Home
Posted By: MPat70 Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Just wondering how many old timers on here ever chopped cotton? I chopped cotton in the last 70's on my uncle's farm in southern Arkansas. Being 8 yrs old, it sucked! Found a bucket full of arrowheads though........
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Yes, when I was a kid.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
No, but I hear it's a great way to ditch your old fingerprints and get new ones!!
`late 60s early 70s
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I never picked cotton
But my mother did and my brother did
And my sister did and my daddy died young
Workin' in the coal mine

(Actually it was my grandmother did and her brother did growing up in Arkansas)
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I never picked cotton
Workin' in the coal mine

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Good ole Johnny. He will never be matched.
Momma would rock me in the cradle in the old cotton fields down home!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
No, but a lot of tabacco .
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
We called it hoeing cotton. And yes I hoed many a row in the hot summer sun as a kid.
Posted By: okie Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Yep in the 70's for me too....keep your hoe sharp...
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Still do some these days.

Seems that the guy that farms the home place does a darn good job of staying on top of the weeds.
I never picked cotton
Workin' in the coal mine

picking cotton and chopping cotton are two different things have done both, picked watermelons also.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I never picked cotton
Workin' in the coal mine

picking cotton and chopping cotton are two different things have done both, picked watermelons also.

Yep. What folks call chopping cotton is hoeing the weeds out of the rows of cotton.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I never picked cotton
Workin' in the coal mine

Yep. What folks call chopping cotton is hoeing the weeds out of the rows of cotton.

Chopping cotton and hoeing cotton are two different things. Chopping cotton is done first.... that is when you thin the plants. Hoeing cotton is getting the weeds out. You only chop cotton once, but you usually had to hoe the cotton at least twice and sometimes 3 times. Picked cotton by hand, too.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I did like to run the stripper late at night with a brite moon.

I would turn off the lights and still be able to run the rows with no problems.

Started with a yellow cab 484,then green cab484.

But when the 7445 with a cleaner came out it was fantastic.that machine could run real fast and eat the cotton without problems.

We started around 9 o'clock or so then quit sometimes around 1 or 2 in the morning.
Dont need a stripper when you pick by hand.... grin
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I never picked cotton
Workin' in the coal mine

Chopping cotton and hoeing cotton are two different things. Chopping cotton is done first.... that is when you thin the plants. Hoeing cotton is getting the weeds out. You only chop cotton once, but you usually had to hoe the cotton at least twice and sometimes 3 times. Picked cotton by hand, too.

We never did that in N. Tx dryland Cotton farming. Rainfall was so scarce that we never had to worry about ā€œthinning the plantsā€. But the weeds here grow big with little or no rainfall whatsoever. So we were always hoeing rows of cotton.
Thank God we never had to pick cotton, though. Dad used to tell ya how good we had it, since he had to pick cotton as a kid. šŸ¤ 
I never picked cotton
Workin' in the coal mine

We never did that in N. Tx dryland Cotton farming. Rainfall was so scarce that we never had to worry about ā€œthinning the plantsā€. But the weeds here grow big with little or no rainfall whatsoever. So we were always hoeing rows of cotton.
Thank God we never had to pick cotton, though. Dad used to tell ya how good we had it, since he had to pick cotton as a kid. šŸ¤ 

I wouldn't know about cotton farming in Tx., but in N. La. granddad planted the cotton close so he could make sure he got a good stand. Then when the plants were a couple inches tall we had to thin it or chop the cotton. After that, we had to hoe the cotton, remove the weeds, a couple of times. By then the cotton was tall enough that when he plowed the middles, he'd throw dirt onto the row and cover any grass. I remember one year Granddad planted some cotton that got close to 6' tall. Dont know what kind it was, but he only planted that variety one time. Mostly the cotton was 3'-4' tall.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Both hoed and picked cotton as a kid. Hoed corn for 8 cents a row. Long rows, sometimes with morning glory vines.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Yup. late 60s. Fisher County.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I ran thru a cotton field once and that was a big mistake. Got cotton burrs stuck everywhere.
Originally Posted by Brazos

Fisher County, TX ???

Not too far from the Ranch, as the crow flies.

Iā€™ve ate at the DQ there quiet a bit. Itā€™s one of the good ones. šŸ¤ 
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
yes, and picked tobacco as well. And tossed hay bails.
Did all that during the summer when I was a kid, helping my grandfather, the money I made was used for school clothes.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I never picked cotton
Workin' in the coal mine

Soon as I saw the title I was hoping no one would beat me too it!
He'll no! Don't grow it here.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
No but I bucked a azz load of hay and pitched a lot of manure. They make hay a lot different now than back then.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Wait a minute, I thought only Black people were abused out in the cotton fields...........Or are you guys all Black and just never told me.....

