Home
Posted By: GRIZZ John Wayne - 04/27/21
Fascinating...
https://youtu.be/hIf76KbdM8w
Posted By: hanco Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
He liked Hispanic women!
Posted By: rainshot Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
He was a great actor and more important, he was a great man. We all have faults but Hollywood in a satirical way has spawned the most disingenuous people in our country. John Wayne was a true American icon and an honorable man.
Posted By: add Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
First John Wayne thread this week?
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
Originally Posted by hanco
He liked Hispanic women!

Some of the prettiest women on the planet.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by hanco
He liked Hispanic women!

Some of the prettiest women on the planet.

True, but SHORT shelf life...
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
John Wayne was a little before my time but I really liked this documentary. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21

Thanks for posting
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
Real heros with Hollywood careers:

James Arness, Jimmy Stewart, Mel Brooks- WWII combat engineer and survivor of the Battle of the Bulge, Master Sergeant "Happy Trees" Robb Ross-20 years USAF, Paul Newman a backseater in WWII Navy Combat Aircraft, Sean Connery at age fifteen joined the Royal Navy and served three years aboard HMS Formidable, Peter Graves US Army Air Force 1944-45.

Honorable mention to Gene Hackman USMC four and a half years as a field radio operator, Gal Gadot a combat trainer for IDF, Dr Ruth trained as scout sniper and seriously wounded during Palestine War in 1948,
And finally WWII veteran USMC Staff Sergeant Bea Arthur
Idaho_Shooter John Wayne was not in the military
Originally Posted by jwp475

Oh boy, now ya did it!!
Posted By: Deans Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
An old football injury kept John Wayne out of WW II
Posted By: hanco Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
He caught hell from John Ford, because he didn’t join up.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
Originally Posted by Deans

Well, that was the reason The Duke gave in hindsight, but I doubt it really did as many volunteered with much worse conditions than that. If he wanted to, or his studio allowed, he would have found a uniform somewhere. Was always a sore subject with him in later years and I'm sure he regretted not serving.

Watch the video in the OP
Posted By: reivertom Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Well, that was the reason The Duke gave in hindsight, but I doubt it really did as many volunteered with much worse conditions than that. If he wanted to, or his studio allowed, he would have found a uniform somewhere. Was always a sore subject with him in later years and I'm sure he regretted not serving.

I don't think anybody doubted his patriotism in later years.

laugh
John Wayne had 4 children and was 34 years old when America entered WW11. His shoulder injury was from a surfing accident which worsened at football practice causing him to loose his scholarship
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21

I guess dumb fuqk from Idaho didn't watch this biography but felt compelled to comment anyway...Indication of a moron.
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

I guess dumb fuqk from Idaho didn't watch this biography but felt compelled to comment anyway...Indication of a moron.

Don't think he is the only one

Did not say he was. Just a few more Heros from Hollywood that I thought worth noting.

I left out many as, or possibly more deserving of course.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
John Wayne, James Arness, Jimmy Stewart, Mel Brooks- WWII combat engineer and survivor of the Battle of the Bulge, Master Sergeant "Happy Trees" Robb Ross-20 years USAF, Paul Newman a backseater in WWII Navy Combat Aircraft, Sean Connery at age fifteen joined the Royal Navy and served three years aboard HMS Formidable, Peter Graves US Army Air Force 1944-45.

Honorable mention to Gene Hackman USMC four and a half years as a field radio operator, Gal Gadot a combat trainer for IDF, Dr Ruth trained as scout sniper and seriously wounded during Palestine War in 1948,

And finally Martha Rae. She was touring fire bases in Vietnam, entertaining the troops, when a bunch of helos flew in some shot-up GIs.

Her handler apologized and said they'd have to cancel her show. He said he would take her back to her quarters.

She pointed to her lapel and said, "You see this? I'm a trained burn nurse. And I'm also a Bird Colonel in the US Army Reserves. Now take me to your wounded."
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
That was good.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
When he was filming True Grit near home, he was often spotted while in costume. However there is a photo of him coming out of a local restaurant in his everyday clothes. He was wearing a straw cabana hat, wearing Bermuda shorts, drinking a large soda from a straw.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
Jimmy Stewart flew bombing missions over nazi germany

"America's entry into World War II resulted in a deluge of support for the war effort from all sectors of society, and Hollywood was no exception. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status (classified as 3-A – family deferment). Wayne repeatedly wrote to John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford's military unit.[37] Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him since he was their only A-list actor under contract. Herbert J. Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract,[38] and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment.[39]

With Joan Blondell in Lady for a Night (1942)
U.S. National Archives records indicate that Wayne, in fact, did make an application[40] to serve in the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), precursor to the modern CIA, and had been accepted within the U.S. Army's allotted billet to the OSS. William J. Donovan, OSS Commander, wrote Wayne a letter informing him of his acceptance into the Field Photographic Unit, but the letter went to his estranged wife Josephine's home. She never told him about it. Wayne toured U.S. bases and hospitals in the South Pacific for three months in 1943 and 1944,[41] with the USO.[42][43][44] During this trip, he carried out a request from Donovan to assess whether General Douglas MacArthur, commander of the South West Pacific Area, or his staff were hindering the work of the OSS.[20]:88 Donovan later issued Wayne an OSS Certificate of Service to memorialize Wayne's contribution to the OSS mission.[20]:88["
Posted By: kwg020 Re: John Wayne - 04/27/21
The museum in Winterset is expanding. We are 18 mi south of i-80 and 18 mi west of I-35 in Central Iowa. If you get a chance stop by. I believe it's $20 to get through the door. The house is just around the corner from the museum so you can hit them both in one stop.

