed to shoot then your much better off shooting a bolt action 22 using quiet ammo.
Generally a PCP pellet gun is louder than a 22 LR.
Originally Posted by ConradCA

I wouldn't know. The only one's I've shot had an internal suppressor. The rifle report is less than the pellet hitting what you shoot at. Less than an old Daisy Red Ryder.

Now the single shot break barrel rifles can be loud...
Posted By: killerv Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I have a Whisper, but it doesn’t really whisper.

Much prefer a suppressed 22 with subs. Very quiet.

I bought a gamo whisper, took it straight back to Academy after it sounded like a 22mag going off in the yard. I contacted gamo and they said it should quiet down after a few hundred rounds.
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21

The Marauder is very quiet. As others stated the whack of the pellet is louder than the gun. I have an old pump up Benjamin too and it is louder than the Marauder.

Jerry
I’ve got the Gamo shadow 1000 in .177 although it doesn’t have a magazine it’s easy to load and quiet. For a fairly inexpensive air gun it is pretty darn accurate with plenty power for the rats. I wiped out the feral pigeons at the farm and plenty of crows out to 50 yds.
What are you shooting with said airgun? What distance? How often?
Posted By: deflave Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
Rockinbar sold me my .22 caliber Marauder Pistol with butt stock and it is one of the coolest urban assault carbines you could ever have.

It is not real fast/powerful but that in turn makes it really quiet. It doesn’t have a silencer and it’s still the most quiet air gun we have. Much quieter than a Gamo or similar and you will fall in love with the rotary mags. I have a 3x Leupold on it and it is deadly, deadly, deadly on iguanas.

It’s also very compact which is nice. Especially if you find yourself shooting out of a truck window a lot. Which I do.

It uses a hand pump. I’ve never felt the need to use a tank.

Rockinbar probably has more air gun knowledge than anybody here. Good luck with your search.
Posted By: RDW Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
The Marauder is a tank, but damn quiet and accurate.

I have an FX Wildcat II .25 and next up is a Maverick .30

For a knock around back yard pest eliminator I would suggest although I have never fired one, a Marauder Pistol and buttstock over pumps and break barrels based on my experience with the Marauder.

The Marauder was a murderer, grackles, squirrel, rabbit, beaver, nutria, possum and coon.
Originally Posted by deflave
Rockinbar sold me my .22 caliber Marauder Pistol with butt stock and it is one of the coolest urban assault carbines you could ever have.

It is not real fast/powerful but that in turn makes it really quiet. It doesn’t have a silencer and it’s still the most quiet air gun we have. Much quieter than a Gamo or similar and you will fall in love with the rotary mags. I have a 3x Leupold on it and it is deadly, deadly, deadly on iguanas.

It’s also very compact which is nice. Especially if you find yourself shooting out of a truck window a lot. Which I do.

Rockinbar probably has more air gun knowledge than anybody here. Good luck with your search.

Yours has an integral suppressor as well. Sleeved barrel inside the suppressor.

I suspect you may be fairly close to me now. For how long, I don't know, but if you get a day or so off and want to go thermal some hogs and coyotes, let me know.
Originally Posted by centershot

Squirrels, rats, cowbirds, and rabbits. 5 to 25 yards.

I would really prefer to stay away from PCP, even if I have to give up some quietness.

I would really prefer to stay away from PCP, even if I have to give up some quietness.

Then I'd get one of these. https://www.crosman.com/product/benjamin-vaporizer-22

Or similar.

I wouldn't know. The only one's I've shot had an internal suppressor. The rifle report is less than the pellet hitting what you shoot at. Less than an old Daisy Red Ryder.

Now the single shot break barrel rifles can be loud...

I have shot PCP rifles without a suppressor and they are louder than a 22LR and louder than springers.
A Crossman pump would take care of those targets just fine. Use pellets and take headshots on rabbits though.
I got onboard the PCP bus just recently. didn't want to spend for a top shelf like Brocock, FX, etc. I bought a 25 caliber Air Venturi Avenger for $299, a hand pump, and a DonnyFL muffler. About $500 all in.

This gun has externally adjustable regulator. Top setting is 2900 psi, I have mine at 1900 psi for more shots per fill. The reservoir takes 300 bar pressure (about 4300 psi). I hand pump it to 4K, and shoot it down to 2K. That equates to about 50 shots, with the 25.4gr pellet at 830 fps. Around 38 ft-lbs. This shoots consistent 1/2" at 50 yards.

Nice trigger, receiver will take weaver/pic ring, or 11mm, 8-shot magazine in 25 cal. Stock is kind of flimsy feeling, but it is serviceable. I see Air Venturi is offering a wood stock version now, in 22 cal, that looks pretty nice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: deflave Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21
Originally Posted by deflave

Yours has an integral suppressor as well. Sleeved barrel inside the suppressor.

I suspect you may be fairly close to me now. For how long, I don't know, but if you get a day or so off and want to go thermal some hogs and coyotes, let me know.

That's a very nice offer rockinbar.

Thank you for that.

And thanks for clearing up the integral suppressor because I didn't know that schit either. LOL

My Sheridan 2260 Co2 rifle will easily handle that and isn't very loud. Much quieter than either of my break barrel, spring piston guns and cheaper too. I suspect one of the QB78 Co2 rifles would also work fine and can be had for as little as 79.00 online.

If you want something with a magazine, but not a pcp, maybe look into one of the Gamo Swarm Gen2 lineup.

https://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-swarm-maxxim-g2-air-rifle-22-caliber.html#AGD-527310623
Originally Posted by Blackheart

My Sheridan 2260 Co2 rifle will easily handle that and isn't very loud. Much quieter than either of my break barrel, spring piston guns and cheaper too. I suspect one of the QB78 Co2 rifles would also work fine and can be had for as little as 79.00 online.
Forgot to mention there are repeater versions of the QB78 and you can get an aftermarket repeater breech for the 2260 if it's really important to you.

Are you out of 22 LR , ya broke digk ?!
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Are you out of 22 LR , ya broke digk ?!
I'm down to only about 33,000 rds. but thanks for your concern ass hole.
Posted By: RDW Re: Quiet, accurate air rifle? - 04/19/21

Why?

There are many pros to pcp and few cons.

My best kill to date...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Originally Posted by RDW

Why?

There are many pros to pcp and few cons.

Because it's another setup that I will need to make room for in my house/garage - more stuff to stack.

Do the CO2 cartridges hold their charge and not leak down if you throw the rifle in the corner for a couple of months?

Do the CO2 cartridges hold their charge and not leak down if you throw the rifle in the corner for a couple of months?
Yes. I've left mine charged for months with no leakage. Just need to make sure you lube the end of the cartridge before inserting so it doesn't stick to the seal. I've killed a pile of rabbits and squirrels around the yard with it over the years.
Originally Posted by RDW
The Marauder is a tank, but damn quiet and accurate.

I have an FX Wildcat II .25 and next up is a Maverick .30

For a knock around back yard pest eliminator I would suggest although I have never fired one, a Marauder Pistol and buttstock over pumps and break barrels based on my experience with the Marauder.

The Marauder was a murderer, grackles, squirrel, rabbit, beaver, nutria, possum and coon.

Looking at a Maverick 30 also. Hoping it incorporates the Impact MK3 features when I'm ready. Think its 68.Whiskey that has taken the 30 out to 300 yards. YouTube 68. Whiskey that is , found them while looking up tuning info.

Beeman R9 .22 cal.

Works awesome in semi urban areas and smacks critters as large as these rock chucks with authority.

No magazine, but pellet pens work pretty slick or just put a few dozen pellets in a tick tack mint container.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire