Home
The little guy had a blast with his buddies.

We ate well.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

Lotta knife and axe teaching.

One kid found out "Matt's dad always has extra stuff" when his mom dropped him off with a summer bag and no pad.

My son is now claiming my Wiggy's zero degree bag is his.

And some dudes came down the river with the most amazing and bright bowfishing rig ever.
Good stuff, Goalie!
Is that Coleman grills?
My hat is off to you, Goalie! That is one of the most important things us kinda old timers can do for our next gen.
Teach em! I know you are well vetted to do so!!!!!
If there was a 10 commandments for outdoorsman, then what Goalie is doing would fall on that list.

BUCK FIDEN !!!
An old school camp kitchen box!

Dude, that's rockin' it the right way.
Scouts? Toten' Chip training?

All that good food and a bag of.................................................Fritos????
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Good stuff, Goalie!
Is that Coleman grills?

Yup.

And my son and his buddy won the fire building contest and burned their twine first.

The view didn't suck. We saw a mating pair of osprey, which was pretty cool.

High class living! Well done.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

All that good food and a bag of.................................................Fritos????

The kids made their patrol boxes. The adult box for the Sherpa Patrol is painted blue with mountains. You can see it in the background.

The patrols are painting their boxes before summer camp.

The Fritos were brought by the kids. Apparently kids can't camp without Fritos, Doritos, and Tang.....
Goalie is FOREVER one of the good guys here on this forum. If you gotta problem with that then FUGK YOU
Goalie is FOREVER one of the good guys here on this forum. If you gotta problem with that then FUGK YOU

Didn't all the "good guys" leave?????

At least we've got Elky and the Duck of Double Ace Death....
Originally Posted by goalie

The kids made their patrol boxes. The adult box for the Sherpa Patrol is painted blue with mountains. You can see it in the background.

The Fritos were brought by the kids. Apparently kids can't camp without Fritos, Doritos, and Tang.....

Did a show the lads how to start a fire with the ‘ritos?

Didn't all the "good guys" leave?????

At least we've got Elky and the Duck of Double Ace Death....

PROPS, Brother! If the [bleep] TRuly hits the FAn, YOuve gotta BROTHER in ARMS . Fugk the Democrats.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Did a show the lads how to start a fire with the ‘ritos?

Hadn't thought of that 'bender, but I bet they work nearly as good as some Lay's tater chips.

Goalie, that's some great stuff there. I need to get out and set up the shop for some wood working and make a box myself. My camp box is a bit smallish. See the milk crate. Cutting board on top fits like a lid. Everything I really need fits in it, but only good for cooking for one, two at most.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks bunches for sharing this kind of cool stuff with us!
Camping Good
Good stuff,
I really miss camping,my kids were in sports so every weekend was runnin.(which is good) ,but really enjoyed it.
Looks like it was a great time,and a great experience for the kids,,,,,well done
Originally Posted by rong
Good stuff,
I really miss camping,my kids were in sports so every weekend was runnin.(which is good) ,but really enjoyed it.
Looks like it was a great time,and a great experience for the kids,,,,,well done

Yeah, it was a great time. And, after my wife heard my son raving about how awesome "dad's sleeping bag" was, I just ordered another one in a more comfy longer, wider size.

I think this was his 5th time camping below freezing, so he's "earned" my old bag.

😁
Nice job Goalie!
Originally Posted by rong
Good stuff,

Yeah, it was a great time. And, after my wife heard my son raving about how awesome "dad's sleeping bag" was, I just ordered another one in a more comfy longer, wider size.

I think this was his 5th time camping below freezing, so he's "earned" my old bag.

😁

Or.....All part of the plan to get you a new one ??
wink

We ate well.

One kid found out "Matt's dad always has extra stuff" when his mom dropped him off with a summer bag and no pad.

And some dudes came down the river with the most amazing and bright bowfishing rig ever.

Very nice. Very good keeping the kids attuned to the out of doors.

[/quote]

Went with my son on many scout trips, always supplying something to kids (parents?) who were not prepared
Good stuff, Goalie!
Is that Coleman grills?

Hey retard, it’s a camp stove Not a grill.
Originally Posted by steve4102
Good stuff, Goalie!
Is that Coleman grills?

Hey retard, it’s a camp stove Not a grill.

So nice of you to toss the turd in the punch bowl on the first page. Way to go.

That makes my gasoline/white gas Colman look positively ancient...

Looks like a good character building weekend goalie...
Good on you!
FWIW, the zero degree bags in closeout colors for $145 shipped is a good deal IMO. I paid close to that a decade ago.

They're bulky and heavy, but, unlike my down bags, they work great even when wet.

Plus, since I use that bag car or kayak camping, weight doesn't matter, so I went tall/wide for comfort.

Now my little guy and I will both have good cold weather bags.

Wiggy's special
My boys are long gone but I like working with the kids. I'm a leader for our church's Trail Life troop. These are from a snowshoe campout we had in January.

I shot a couple squirrels. These guys had never dressed any kind of animal before
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

building a fire in the snow
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
FWIW, the zero degree bags in closeout colors for $145 shipped is a good deal IMO. I paid close to that a decade ago.

They're bulky and heavy, but, unlike my down bags, they work great even when wet.

