Home
Posted By: jaguartx The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
Posted By: jaguartx Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
Sorry, the wrong video posted and then failed to delete until i copied the intended one.

The White Death
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
Great story
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
A hell of a story. Little Finland stood up against the Russian giant. The Finns were using captured and reworked Russian Mosin Nagant rifles.
Simo Haya, what a warrior.

The Finns invented the Molotov Cocktail. They had no tanks and they had no anti tank weapons. But, they figured out they could get an empty vodka bottle, fill it with gasoline, put a cloth wick in the top and light it. They threw several of these onto the Russian tank and learned this was a good way to kill Russians.
The Russian Foreign Minister was named Molotov.

The Molotov Cocktail. The Finns, warriors with a sense of humor.
Posted By: jeeper Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21

I thought it was about something else.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
A giant among men.
Posted By: achadwick Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Great story

+1
Posted By: slumlord Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
Originally Posted by jeeper

No doubt

I was thinking a subclavian central venous catheter with a stack of heparin locks.

Aka the white tube of death

🤪
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21

I was thinking refined sugar myself . . .
Posted By: cra1948 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I was thinking refined sugar myself . . .

This ^^^^^^^
Posted By: bruinruin Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
Interesting story, but that guy was hard to listen to.
Posted By: viking Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
Did anyone catch what his longest shot was? I didn’t hear it.
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
i like this version.

that first dude in painful
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xsRjmq5x938
Posted By: Mike_S Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
We used to call salt white death at the firehouse.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
White genocide!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
Welfare
Posted By: pavementends Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
I found the narrator difficult to listen to. The pictures used were pitiful. Looks like the video was put together by someone searching for pictures one the internet and including what ever came up first. Hard to believe they are trying to sell a service if this is the extent of their expertise. Waste of time.
Posted By: rainshot Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
I doubt his kills were at anything resembling extreme range but in that environment he would have been a formidable opponent. He knew his terrain and was a good shot probably at the range his equipment was capable of and he must have been well aware of his equipment's limitations. May he rest in peace. His accomplishments will probably never be challenged.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
RIP.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
Read about his achievements several years ago, his story is truly remarkable and his tactical expertise is legendary.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/09/21
most of his kills were at fairly close range.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Which in my opinion is what makes his tactical experience so great. There were numerous situations to where he was surrounded or the enemy where just a few yards of not get from him and he had to hold steady! He knew his trade!
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by pavementends
I found the narrator difficult to listen to. The pictures used were pitiful. Looks like the video was put together by someone searching for pictures one the internet and including what ever came up first. Hard to believe they are trying to sell a service if this is the extent of their expertise. Waste of time.

I laughed at about the 11:01 mark when it showed a soldier with a choke-tubed SAS and laughed again when it showed the scoped sniper rifle that Simo turned down; tupperware adjustable stock, looked like it was made yesterday not 80 some years ago. Interesting story, though; just not all that well told.
Posted By: horse1 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by Mike_S
We used to call salt white death at the firehouse.

Buddy used to ask for "Death Crystals" when he wanted someone to pass the salt.
Posted By: Seafire Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
We need people like him in cities that have Antifa and BLM rallies....
Posted By: Seafire Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter

just like hunting, doesn't getting closer mean you're a better hunter?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by Seafire
We need people like him in cities that have Antifa and BLM rallies....

Truth.

Probly be some before its over.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by rainshot
I doubt his kills were at anything resembling extreme range but in that environment he would have been a formidable opponent. He knew his terrain and was a good shot probably at the range his equipment was capable of and he must have been well aware of his equipment's limitations. May he rest in peace. His accomplishments will probably never be challenged.

And if at fairly close range, how did the Rs not pick him out from muzzle flash shooting near dawn or dusk?
Posted By: rainshot Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
He was very accomplished at his trade. I'm not trying to take away anything from his accomplishments. He will remain the greatest sniper in history according to his kills. He was in a target rich environment and knew the terrain and his equipment limitations used it to his advantage. I did not mean he was extremely close, just not what we call extreme range today. It said he used to pack snow in front of his muzzle so as not to leave a signature. I'm sure he took other measures too. It claimed he prepared well for his missions and I'm sure he took all the precautions he could to remain concealed.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Haven’t watched it yet but better than our Charles Hathcock?
Posted By: BobBrown Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Carlos Hathcock
Posted By: Jahrs Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Carlos Hathcock

đź‘Ť
Posted By: RickyD Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Amazing guy. The start of the video spoke of him shooting a kilometer. All his shots were likely not that far but that's amazing with an unscoped rifle.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
He was shooting the 7.62 x 54 r. Finns captured a bunch of Mosin Nagants in WW1 and reworked them at Finnish arsenals with new stocks, barrels and sights. They kept the original Russian action.
As I recall he was shooting the M28
I have a M39 Finn rifle made by Sako in 1941. Beautiful rifle, and accurate!

