Home
Posted By: OrangeDiablo 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Scary

Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Linky no worky
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
fixxxed
Posted By: mirage243 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
HOLY SHEIT . . . . . . Dude is lucky it didn't kill him.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21

It sure could have turned out worse. Thank the Lord it didn't.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Daaang, he's pretty lucky. One thing about messing with the 50 BMG, it won't hurt you, it will kill you.
That's Ugleeeee....
Posted By: 22250rem Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Scary indeed ! Thank God he's still alive. Came awful close to not making it.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Well, that's one way to take your cap off.
Posted By: rainshot Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
God Bless him. I do think there were clues that could've put up a red flag. Increasing muzzle blast and erratic accuracy for a couple. I do know from personal experience ammunition that is old and has been jostled around especially if heated, like carried on a dashboard for a while, can degrade the powder and change burning characteristics. It happened to friend of mine with factory 6mm Remington ammo. He did everything right and thanks to his dad and his exceptional health they managed to cheat death. That video is flinch worthy.
Posted By: mnmarlin Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Very lucky, amazing he's still with us.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Looks like a Serbu RN50, didn’t listen to the audio. Hell would freeze before I’d shoot a .50 BMG round in a break action hammer gun with a threaded breech cap.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
That rifle has ZERO gas handling features!
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Looks like a Serbu RN50, didn’t listen to the audio. Hell would freeze before I’d shoot a .50 BMG round in a break action hammer gun with a threaded breech cap.
I'd feel more confident firing 12 gauge in a threaded gas pipe!
Posted By: g5m Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Glad he survived. And that his dad was there.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
He's very lucky to have lived through that.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
That is one lucky dude.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Originally Posted by Tyrone

The gun maker said that only took 85K PSI.

85K isn't really all that much pressure....in a real action.....and that's all it took to about kill this guy.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
SAAMI pressure proof loads in 30/06 are about 84kPSI so maybe it wasn't that unreasonable - maybe Serbu tested to the same?
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
Sounds like a common carotid artery injury, not a jugular vein laceration. Very fortunate that he had training and his dad acted quickly. Best way to control arterial bleeding from penetrating wounds when a tourniquet can’t be applied is direct digital acclusion through the entrance hole. Good approach to remember.
Posted By: slumlord Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
He credits God and Vanderbilt, good for him.

Glad he was with his dad and made quick decisions.
Posted By: MM879 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/29/21
It is hard to belive that the action wasn't tested to at least twice the maximun expected pressure.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
That’s a different design than any other 50 on the market. I won’t knock it without knowing more, but threads vs locking lugs has me wondering. Could have have just been bad ammo.

With some hot mil ammo I’ve had to tap the bolt back on my SHTF 50, it has three large bolt lugs.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
Originally Posted by MM879
It is hard to belive that the action wasn't tested to at least twice the maximun expected pressure.

Is this a requirement? SAAMI or otherwise? Then again we don't know what the actual pressure was that blew it up.
Posted By: DMc Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
So what happened to the fire hydrant?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21

Me too.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
That’s a different design than any other 50 on the market. I won’t knock it without knowing more, but threads vs locking lugs has me wondering. Could have have just been bad ammo.

With some hot mil ammo I’ve had to tap the bolt back on my SHTF 50, it has three large bolt lugs.

Comes down to cross sectional area and strength of the metal. Either way, failure of thread or lugs leads to something coming backwards towards the shooter.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21

Sure glad Scott survived, he gave credit where credit was due
Posted By: MM879 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by MM879

Is this a requirement? SAAMI or otherwise? Then again we don't know what the actual pressure was that blew it up.

No, SAAMI is only +30% for a proof mark. I was thinking DFMEA requirements.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
The shooter gives a pretty detailed description of the explosion and his injuries around the 8 minute mark.

WOW, dude be lucky to be alive.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
That's a powerful story.
I will continue with that channel.
His life was saved. I pray that someone will have the opportunity to lead him to Christ and make sure that he has a home in heaven. That was close.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
He is lucky to be alive for sure. Quick thinking, training, and having his dad there saved his life. The only 50cal I've fired was in the Army. Now there is no way in hell you would get me behind one of these things, fugg that!!

I'm glad it turned out ok for him 🙏
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
Guy was kilt here a few months back here in So Cal WWII vintage ammo and from what I understand a modified WWII vintage rifle. This shooter had the gun benched and the bolt went through his chest and was found roughly 60 feet behind him.
The shooter was allegedly a "Gunsmith"
Posted By: las Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
There is a reason to reload your own, or use reliable factory loads. And a little "common sense".

File this under dumfuckery....
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
Lucky guy. The old finger in the hole on the artery trick.

