Home
My Ohio concealed carry license expires next month. I am seriously considering allowing it to expire. I have never carried while driving and won't. What I wonder is whether an LEO stopping me would tend to be least nervous 1) if the computer shows that my license had expired, or 2) if I renew the license? In either case I will state right off to the officer that I am not carrying.

Full disclosure: I haven't been stopped since I was 19 (50 ears ago) driving to my job as a Boy Scout camp counselor in uniform. The officer did not say why, but I suspect it was because I probably looked like I was too young to drive. I have never had a bad encounter with any LEO.

I am not arguing against concealed carry; I just believe that I personally don't need it any more.

I appreciate your thoughts; thank you.
Re up your CCL. Always have a weapon in your car. Stand up for yourself and quit being afraid of the police.
No LLC I still carry though. no need for an LLC in your car in tx.
Originally Posted by Steven60
My Ohio concealed carry license expires next month. I am seriously considering allowing it to expire. I have never carried while driving and won't. What I wonder is whether an LEO stopping me would tend to be least nervous 1) if the computer shows that my license had expired, or 2) if I renew the license? In either case I will state right off to the officer that I am not carrying.

Full disclosure: I haven't been stopped since I was 19 (50 ears ago) driving to my job as a Boy Scout camp counselor in uniform. The officer did not say why, but I suspect it was because I probably looked like I was too young to drive. I have never had a bad encounter with any LEO.

I am not arguing against concealed carry; I just believe that I personally don't need it any more.

You have no business carrying.

So don’t bother with it.
Old saying - - - "You don't know what you don't know",
As a good guy we never know when a bad person wishes to harm you or your family.

I'm a former LEO If I stopped a person for any given reason, If they had their weapon on them, I never asked to see it. Sometime people will say, would you like to see it? I would respond, no, let's just leave it in your holster. I would ask, where is your weapon.
I know many other LEO who use this same method when dealing with a person with a weapons permit.

Bottom line, you need to make yourself happy.

Take care.

I am not arguing against concealed carry; I just believe that I personally don't need it any more. .
You won't need it - until you DO.. In today's world of 'thugs gone wild' I would never hesitate to renew.. But YMMV... Best wishes on your final decision..
Don't know how it works anywhere else but in SD a ccl automatically shows up when a LEO runs your plate number. Stop put the trans in park put your hands on the top of the wheel .He'll ask if you are armed tell the truth. They don't trust anyone and neither should you that's why you have a ccl in the first place. If you don't re up your license they'lll still think you have a gun. Mb
Move to a state where you don’t need permission from the government to exercise your constitutional rights.
When I see a cop tailing me, I pull over and get out.

Are you a female?
Here they would yell at you to stay in the vehicle, At least they used to.
Lot of people USE guns at times while travelling to help them or others in conflicts with dimocraps.

If you ever need one and dont have one youll never need one again.
Originally Posted by NYNY

Sure you do.
Sheep, sheep dog, or wolf.

Decide which one you are.
Originally Posted by deflave

So don’t bother with it.

Winner winner
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Don't know how it works anywhere else but in SD a ccl automatically shows up when a LEO runs your plate number. Stop put the trans in park put your hands on the top of the wheel .He'll ask if you are armed tell the truth. They don't trust anyone and neither should you that's why you have a ccl in the first place. If you don't re up your license they'lll still think you have a gun. Mb
If it's dark, turn on the dome lights - have your lic., registration, permits out and handy to show by the time it's (it - male or female; gender-neutral, doncha know).. at your window..
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
He they would yell at you to stay in the vehicle, At least they used to.

Yep. Getting out is an offensive move.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
If it's dark, turn on the dome lights - have your lic., registration, permits out and handy to show by the time it's (it - male or female; gender-neutral, doncha know).. at your window..

This.

Sure you do.

