Home
There are places where they're overly concerned with one's rate of fire.
What did he do wrong, besides hold that rifle like a Hollywood actor.
Originally Posted by cra1948

Looks like their range master was going to give him the boot judging by how he was making a bee line for him.

Some outdoor ranges are very conservative about rate of fire, type of targets, steel-cored ammo, and such. That should be in the rules so you know before you join, though. It behooves the member to read said rules.

You can't blame the range. Insurance companies frown on such.

Looked like he was having fun. Expensive fun at that!
Range Karen.
That's O.K. at the range I belong to.
Why anyone would ever shoot at a fudd range is beyond me.
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
That's O.K. at the range I belong to.

Mine too. It's a private club with annual paid membership.
We don't have range masters either.
We have rangemasters at our club, but never had anything said to me about shooting too fast. Of course, I’m generally trying to hit stuff and in my case shooting fast sort of precludes that.
They shoot a mini gun at the neighborhood range. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrt
I hate range nazis

Usually ran by women..........

Lol, that old boy would crap his pants at the range I belong to when a full auto opened up.
At least he got his shots off. A whole mags worth.

Not much muzzle jump. Wonder what he was shooting? 22lr?
Originally Posted by JeffP

I'm sure this guy was from Tulsa OK and had visions of this photo, and was just practicing!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
His Majesties sensibilities were offended by the common knave banging off that ammo like...like...a commoner!!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

You are one lucky duck!
Is your neighborhood Ft Hood?
DD is a DOG not a duck.......
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

You are one lucky duck!
Is your neighborhood Ft Hood?

No. WOOF!
So, what's the problem? I saw no loss of muzzle control.

I attended machine gun competitions and range days at our local range back in the early 80s sponsored by Idaho Automatic Weapons Collectors Association. They still shot at that range a few short years ago. They may still do so.
That's ok at my range. Of course my range is my backyard. Another great thing about living in the country👍
Never seen a Range Officer.
How do you ID one?

Well there is one in 45 within reach now.

But the one on the range?
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
How do you ID one?

They're the one with the bundle of carrots hanging out their ass.
Lol!!!

That oldster got the blood pumping race walking going range nazi on dude.

It will be legandary talk at the elks lodge how eugene set that young whipper snapper straight and recommended a life time ban.
I guess Jerry Miculek wouldn't be welcome there either.
Sad
Guys have done that at our range while I've been down range posting a target.

Bb
Originally Posted by MidBore338
I hate range nazis
He was probably a hall monitor in grade school. And an officer in his HOA.
Jerome Idaho range had kittens when my buddy drug out some Class 3's...he asked them why they didn't mention that when he signed the application, why it wasn't posted at the range.
They told him, our way or the highway. Real Patriots. Defenders of the 2nd Amendment.
Was the guy shootin in the wrong direction or what??

Yep. I used to go to a range like that. The old range officer was a former Olympic shooting coach. Open up like that, and he'd kick you right out.
I cannot imagine shooting at a range...
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Me neither, it’s not covered.
Control freaks are everywhere
I have seen that range official hurry-up walk toward a shooter a few times - usually concludes with a holier-than-thou lecture.
That place just doesnt seem fun.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

There may be rules in place controlling such activities. The RO was probably just seeing that those rules were adhered to.

Not all ROs are Nazis, Karens or control freaks. I wouldn't want to do the job given the long lines of dolts that show up with a gun in hand.
If that was my rifle laying 2 tables away getting pelted with empties I can't say I'd be very happy. If I had been sitting two tables over trying to shoot and gotten pelted with empties I wouldn't be very happy then either.

2x at a nearby public range I've had a full magazine worth of brass bounced off of me and my rifle. In both cases I picked up a handful of brass, walked up to the other shooter and threw the brass back at him from ~5', and never said a word. One man apologized and set up a box to block his brass and keep it on his table. The other packed up and sat in the car while his shooting partner continued to shoot for over an hr.

So long as your muzzle is pointed in a safe direction and you're not tearing up target stands or the like I don't care how fast or slow you want to shoot. I have no interest however in taking a hot-brass shower.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

There may be rules in place controlling such activities. The RO was probably just seeing that those rules were adhered to.

Not all ROs are Nazis, Karens or control freaks. I wouldn't want to do the job given the long lines of dolts that show up with a gun in hand.