It is a fantastic story how the Finns were able to stand up to a Russian army that was 100 times bigger.

If you want to learn more you can buy the movie from Amazon

The Winter War
Posted By: ironbender Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
A hell of a story. Little Finland stood up against the Russian giant. The Finns were using captured and reworked Russian Mosin Nagant rifles.

The Finns invented the Molotov Cocktail. They had no tanks and they had no anti tank weapons. But, they figured out they could get an empty vodka bottle, fill it with gasoline, put a cloth wick in the top and light it. They threw several of these onto the Russian tank and learned this was a good way to kill Russians.

The Finns created the “Molotov cocktail “ name for the petrol bomb, but not the petrol bomb itself.

First used in the Spanish civil war. (1936-1939)
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/10/21
You are right, invented a few years earlier during the Spanish Civil War.
But the Finns mass produced them. I didn't know that I figured they were home made:

On 30 November 1939, the Soviet Union attacked Finland, starting what came to be known as the Winter War. The Finnish perfected the design and tactical use of the petrol bomb. The fuel for the Molotov cocktail was refined to a slightly sticky mixture of alcohol, kerosene, tar, and potassium chlorate. Further refinements included the attachment of wind-proof matches or a phial of chemicals that would ignite on breakage, thereby removing the need to pre-ignite the bottle, and leaving the bottle about one-third empty was found to make breaking more likely.[10]

A British War Office report dated June 1940 noted that:

The Finns' policy was to allow the Russian tanks to penetrate their defences, even inducing them to do so by 'canalising' them through gaps and concentrating their small arms fire on the infantry following them. The tanks that penetrated were taken on by gun fire in the open and by small parties of men armed with explosive charges and petrol bombs in the forests and villages... The essence of the policy was the separation of the AFVs from the infantry, as once on their own the tank has many blind spots and once brought to a stop can be disposed of at leisure.[11]

Molotov cocktails were eventually mass-produced by the Alko corporation at its Rajamäki distillery, bundled with matches to light them. Production totalled 450,000 during the Winter War. The original recipe of the Molotov cocktail was a mixture of ethanol, tar and gasoline in a 750 millilitres (0.79 US qt) bottle. The bottle had two long pyrotechnic storm matches attached to either side. Before use, one or both of the matches was lit; when the bottle broke on impact, the mixture ignited. The storm matches were found to be safer to use than a burning rag on the mouth of the bottle.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21

I remember a Drill Sergeant, when I was in Basic - stating that a tank was nothing but a big tin can. Disable, and apply heat - watch the internals explode out of it!
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by ironbender

The Finns created the “Molotov cocktail “ name for the petrol bomb, but not the petrol bomb itself.

Interesting. Given the term Molotov cocktail I took for granted that they were invented in Russia.
I’ve watched videos on “The White Death” before. I don’t doubt that there have been better precision shooters but the guy could obviously shoot and was a damn good hunter of men.
Posted By: paulfish308 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21
many of his kills were with a submachine gun at close range in ambushes in the snow. simo lost half his face to a soviet sniper.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx

And if at fairly close range, how did the Rs not pick him out from muzzle flash shooting near dawn or dusk?

Good question.
He was said to put snow into his mouth just before firing to keep his breath from showing.
He also laid down extremely rapid fire for a bolt gun.
You'd think that muzzle flash would give away position.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Good question.
He was said to put snow into his mouth just before firing to keep his breath from showing.

He obviously had some way of avoiding it but it would seem like it would have been easy enough to track his footprints in the snow and to run him down.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Good question.

He obviously had some way of avoiding it but it would seem like it would have been easy enough to track his footprints in the snow and to run him down.