Hahaha.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

At 70 years old?
if you're asking other people whether you need a concealed carry license, or whether you should carry or no? you should have never even owned a gun, just forget the whole thing and let someone who IS carrying take care of you.

if that's not your question, I don't get what you're asking.
Let the permit expire
Sell the gun.
Take cookies to the bridge meetings.

You don't need to be carrying a gun. Your reasoning is confusing. Are you a Democrat?

At 70 years old?

WTH does age have to do with it. I am 80, never leave home without it, am fully capable of using it if the need arises.
Originally Posted by jnyork

At 70 years old?

WTH does age have to do with it. I am 80, never leave home without it, am fully capable of using it if the need arises.

Did you decide that when you were 70 years old?

You probably wouldn't be able to get it renewed anyway. In Iowa we need to do it at least 2 and better 3 months before expiration. Ours is for 5 years. Not sure about other states.
none of what the OP posted makes any sense
Just renewed mine yesterday (expires May 19th, good til June).......3 weeks max for permit renewal.

The State mails them out now, no more local picture permits.

$25 for 5 year renewal (on time)..........$50 if late.

Originally Posted by RickyD

You probably wouldn't be able to get it renewed anyway. In Iowa we need to do it at least 2 and better 3 months before expiration. Ours is for 5 years. Not sure about other states.

My CCW doesn't show up when my license or registration is run but I am supposed to tell the cops if I am armed. Does it even matter in a constitutional carry state?
"I have never carried while driving and won't."

Why not???
Why do people ask for advice on important matters from a bunch of anonymous strangers?
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Just renewed mine yesterday (expires May 19th, good til June).......3 weeks max for permit renewal.

The State mails them out now, no more local picture permits.

$25 for 5 year renewal (on time)..........$50 if late.

Originally Posted by RickyD

That's sure changed from the last time I had to renew it. Thanks for the info!
It's amazing to me the amount of people who submit to the government and ask permission to exercise a constitution right. And they think wearing a mask is the problem.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
It's amazing to me the amount of people who submit to the government and ask permission to exercise a constitution right. And they think wearing a mask is the problem.

Aren’t they one and the same?
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Aren’t they one and the same?

Seems to me to be, but folks just line up to ask permission from the government without batting an eye.
You're first thought was correct, you need to let it expire.
The last thing you should consider is what deflave has posted. Total bu$h!t. Get your carry permit renewed. Whether you carry or not, is your choice, nobody else.
If you get pulled over, whether you have a permit, or not, or have a gun, keep both hands in plain sight, and tell the cop you have a gun and permit if you do, or just get the info he wants. Just don't go grabbing stuff at random. You will be OK.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

this. total rambling and incoherent statements that are pretty much unrelated.
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
The last thing you should consider is what deflave has posted. Total bu$h!t. Get your carry permit renewed. Whether you carry or not, is your choice, nobody else.
If you get pulled over, whether you have a permit, or not, or have a gun, keep both hands in plain sight, and tell the cop you have a gun and permit if you do, or just get the info he wants. Just don't go grabbing stuff at random. You will be OK.

Brilliant.
Speaking only for myself but if I could know the time and place I/we would be attacked, I just would not be there. But as I am not prescient nor clairvoyant, I carry no matter what. And, Steven 60, I am older then you. wink

L.W.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Why do people ask for advice on important matters from a bunch of anonymous strangers?

It's got to be the empathy.
Re up.Things are going to get a lot worse before it gets better,if it will at all.You are responsible for you and your families safety

At 70 years old?

GRRRR, azzholegrin but you are correct in that the OP probably shouldn't be carrying anyway.

mike r

Sir , I'm not one to judge or make personnel attacks . But I believe you are just an old pussy . I bet you're the guy who's teenage son lipped off non-stop , and daughter was the class whore all because you would'nt lay down the law . I'm sure your wife ran the house and made the rules . Go back inside cause Momma might get mad if you're out of her sight to long .
Originally Posted by lvmiker

At 70 years old?