Did all that during the summer when I was a kid, helping my grandfather, the money I made was used for school clothes.

I helped Grandpa harvest cherries every summer but never seen a dime, never minded it though as we always had fun.
Posted By: kingston Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I helped Grandpa harvest cherries every summer but never seen a dime, never minded it though as we always had fun.

This is the spirit that built America!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I haven't but my wife did. She was a cotton hoer. Said when she started feeling sorry for herself she would look over and see her 7 year old brother in the next row. She was 9. And the planter's kids she was working for had their young children out there with them.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
No, not cotton country in Iowa.

I recall seeing a planter ad that said the planter was so accurate costly hand thinning was unnecessary.
Posted By: hanco Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
When them cotton balls get rotten, you canā€™t pick very much cotton!!!
Posted By: ledvm Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by MPat70
Just wondering how many old timers on here ever chopped cotton? I chopped cotton in the last 70's on my uncle's farm in southern Arkansas. Being 8 yrs old, it sucked! Found a bucket full of arrowheads though........

Yessir...I hoed a bit of cotton in the 70s outside Lubbock, TX and in southern OK just north of Wichita Falls, TX.

Reckon I am a member of a dwindling club.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
All I ever did was toss hay bales. All momā€™s side of the family messed with the cotton. And Iā€™m damn glad I didnā€™t have to do any of that.

Dad thrashed peanuts by hand.
Posted By: James270 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Havenā€™t chopped cotton but did do a stint of hoeing or cotton chipping as we call it in Australia. Certainly a character building way to earn a few dollars.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21

No cotton in the Rocky's of N.W. Colorado, but i pulled weeds and hoed in the garden, milked the cows, twice a day before and after school. Rio7
Momā€™s dad had a whole passle of aunts, uncles, and cousins from up around Searcy Arkansas that would come down every year to pick cotton in central Texas. I took momma and her two sisters up to Searcy for a family reunion back in like 2004. Met a cousin that just happened to be born down here during one of those picking seasons.
Posted By: ledvm Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21

Fisher County, TX ???

Rotan, TX

My maternal great grandfathers both farmed near.

One had a dry goods store in town and a lumberyard. HL Davis & Sons
Back in the day (late '50's and early 60's) this is the way farming and school co-existed.

You'd go to school the first day and get registered. Then the farm kids would not attend school for the first six weeks and part of the second six weeks, except for rainy days. You were busy on the farm. Usually when you did get back to school, you couldn't miss another day for the rest of the 1st semester or you would fail. Teachers and principles would usually look the other way, if you did miss some more days, but you had to do all your schoolwork, and it couldn't be too many more days.

In the spring, the month of May didn't exist at school. You were busy on the farm again.

All the city kids complained about school...... All the farm kids thought it was a vacation.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Most of us have it so soft today.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
The only thing I've ever had to do with cotton was to feed the seeds to dairy cattle. Often times wondered where it all came from and what it took to get it loaded on that rail car.
Just about anyone could chop or hoe cotton, but when it came picking time, that's when you separated the 'men from the boys', so to speak. I was just a kid, and only picked a few times, so I never was good at it. I've seen and heard of people picking a bale and more in a day. That's right at 500 lbs. To do that, you had to be in good cotton, have fast hands, and a strong back. The avg. person picked about 350ish lbs in a day.
Posted By: hanco Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I hauled a lot of hay, 10 cents a bail, stacked in the barn. Thatā€™s ten cents split 3 ways. We could make enough to take our girlfriends out on Saturday night.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by hanco
I hauled a lot of hay, 10 cents a bail, stacked in the barn. Thatā€™s ten cents split 3 ways. We could make enough to take our girlfriends out on Saturday night.

I thought I was rich as a 13 year old (1993), 7 cents a bale (my share), hauling for a cousin. His truck, him, and another neighbor kid. Stacking in the hay barn wasn't bad, but stacking in the hayloft was miserable. 1,000-1,200 bails a day was our norm. Hauled some for another guy in town, just him and I, 12 cents a bale. Big time money.
Posted By: WAM Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
No but I wish our forefathers had picked their own damn cottonā€¦.

We did not get paid to toss and stack hay. We were expected to do it. Family.
Originally Posted by WAM
No but I wish our forefathers had picked their own damn cottonā€¦.

The vast majority of mine did!!!
Posted By: milespatton Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Picked cotton, chopped cotton, hoed cotton. Hauled baled hay, put up loose hay with a pitch fork, and mowed and raked hay with a team of mules. miles
Originally Posted by milespatton
Picked cotton, chopped cotton, hoed cotton. Hauled baled hay, put up loose hay with a pitch fork, and mowed and raked hay with a team of mules. miles

Bustinā€™ them clods with his own bar feet! šŸ˜.

That mule, old Rivers, and Miles!

