Home
Posted By: limofarm Airstream camper - 05/23/21
The wife and I are thinking about a new camper and wondering if airstreams are worth the cost? Looking at something in the 19-20 ft. Range. Airstreams are about 3x times what cheap campers run, are they worth it? Thanks Darrell
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
Resale on them is super high but if you are worried about that better get a 24+ footer 19-20 is crowded for 2.
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
I agree with the above. Definitely get bigger than you think you need. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did. We have a 26 and it’s perfect for my wife and I. They cost more but you get what you pay for.
Posted By: deflave Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
Airstreams, Casita’s, and Scamp’s hold value.

If you don’t care about that, buy something else.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
I’ve had a 26’ International since 2007. Great rig. I’d say that the other brands of RV’s have many more ‘features’ but almost always at the expense of quality. I’ve criss-crossed the country 4-5 times and wandered around the East & West hunting & fishing for up to 50 days at a time. In my opinion, after 14 years and probably close to 100,000 miles, the trailer is aging well. All I have to do is routine maintenance and properly winterize. My other friends are already on their second or third trailers as the Silver Twinkie, as my daughter calls it, keeps on cruising.

I think anything much longer than 26’ could get dicey on backwoods muddy & rutty roads where mine seems to wind up often but your use might be different than mine. For sleeping, it’s great for 2 but my floor plan uses the space for a third bed as a mobile office. I’m not a fan of using the kitchen table as a bed on a regular basis. Seems to disrupt the already tight quarters more than I enjoy.

I think they are worth every penny as an asset that depreciates slower than most comparable trailers and will always have an easy re-sale should I need to bail out.

Good luck!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Resale on them is super high but if you are worried about that better get a 24+ footer 19-20 is crowded for 2.

Solid advice.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
High price but high resale value. Quality construction with the same lousy pumps, furnace, water heater, reefer, etc. that every other manufacturerer uses. No storage room. Heavy. No clearance - tough to even pull into driveways. Rear bumber cannot even support a bike rack except for a Famirra that needs multible reinforcement modifications.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
OTOH, you could probably buy/sell 3 NEW “cheaper” campers for the same price. Yes, resale is more on an Airstream, and if you get a used one, that’s great when you sell it. If you get a NEW one, though, you’ll probably lose $15k plus driving it off the lot.

They’re “neat”, but no slideouts make them seem cramped, to me...
Posted By: Riverc Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
I worked in RV Parks in different states for 7 yrs. seen almost every camper made.I like Airstream but would not buy one due to not having any slideouts.First camper i bought was a 28' Sandpiper TT no slides was nice at first but didn't last long.2nd camper was a Cardinal 33' TT with 2 slideouts kept it 2.5 years traded for lack of storage.My 3rd was a Cardinal 35' FW with 3 slideouts and was happy with that one.Lots of room and storage.

if you buy just for weekend camping,vacations the Airstream should be ok.If you plan to full time or for extended stays it will most likely get old soon.
Posted By: EdM Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
Originally Posted by Riverc
I worked in RV Parks in different states for 7 yrs. seen almost every camper made.I like Airstream but would not buy one due to not having any slideouts.First camper i bought was a 28' Sandpiper TT no slides was nice at first but didn't last long.2nd camper was a Cardinal 33' TT with 2 slideouts kept it 2.5 years traded for lack of storage.My 3rd was a Cardinal 35' FW with 3 slideouts and was happy with that one.Lots of room and storage.

if you buy just for weekend camping,vacations the Airstream should be ok.If you plan to full time or for extended stays it will most likely get old soon.

Precisely why we bought a Lance.
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
We have a '52 Airstream 22' I rebuilt, tows great, wind doesn't affect it much and it's just cool. How many other rigs are that old and still usable?
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
We have a '52 Airstream 22' I rebuilt, tows great, wind doesn't affect it much and it's just cool. How many other rigs are that old and still usable?

I'll sell you a 52 Ford coupe to tow it with, perfect match.
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21

We have a 27T artic Fox with one slide, it is a 4 season trailer. That I tow behind my 2008 Toyota Tundra. Highly recommend both.

