Home
Posted By: Old_Toot Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
One heck of a hoss race and beautiful animals at their pinnacles of development.

7 time KD winner for the trainer of a horse that originally sold for 1000$ as a colt at its first auction and with no reserve.

The present owner paid 45,000$ for the horse.

This is the jockey’s 4th Kentucky Derby win.

On to Preakness.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
You’re gay
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Baffert knows how to train them for sure.....

Bob bet on the nag.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
That horse in the #1 slot with decent money making odds couldn't get out off the rail. I was watching him. No chance getting boxed in like that.

I think the favorite started too late for the final push, had a nice burst there after that last turn and looked to be gaining.

What a scheidt show that whole deal is though. Wife and I fast forwarded thru all the BS, just watched the race basically. And sorta had to laugh at the masks. 1/2 the folks not wearing them, 25% wearing them incorrectly, 15 % with them down around their necks, and the rest going back and forth between all those options.

Yep, masks work!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Yawn....
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad
That horse in the #1 slot with decent money making odds couldn't get out off the rail. I was watching him. No chance getting boxed in like that.

I think the favorite started too late for the final push, had a nice burst there after that last turn and looked to be gaining.

What a scheidt show that whole deal is though. Wife and I fast forwarded thru all the BS, just watched the race basically. And sorta had to laugh at the masks. 1/2 the folks not wearing them, 25% wearing them incorrectly, 15 % with them down around their necks, and the rest going back and forth between all those options.

Yep, masks work!

The gray horse on the outside was reeling them in it appeared, he just ran out of track and time.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
It was a great race.

That little horse would not be denied.
Posted By: 673 Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Yeah, I like watchin that, beautiful animals. The horse that won....holyschitt he kicked azz.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Yawn....

My normal reaction to such stuff too, but I love watching animals do what they were bred to do. And those horses were bred to run. Like our whippets. And, according to the horse people, those are the best for this year class.

I enjoy watching well trained horses do logging, or pulling wagons, and there's nothing like watching a good cutting horse work cattle. Especially if I get to watch herding dogs work too.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Announcer said it was 19 three-year olds, I'd like to see the minimum age raised to four (adult).
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Announcer said it was 19 three-year olds, I'd like to see the minimum age raised to four (adult).

Why is that, gh ?
Horses aren't fully developed, too many injuries because they're racing too young at 3-yrs. That's my opinion and that could make this thread run 20 pages with all kinds of differing opinions.
Horses aren't fully developed, too many injuries because they're racing too young at 3-yrs. That's my opinion and that could make this thread run 20 pages with all kinds of differing opinions.

Their forelegs do look mighty fragile at the end of those long legs.

Now that you mention it I’m surprised that PETA hasn’t asserted their opinions.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Their forelegs do look mighty fragile at the end of those long legs.

Now that you mention it I’m surprised that PETA hasn’t asserted their opinions.

The minimum allowable age of race horses has been an ongoing topic of conversation for many years. Different breed, but look at Lipizzaner stallions - they're allowed to grow and mature for 7+ years before they start formal training.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
"And down the stretch they come!"

Love horse races. Used to make bank at the harness races. Hit the happy hour for free grub prior to post time, have a few pops, and bet the ponies.
Originally Posted by Morewood
"And down the stretch they come!"

Love horse races. Used to make bank at the harness races. Hit the happy hour for free grub prior to post time, have a few pops, and bet the ponies.

I could easily see how it’d become a habit.
Posted By: Krazi Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
All I ever knew about horses was win place or show. wasn't good at that either
Posted By: duck911 Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Fun day! The Derby coincides with my B-day and for years we have had a massive party with friends at our place.

Today we grilled, drank, tossed some cornhole, relaxed, laughed, and had a great time, enjoying one HELL of a beautiful Colorado spring day.

Probably ~15 of us bet on the race... One of my buddies had a $4 exacta box that hit, for about $1k. He was the big winner. I was lucky to place and show, for a small loss. The top pony was not on any of our radar for sure.

I look forward to this weekend every year. So much fun!
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
I texted my DIL who lives in KY and she was picking Bourbonic who finished 13th.

When I heard who Bob Baffert’s horse was, I went with Medina Spirit. Wish I had laid a Franklin down on him.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21

3 years is fine IMHO, 2 year old is when they start and that is a bit young
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Kentucky Derby Bucks Activists, Plays Classic Song Before Race

The classic song “My Old Kentucky Home” will be played at the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, as the event will choose tradition over the complaints from activists who contend the ballad is racist.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Fugg the activist and their complaints.
Posted By: catosilvaje Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
He wasn't the fastest, biggest or most expensive but you can't beat a horse that won't be passed. He was my pick from the start.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Originally Posted by steve4102
Kentucky Derby Bucks Activists, Plays Classic Song Before Race

The classic song “My Old Kentucky Home” will be played at the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, as the event will choose tradition over the complaints from activists who contend the ballad is racist.

I didn't watch it, but good for them. That is one of the best parts of the event.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Giggity giggity

Jackpot!!!

If you went for the horses....homo alert !!
All nem purty white girl

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Burbonics jockey was interviewed by Janice Dean Saturday morning on Fox. It was a great interview and attracted a lot of attention to the horse. The jockey has a beautiful family, a great attitude and left a couple of the Fox anchors shedding a tear. He is Hispanic (can't recall his name) and was from Louisiana. Sorry he didn't have a faster horse.
It was a good race in a crowded field on a beautiful day in Kentucky. Beautiful horses running fast with no injuries, what's not to like. Medina Spirit should be named "Tough Little Bastard." It will be interesting to see how he holds up at the other distances.
Regarding "My Old Kentucky Home," I'm glad they kept it as part of the show but they did omit the lyrics.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Giggity giggity

Jackpot!!!

All nem purty white girl

Mean,

you just plain ol' mean.

Third one from R front? You sure about the white girl thing?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21
Horse racing was the NASCAR of the 1800s. Today, it's merely an anachronism.

But I'm biased. Never been on a horse and don't plan to. They're beautiful animals, to be sure. It's just that I think they're better on a plate than a track.
Originally Posted by jwp475

3 years is fine IMHO, 2 year old is when they start and that is a bit young

Some changes in the dog (especially sight hound/racing dog) world too.

Couple of years back the thinking was if one figured out their male wasn't going to be a breeder/confirmation show dog, then they get clipped early. Our most recent one, Dandee, came with a contract said we wouldn't neuter him for 16 months minimum. He has some pretty well developed muscular legs, stockier than our other male who was clipped early. And we stayed away from performance type events with him until he was over a year.

Makes sense to me, look at the difference between a steer and an ox.

Imagine it's not a lot different with horses. Don't push them until they've fully developed and I guess that's where the controversy is? Big money players want some return on investment too???
Originally Posted by slumlord
Giggity giggity

Jackpot!!!

All nem purty white girl

Mean,

you just plain ol' mean.

Third one from R front? You sure about the white girl thing?

Slum don’t practice culling.
Grins
Kind of "olive" looking skin there.

Maybe "not goy"? grin
Kind of "olive" looking skin there.

Maybe "not goy"? grin

Ya never know. Happens in even the best of families.

Grins
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Kentucky Derby - 05/02/21

Yep, masks work!

The gray horse on the outside was reeling them in it appeared, he just ran out of track and time.

I believe that was the favorite.
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

Yep, masks work!

I believe that was the favorite.

Yep.
© 24hourcampfire