Home
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/indonesia-submarine-missing-53-on-board-after-expected-torpedo-test/

Jakarta — Indonesia's military said it was searching for a submarine with 53 crew aboard after losing contact with the vessel during naval exercises off the coast of Bali on Wednesday. The German-built KRI Nanggala 402 had been scheduled to do live torpedo exercises when it asked for permission to dive early Wednesday morning, authorities said.

"After permission was given according to the procedure, the submarine lost contact and could not be reached," the defence ministry said.

Prayers off to the crew and men of that sub.. It's feared it sunk in a 2300' deep area.. If so, there's virtually no hope..
Well ... that can't be good. Hopefully it was quick and painless.
3'rd world countries attempting to emulate 1'st world navies?
I read about that this morning, a 1979 German made sub, supposed to report back after a torpedo test.

doesn't sound good
The Indonesians watched Das Boot one time too many.
You could not pay me enough money to be a submariner.
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Think they could sing the Tipperary song????
Originally Posted by 1911a1

I bet that used German sub came with a complimentary Das Boot CD.

RIP for those sailors.

I too could never imagine being a submariner.
I've told this story before

The company I worked for along the gulf coast built submarines.

The President of the company mandated that with every sea trial, a vice president had to be on board

They never had a single incident at sea

If I were in the Navy(and a young man) I think I would have liked a year on a sub, but not any more than that.
A helicopter looking for the missing vessel spotted an oil spill in waters where the submarine was thought to have submerged, it added.

Well, that can't be good.
Pretty schitty way to go waiting for death from pressure, lack of O2,drowning or combo,s.

Some deep sea ROV,s and Subs probably be able to find out what happened.
It wouldn't be the first time a live torpedo test sunk it's own submarine, I wonder who's torpedoes they were using?
Don't you have to be under 5'7" tall to be on a submarine?
Isn't Indonesia mostly Muslim? Never know, might be a Red October scenario except they're out to get the Great White Satin. (Put your tin foil hat on)

Other than that, it would be a tough way to die. I wonder if it's nuke powered.
Malaysia lost Flight 370.
Indonesia lost the submarine.

Are these what Trump called "s***hole countries?"
Still...RIP. That would be on my list of “how not to die”.
Hope Islamic terrorists are not taking ideas from Red October.
prayers for those sailors and their families
Originally Posted by Redneck
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/indonesia-submarine-missing-53-on-board-after-expected-torpedo-test/

Jakarta — Indonesia's military said it was searching for a submarine with 53 crew aboard after losing contact with the vessel during naval exercises off the coast of Bali on Wednesday. The German-built KRI Nanggala 402 had been scheduled to do live torpedo exercises when it asked for permission to dive early Wednesday morning, authorities said.

"After permission was given according to the procedure, the submarine lost contact and could not be reached," the defence ministry said.

Prayers off to the crew and men of that sub.. It's feared it sunk in a 2300' deep area.. If so, there's virtually no hope..

China?

Norks?
submarines...the only place where 60 single men go down and 30 couples come up

I don't think Indonesia would have a nuke submarine, and I doubt Germany has ever built any nukes, either. Germany builds great diesel subs, though, and sells them to just about anyone.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

My brother is close to 6’4 and serve on a boomer and attack
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I wouldn’t call them that.
laugh Yeah, they told us in sub school that there was a height maximum... Total BS - one of the enginemen was at least 6'3"+. Hell, I was only about 5' 9" at the time and it STILL took me a couple weeks to remember where/when to duck my head.. laugh

Personally, I loved being on subs - but I was also on board one when the Scorpion was lost... Lotta quiet crewmembers on our boat that week..
Crew probably hijacked it and are headed to South America to use it the run Coke.
Once you lost control and hit a certain depth and it started to implode, I'd be wishing for a sidearm to end it quickly rather than what would happen next.

PS my grandpa was 6'5" on the Sea Fox in WWII.
Originally Posted by troublesome82

Deep diving is more fun and not as dangerous.
Originally Posted by akasparky
Crew probably hijacked it and are headed to South America to use it the run Coke.

SAC, Suckermore and Northmam wish.
The new guy forgot to close the hatch.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I wouldn’t call them that.

Have you ever personally set foot in either country?

Uh, Indonesia....think about it.
I hate it when prayer call happens in the midst of a dive.

Same. No F'n way.

My wife and I toured the WW II Jap submarine in San Diego when we were there. All I can say is the Japanese must have been REALLY REALLY small back then.

I couldn't get out of it fast enough. The claustrophobia was kicking in pretty good.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Hope Islamic terrorists are not taking ideas from Red October.

Well, we've still got Alec Baldwin so all safe........
Originally Posted by slm9s
Once you lost control and hit a certain depth and it started to implode, I'd be wishing for a sidearm to end it quickly rather than what would happen next.

I had a classmate on the Sea Fox (SS-402) - from Clover Valley, MT... Had 8 in his senior class.. laugh laugh

No- my nephew served on the Nuke Puffer (I think). He is 6'3" or more and slept curled up in the bunk.... It only accomidated to 6' I believe. He told me at one time that the maximum height for Nukes was 6'. He qualified at 18 by a fraction of an inch, under.

After he was in Nuke school he had a growth spurt, but it was too late. They kept him, much to his dismay.
coming soon to the penobscot river ...
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Deep diving is more fun and not as dangerous.

Don’t you mean muff diving???

And I consider sometimes it’s extremely dangerous.

I had a classmate on the Sea Fox (SS-402) - from Clover Valley, MT... Had 8 in his senior class.. laugh laugh

Ever heard of Clover Valley MT.

Sure that wasn’t Nevada?

Originally Posted by AKduck
Still...RIP. That would be on my list of “how not to die”.

It was likely quick and without much pain.

China may be practicing for the future. Their future of ruling the world.
I am sure we have the entire event on tape. Probably from fixed aquaphones as well as monitored from submerged and surface fleet. Submarines make a much different sound when it is an over depth implosion vs a detonation, as in torpedo.

I would be willing to bet, were the subject vessel torpedoed, the American Navy can identify the torpedo by type and country of origin by sonar characteristics of running and detonation.

From what I heard, it was a 44 year old boat nearly 10 years past its last refit making a planed deep dive at or near its specified depth limit of 500 meters.

Phil

Not really a problem as they still make them.
I remember that he specifically said it was in MT... I'm thinking it was so small that it wasn't even an incorporated town/village etc.. We have a few of those around here too - named, but not noted on local maps..
Indonesia is 88% Muslim. I’m guessing some radicalized Islamist decided to perform a one man jihad and sink his own ship in some sort of perverted message to his fellow goat humpers.
Why is a woman unlike a submarine? I don’t know, I’ve never gone down on a submarine
There have been a good number of submarines that are at the bottom of the ocean due to their own torpedoes. USS Tang (not in the tube, but it circled around and destroyed the launching submarine), USS Scorpion (I think it was a hot run torpedo), The Russian sub Kursk. I'm sure there are more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Regarding the USS Tang, there's a GREAT book about that submarine.
When Flight 370 disappeared, the Malysian government hired this witch doctor to try to find the airplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQXdGXjUx4M

The whole while they chanted "Allah Akhbar."

Like I said on the Afghanistan thread, somehow, they are stuck in the 8th century.
Maybe Indonesia can hire this same witch doctor I hear he is looking for work.
Which doctor?
© 24hourcampfire