I have no love for the rangemasters at my range but with 3500+ members, a lot of them pretty damn new shooters, you see stuff you can't believe. I got written up last year. I was the only person on the 200 yard line and had the audacity to violate the rules by having a gun out of the case prior to the 0800 opening time and to not have an empty chamber indicator in it (it was a Ruger #1). laugh I was a menace.

I recall the days of being able to shoot at a small private range fondly, alas, not likely to happen here but our leaving MD clock is ticking.
[Not all ROs are Nazis, Karens or control freaks. I wouldn't want to do the job given the long lines of dolts that show up with a gun in hand.

My brother in law, a friend and I ro'ed at our club on wed. nights, we were always busy and the other guys always wondered why their nights were not busy. Had members constantly complaining about the range nazi's on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

A good range officer never lectures instead he teaches. One thing I would never do is get after someone infront of his friends or family I would take him aside and have a chat with him, not once did I have anyone get upset with me.

My jod was not to boss, it was to teach and keep the place safe.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[Not all ROs are Nazis, Karens or control freaks. I wouldn't want to do the job given the long lines of dolts that show up with a gun in hand.

My brother in law, a friend and I ro'ed at our club on wed. nights, we were always busy and the other guys always wondered why their nights were not busy. Had members constantly complaining about the range nazi's on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

A good range officer never lectures instead he teaches. One thing I would never do is get after someone infront of his friends or family I would take him aside and have a chat with him, not once did I have anyone get upset with me.

^^^^^^^^
winner

If the lessons don't take then take action.

The place I shoot most has all the rules posted.

You can blast away at top speed after you demonstrate your ability to keep them in the berm. And not chew up the equipment.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
How do you ID one?

Well there is one in 45 within reach now.

But the one on the range?

He’ll be the one with all the buttons pinned on his vest and / or sash. ESP the lifetime NRA member pin.
There is a generational gap at most ranges. When the oldies are there, they want plink, plink, plink. When the young are there, the range suffers. Lots of posts shot up. The younger set are paying their dues, let them shoot!
Originally Posted by Pugs

I have no love for the rangemasters at my range but with 3500+ members, a lot of them pretty damn new shooters, you see stuff you can't believe. I got written up last year. I was the only person on the 200 yard line and had the audacity to violate the rules by having a gun out of the case prior to the 0800 opening time and to not have an empty chamber indicator in it (it was a Ruger #1). laugh I was a menace.

I recall the days of being able to shoot at a small private range fondly, alas, not likely to happen here but our leaving MD clock is ticking.

I got banned from my outdoor gun range/club for three months last year for starting to shoot 22 minutes prior to official opening time (I accidentally arrived early, thinking the start time was an hour earlier than it was). I was at the facility completely alone (members get the combo to the front gate), but they have security cameras that the grounds keepers can monitor from their cell phones, that apparently alert them to the sound of gunfire.

Control freaks is right. It's like friggen 1984 there since they installed those things. Of course, my dues for those three months weren't returned to me, either, so you can add that as a de facto fine on top of a three month ban, for starting to shoot 22 minutes early. And I'm a 20 year member there. You'd think I'd get a warning about a first rules violation in 20 years.

I had to join a different range for those three months (and, fortunately, the other range lets you join month to month), so basically paid twice for shooting during that time. I don't like the other range as well, which is why I didn't just switch permanently.
That’s why I shoot at the deer lease.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Guys have done that at our range while I've been down range posting a target.

Bb

That’s what I was thinking, there’s any number of reasons why the range wouldn’t be hot at that particular moment in time. For one thing, I don’t see other guys shooting.
9:30AM until Dark or if you use night vision 10:00PM.....shoot full auto any time you want.....10 ranges 25 yards to 200 yards use during open hours how you want as long as you want.....
City slicker range. LOL. The sportsmans club here has no such thing as a rangemaster. No range rules posted either. There is a sign at the entrance that says "range is for members use only". That is all. Go there during the week you'll have the range to yourself 95% of the time. On the weekend you'll still have it to yourself half the time unless it's the weekend before deer season. Like most country folk here I usually don't go to the sportsmans club to shoot, preferring my back yard or State land for such.
I have been a range officer before and you see some really dumb stuff, too much to post here.
I can tell you that some rules are from the insurance stand point (like not full auto, armor p. rounds etc.) and some are zoning and trying to get along with neighbors like start and stop times.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Go there during the week you'll have the range to yourself 95% of the time. On the weekend you'll still have it to yourself half the time unless it's the weekend before deer season.