Plus, since I use that bag car or kayak camping, weight doesn't matter, so I went tall/wide for comfort.

Wiggy's special

Thanks for that. My North Face 0F bag was not terribly warm when i was in a tent at 8F. I may do a replacement at those prices.

Wiggy's special

Thanks for that. My North Face 0F bag was not terribly warm when i was in a tent at 8F. I may do a replacement at those prices.

Just keep in mind that they're the opposite of a high end down ultralight alpine bag.

Was your pad ok? What R value? Because my experience with North Face is that they usually come close with the temp rating, but at a much higher cost.
Good Stuff Goalie !
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Camping Good

Cold bad
Way to go Goalie!

I don't know who's the cleaver one, you or your boy, it looks like ya both pulled one off.........
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Way to go Goalie!

I don't know who's the cleaver one, you or your boy, it looks like ya both pulled one off.........

I think we both won. He loves his new "good" bag, and I got a much roomier version of the same bag coming.

With a good sleeping system, my son liked cold more than hot, muggy and buggy.

We do a decent amount of cold weather camping here, so it'll get used.

Wiggy's special

Just keep in mind that they're the opposite of a high end down ultralight alpine bag.

Was your pad ok? What R value? Because my experience with North Face is that they usually come close with the temp rating, but at a much higher cost.

I don't backpack anymore, mostly truck camping so another pound or so of weight is not an issue.

Older bag, 2007 or so? Not down, whatever their version of the poly stuff is. I had a thermarest and a closed cell on the cot, getting too old to sleep on the ground. I wear cotton or merino long johns to bed, as my skin sweats in contact with nylon/polyester. Still get cold in that bag when it gets well below freezing.

N AZ deer hunt, Dec. A bit S of Flagstaff. Had service to text, and when I woke up on the coldest morning texted someone there and their outdoor thermometer said 8F. A week up there and not seeing deer I went down to the Sedona area and was much warmer! Little tent is behind the truck in the trees.

Wiggy's special

I don't backpack anymore, mostly truck camping so another pound or so of weight is not an issue.

Older bag, 2007 or so? Not down, whatever their version of the poly stuff is. I had a thermarest and a closed cell on the cot, getting too old to sleep on the ground. I wear cotton or merino long johns to bed, as my skin sweats in contact with nylon/polyester. Still get cold in that bag when it gets well below freezing.

N AZ deer hunt, Dec. A bit S of Flagstaff. Had service to text, and when I woke up on the coldest morning texted someone there and their outdoor thermometer said 8F. A week up there and not seeing deer I went down to the Sedona area and was much warmer! Little tent is behind the truck in the trees.

Yeah, the Wiggy's will be better than a synthetic NF.
Good stuff. I really enjoyed the years I spent as a scout leader with my son. Both of us made some lifelong friends and had some really good times together.

Wiggy's special

Thanks goalie.

Wiggy's special

Thanks goalie.

No problem.

And, you can get the overbag, which is good to 40 degrees by itself, and, used over the zero bag, gets you to -20 legit.
Saw that on the website. Might get one and keep it in the truck, just in case.

We ate well.

Good stuff right there, those boys will grow up to be good people.

Thanks for the pics! Makes me almost want to go freeze my old azz off and poop in the woods. The bugs are already buzzing here, I'll stick with a beer on the patio.....

I've used the two bags on a 4.7R pad at -10 in a tent and was fine.

If it actually gets to -20 I'm putting handwarmer packs in the foot of the bag of sitting by a fire. A BIG fire.

If it actually gets to -20 I'm putting handwarmer packs in the foot of the bag of sitting by a fire. A BIG fire.

Roger that. That night at +8 and maybe some near 0F are about as cold as I've done and as cold as I really ever want to.

I picked up one of those on sale bags and a stuff sack. We'll see how it works on my next cold weather hunt. I did notice Wiggy recommends a pad on the ground and not a cot. Maybe that's part of my issue, but it sure is hard for an old guy who's had a TKR, two rotator cuffs repaired and still has a back that needs shots (and maybe more) to get up off the ground in the AM. Getting down there isn't too hard.

Thanks for the info, I'm hoping they work as well as some reviews. Seems Wiggy can get cantankerous dealing with folks though.

Roger that. That night at +8 and maybe some near 0F are about as cold as I've done and as cold as I really ever want to.

I picked up one of those on sale bags and a stuff sack. We'll see how it works on my next cold weather hunt. I did notice Wiggy recommends a pad on the ground and not a cot. Maybe that's part of my issue, but it sure is hard for an old guy who's had a TKR, two rotator cuffs repaired and still has a back that needs shots (and maybe more) to get up off the ground in the AM. Getting down there isn't too hard.

Thanks for the info, I'm hoping they work as well as some reviews. Seems Wiggy can get cantankerous dealing with folks though.

If you use a cot, you still need a good pad with an R rating of 4+.

Without a pad, the insulation under you is compressed, and ineffective. The pad insulates where the bag is compressed.

I actually just bought another Klymit insulated Static V pad. There was a sale and it was under 60$ shipped. Sign up for sale notices and get a big, insulated pad with an R factor>4 and you'll be fine on a cot.
© 24hourcampfire