GRRRR, azzholegrin but you are correct in that the OP probably shouldn't be carrying anyway.

mike r

I don’t think anybody decides what kind of person they are at 70 years old.
Originally Posted by MJones

Sir , I'm not one to judge or make personnel attacks . But I believe you are just an old pussy . I bet you're the guy who's teenage son lipped off non-stop , and daughter was the class whore all because you would'nt lay down the law . I'm sure your wife ran the house and made the rules . Go back inside cause Momma might get mad if you're out of her sight to long .

Jesus.

I don't think you need one. You should give it up. Then again, I'm not in favor of retarded women carrying.
Lmao. This place has gotten brutal in the last few years.
I think the OP is of the dark skinned persuasion, that believes everything the MSM has to say about cops running around wanting to shoot people. If that's the case, he really needs to carry a gun. Cops aren't the problem. Other dark skinned folks are more likely to be the problem. Or any way 1/2 of the male population could put you at risk.
Question is a bit fuzzy. Our granddaughter in 9th grade probably would answer - "Why did you obtain the permit? Have those reasons gone away? Has your condition changed to the point where you have doubts about efficacy? If either of the last two are answered "yes", then you should decide for yourself instead of asking me - you would better know.

If neither was answered yes, re-up the permit if needed for your reasons - then be concisely forthright, act docile and follow instructions if a true officer of the law stops you.

Brilliant.

After reading the whole thread so far, everything you have said is worthless drivel. Drinking much?

Brilliant.

After reading the whole thread so far, everything you have said is worthless drivel. Drinking much?

I bet you look as dumb as you act.
Originally Posted by efw

So don’t bother with it.

Winner winner

Plus 3

🦫
Reup your license! Then do what you feel is good, for you and your family! Wife and I both carry, plus there is usually a shotgun, close at hand! To each his own!
Thread is going better for the OP than I figured it would.

OP, sounds like you don't think you should carry.
Then you s houldnt.
One thing is always certain. If you have a gun, there is a gun involved
in every situation YOU are in. If you aren't ready for that.
Don't carry!

Lee,
Gotta disagree.
If pulled over, dome light, hands high on wheel, window down.
No more.

Have a conversation with The Man, and let him ask for "Ze Papers".
Then explain where they are.

He really doesn't want to see you moving around and moving things
while he is getting our of his car.

Got pulled over one 3am.
Knew it want going to be good, over 70 in a 45 construction zone,
and a loaded Glock in the box on top of the papers.

Did as above, advised him of the gun while my hands were still on the wheel.
We got through it, and he thanked me for how I handled the situation.

I thanked him for the $100 failure to head warning signs ticket.
He saved me my license, and my truckdriving job.

At 70 years old?

mike r

Don't be so narrow minded, I am currently considering becoming either a missionary or a poet...or maybe an eskimo.

mike r

Don't be so narrow minded, I am currently considering becoming either a missionary or a poet...or maybe an eskimo.

mike r

PM 79S or ironbender.

They both live in an Eskimo village.
Doesn’t sound like much of a dilemma to me. A carry permit is for people who carry...
Keep your hands visible on the wheel. Don't dig around grabbing papers. The officer doesn't know what you're digging for.

-Jake

At 70 years old?

mike r

mike r

Well, Shît...All this time I thought you were already a monk.

🦫😜
It's always good to have a carry license even if you don't expect to use it. You never know when you might need to carry and it gives you an option.
Originally Posted by MJones

It’s good to know that you don’t judge or make personal attacks or lie through your false teeth.

Fuggin hilarious.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

You don't need to be carrying a gun. Your reasoning is confusing. Are you a Democrat?

This 👆🏻👆🏻
Originally Posted by Beaver10

At 70 years old?

mike r

mike r

Well, Shît...All this time I thought you were already a monk.

🦫😜

Is that an abbreviation for something?

mike r

mike r

PM 79S or ironbender.

I am trying to talk IB into swapping houses next summer. I am craving some Muktuk & gravy.

mike r

So don’t bother with it.

