Home
Posted By: EdM Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21

OGJ editors

May 10th, 2021

Colonial Pipeline Co. plans to “substantially restore operational service by the end of week,” the company said May 10. Colonial suffered a May 7 cybersecurity attack involving ransomware and took certain parts of its 5,500-mile, 2.5-million b/d system offline to contain the threat, temporarily halting all pipeline operations and affecting some of the company’s IT systems, which it has been in the process of restoring.

The pipeline moves gasoline and other refined products from the US Gulf Coast to southern and east coast markets, meeting roughly 45% of the regions’ gasoline and diesel needs. Colonial described the shutdowns as precautionary, noting that the most immediate threat was to its business systems, not its operations.

Initial market impacts of the outage were muted. Potential fuel price increases are expected to be limited to northeastern and southeastern states, with the 2-week journey from Europe limiting the ability of refiners there to capitalize on any potential shortages unless the shutdown is protracted.

Third-party cybersecurity experts have launched an investigation into the nature and scope of the incident. Colonial remains in contact with law enforcement and other federal agencies, including the US Department of Energy which is leading the federal government’s response.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said it is “working closely with the company” and other government agencies. To help avoid supply disruptions, the Department of Transportation issued a temporary hours of service exemption to allow motor carriers and drivers transporting gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, and other refined products to work longer hours.

“We continue to evaluate product inventory in storage tanks at our facilities and others along our system and are working with our shippers to move this product to terminals for local delivery,” Colonial said May 10. “Actions taken by the federal government to issue a temporary hours of service exemption for motor carriers and drivers transporting refined products across Colonial’s footprint should help alleviate local supply disruptions.”

https://www.ogj.com/pipelines-transportation/pipelines/article/14203048/colonial-plans-endweek-products-pipeline-restart?utm_source=OGJ+Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CPS210510017&o_eid=4092C7427178D8Y&rdx.ident%5Bpull%5D=omeda%7C4092C7427178D8Y&oly_enc_id=4092C7427178D8Y
Posted By: poboy Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21
Who has a history of shutting down pipelines?
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21
their logo looks an awful lot like Canadian Pacific Rail.
Posted By: deflave Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21
The news lady said stock up on gas right now because it’s a catastrophe.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21
I have diesel vehicles and a bulk storage tank of diesel (500 gal) . Word
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21
I’ll just say this. My county got hit with a ransomware attack back in December and it was freaking March before they got that schit straightened out. It was the damndest mess you have ever seen. And yeah, they were talking about week to get things back when they started. Apparently the hackers are very very good at what they do and build little roadblocks and booby traps through the whole mess. You think you have it figured out and making progress and bam, it’s right back to square one.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I’m gonna enslave Fireballz and make him suck dick for Spam.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I’ll just say this. My county got hit with a ransomware attack back in December and it was freaking March before they got that schit straightened out. It was the damndest mess you have ever seen. And yeah, they were talking about week to get things back when they started. Apparently the hackers are very very good at what they do and build little roadblocks and booby traps through the whole mess. You think you have it figured out and making progress and bam, it’s right back to square one.

Must be a big county.
Originally Posted by deflave

Hah WTF . You must like spam

Must be a big county.

I’ve no idea what you are even trying to say.

One BJ per can ? LMAO

Must be a big county.

MUST BE A BIG COUNTY !
After Fireballz gets done building fish ponds today and hauling marbles , he gunna see this and get M A D

Lmao
Posted By: ironbender Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21
Waiting for the “just send out a guy to open a valve” post.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21
waiting for nigerian style "private taps" to appear in the pipeline...

Must be a big county.

I’m saying that you must live in a big county.

Hah WTF . You must like spam

I feed it to my parakeets.

Must be a big county.

I’m saying that you must live in a big county.

Not particularly.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21

Must be a big county.

MUST BE A BIG COUNTY !

Hahaha.
Joe Bob, you'll learn not to ask. wink
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
Waiting for the “just send out a guy to open a valve” post.

Do we:

A) Buy a $50 million computer system to control the valves, or.....

B) Hire Billy Bob and Juan????
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21

Reminds of what happened here after hurricane harvey. My favorite was the idiot who filled a plastic trash can with gas in the back of his truck.
The F_I says it's those pesky Russians again, just like they said it was them who got Trump in.

Yep. We need to put the Squeeze on Putin.

Then, when he starts doing some shooting,

Biteme can run up the the white flag

And we will all be pootin.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by fburgtx

B) Hire Billy Bob and Juan????

Nope
They're already working as security guards at
nuclear power plants.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/11/21
Any bets for when the first lawsuit will be filed against Colonial for malfeasance? The CEO and CIO have a lot of explaining to do on why this happened. I wonder if they didn’t have recent backups in an offsite location or a warm alternate data center.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/12/21
Odd coincidence they discovered a leak in the pipeline in Huntersville NC that spilled an estimated 1.5 million gallons of gas and days later its hit by a cyber attack (of course, “Russia”) and is shut down? Bullshit....
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/12/21
Whoopsie
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/12/21

Posted By: kingfisher Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
Look how easy that was done hacking the computers. Anyone have any doubt the voting machines were not hacked or illegal ballots dumped for count?
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
Originally Posted by kingfisher
Look how easy that was done hacking the computers. Anyone have any doubt the voting machines were not hacked or illegal ballots dumped for count?

Obviously, we should have paid the ransom to get our president back.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
We're just starting to have this nation taken over from the outside, with crap like this.

They are getting a free pass and hands off by the democRATS, who are in collusion with it., selling out our nation to our enemies.

and so the American public stands down and stands by waiting to be told what to do...

We need to start by pulling democRATS out of office by any means necessary. to include Joe and Commie Harris.

they weren't legitimately elected any way.... any fool knows that...

and democRAT minions will believe anything they are told... even the supposedly educated smart ones..
Posted By: deflave Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
If this makes you feel uneasy just know that Boeing’s avionics can be hacked too.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
If this makes you feel uneasy just know that Boeing’s avionics can be hacked too.

Everything with a computer can be hacked. Oh, but not Dominion machines.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Everything with a computer can be hacked. Oh, but not Dominion machines.

Welllllll. They are not connected to the internet .
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21

Colonial Paid $5million ransom just hours after the attack - Payment did not stop logistical disruption

https://www.zdnet.com/article/colon...million-in-ransomware-blackmail-payment/
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
Just demand and supply.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
I wonder if bite me gets his cut from the ransom money?
Posted By: akasparky Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
Wait until everyone's driving a Tesla and they all come to a grinding halt one day in lieu of a few billion in ransom demands.

Elon would have to shake a few bits out of his coin bank to pay up.

They'll probably go after his rocket control network after he has them zooming back and forth to Mars, those with the deepest pockets have the greatest risks.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Hunter usually gets a new Porsche when they make a good score so watch for that.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Colonial Pipeline - 05/13/21
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Hunter usually gets a new Porsche when they make a good score so watch for that.

Last year Hunter was still driving a Porsche Panamera GTS but he's probably upgraded from that cheap, ( only about 129K ) vehicle to something more befitting of someone with his royalty status.
© 24hourcampfire