Home
I have a CZ 527 in .223 I am considering selling.
It has a 2-7 Leupold Rifleman scope mounted.
I cannot decide if I should leave it on the rifle, or take it off.
I don't really need it and I'm thinking it may well up the appeal of a sale. (and hence the price)
Likely it will be put on GunBroker so pricing it with/without the scope would not be a option. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Take it off. Sell it here.

Bruce
Them some high ass rings

It’s just a rifleman, the buyer would probably yank it off. You should save it for a rimfire.

Take it off and put it up. You’ll want it for something one day. That, or sell it separately. The only way I’d pay extra for a scope on a rifle is if it was a particular high end scope I really wanted.
The seller probably just has a tall head.........plus you can use the scope as a rifle carry-handle, with heavy gloves.

Originally Posted by slumlord
Them some high ass rings

Never get the full value of both when they are together. Take it off and sell separate.
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Never get the full value of both when they are together. Take it off and sell separate.

^^ This ^^
I’d sell separately, you’ll will get more.
If obvious a scope was put on a rifle to make a sale more attractive I'll be the first to say hell no. I'd like to buy the rifle but don't need another junk scope.

Sell separately.
Separate.

Especially the way that thing’s configured.
I'd take it off and sell it separate. I just bought a rifle that had the same type 2X7 Leupold scope on it. I paid a fair price for the rifle alone. Never gave the scope a bit of consideration. It was just there.

I'd likely put the same scope on the rifle if it wasn't already there, because it is one of my favorite scopes. I just already had a scope for the rifle, so it added no value to the deal for me.
Originally Posted by hanco
I’d sell separately, you’ll will get more.

pretty soon people will be clamoring for scopes without a bunch of electronic voodoo built in...

I got lucky last summer and found a non-wideview back up for my weaver at a yard sale for a dollar..
it had some scabs, but they wern't so deep I couldnt clean them up.

that reminds me I need to get some cold bluing...
I'll give you $300.00 as is, fug these guys. Mb
$305.00
Nv you shill bastard 310
Sell the rifle without the scope.

Sell the rings in the classifieds here.

Give the scope to a kid, or put on a RF. It’s just a rifleman.
Yank it off. Everyone has their own idea what they want in a scope.
Them some high ass rings

That's so you can get a proper jaw weld...
Off, always sell with the scope removed.
Model 557 or 527 ?
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
The seller probably just has a tall head.........plus you can use the scope as a rifle carry-handle, with heavy gloves.

Them some high ass rings

Like John Kerry tall!!!
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Model 557 or 527 ?

This
Originally Posted by deflave
Separate.

Especially the way that thing’s configured.

This !
Them some high ass rings

It’s just a rifleman, the buyer would probably yank it off. You should save it for a rimfire.

True this. The mis-mounted (stupid high) rings kill the appeal.
You right handed/left eye dominant and sit your face on top the stock?
Good eye!

Thanks
Off
High end mounts and rings can help a sale, but then again you have that 1" vs 30mm/high, medium, low rings that a buyer has already decided on, so I agree with the majority here. I have a friend that is coming over tomorrow to look at my Rem 700 and he already told me he doesn't need a scope. I asked him about the 1" rings, and he said I should leave them on. They are nice, gloss Leupold QRs, so they will add to the appeal of the rifle.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
High end mounts and rings can help a sale, but then again you have that 1" vs 30mm/high, medium, low rings that a buyer has already decided on, so I agree with the majority here. I have a friend that is coming over tomorrow to look at my Rem 700 and he already told me he doesn't need a scope. I asked him about the 1" rings, and he said I should leave them on. They are nice, gloss Leupold QRs, so they will add to the appeal of the rifle.

1” would have more appeal than 30mm to the average buyer. Tasco world class only come in 1”.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

1” would have more appeal than 30mm to the average buyer. Tasso world class only come in 1”.

Thats kinda funny right there
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Yank it off. Everyone has their own idea what they want in a scope.