My friend was at a gun show in Denver in about 2010 when a kid picked up a 40 S&W off a table and fired it into his friends chest. My friend was near by and he used to teach surg tech at a school in Utah. He said blood was pouring out so he stuck his finger in the hole and could feel it pumping from a large artery. He moved his finger to the side towards the heart and pressed it closed.

He said the ambulance took what seemed like for ever and the EMTs told him to remove his finger and move away so they could do their assessment. They got ignorant with him when he refused to. He told them here's your assessment, single gunshot wound to the chest, if I remove my finger without clamping this artery he'll be dead in about 60 seconds. They finally gave him a tool they use to clamp umbilical cords so he stuck them in along his finger and clamped the artery and then he left.

I Googled it after he told me the story and one article talked about the unknown man who had saved the boys life by closing off the artery until the ambulance got there.

Sometimes it's the common sense field experience that's good to know. That same friend almost died when the 870 his friend was shooting exploded and half of the bolt that sheared at a 45 degree angle went through my friends chest. Lucky for him the Dr working the ER in Le grande Oregon that day was an old Vietnam War Dr.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

My friend was at a gun show in Denver in about 2010 when a kid picked up a 40 S&W off a table and fired it into his friends chest. My friend was near by and he used to teach surg tech at a school in Utah. He said blood was pouring out so he stuck his finger in the hole and could feel it pumping from a large artery. He moved his finger to the side towards the heart and pressed it closed.

He said the ambulance took what seemed like for ever and the EMTs told him to remove his finger and move away so they could do their assessment. They got ignorant with him when he refused to. He told them here's your assessment, single gunshot wound to the chest, if I remove my finger without clamping this artery he'll be dead in about 60 seconds. They finally gave him a tool they use to clamp umbilical cords so he stuck them in along his finger and clamped the artery and then he left.

I Googled it after he told me the story and one article talked about the unknown man who had saved the boys life by closing off the artery until the ambulance got there.

Sometimes it's the common sense field experience that's good to know. That same friend almost died when the 870 his friend was shooting exploded and half of the bolt that sheared at a 45 degree angle went through my friends chest. Lucky for him the Dr working the ER in Le grande Oregon that day was an old Vietnam War Dr.

Bb

What's with the bolts through the chests? First the OP video, Grizz's S. CA , now this.
.It now makes me wonder how common bolt shear is.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

One in millions...
Posted By: Clarkm Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
85kpsi is a proof load.
I suspect the threads sheared off did not have enough engagement.
I would like to see a drawing or sketch and RC hardness of the parts.
Ias,

I have no data, but have never heard of this being a trend even with reloads. Plenty of blown chambers, which can remove portions of near anatomy, but can't remember the last time I heard of a bolt through a chest. However, I believe all three sources.
I think you are correct.
Posted By: 700LH Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
Lucky guy,, wow!
Originally Posted by Clarkm
85kpsi is a proof load.
….

From bad machining or bad design?
over-powdered...
85kpsi is a proof load.
….

Bad design.

It looks like a firecracker gun I made in 1965 with a 3/4" water pipe and an end cap.

[Linked Image from zoro.com]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
I watched that, and the dude is lucky to be alive. It's hard to judge the quality and safety of a firearm without being able to handle it, and see for yourself, but, I don't care for the design myself. Apparently he'd shot it a lot, for whatever that's worth. I'd say that it was most likely an ammo problem, which can happen when you're shooting ammo of an unknown quality.

IMO, he paid a price for wanting to be a YouTube personality.
Posted By: rem141r Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
that would take all the fun out of shooting for me. who wouldn't be thinking of that next time you squeeze off a high power round?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
Most guns aren't so poorly designed.
I doubt anything like that has ever happened with a genuine Mauser action.
Most guns aren't so poorly designed.
I doubt anything like that has ever happened with a genuine Mauser action.

[Linked Image]

In a VZ24 Mauser from 1924 made for 7x57mm, I converted to 7mmRM and fired a round Quickload calls 108k psi.
That caved in the lug abutments and flattened out the lugs. But I lapped it so the bolt would fit again, and shot an antelope with it.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
I know volume of gas comes into play too, but I don't think you could ever get an AR15 to eject it's bolt out the rear.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
Originally Posted by rainshot
God Bless him. I do think there were clues that could've put up a red flag. Increasing muzzle blast and erratic accuracy for a couple. I do know from personal experience ammunition that is old and has been jostled around especially if heated, like carried on a dashboard for a while, can degrade the powder and change burning characteristics. It happened to friend of mine with factory 6mm Remington ammo. He did everything right and thanks to his dad and his exceptional health they managed to cheat death. That video is flinch worthy.

This.

