Home
Posted By: Valsdad Work ethic? - 04/23/21
Pulled into one of our feed stores here yesterday. Had the "nice car" which the wife is using today for a trip to a dog race. I'm a firm believer in vehicles getting washed once a year whether they need it or not.

Kid at the feed store was just pulling his truck away from the bucket of soapy water and the hose as I pulled in. When he came back out to ask if I needed anything I asked "is mine next? " and pointed to the car wash area. He jokingly said sure, for $5. I said "you wash my car and you get $10".

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I needed a bag of pine shavings for the Gulag and 4 new meat chicks that are in a tub. $9 for that bundle so I told him to keep the change. $11 car wash to a kid with some gumption was more than worth it to me.

I'd have given him another $20 to wax that sumbish, as that took me an hour later in the evening when it cooled down and the angle of the sun was less.

Maybe the world isn't lost yet?

Or maybe his "people" will end up running the place?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
He should be flipping burgers for 35 cents an hour!

Lazy bastard!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
Ha, his "people" probably pay him about that for feed store work.

Might be why he was so enthusiastic about washing my car.. grin

I saw him run one of those big tote bags of seed over to a truck hauling a spreader with a forklift. I didn't ask if he had training and a certificate. That's his father's job, seeing as how it's a family job. I wonder if they have an ag exemption?
Posted By: Dutch Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
I’ve got two of the neighbor’s daughters working for me this summer. One is done for the summer and spreading manure and picking rocks all week. The younger one will be done with school in two weeks and will be moving pipe starting the next day.

No, not paying minimum wage, either. Do a man’s job, get a man’s wage.
Good on you Dutch.

Maybe you get some good hands later in their careers.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
My kids weren’t real enthusiastic about a job when I informed it came with a driver’s license. After a paycheck or two, they decided a job wasn’t such a bad thing.
I didn't get a choice. Worked the lawnmower, cleaning yards, gathering bottles, paper route and saved enough money to buy an 18 year old car, which I had to pay insurance on before I could even drive it. Once out of HS, part time job at the grocery store while attending junior college. Then at a hydraulic shop 3 days a week.

I learned the power of my own money early in life I guess.
How old is this kid?
Not sure, looked like still in or just out of HS.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
How much you paying your kids Jim ?

grin
Posted By: 44mc Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
most of the young people here would laff in your face if you ask them that . good to now that there is still some kids with it
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

grin

Hahaha!

It aint hourly.

Kinda pay by the job....or when we remember to fling some cash at em.
Originally Posted by 44mc
most of the young people here would laff in your face if you ask them that . good to now that there is still some kids with it

I'm an old fart, and if I was washing my car and still had the hose and brush out and someone asked me, for $10 I might just wash their car too grin

I mean, $10 is 10 bucks right? laugh
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

grin

Hahaha!

It aint hourly.

Give them a rabbit skin to make into a doll eh?
Posted By: SKane Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
Looks to me that you paid a kid $10 to put a lot of scratches on your car. laugh

Good on both of you.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
I had plenty of chores to do when I was a kid but never got paid. I did get an allowance so long as I mowed the lawn, split and stacked firewood, kept the wood box filled and the driveway shoveled. Might have made a nickel an hour if I figured it out. Had to earn the money for my first .22 rifle, shotgun, deer rifle and car, which I did by working on a dairy farm, mowing lawns, shoveling snow and running a trap line.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21

grin

And what do you charge for room and board?
Originally Posted by SKane
Looks to me that you paid a kid $10 to put a lot of scratches on your car. laugh

Good on both of you.

Ha Ha, no news ones I could find.

All that soap has lubricating properties no doubt. Car hadn't been washed since last summer and had a lot of winter snow and rain dust and dirt on it.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
Hell most kids his age have no work ethic unless they came from a rural home. Farm/ranch etc. Help wanted signs all over the place here in the mountains but no one wants to work. I blame the parents. Good on that kid.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

grin

Hahaha!

It aint hourly.

I tell them 30 muskrat at 50 beaver pelts....and I will give them red cloth. A very good bargain for them.

Actually told them a couple days ago that if they trap a skunk I will make a hat and wear it to town.
Geno tell that kid I will be coming through in July and to be ready...
Posted By: Lslite Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
That young man gives me hope.

grin

Hahaha!

It aint hourly.

I tell them 30 muskrat at 50 beaver pelts....and I will give them red cloth. A very good bargain for them.

Actually told them a couple days ago that if they trap a skunk I will make a hat and wear it to town.

In the red longhandles? cool
Originally Posted by Springcove

He might be out cutting and baling then!

PS shoot me a PM then. Maybe we fish somewhere if we can find water. Sposed to rain some this weekend, and maybe a bit next week too. That means a bit more snow in the Warners. About all gone up there right now.
Dang it... Car washes are hard to find in your neck of the woods...
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21

grin

Hahaha!

It aint hourly.

Good trade Kimosabi !
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Work ethic? - 04/23/21
My daughter sells firewood to help pay for her hockey. Her idea. Raising her that nothing is free in life regardless of what uncle joe and the ho says.

I run the saw, she is 10, and she does the splitter, stacks and bundles.

She made $70 in the last 2 days.
Originally Posted by Springcove

He might be out cutting and baling then!