Separately.. I would have no confidence in a scope that came with the rifle, and certainly the price would have to reflect that. High end scopes I'd have more confidence in, and would be worth repairing if need be.

But still would have to have a "sale' price on it,.
Kinda backward, but it shows my thoughts.

Was at a farm auction 20 years ago, looked at a few guns.
One was a Model 7 243. With a 3x9x40 vari XII.
"I have no use for an 18" 243"!

It came up and in typical fashion the auctioneer started high,
And no one would bid as he came down. Being an impatient type,
I bid around $200. Just to get it started, no way it's selling that cheap.
It stalled at around $330.

Hmmmm.
"Been looking at buying one of those scopes. They are bringing around
$230 new. That makes the rifle $100. Could sell it and have the scope free."

Ended up buying it at $365.

Still have the gun, of course.
It still wears that scope, as mounted.
But that's another thread! wink
Let me throw out a contrary position.

Over the past 20 years or so, about half my acquisitions have been through Gunbroker. I'm buying off of a picture and description.

I've got bad eyes, so a scope is generally a requirement. If there is a scope already mounted on the rifle, then I at least know there is probably a viable D&T job underneath. I generally replace both the scope and the rings, but it's important to know the rifle will hold a scope. A smith who can do a good D&T job is hard to come by in these parts.

Of course, these are not high-end rifles or high-end scopes. I've got a drawer full of see-thru mounts if anyone is interested.
Generally no, but if a special mount with proprietary or custom bases is on the gun, such as a claw mount, selling the scope seperately greatly diminishes the value of the gun. I've come across too many otherwise nice guns that I passed on because they weren't worth the 600-700 extra € to replace the claw mount.
Man......
Don't listen to these guys bad advice about selling the rifle and scope seperate.

Put that setup on gunbroker as is!!!
You will find your buyer looking for their dream rifle and scope combo!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Take it off and put it up. You’ll want it for something one day. That, or sell it separately. The only way I’d pay extra for a scope on a rifle is if it was a particular high end scope I really wanted.
That.

And I guess those higher-than-the-sky rings are required if one doesn't wanna touch that stock with a cheek.. Yikes! laugh laugh
Uncle Alva>>>>>Herman Munster
I always liked Danny Bonaduce on the Partridge Family.

He sure didn't age well.

Originally Posted by renegade50
Man......
Don't listen to these guys bad advice about selling the rifle and scope seperate.

Put that setup on gunbroker as is!!!
You will find your buyer looking for their dream rifle and scope combo!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Thats Renes prom date lmao
That's your answer to everything....

Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Yank it off.
Originally Posted by shaman

I've got bad eyes, so a scope is generally a requirement. If there is a scope already mounted on the rifle, then I at least know there is probably a viable D&T job underneath. I generally replace both the scope and the rings, but it's important to know the rifle will hold a scope. A smith who can do a good D&T job is hard to come by in these parts.

What factory rifles in the past 50+ years haven't been drilled and tapped?
Originally Posted by UPhiker
[ What factory rifles in the past 50+ years haven't been drilled and tapped?

Exactly! I'm not talking about anything made in the past 50 years.
I can only recall having bought one rifle with a scope. It was a No. 1B in.308 with a 3.3-10 Nikon scope that looked like schitt on the rifle and was completely inappropriate for my purposes for that rifle. I immediately replaced it with a 1.5 - 5 VX III which has served admirably. The Nikon went on my old 788 .222. It’s okay there.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

This version of " Bob" really seems to struggle at times with his abilty to work off good material presented on the threads.
"Bob" just log off for awhile man.
Let the other " Bobs" run him for awhile dude.
Your kinda degrading the other " Bobs" abilities.
Almost a embarrassment to the rest of em.
Dont feel bad man.... The Tn mafia would never let me run Catman529 cause they knew I would totally fugg up his persona, like you do in alot of ways when you run " Bob".

Just go to Shipleys Donuts and get yourself some Bismarks man.
You need some sugar to get them synaptic pathways firing right on that hit and miss farm engine/ brain of yours man.

I'm concerned about you man.