One thing I noticed when the bullets whistle by is that you are suddenly on defense. Other than suppression fire, it's difficult to counter accurately or to advance when fired upon. His biggest advantage was not just marksmanship, but it seems like he set the tactical stage well in advance and mastered that skill.

Good question.

One thing I noticed when the bullets whistle by is that you are suddenly on defense. Other than suppression fire, it's difficult to counter accurately or to advance when fired upon. His biggest advantage was not just marksmanship, but it seems like he set the tactical stage well in advance and mastered that skill.

Absolutely and it works both ways. We especially as Americans love the idea of one shot one kill but knowing how to lay down suppressive fire even on a miss can be a potent strategy.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21
Cool story, horrible videos. American soldiers, shotguns, etc 🙄
Posted By: jaguartx Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21
Yep. Poorly done.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21

Good question.

Absolutely and it works both ways. We especially as Americans love the idea of one shot one kill but knowing how to lay down suppressive fire even on a miss can be a potent strategy.

Yep. He may have been ambushing them in a location they didnt have much cover and fired rapidly enough all the enemy was hauling ass and looking for cover.

Still it seems after he finished with them and left, it seems the survivors could have made sweeps and picked up his trail. How would he then get away? Maybe they didnt want to do anything more with him. Maybe they didnt know there was only one of him until late in the game.

I wish we knew the details.
Posted By: ironbender Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21

Interesting. Given the term Molotov cocktail I took for granted that they were invented in Russia.

From Wikipedia:
The name "Molotov cocktail" was coined by the Finns during the Winter War,[1] called Molotovin koktaili in Finnish. The name was a pejorative reference to Soviet foreign minister Vyacheslav Molotov, who was one of the architects of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact signed in late August 1939.

The name's origin came from the propaganda Molotov produced during the Winter War, mainly his declaration on Soviet state radio that bombing missions over Finland were actually airborne humanitarian food deliveries for their starving neighbours.[2] As a result, the Finns sarcastically dubbed the Soviet cluster bombs "Molotov bread baskets" in reference to Molotov's propaganda broadcasts.[3] When the hand-held bottle firebomb was developed to attack Soviet tanks, the Finns called it the "Molotov cocktail", as "a drink to go with his food parcels".[4]

Good question.

Yep. He may have been ambushing them in a location they didnt have much cover and fired rapidly enough all the enemy was hauling ass and looking for cover.

Still it seems after he finished with them and left, it seems the survivors could have made sweeps and picked up his trail. How would he then get away? Maybe they didnt want to do anything more with him. Maybe they didnt know there was only one of him until late in the game.

I wish we knew the details.

Same here.

I’m sure the average grunt on the ground wanted nothing to do with him but the Russian military wasn’t exactly above sending there soldiers to get butchered. Not knowing who hit them until later makes sense but I’d love to learn a detailed description of how he avoided them also.

From Wikipedia:
The name "Molotov cocktail" was coined by the Finns during the Winter War,[1] called Molotovin koktaili in Finnish. The name was a pejorative reference to Soviet foreign minister Vyacheslav Molotov, who was one of the architects of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact signed in late August 1939.

The name's origin came from the propaganda Molotov produced during the Winter War, mainly his declaration on Soviet state radio that bombing missions over Finland were actually airborne humanitarian food deliveries for their starving neighbours.[2] As a result, the Finns sarcastically dubbed the Soviet cluster bombs "Molotov bread baskets" in reference to Molotov's propaganda broadcasts.[3] When the hand-held bottle firebomb was developed to attack Soviet tanks, the Finns called it the "Molotov cocktail", as "a drink to go with his food parcels".[4]

Very cool info. Thanks for posting it.
Posted By: Willto Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21
He was shooting the 7.62 x 54 r. Finns captured a bunch of Mosin Nagants in WW1 and reworked them at Finnish arsenals with new stocks, barrels and sights. They kept the original Russian action.
As I recall he was shooting the M28
I have a M39 Finn rifle made by Sako in 1941. Beautiful rifle, and accurate!

I collect WW2 rifles and have a Finnish M-39 and a M-28. Nice rifles and very accurate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: The WHITE DEATH - 05/11/21
I had a FFl in the late 1980s and early 90s. I remember the adds for the Finnish model 28s and 39s. It said something outlandish like "Used by the king of Finland to shoot in the olympics"
© 24hourcampfire