kwg
Q
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
John Wayne, James Arness, Jimmy Stewart, Mel Brooks- WWII combat engineer and survivor of the Battle of the Bulge, Master Sergeant "Happy Trees" Robb Ross-20 years USAF, Paul Newman a backseater in WWII Navy Combat Aircraft, Sean Connery at age fifteen joined the Royal Navy and served three years aboard HMS Formidable, Peter Graves US Army Air Force 1944-45.

And finally Martha Rae. She was touring fire bases in Vietnam, entertaining the troops, when a bunch of helos flew in some shot-up GIs.

Her handler apologized and said they'd have to cancel her show. He said he would take her back to her quarters.

She pointed to her lapel and said, "You see this? I'm a trained burn nurse. And I'm also a Bird Colonel in the US Army Reserves. Now take me to your wounded."

Okay, sure enough. I did include JW's name in the post. My most humble apologies. That was not my intention. That's what happens composing quickly during a work break and no proof reading. I will correct the post.
Posted By: saddlegun Re: John Wayne - 04/28/21
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

- He flew twenty bombing missions over nazi Germany.
- He was drafted into the war as a private.
- He took extension courses to earn a comission to serve as a pilot.
- He chose to serve in a combat role instead of doing morale tours as a Hollywood star.
- He volunteered for flight training to augment his racing pilot civilian experience.
- He served as an instructor pilot for nine months.
- He was promoted until he became the Chief of Staff of the Second Combat Wing.
- He served in the Army Reserve and then the Air Force Reserve after the war.
- He rose to the rank of Brigadier General in 1959.

John Wayne stayed home and made movies.......
Posted By: deltakid Re: John Wayne - 04/28/21
The Inspiration Channel is having a Duke month - John Wayne movies every weekend for the month of May.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: John Wayne - 04/28/21
Originally Posted by saddlegun

- He flew twenty bombing missions over nazi Germany.
- He was drafted into the war as a private.
- He took extension courses to earn a comission to serve as a pilot.
- He chose to serve in a combat role instead of doing morale tours as a Hollywood star.
- He volunteered for flight training to augment his racing pilot civilian experience.
- He served as an instructor pilot for nine months.
- He was promoted until he became the Chief of Staff of the Second Combat Wing.
- He served in the Army Reserve and then the Air Force Reserve after the war.
- He rose to the rank of Brigadier General in 1959.

John Wayne stayed home and made movies.......

No I KNOW you're a fugging communist and a canadian one at that.. but for the record :

John Wayne had 4 children and was 34 years old when America entered WW11. His shoulder injury was from a surfing accident which worsened at football practice causing him to loose his scholarship
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: John Wayne - 04/28/21

Clark Gable enlisted in the Army Air Corps and later flew several missions as a waist gunner on B17s. There was confirmation he shot down one German fighter. He was also used as a gunnery trainer because of his expert ability to shoot well at fast moving objects.

Not long after, the high brass said, Capt. Gable, we have lots and lots of waist gunners. There is only one Clark Gable. You're now coming back to the States and go on War Bond selling tours." And he did.

Many years ago I was dating a young actress whose father had been Gable's close friend and hunting partner. He had many pictures of himself and Gable hunting and at social events. He told me when they'd go quail, pheasant, duck and goose hunting together, he'd never seen anyone who could shoot as well as Gable.

FWIW.

L.W.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: John Wayne - 04/28/21
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Clark Gable enlisted in the Army Air Corps and later flew several missions as a waist gunner on B17s. There was confirmation he shot down one German fighter. He was also used as a gunnery trainer because of his expert ability to shoot well at fast moving objects.

Not long after, the high brass said, Capt. Gable, we have lots and lots of waist gunners. There is only one Clark Gable. You're now coming back to the States and go on War Bond selling tours." And he did.

Many years ago I was dating a young actress whose father had been Gable's close friend and hunting partner. He had many pictures of himself and Gable hunting and at social events. He told me when they'd go quail, pheasant, duck and goose hunting together, he'd never seen anyone who could shoot as well as Gable.

FWIW.

L.W.

didn't a young Robert Stack teach aerial gunnery due to his expertise at trap and skeet?
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: John Wayne - 04/28/21
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
"didn't a young Robert Stack teach aerial gunnery due to his expertise at trap and skeet?"

Yes.

L.W.
Posted By: mlschnei Re: John Wayne - 04/28/21
That was terrific. Thank you GRIZZ.

As far as Hollywood actors is WW2, I feel compelled to
mention Lee Marvin, wounded as a Marine on Saipan,
and little baby-faced Audie Murphy, baddest of them all.
Read his story here:

https://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/E...World-War-II-MoH-recipients/Audie-Murphy
Posted By: wabigoon Re: John Wayne - 04/28/21
If the Duke would have served, he could have pulled easy duty like many entertainers

No doubting his . patriotism!
© 24hourcampfire