That's why I didn't switch to the other range (which is closer to the city). What you wrote above describes my typical range experience, too, which is in a rural area.

I have my own range. The only public range i shoot at once or twice a year with friends is a state range and they only let you have 6 rounds in a pistol or ar magazine, the game wardens are the prick range master. But they dont follow there own rules. Seen one do a 30rd magazine dump, i walked up to him and said there was a 6 round mag limit on the range, his reply was that he enforce the law, I said since you enforce them then I guess you can break them. He wasent counting on that we all had cell phones and got his actions on video, last heard he was transfered.
Originally Posted by gemby58

I have my own range. The only public range i shoot at once or twice a year with friends is a state range and they only let you have 6 rounds in a pistol or ar magazine, the game wardens are the prick range master. But they dont follow there own rules. Seen one do a 30rd magazine dump, i walked up to him and said there was a 6 round mag limit on the range, his reply was that he enforce the law, I said since you enforce them then I guess you can break them. He wasent counting on that we all had cell phones and got his actions on video, last heard he was transfered.

He thought he was Judge Dread.

[Linked Image from media0.giphy.com]
Our range allows all class 3 so that wasn't very fast rate of fire!
Had a guy complain about my rate of fire once at the range. I was practicing getting two shots off with my double rifle. When he saw what I was shooting he was then much more interested in what I was shooting with than how fast I was shooting.
Insurance / liability was my initial thought. My club let’s us supervise ourselves. We have a range master but is rarely there and not required to be. When you go enough times to ranges there is much proof that many bullets end up no where near their intended POI. 😂 Or some fool decides to run down to target when there’s a hot line and everyones shooting(it really happened) Ever look at a ceiling at an indoor range? How about a steel target frame with holes(3 feet below the 50 yard target)?
It’s bittersweet at the public ranges. Experienced shooters don’t want Nazi style supervision. However, after witnessing some dangerous acts by shooters at gun ranges, this lifelong shooter has learned to digest it and at times prefer it. Some folks should get thrown off, others should not. In this instance I agree a Senior member could have been given a warning.
Due to fairly close neighbors our private 40 person range voted on and ruled out full-auto, 50BMG, and Tannerite. I'm not sure if Ins concerns were a part of the rules, they were in place when I joined. The range/club originated in the '70's and apparently there's some manner of paperwork that was filed w/the state of MN regarding the number of members, etc. I don't have any full-auto nor a 50BMG. Were I to obtain either, there's over 100 640ac sections of Nat'l Grasslands 40Mi away.
We have a pretty nice range here, Lots of members and local LEO, USCG and even some guard units use it. No rapid fire though unless it's some kind of qualifying or match. I'm good with that. Every time we've had issues with "errant rounds" it's some idiot with a black rifle. Now if we could ban muzzle brakes...
Originally Posted by Steve
Had a guy complain about my rate of fire once at the range. I was practicing getting two shots off with my double rifle. When he saw what I was shooting he was then much more interested in what I was shooting with than how fast I was shooting.

Back when...I had two guys get after me for shooting full auto....I had to show them and explain I was shooting a REVOLVER.

That was pre-arthritis when I could really scoot them out of a DA K frame.
Yea, I know. Control freaks, Nazis, etc. But why would someone not follow the rules at a club they had voluntarily joined? If you don't like the rules, get them changed or just go somewhere else. Don't get ticked at a club for enforcing the existing rules. After all, you agreed by signing up. If you don't follow the rules you had agreed to, it says something about you, doesn't it?
Originally Posted by 12344mag

+++
Originally Posted by WMR
Yea, I know. Control freaks, Nazis, etc. But why would someone not follow the rules at a club they had voluntarily joined? If you don't like the rules, get them changed or just go somewhere else. Don't get ticked at a club for enforcing the existing rules. After all, you agreed by signing up. If you don't follow the rules you had agreed to, it says something about you, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, not according to some on the Campfire.......
Never been to a range, don't plan on going to one. I can shoot 600 in my backyard.
It was right before deer season at a club. Had an FNC para and popped a few quick ones at the 50.