I agree with others I would not go to any larger trailer. Only changes I made to the trailer were installing Golf cart 6V batteries and

Installing a waterproof master switch next to the batteries. That model trailer has a small current draw all the time with out the master switch.

I did install load range E tires from load range D tires. Mine were 15" the next year they came with 16" tires. Stating to think about a new one.

A little shorter.
Posted By: memtb Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
Used to be great quality.....not certain now, as they were recently bought out by one of the two huge rv conglomerates.....which are well known for “lack of” quality control and reducing material quality!

Not the greatest in cold weather, from my limited knowledge of them! Though, most people rarely camp in cool weather! memtb
Posted By: hanco Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
They look cool, always wanted one.
Posted By: limofarm Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
Thanks to everyone for your input. We would not be taking any trips longer than 2 weeks, and usually shorter. We’ll check into the Scamps and Casitas. We appreciate all the information that has been shared.
Posted By: 35 Re: Airstream camper - 05/23/21
We just bought a Winnebago 2529RG
It`s 28` 7", a little longer than you`re interested in.
But they have several models in the 19`-20` range.

https://www.winnebago.com/models/product/towables/travel-trailer/micro-minnie-1?floorplans=true
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Riverc

Precisely why we bought a Lance.

OP, you need to give Lance a serious look. They are a cut above most of the contenders. They will cost about half what an Airstream costs, and are every bit as well built. The Lance 2285 has a great layout. In a smaller units the bed is right in the middle of things. On the Lance 2285, it is semi private. Pretty good storage on that unit too. The small slide-out opens it up pretty well.

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/2285/
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
These are in the Airstream price range. Might be better built too. https://www.blackseriescamper.com/travel-trailers/hq21.html
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by weaselsRus

I'll sell you a 52 Ford coupe to tow it with, perfect match.

Tempting!
Posted By: rainshot Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
My son's got a 73 model. We rebuilt the sleep area. It had one large bed and we split it and put one single on each side with a runway down the middle. It was a trip cutting those radius'. They're ok but there are more comfortable campers around.
Posted By: add Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by deflave
Airstreams, Casita’s, and Scamp’s hold value.

If you don’t care about that, buy something else.

First and third (family-connected owned) are flat-out, correct.

Not familiar enough with Casita's to comment.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
I can't answer your question, but looked seriously into buying one for travel around the country.
I asked missionaries on deputation who would travel every week to different towns in America. They gave tips that helped my learning curve.

To put it in a nutshell, whatever brand you go for, new is overpriced and low maintenance. Some have that extra money. No judgement regardless.
As a young preacher I was looking at older models and taking my mechanic friend to inspect the ones I was serious about. It's like flipping houses, but on a smaller scale.

My neighbor spent many hours restoring an old small motorhome that was made by Toyota...at least the drivetrain. I guess it was 3-5 months worth of all his spare time. He too is now one happy camper.
Whatever you choose to get, I hope the same for you and your wife on your new adventure.

HC
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
Airstreams are designed for covering ground..
The majority of the weight is concentrated at frame level. Tows great.
Rounded headspace cuts inside space considerably. Aids in towing.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
For what it is worth, we bought a 2017 Lance 1995 and are very, very happy with it. We slept very comfortably during our late season elk hunt last year. One morning it was 24 F below zero outside but the furnace kept it a comfortable 71 F inside. Excellent quality construction and everything still works well.
Posted By: Robb10238 Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
Looked at the Airstreams but no slide out, rounded corner in the bed and price made us decide against the silver Twinkie. Looked at lots of other brands and like EdM, we settled on a Lance model 2285. Could it be happier than wears with the Lance and they too hold their value well.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
I'm starting to look at these units they are also 4 seasons.

Wishing you the best.
Thanks for the tip on Lance units.
Posted By: memtb Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Wishing you the best.