69 era 7.62 x51 4 to 1 link.
Tn NG struck some kinda drug deal with the 101 in 93 94 during Billy boys cutbacks.
Stored probably in varying conditions

Ruined alot of m60,s on qual ranges.
Excessive flash outta the muzzle and ejection port 1st clue.
Blowing extractor,s, wired plug ends on gas system, cracking bolt faces, shearing rollers on bolts, receivers bulged.
Ect ect ect
18 MG,s on Bn range.
5 deadlined for depot level repair or to be coded out.

Tore 3 rds down.
Powder had deteriorated to the point it had a cornmeal course flour like consistency.

Showed it to OIC
Word went up chain of command.
Range control, civilan range contact teams, 801st armorer section.

69 era ammo schitt canned back to asp for disposal.

Didnt have a qual range for about 7 months till we got some new LC in.
Posted By: hookeye Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
I wonder if previous shots damaged the gun and the last round nuked it.
Or if the Kaboom was 100% from one round.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21

This....
Some Rube Goldberg schitt......
Posted By: MPat70 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
85kpsi is a proof load.
….

Bad design.

It looks like a firecracker gun I made in 1965 with a 3/4" water pipe and an end cap.

[Linked Image from zoro.com]

We used ½ copper with an expended 410 shell with a hole in top to stick the fuse out. Hold the shell over the tubing with your thumb. Fun stuff.....
Originally Posted by hookeye
I wonder if previous shots damaged the gun and the last round nuked it.
Or if the Kaboom was 100% from one round.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit

My interpretation of the SAAMI registered proof load ratio being around 1.3, is so once proofed, we know is probably good for ten thousand rounds of max average pressure.
Posted By: erickg Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
It’s been a while, but I seem to remember SLAP ammo as being prohibited for use in our Barrett M107’s. SLAP was strictly for the M2 machine gun for armor piercing purposes. IIRC the sabots were fouling the barrels to dangerous levels, not sure why someone thought it would act differently in the M2.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
Wow, that was not fun at all. I have had some erratic performing WWII 30-06 ammo that exhibited pressure spikes so I only shot a few of the 2000 or so I had bought at a gun show.
Posted By: Windfall Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
A horrific video for sure. Is it possible that round could have been loaded by enemy forces and found it's way back into our surplus 50 BMG stock? As I understand it, the US loaded some "special" 7.62x39 ammo to salt over Vietnam that would have done that same boom thing to an AK-47.
Posted By: ringworm Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 04/30/21
Sorry but if he wasn't paying attention to the erratic results prior to there kaboom,v then ya gets what ya gets.
If I'm walking in the woods and hear wolves, see wolf crap a wolf tracks it's my bad off I don't turn around and get out of dodge.
I'm certainly not posting my idiocy online.
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 05/01/21
That load had to be well over 100,000 psi to create that much carnage, and I mean "well over"

Dean
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 05/01/21
Originally Posted by Windfall
A horrific video for sure. Is it possible that round could have been loaded by enemy forces and found it's way back into our surplus 50 BMG stock? As I understand it, the US loaded some "special" 7.62x39 ammo to salt over Vietnam that would have done that same boom thing to an AK-47.

I'd like a large helping of SLAP, hold the Italian Green, my eldest son.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 05/01/21
Originally Posted by erickg
It’s been a while, but I seem to remember SLAP ammo as being prohibited for use in our Barrett M107’s. SLAP was strictly for the M2 machine gun for armor piercing purposes. IIRC the sabots were fouling the barrels to dangerous levels, not sure why someone thought it would act differently in the M2.

I sent this video to a retired Army Col. friend, and he didn't think SLAP ammo was available to civilians. He commanded a few different Army Ordnance Plants during his 32 year career and was surprised seeing somebody messing around with it.
I personally flinched when I saw that he was using a flimsy looking break open action.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 05/01/21
My first thought was it looks like a third world design. My second thought was, Dad should have warned him about the incredibly different muzzle flash previously. My third thought was to send that video to my own (so-called) adult sons
Posted By: superlight17b Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 05/01/21
What s a SLAP round?
Posted By: BamaJoe Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 05/01/21
What is the shiny metal object in the video that comes flying off the gun when he loads and closes the action on the bad round? Look closely whatever it is goes flying towards the front of the table
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 05/01/21
Originally Posted by superlight17b
What s a SLAP round?

https://www.google.com/search?q=SLA.....69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Posted By: rickt300 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 05/01/21
Originally Posted by BamaJoe
What is the shiny metal object in the video that comes flying off the gun when he loads and closes the action on the bad round? Look closely whatever it is goes flying towards the front of the table

I saw that also.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 05/03/21
I saw something but thought it was a shadow. Might have to watch again.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: 50 Cal goes BOOM - 05/03/21
Originally Posted by rainshot

I agree. There were pressure signs before the kaboom.

I've watched that guy's videos before and enjoyed them. He tests a lot of guns and ammo. Glad he is ok.
© 24hourcampfire