Jokinā€™ with ya dis morninā€™ !
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
If that ain't country....it'll hairlip the Pope.
One of the fun things I did was dehorn dairy cows. Got coved up in blood
Posted By: paulfish308 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
my dad and his siblings chopped, hoed and picked. i knew kids who did. dad told me whatever i chose to make a living, make sure it had nothing to do with cotton. i took him at his word ...
Posted By: hookeye Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I went to Taco Bell and burned some cotton a couple hrs later
Posted By: ERK Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
You guys are all liars. Nobody ever had to pick cotton but black slaves. You white boys just drove around in fancy cars and drank beer. Entitled!
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
No cotton, all tobacco. And that monster garden my mother forced us all to participate in as well.

I dreaded the garden much more when it came to weeds. Mom won't having any slackers in her garden.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I never picked cotton
Workin' in the coal mine

Yep.
All 3.

ETA:
A good friend told me he went to the city and got a good job in a paper mill, wrote home and told his momma about it and asked her to send him his tools.

4 days later a hoe, jug of water and a tote sack arrived at the boarding house for him.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I never picked cotton
Workin' in the coal mine

Is it any different than hoeing onions, or sugar beets, or hoeing corrugations in irrigated silage corn?
One of the fun things I did was dehorn dairy cows. Got coved up in blood

Use to work for a fellow that would buy from 500-1000 calves every fall and put them on rye grass. All of them had to be 'run thru the pens'. That meant shots, dehorn, and bull calves were cut. Usually a 3 man crew and you did this 2-3 days a week, for a month or two. We would swap jobs and dehorning was definitely the worse. Cut the horns and blood would spurt all over you, from head to toe.

Fun..... not so sure about that! smile
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
No but I bucked a azz load of hay and pitched a lot of manure. They make hay a lot different now than back then.

There was no cotton or tobacco where I grew up. But we had corn.
My dad grew up without a corn picker so he had to pick corn by hand. But, about everybody did it that way until after WWII. When we came along and moved to a farm in 1962 we had to hand pick corn from the stocks in the field. We put the ears in a wagon and would run them through the hammer mill or feed the cows and pigs whole corn. The neighbors had a corn picker so dad contracted with them to pick it and we put it in a corn crib. We would fill the wagon from the corn crib and run it through a hammer mill for the cows feed.

I came home from the Army in 1976 and the corn crib, barn, hammer mill and the feed shed were all gone. Dad was going to put up a big loafing shed and buy milled corn from the feed and grain and feed it out in a cattle lot and run the cows in the pasture when it wasn't too dry or too cold. Unfortunately he passed from a heart attack in 1978 and never got the chance.

kwg
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Yes, on my maternal grandfather's farm outside Batesville, Arkansas. Worked hay fields tossing bales in north central Arkansas. Taught me I did not want to be a farmer. grin

L.W.
No, but it's says something about those who did. Chopping just makes more weeds anyway.
Posted By: jlboykin Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I spent most the summers in the 1990ā€™s sand fighting, hoeing and spraying Johnson grass. Roundup ready cotton changed some of that, but a lot of the weeds have developed a resistance and they are back to hoeing again.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by ledvm

Fisher County, TX ???

Rotan, TX

Farm was near McCaulley, "Ranch" about halfway between Rotan and Hamlin.

Still own a piece of the ranch, planning to build a cabin there soon.

Fisher County, TX ???

Rotan, TX

I remember you telling me that in another thread, now.
Our Ranch is not too far north of Hamlin.
Old Glory area.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been covered. I have never really known what "chopping" cotton means. Help please.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I have a little. My dad made me do it and also pick a little cotton in Roswell New Mexico. He did it just to show me and my younger brother what it was like. What I did chop a lot off was a 10 acre irrigated patch of Chiles we had the last year (1974) we lived there.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been covered. I have never really known what "chopping" cotton means. Help please.

Weeding the cotton with a hoe.
Originally Posted by ERK
You guys are all liars. Nobody ever had to pick cotton but black slaves. You white boys just drove around in fancy cars and drank beer. Entitled!

One of my Dad's favorite sayings is: "I was picking cotton with the rest of the Naggers"
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Thanks.
Sounds a lot like "walking beans" up here - for us it was mostly pulling weeds, but sometimes we used hoes, hooks, or corn knives. (Still have the scar on my left index finger from careless use of the last.)
Posted By: Morewood Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
When I was a little bitty baby.
Originally Posted by ERK

One of my Dad's favorite sayings is: "I was picking cotton with the rest of the Naggers"

LOL

Thanks.
Sounds a lot like "walking beans" up here - for us it was mostly pulling weeds, but sometimes we used hoes, hooks, or corn knives. (Still have the scar on my left index finger from careless use of the last.)

No.....

Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
If you want to see some true Civil Engineering work, drive up Hwy 70 from Sweetwater to Snyder right at cotton planting time and see how those farmers have cultivated the hills.