Amazingly, I agree with deflave for once! grin
What's the deal OP, you trolling, right?

mike r

PM 79S or ironbender.

You forgot Jim Conrad. He’s gonna be PISSED!
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
What's the deal OP, you trolling, right?

Bingo.....

If you live anywhere near a sizeable blue city or travel into one, & are a Caucasian, you should seriously reconsider that you don't need to carry.

Overall, your post has to be one of the dumbest I've seen on this forum in all the years that I've been here.

Deflave is right, you should be carrying given your state of mind.

MM

I suspect you're the ghost of a member who recently passed onto the netherworld, having been gunned dwn Monday night @ your local Dairy Queen or gas station. No sense looking for answers with obvious answers, friend. Head for the bright light. You'll be fine.
That works as long as you never leave that state. Not the smartest move
Three issues. First is whether to carry. Second is whether to get the permit. Third is making trigger happy cowardly cops "fear for their lives."

Absolutely carry. It's more important the older you get. I remember fighting as rather exhausting in my twenties. Be realistic. A jframe in your pocket isn't a burden.

Our permits are $80. Really streamlines gun purchases; not to mention covering yourself if you need to use a weapon. Also, here it is a weapons license. Much of our weapons law has to do with keeping blacks in line. You can be hassled over. 3±" belt knife if they're bored. GWL covers it.

Don't tell a cop you're packing if you're just sitting your truck with your hands on the wheel. Too many ways that can go wrong.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

mike r

PM 79S or ironbender.

No he IS an Eskimo.

But he lives on a farm.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

mike r

PM 79S or ironbender.

No he IS an Eskimo.

But he lives on a farm.

I hope it’s at least an igloo made of hay bales.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

He's fishing.
I have been in Malta, Mt. during an October blizzard that made Large James a You Tube sensation. That place is pretty much the southern arctic. It is kind of neat though w/out a lot of trees messing up the view.

mike r
OP: Thanks for reminding me to check the expiration date on my Ohio CCW license.

I very seldom carry but I think I need the license in case of SHTF. Until then, I only carry if I'm going into an unfamiliar part of the central city, which I try not to do. Before CCW was legal here I had a couple of instances where I wished I was carrying. Once, while lost and trying to find my car, I was approached by two guys. I am large and I think they thought I was carrying, as I kept my hand in my jacket pocket. Another time a young guy came up to me and was trying to solicit homosexual sex! He went away when I declined. In both instances the guys were a certain ethnic group, which was not Norwegian.

I think you should renew. Can't hurt anything.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
OP: Thanks for reminding me to check the expiration date on my Ohio CCW license.

I very seldom carry but I think I need the license in case of SHTF. Until then, I only carry if I'm going into an unfamiliar part of the central city, which I try not to do. Before CCW was legal here I had a couple of instances where I wished I was carrying. Once, while lost and trying to find my car, I was approached by two guys. I am large and I think they thought I was carrying, as I kept my hand in my jacket pocket. Another time a young guy came up to me and was trying to solicit homosexual sex! He went away when I declined. In both instances the guys were a certain ethnic group, which was not Norwegian.

I think you should renew. Can't hurt anything.

LOL
I have been in Malta, Mt. during an October blizzard that made Large James a You Tube sensation. That place is pretty much the southern arctic. It is kind of neat though w/out a lot of trees messing up the view.

mike r

mike r

In that snowstorm , did you see a group of Cobras?
Asking for a friend
Sheesh
I carried when it was illegal. When Virginia passed the conceal carry law I was one of the first in line to get mine. I carried it until I moved back to West “By God” Virginia. Immediately got my WV CCP. Now that we have constitutional carry I still get my concealed license. Why? Because I still travel to Virginia.

Back in the day I worked at Newport News Shipbuilding, there was a young sailor murdered. He stopped at a convenience store at Fort Eustis, as he walked to his vehicle there were two “darker colored” youths that took him at gunpoint. He drove them to his bank, took out $300 (max at the time). They then took him to over to Smithfield, shot him, set him on fire, then ran over him with his own vehicle. The look on the kids face that the bank camera captured said it all, it was desperate, I still see it today.