PS shoot me a PM then. Maybe we fish somewhere if we can find water. Sposed to rain some this weekend, and maybe a bit next week too. That means a bit more snow in the Warners. About all gone up there right now.

I will absolutely shoot you a Pm when I’m headed that way. Going to try and find that fishing spot out of Alturas again and then slowly head south to meet up with some friends.
We have an enterprising couple of folks that opened a hand wash/detailing place on the NE corner at the blinking light. In the old gas station there. There's still a coin op self serve there too. I was going to stop and ask them how much yesterday for a wash, but they had one in the bay and three stacked outside. Too long of a wait for me.

I got lucky with the feed store kid!
I will look for it when I get there. The drive there kind makes my truck a mess. Lots of bugs.

grin

Hahaha!

It aint hourly.

Good trade Kimosabi !

Not really, where's the beads and a iron pot?
Posted By: blanket Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
last kid I hired like that cost me 5K rounds of 5.56 and 9mm before he reported for duty in the Marines, all shot under instruction.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
Probably not gonna happen with this kid. At least not the Marines part.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
I judge a person by their work ethic.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
You pay $10 to have your car washed. Lazy fugk
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by BobBrown

He created a job for another person. No worse than buying a box of shells for most people.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Actually $11.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
My older son graduates with an engineering degree next month. He sent a resume to a contractor. They called him the next day to come in for a drug test and fill out paperwork. No interview.

His resume showed he spent the last three summers cutting and raking hay, and putting in storm sewers.

It seems a work ethic counts for much these days.
Good for your son. If he's willing to do that kind of work, sitting at a desk "engineering" won't tax him too much and the company knows it.

Probably got good grades too?
Posted By: deflave Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
My son would have told you to GFY.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
Pine shavings and a bag of lime to cover the latest victims of internment.
Posted By: ribka Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
good to hear

grin

Hahaha!

It aint hourly.

Originally Posted by gregintenn
My older son graduates with an engineering degree next month. He sent a resume to a contractor. They called him the next day to come in for a drug test and fill out paperwork. No interview.

His resume showed he spent the last three summers cutting and raking hay, and putting in storm sewers.

It seems a work ethic counts for much these days.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by MarkWV
I judge a person by their work ethic.

Some of my least favorite people are damn hard workers.

I have some real good friends that are lazy as hell.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21

grin

Hahaha!

It aint hourly.

Good trade Kimosabi !

Not really, where's the beads and a iron pot?

They got the iron pot to cook in when they were ten.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by deflave

Well, the apple doesnt fall.... frown
Originally Posted by deflave

I would maybe have done the same. But I needed a car wash and the kid apparently needed money.

America!

Isn't it great.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Nope, But I got a hen that's not laying for a bit, she might be done. Stew pot material. Maybe even cook her up with some salsa and make some enchiladas!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21

Nope, But I got a hen that's not laying for a bit, she might be done. Stew pot material. Maybe even cook her up with some salsa and make some enchiladas!

Whu? No pension program?
Posted By: K1500 Re: Work ethic? - 04/24/21
It takes more than $11 in quarters to do my truck at the coin op. And that’s with me providing the labor.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Work ethic? - 04/25/21
Originally Posted by K1500
It takes more than $11 in quarters to do my truck at the coin op. And that’s with me providing the labor.

That's what I figured, at least a 10 spot.

Whu? No pension program?

Hell to the no.

She's been eating on the house about long enough.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Work ethic? - 04/25/21
Good for your son. If he's willing to do that kind of work, sitting at a desk "engineering" won't tax him too much and the company knows it.

Average would he a more accurate assessment.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Work ethic? - 04/25/21
God Bless the parents who instilled work ethic in their kids.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Average would he a more accurate assessment.

Look at it this way.

Average is still better than 49.9999999999999% of his cohort. wink
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Work ethic? - 04/25/21
I believe work ethic should be taught by example,by the parents.When my oldest turned 15,i got her a job in a very busy pizza place,on the weekends the place was a madhouse.She is a teacher now,and always says she learned more about hard work and how to deal with people from her years working there than anywhere else.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Work ethic? - 04/25/21
Obviously, people won't wash their own damn cars or houses in the PNW!

Jack offs

LOL
Posted By: Lonny Re: Work ethic? - 04/25/21
Geno, thanks for showing us there are some good young people. Contrary to what you read on here, I see lots of kids willing to work and see the big picture.

Example; Last night the wife and I hit a local sit-down burger joint for a beer and a burger.

An older fellow sitting all by himself, in the booth across the aisle, evidently couldn't read the menu due to poor vision, I guess? He also talked really loud probably due to poor hearing?

The waiter kid, that looked about 19 or 20, sat down in the booth with the old guy and read the entire menu to him.

It must have taken them 10 minutes to go through it all. He had to repeat things to the older fellow many times.

The older guy had lots of question like, "What's a jojo?" and what was in the fry sauce? The kid patiently explained everything in perfect detail and he and the old laughed several times as they went through the menu. I had nothing but the upmost respect for that young fellow being so friendly and patient with the guy. He really wen the extra mile when it came to service.

My wife was thinking the same thing as all this went down because she said, "What a nice kid!"

When we left, I pulled the waiter kid aside and told him he did one heckuva job helping the older fellow out. All he said was "Glad to do it!" I handed him a $20 and said keep up the good work.
© 24hourcampfire