How?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
I think all you need is some cowpies? smile
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Got those Rooster! laugh
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Only the magic ones.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
The process is the same as the US school system: keep them in the dark and feed them bullschit.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone do it?

How?

It depends on what type of mushroom, there are different techs depending on what you're growing.
Posted By: EdM Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
I have had Roger's...
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
I grow [bleep] using oak logs. You use green oak logs and drill 5/16" holes every 6" the length and circumference of the logs. You buy dowel pegs that are inoculated with the mushroom spoors and drive them flush with the surface of your logs. Stack the logs off of the ground.... I use 4 concrete blocks and stack the logs log cabin style. It's been taking mine a year or a little longer for them to start producing. I don't get any during the coldest months or during hot dry weather they can appear any time during the rest of the year. I've gotten as many as 9 flushes a year and expect at least 1 year of production for each inch of diameter of your logs.
I cut that are 6"-8" in diameter about 5' long and one bag of dowels will make 10-11 logs for me. I've filled a plastic grocery bag many times from a rack of logs as described.
To harvest you cut the cap free from the stem leaving the stem attached to the log. They are a solid meaty mushroom. If you let them grow long enough the caps can get larger than your palm. I have battered and deep fried them and made mushroom sandwiches with a few strips of bacon and a slice of tomato. Mmmm Mmmm good.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
3 or 4 grams of em in a Mcdonalds cheeseburger makes eating em tastier.
Then about 30 45 mins later the world becomes a Picasso painting.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
That is what a friend in the early 80,s told me.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Very interesting. Got any pics of said logs in varying degrees of flush?

What are the light moisture requirements?

Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
I grow [bleep] using oak logs. You use green oak logs and drill 5/16" holes every 6" the length and circumference of the logs. You buy dowel pegs that are inoculated with the mushroom spoors and drive them flush with the surface of your logs. Stack the logs off of the ground.... I use 4 concrete blocks and stack the logs log cabin style. It's been taking mine a year or a little longer for them to start producing. I don't get any during the coldest months or during hot dry weather they can appear any time during the rest of the year. I've gotten as many as 9 flushes a year and expect at least 1 year of production for each inch of diameter of your logs.
I cut that are 6"-8" in diameter about 5' long and one bag of dowels will make 10-11 logs for me. I've filled a plastic grocery bag many times from a rack of logs as described.
To harvest you cut the cap free from the stem leaving the stem attached to the log. They are a solid meaty mushroom. If you let them grow long enough the caps can get larger than your palm. I have battered and deep fried them and made mushroom sandwiches with a few strips of bacon and a slice of tomato. Mmmm Mmmm good.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by FatCity67

+1, that is interesting.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The process is the same as the US school system: keep them in the dark and feed them bullschit.

Haha. Pretty much.
Posted By: killerv Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
I helped a guy do it with some old logs, dont know what came of it. I know he ordered a bunch of the spore capsuls for it and I believe covered them with candle wax.

Roommate in college had a styrofoam cooler, cow patties, and a humidifier running to it.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by killerv
I helped a guy do it with some old logs, dont know what came of it. I know he ordered a bunch of the spore capsuls for it and I believe covered them with candle wax.

Roommate in college had a styrofoam cooler, cow patties, and a humidifier running to it.

Things are growing all over Ft Polk on the free range horse patties.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone do it?

How?

Watch those wet cow piles for the little grey brown ones in cloudy weather.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by killerv

Ha, raising the psychodylic Bill Clinton fave.
Posted By: hendricks Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Used to work on a mushroom farm growing [bleep] and oysters. We grew them in bags filled with finely ground wood. It takes them 6+ months to inoculate. We grew them in indoors at around 80 degrees and 80%+ humidity. Growing mushrooms, especially at volume is a lot of hard work and fine tuning. If you have any specific questions let me know.
Posted By: cleanbarrel Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21

I use maple logs & sawdust shiitake spawn instead of plugs. Fresh mushrooms are delicious !!
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
mexicans used to collect my sisters stall muckings for their grow houses..
Posted By: ballyhoo Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Just started $hitakes, Oysters, and Pioppini this spring. Got my spawn here https://www.ashevillefungi.com/ . Lots of good info on that site regarding inoculation, tree types, log stacking, etc.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
https://mycotopia.net/forum/180-fungi-all-edible-medicinal-and-other-fungi/
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
We've done oysters and lions mane. Kind of a hassle. And takes up too much space in my opinion. Then we got more than we could immediately use.

Much easier to forage what is in season if what you like us common in your area.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Surely, like for so many other things, a trip to youtube would provide a bunch of info.

Hate to promote them, but they do have a plethora of info online.
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: Growing Mushrooms? - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by FatCity67

The word "$hitake"got bleeped. No, I never bothered photographing them but I imagine if you google them you will find lots of photos.
I'm located in central Mo. so our humidity is usually between 50% to 95%. I have mine in a lightly shaded spot... think of a city park with scattered trees.
I have not looked at my logs for a week or so but with the rains and cooler temperatures there should be some ready to pick.
© 24hourcampfire