RO and says no full auto allowed. Told him it was a semi w stock trigger. He then with a shocked look says " no simulated FA ".

OK, whatever man.

Figured out later at the 100, some Fudd was zeroing in a slug gun. Had his wife around.

Squirrely

My guess is that the slob and slobette were related to the RO ( small town nearby ) and that the dude was a felon.
Had his wife there to claim it her gun, and they didnt want a complaint w the popo showing up.

Honestly, Ive seen some horrible shooting there, and idiots not placing targets in front of backstops.

All my rounds hit the fuggin target.

Must say, the new shooters are clueless and horrible and not a MF RO around.
I never like to be around guys like that....brass flying everywhere, and then most of the time around here, they never pick up the mess they made...

and they love to come in and pay their $7,00 because they aren't members and then go out and destroy two brand new target frames at 25 yards, with two 50 round clips...

My response tho, is to just pack up, head home and go back when its a lot less crowded and having guys like that there...

I do hate their attitudes of tearing up stuff and then assuming they have free room service also...

we have a million miles of Forest Service land they can go out and do that crap on....
If you have a problem with that, you probably have issues with sand in your vagina also.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
If you have a problem with that, you probably have issues with sand in your vagina also.

Flip side of that, is we get tons like that type... who are usually not locals...

who are usually from the state about 25 miles south as the crow flies...

they leave their brass, usually steel cased cheap commie crap, laying all over the place..

destroying brand new targets stands,

and then you hear comments like " who the F cares.... its Oregon"
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Flip side of that, is we get tons like that type... who are usually not locals...

who are usually from the state about 25 miles south as the crow flies...

they leave their brass, usually steel cased cheap commie crap, laying all over the place..

destroying brand new targets stands,

and then you hear comments like " who the F cares.... its Oregon"

Build better target stands, make people clean up their brass. Have some fun. Make a rapid fire lane. It’s not complicated.
diversity = destruction
I'd be rich if I had a nickel for each steel case some jackoffs are always leaving on the ground at the range I use.
I consider myself fortunate to have a good club on a state lease. Conditions are usually excellent regarding wind and lighting, so you can really squeeze the last bits out of your firepower. Still, even though members are required to be NRA members as well, and we all are supposed to volunteer to help with upkeep and infrastructure, I'm still amazed at how often our target frames (4x8) get hit and damaged and need to be sweatily replaced. Four feet by eight feet and they MISS? These are supposedly upstanding adults and their well-socialized kids and relative guests!

And no, we don't generally ever need ROs except for sight in (oh, boy, is THAT a spectacle) and matches. Sometimes, it gets a little busy and a more-senior member will "take charge" in order to promote safety.
Back to the OP subject - there is a lot of speculation on what happened to get the RO attention. If you look at the background there does not appear to be anyone else shooting and most are looking in the shooters direction, possibly a cease-fire was called and he didn't hear it, or other possibilities such as someone down range - regardless what he was doing got everyones attention so it is likely that the shooter was doing something that he shouldn't have been. It would be good to know the whole story behind the film clip.

drover
Originally Posted by Seafire
I never like to be around guys like that....brass flying everywhere, and then most of the time around here, they never pick up the mess they made...

and they love to come in and pay their $7,00 because they aren't members and then go out and destroy two brand new target frames at 25 yards, with two 50 round clips...

My response tho, is to just pack up, head home and go back when its a lot less crowded and having guys like that there...

I do hate their attitudes of tearing up stuff and then assuming they have free room service also...

we have a million miles of Forest Service land they can go out and do that crap on....

Teehee.... You said "clips". 50-rounders, too.
Originally Posted by drover
Back to the OP subject - there is a lot of speculation on what happened to get the RO attention. If you look at the background there does not appear to be anyone else shooting and most are looking in the shooters direction, possibly a cease-fire was called and he didn't hear it, or other possibilities such as someone down range - regardless what he was doing got everyones attention so it is likely that the shooter was doing something that he shouldn't have been. It would be good to know the whole story behind the film clip.

drover

Keep in mind if he was "shooting to fast" it would also get others attention....
But what if it was a knee grow doing this at your range. There are plenty here that would object to even having one at their range.
© 24hourcampfire