🤗🤗🤗😄😄😄😄😄
My experience is I net more money selling them separately if the scope isn’t a complete turd.

YMMV

#Shamanator

This version of " Bob" really seems to struggle at times with his abilty to work off good material presented on the threads.
Dont feel bad man.... The Tn mafia would never let me run Catman529 cause they knew I would totally fugg up his persona, like you do in alot of ways when you run " Bob".

You need some sugar to get them synaptic pathways firing right on that hit and miss farm engine/ brain of yours man.

🤗🤗🤗😄😄😄😄😄

Me thinks you are a narcissist

#Shamanator

Shaman is the man!!!

👍👍👍👍👍 links to his website he puts up.
Always hitting the like options on his stuff!!!

🤗🤗🤗😄😄😄😄😄

I am.
I love me.

👍👍👍👍👍👍🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪😇😇😇😇😇😇😆😆😆😆😆
So.....
Your not gonna go to Shipley's Donuts then????
Better go before mid morning donut run by CPD.

LOL!!!

🤗🤗🤗😄😄😄😄😄

I am.
I love me.

👍👍👍👍👍👍🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪😇😇😇😇😇😇😆😆😆😆😆

What’d you do all day for the Sheriffs office? Cavity searches?

🤗🤗🤗😄😄😄😄😄

I am.
I love me.

👍👍👍👍👍👍🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪😇😇😇😇😇😇😆😆😆😆😆

What’d you do all day for the Sheriffs office? Cavity searches?

Full body...
To the elbow..
Espeically on contractors.

LOL!!!
No gloves.

And long nail extensions from the Groid beauty palor on top of boothill by Littles fish market....

Raw dog..

The total experience....

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I asked this same question about a year ago. The consensus was that you will do much better selling them separately.
I own or have sold Leupold and other quality scopes bought on rifles just to get the scope, that after the rifle was resold the scope was free or cost me $25-50.

I would determine what you want out of it and list it as is,if you dont find a buyer seperate them,what do you have to loose.
With those rings you could always mount a flashlight under the scope for predator hunting at night.

#Shamanator

Shaman is the man!!!

👍👍👍👍👍 links to his website he puts up.
Always hitting the like options on his stuff!!!

Aw shucks! Thanks. I appreciate the appreciation.

See, I spent most of the last 40 years taking near-basketcases and refurbishing them. I used to be happier than a pig in slop giving me a $100 deer rifle that looked like it had been drug behind the truck.

Renegade50: OK, now I've found the guy who always upvotes my stuff. (Thanks again!) Now I have to find the a-hole that goes around down-voting everything and never leaving a comment. I wish he'd wise up and figure out he doesn't like my site and go away.
I think it's bullshyte to strip a rifle of optics when selling, especially when the scope works well with the firearm and cartridge. In this case, however, that's not what I'd want.

And I'll say that only ONCE in my lifetime have I ever bought a "package" that was actually properly set up, with bases, rings, and scope done right. Still have that rifle, still report to the former owner on how his rifle still shoots lights out. That rifle also came with 50 rounds of the "recipe" and I still shoot that load. But I'm honestly interested in fully-equipped guns that at least have the right components, even if not set up right. I've gotten good deals that way, good shooters. On my part, I've let go of two good rifles, fully set up, packaged with dies, recipe, glass -- and the new owners tell me they'll never sell. And as I start to downsize, my iron and glass will all go as package deals, rather than be cannibalized.

Well my friend bought my Mod 700 and brought over a couple of older Redfield 3x9 wide view scopes, and asked me to mount one of them for him. I chose the one that had a range finder reticle. When you increase the magnification a dial at the bottom pushes up at 50 yard intervals all the way to 600 yards. Pretty cool. Had not seen that feature before in those wide view Redfields.

Operator's Manual]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If an old rifle or ex-military rifle, I don't want bases on it. I've bought a couple that were Swiss cheesed but hidden by bases. They had 2 or 3 different bases on it over time, and some holes not in line with the rest.

Bruce
© 24hourcampfire