That’s why I have my license, that’s why I carry. Legal in your state or not.

For someone your age who would probably have a difficult time in a fight with a 20 year old...why would you not carry.....legal or not.
NEVER go out of the house unstrapped. PERIOD.

F the laws.
If you don't carry when you drive, then you don't carry when you get there either. So you don't carry at all. What's your question?
I've never understood the willingness of folks to "self register" themselves with a CCL. What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand.
You are 69 years old and wringing your hands about cops being nervous around you?

Man you gotta stop watching the news and live your life.

If you decide you don't want to re-up your ccw, don't. Quit overthinking [bleep].

I think given your mindset that is the right approach. If you are this nervous about things, you probably don't need to be carrying.
Well, if I could retract or delete this post, I sure would. Didn't mean to whack a hornet's nest but it seems I did any way.

With respect to the gentleman who said the original post was very poorly written; you're right. Thank you for pointing that out. I would have been far better off to have asked, "Do LEOs generally see CCW licencees as more law-abiding than most people they come in contact with?" and stopped there. Might have been an entirely different tone to the discussion. My bad.

I would like to thank the people who made comments that seemed to be intended to help. When someone else said I was a troll, I thought I should dispute that out of politeness to them.

For the people concerned with my demographics; I am 69, Caucasian and male. How or why that is relevant escapes me, but there it is.

To the person who said I should move to a different state; you're right too. Unfortunately there are a lot of personal reasons to stay.

To the rest...well, this has really shown me how unmoderated forums differ from moderated ones! I'm sure at this point I've piled up enough rocks so that the stoning can resume...so have at it. smile
In Texas, we are required by law to hand our CC permit over with our driver's license on a stop. That lets the officer know you're possibly carrying.

I've been stopped twice since I received my permit. First time, I wasn't carrying, and the officer asked, "Why not?" I replied I was just out quickly to pick my son up from school. He said, "Even so, you NEVER know when/where the bad guy is going to show up!". He's right.

Second time, I was carrying. The deputy sheriff asked if I was carrying, to which I responded with a yes. He asked where, and I told him. He simply told me to keep it holstered. His attitude became more relaxed after that - I guess he was one of the few that realizes a CCW means you're one of the good guys (wish there were more like him), as the rest of the stop went...friendly.

I used to wonder what a police stop would be like here in Texas. I now know it's mostly an extra courtesy point to consider with the police.

As a CDL holder and an Ohio resident who let his CCW expire for a few years while over the road in places like Canada and DC where I couldn’t carry, I speak from experience when I say they will still know that you had one, they will know it’s expired, and the ones I’ve encountered in Ohio will not be nervous if you don’t give them a reason to be.

Edited to add: And once I started driving local and sleeping in my bed at home again, I renewed my CCW almost 10 years ago and keep it up to date.
" they will still know that you had one, they will know it’s expired, and the ones I’ve encountered in Ohio will not be nervous if you don’t give them a reason to be."

I figured their computer system would do that. And as I said, I've never had a bad experience with the police. I also don't do anything that will get me stopped (as far as I know). If my vehicle matches the description of one they're looking for, that might change things, but it hasn't happened yet.

Thanks to both of you (TXLoader and bhemry) for the thoughtful responses!
I’d go a step further on the politeness I’ve experienced, and in talking to friends, and reading “Real life encounters” on the Ohioans For Concealed Carry website for years, in the early years when it was a new thing for Ohio, cops were all over the map in their treatment of CCW holders.

It’s been a thing for quite some time now and it seems like you get much better treatment than the “normal” public now. It’s almost as if they realized that the ones who have jumped thru hoops and been background checked are not the ones they need to worry about. In fact, if you’re NOT carrying they will often wonder why not and even suggest that maybe you should.

Me too. Cops are always tailing me. What's up with that?
© 24hourcampfire