Home
SCOTUS today struck down the warrantless search of a home and seizure of firearms.

Caniglia had a dispute with his wife, who spent the night elsewhere. Next day, she asked the police to do a welfare check on him, which they did. They subsequently entered his home and seized his firearms, on the basis that he might be a danger to himself or others, though as far as I know, that was just based on supposition.

First Circuit upheld the search and seizure under the "community care taking exclusion".

SCOTUS pretty much nuked that argument, and gave a firm 9-0 spanking to the First Circuit.
GOOD!!!!
That should be the death of "Red Flag" laws.
I wonder what effect if any this would have on red flag laws?
Wouldn't the SCOUTS decision be the precedent for future challenges?
Originally Posted by denton
SCOTUS pretty much nuked that argument, and gave a firm 9-0 spanking to the First Circuit.

Good.

There ought to be a consequence for justices on the circuit level voting to uphold something that the high court overturns unanimously when no new evidence is introduced. Obvious sign of political partisanship and/or inability to interpret law.
Wow Elana Kagan and Soda Mayo too
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
I wonder what effect if any this would have on red flag laws?

Just a guess, GRIZZ but one would think that there would have to be some history of past bad behavior to apply the Red Flag laws or a specific, documented threat of sorts to use them.

I’m surprised at 9-0.
This is great news. Praise God.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Yep,

but pretty much what the Constitution says about searches.

System seems to have worked...................................for this particular case at least.
That is great news!
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Won’t have any effect on Red Flag laws as that they are an entirely different thing.
Ramblings on Red Flag laws....

Just for the record, I pulled the data on Indiana suicide rates, before vs. after their red flag law. Zero detectable effect. Nada. Zip.

I'm not sure of the effect if this ruling on Red Flag laws. You can't enter someone's home and seize weapons under the "general caretaking" doctrine. I don't know if that applies to a case where the legislature has specifically said that you can. But I suspect that this ruling may lay an ax to the root of the whole Red Flag scam.
The Red Flag affidavits and the subsequent order are the equivalent of a warrant. This merely strikes down the ability of a cop to say, “Hey, there is a gun. I’d better seize it...for you know, public safety.”
If Biden gets his way, the court vote would be closer to 9-6.
This holds some promise about Red Flag laws, but Red Flag laws have at least a faint semblance of due process in that a judge is involved. In this case the police took it upon themselves to act without even having judge rubber stamp an order.

They'll just get a warrant.
Originally Posted by g5m

that requires a fairly significant reason..

I wonder how this applies to that couple in Alaska raided looking for Pelosi's computer.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by g5m

that requires a fairly significant reason..

I wonder how this applies to that couple in Alaska raided looking for Pelosi's computer.

Was that a warrantless search?
Is a warrant based on an incorrect identification still a valid warrant? Void vs. voidable?
not certain. who wrote that thread?
I know (heard?) that they had the wrong person...m
the basis was that he looked like a guy whi was at the capital...

edit..
apparently the were shown a warrant after the raid..
https://www.alaskapublic.org

Never forget they have their own deviant reasons.They didn't vote for citizens rights,they want to neuter the police.

They want federal government control of all police departments.Never forget,Kagan is a homosexual Bolshevik and her vote was to diminish local control in the hopes of creating federal control.
HAH! Dream on....

Worth repeating.

I can't see "red flag laws" being constitutional. Someone thinks one is a danger and the police then confiscate their firearms. Without a crime being committed

edit..

I believe it was the woman who was misidentified.
Originally Posted by jwp475

I can't see "red flag laws" being constitutional. Someone thinks one is a danger and the police then confiscate their firearms. Without a crime being committed

I'm with you on that.

Personal freedom is a basic, protected right. So also is possession of firearms. Neither right is superior to the other. If there is enough evidence to take away firearms, then there also has to be enough evidence to lock the person up. If you can't lock them up, then I don't think you can take their firearms, either.

It would have been a different tally but Ruth be dead.😂😂
I would bet that the soon to be x-wife was doing the cop. Standard move for the aggrieved.
I wouldn’t have thought they could have reached a 9-0 decision on where to eat lunch.
Wow the libs joined in too? Amazing.
Well they finally got one right.......
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
This is great news. Praise God.

Amen.
Originally Posted by hatari

Worth repeating.

You old guys are easily bamboozled.

Originally Posted by rte

Never forget they have their own deviant reasons.They didn't vote for citizens rights,they want to neuter the police.

They want federal government control of all police departments.Never forget,Kagan is a homosexual Bolshevik and her vote was to diminish local control in the hopes of creating federal control.
9-0 outstanding
Originally Posted by denton
SCOTUS today struck down the warrantless search of a home and seizure of firearms.

Caniglia had a dispute with his wife, who spent the night elsewhere. Next day, she asked the police to do a welfare check on him, which they did. They subsequently entered his home and seized his firearms, on the basis that he might be a danger to himself or others, though as far as I know, that was just based on supposition.

First Circuit upheld the search and seizure under the "community care taking exclusion".

That's a start. Next they need to end seizure warrants for firearms absent a due process determination of mental instability creating danger to self or others. "Due process" afforded ex post facto isn't due process.
Originally Posted by jwp475

it a lot more like being reported by your neighbors as "politically unreliable" to the Gestapo or Cheka.
So, did the guy get his guns back?
Originally Posted by cuznguido
So, did the guy get his guns back?

If he did, you can bet your ass they were all scratched up and beat to schitt. And probably missing any “Hi-Cap” magazines that went with the guns.
The police shouldn't have to deal with crazy people before they commit crimes.

I sure hope so because they are terrible. I should say the power they give to the government is frightening.
Sotomayor aka, The Wise Latrina.
I have to admit, I'm fairly surprised.

MM

Jaw dropper
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I have to admit, I'm fairly surprised.

MM

So am I..
Originally Posted by ironbender

edit..

I believe it was the woman who was misidentified.

And if the article I read was accurate (a dangerous assumption), the feds just flashed some paperwork at her without letting them read it. Was there a warrant?
© 24hourcampfire