Be careful with believing the term....“4 Seasons”! Many manufacturers say 4 Seasons, but really don’t have the materials to give good r-values. It is a “catch phrase” used very loosely by many manufacturers! There are some 4-Season units that work really well......provided all 4 seasons are in the Florida Keys! memtb
Posted By: norm99 Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
Thor is a lead manufacturer of RVs thru 10 or 12 manufacturers
Posted By: CanadianLefty Re: Airstream camper - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by limofarm
The wife and I are thinking about a new camper and wondering if airstreams are worth the cost? Looking at something in the 19-20 ft. Range. Airstreams are about 3x times what cheap campers run, are they worth it? Thanks Darrell

Check out Black Series Campers. https://www.blackseriescamper.com/travel-trailers/hq17.html

They are awesome and hold their value. The HQ17 or HQ19 would be perfect for you and your wife and you can take it anywhere, including off-road and through rivers.

The airstream will fall apart in those same conditions.
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Wishing you the best.

Be careful with believing the term....“4 Seasons”! Many manufacturers say 4 Seasons, but really don’t have the materials to give good r-values. It is a “catch phrase” used very loosely by many manufacturers! There are some 4-Season units that work really well......provided all 4 seasons are in the Florida Keys! memtb

Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: limofarm Re: Airstream camper - 05/25/21
There’s a lot choices out there. Finding one with some counter space for the wife will be a part of the deciding factor.lots too think about. Thanks Darrell
Posted By: Riverc Re: Airstream camper - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by limofarm

See you from sw missouri,have you looked at rvs at Coachlight Rv in Carthage? They have a nice rv park also,I worked there 2 winters.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Airstream camper - 05/25/21
Was short on bucks so went Winnebago. Airstreams do a much better job of holding value.

I always want two axles.
Posted By: johnw Re: Airstream camper - 05/25/21
Opinions on the Western Range Camp trailers?

Like this one?
Posted By: memtb Re: Airstream camper - 05/25/21
Without going into specific brands, I’ll say only this, the lighter the unit....the less materials are used! Which should be self-explanitory! Then you start comparing frame sizes/thicknesses, axle ratings and brake sizes, real wood or plastic “sheathing” making it look like wood, if aluminum framing.....is it “spot-welded” at joints or full perimeter welding, ect. Some manufacturers state that their warranty is void if used for “full time” use.....which should give some insight into the manufacturers confidence in their product!! These are but, a very few of things to consider when purchasing.

Last but not least, rv’s generally depreciate very rapidly.....buy used if at all possible. Let the first owner take the big monetary loss! memtb
Posted By: Toddly Re: Airstream camper - 05/25/21
I’ve owned / restored/ sold over 20 airstreams in my life. Nothing past 1971. I kept 2 for my own. Both 1966. A 17’ and a 22’ both single axles. I just really like the little ones and the older ones. Built with an airplane fuselage they were made to be pulled at 100mph. Yes, I tried it. They are a little tight but so cool! I’d recommend trying one if you are even slightly interested.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Airstream camper - 05/25/21
Lance or Northwood (Arctic Fox, Nash, Snow River)
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Airstream camper - 05/25/21

Last but not least, rv’s generally depreciate very rapidly.....buy used if at all possible. Let the first owner take the big monetary loss! memtb

I bought a new travel traler just before COVID hit, so none of the inflated pricing you see these days. I scoured the used market for a long time, and the asking prices I saw didn't reflect substantial depreciation for well maintained used units. Sure, I could have spent a lot of time trying to find an owner willing to back way off the price, but I don't find much joy in that process.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Airstream camper - 05/25/21
Good luck to the OP on finding what works for him.

After looking at RV trailers, I am resolved that I would only buy used or buy a new 7' tall inside tandem axle car hauler and finish the inside bits myself.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Airstream camper - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I bought a new travel traler just before COVID hit, so none of the inflated pricing you see these days. I scoured the used market for a long time, and the asking prices I saw didn't reflect substantial depreciation for well maintained used units. Sure, I could have spent a lot of time trying to find an owner willing to back way off the price, but I don't find much joy in that process.

This is my experience as well.
Posted By: limofarm Re: Airstream camper - 05/26/21
I really like the floor plan of the airstream 20fb.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Airstream camper - 05/26/21
Looked at Airstream but did not like the absense of storage space.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Airstream camper - 05/26/21
As an individual that's about 14 months out from leaving the workforce, I too was in the market for a Travel Trailer. My plan has been, and still is, to spend as much time Off Grid in the Mountains away from people as possible. Just my Dog and I......

Of course, that meant I needed a Toy Hauler design of some sort so that I could take my ATV, and had my family keep their eyes open for me as well. I was getting down to pulling the trigger on a Work and Play model, by Forest River, but the new ones are not built on the same Cargo Trailer base as they used to be, which is what caught my attention in the first place. Tough, rugged exterior, meant to handle the Outdoors. I have used a standard 6'x12' Cargo Trailer for years as a rustic camping trailer in the Mountains while Elk, Mule Deer and Antelope hunting.

My brother found a Toy Hauler for me in a state about 600 miles away, but it appeared to be in good shape, and the owners didn't use it much. It was a 2017 Coachmen Catalina 26TH that they only used 10 times at a local state park. They never even used the Stove, Oven or Furnace! Still smelled new inside, and best part was the price was half that of a new model. Should be just fine for carrying my ATV, and enough supplies for my excursions into the backwoods and byways of America.

I guess the point of my story is that there ARE some good deals out there.....if you take the time to search, and are willing to expand your search area. Additionaly, encourage friends and Family to help with your search and it increases your chances of finding such a deal as well.

Good Luck!
Posted By: DMc Re: Airstream camper - 05/26/21
Had a friend that was always restoring an Airstream. Oddly, he only choose the little ones, 16’ & under. I believe they even have a special name.
Said he made respectable money for a hobby.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Airstream camper - 05/26/21
You may be thinking of the Bambi model, DMc, and they are very collectible.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Airstream camper - 05/26/21
There will come a rainy day that you are setting in a small trailer and you realize your inside a saltine cracker box. At that point you will start looking a a 30' RV with a deep, long slide. Go big, or go home.
Posted By: johnw Re: Airstream camper - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by MM879
There will come a rainy day that you are setting in a small trailer and you realize your inside a saltine cracker box. At that point you will start looking a a 30' RV with a deep, long slide. Go big, or go home.

Or if you've spent significant storm time in a 2 man canvas shelter you might be perfectly happy to have a comfortable dry place to hang out and/or sleep.

Still looking for an informed opinion on the Western Range Camp Trailers
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Airstream camper - 05/26/21
I never owned an Air Stream but I’ve own three Avions. The first two were the silver bullet type. A 28 ft and a 34 ft Tripple axle. You could literally dance on the roofs of these trailers. Solid is really not the word for them.
The third was a fifth wheel Avion with two slides. It had the same problems as most trailers, roof leaks. The best thing about all three was the solid wood floors and cabinets.
The well built trailers you can live in full time. The others you spend all you time tightening screws that came loose in the particle board they are made with.
Replacing A/C’s , fridges, hot water heaters and power converters are just part of the deal. All trailers pretty much use the same ones. Hasbeen
Posted By: 1minute Re: Airstream camper - 05/26/21
Like mentioned above, I have a 26 ft Winnebago trailer. On a cold wet windy day when one decides to remain in camp, I'm most satisfied and comfortable in my 12 x 14 wall tent.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Airstream camper - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by johnw

Or if you've spent significant storm time in a 2 man canvas shelter you might be perfectly happy to have a comfortable dry place to hang out and/or sleep.

Still looking for an informed opinion on the Western Range Camp Trailers

I share your take on this. A Range camp looks good, maybe not aerodynamic.
Posted By: EdM Re: Airstream camper - 05/27/21

No worries here with my little Lance and hard azz wife.
Posted By: pal Re: Airstream camper - 05/27/21
Avoid anything with a slide-out.

Airstreams are worth the extra money for those who want the best. For many years I had a 1958 Airstream 18-footer. Towed it from Baja, California to British Columbia. Now have a 1967 Silver Streak (similar look and construction, built by ex-Airstream people) 24-footer. The quality of these trailers is head and shoulders above the others. The size range you are looking at should be plenty for a couple. The bigger it is, the bigger the tow vehicle necessary.

Mine is like the one pictured.
[Linked Image from silverstreakforsale.files.wordpress.com]
© 24hourcampfire