Dirt art.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Lots of kin out there. Rule to Rochester. Iā€™ve played a lot of dances and parties at Sons of Hermann in Old Glory.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
I walked beansā€”picked rocksā€”blocked beets and detasseled corn. Scraped my share of scalded hogs also.
When I came to Canada spent some time planting black Spruceā€”overhauling whitefish nets and filleting perch.
Skinned and processed 150 to 160 moose most yearsā€”with not a lot of help. My wife would wrap sometimes.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21

To restate what was said earlier: Chopping cotton is done the first time you are in the field. There was a continuous row of cotton and you needed only 2 to 3 plants every 6 inches or so. (about the width of a hoe). So, you would chop out the excess plants and any weeds that were there. Pull dirt up around the stems to make them stand tall. When you were not doing it for family, pay was 50 cents an hour. A days work would buy a nice shirt for school. Only way we had to pay for clothes when I grew up.

After chopping cotton, you might hoe it another 2 or 3 times before it was laid by (plowed with dirt thrown up around the bottom stems) until harvest. We would on average, wear out a hoe each per year. It would be sharpened before starting in the morning and again at lunch. Sharpening was my job too. Guess I got pretty good at it. Had a community garden in Atlanta in my 20's and the city folks would come just to watch me hoe. They could not do anything with a hoe and I never had to bend down to remove weeds, etc....

In the fall, school would close for a 6 week, "cotton picking vacation". Yeah, some vacation. Saw a LOT of cotton hand picked but 200 pounds per day was considered excellent. Most folks did 150 or so. Picked in either a 6 foot or 7 1/2 foot bag. 7 1/2 foot bag, packed full would weigh around 40 to 50 pounds. Took 800 or so pounds to make a bale. Pay was 2 to 3 cents per pound. I got paid a little extra for weighing everyone's cotton and then taking it to the gin. When the bolls got rotten (as stated in the song) it was very difficult to pick. BUT, you could pull the bolls, with the cotton still inside. Not preferred, as the farmer got paid less but allowed you to harvest it later in the season. Weights here would be higher but it was the devil on your hands, even with gloves.

So yeah. I have chopped cotton. Taught me the value of hard work. It also taught me that I never wanted to be a farmer.

Thanks.

No.....

I stand corrected, just shows you how much I did. We had to do the same thinning with chile peppers also. I remember trying to get the roots from Johnson grass was tough. The roots were like cancer.
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Lots of kin out there. Rule to Rochester. Iā€™ve played a lot of dances and parties at Sons of Hermann in Old Glory.

Not much left of Old Glory and Sagerton. At least Rule has a Convenience Store. šŸ¤ 
I also irrigated cotton, alfalfa and chile peppers. The cotton and chile peppers required a bent metal pipe to siphon the water from the irrigation ditch to the row. The alfalfa you used a tarp or big metal stop like a giant fat cleaver to stop the water and dig a opening to allow the water to flood the field. you stared on the high side and worked you way lower increments.

Posted By: GeoW Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
Hoed cotton and picked backer early on.

Lesson learned!
I never picked cotton
Workin' in the coal mine

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Good ole Johnny. He will never be matched.
Momma would rock me in the cradle in the old cotton fields down home!

Roy Clark went by Johnny?
Posted By: deflave Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/25/21
My parents were not schit kicking hillbillies.

I hope this answers the question.
I grew up on a cotton farm, chopped a lot of it until the advent of Treflan. We'd chop all summer long. I bet I can still get a hoe razor-sharp with a mill-bastard file.

Only cotton I ever picked or pulled (there's a difference) was as a little kid playing in the fields; mechanical cotton strippers came in just in time to save me from that joy. Older sisters and everyone else in the family pulled a lot. Heck, I bet Grandma and Grandpa had dad dragging a sack by the time he was 5.

But I've forked a bunch back in the trailers so more would fit in and I've worked in gins before they became automated.
Posted By: ledvm Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/26/21

Not much left of Old Glory and Sagerton. At least Rule has a Convenience Store. šŸ¤ 

My Mom grew up in Stamford and I believe she told me once that Rick Perry was from Old Glory. She knew the family.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/26/21

Mom was from Taylor.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

We did not get paid to toss and stack hay. We were expected to do it. Family.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^
When in college, I graduated to room, board, a tank of gas for m pickup, and $40 a week.
I've never been as wealthy since!
Posted By: milespatton Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by milespatton

Bustinā€™ them clods with his own bar feet! šŸ˜.

That mule, old Rivers, and Miles!

Jokinā€™ with ya dis morninā€™ !

Only difference was that I was not bare footed. miles
Posted By: okie Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/26/21

Yessir...I hoed a bit of cotton in the 70s outside Lubbock, TX and in southern OK just north of Wichita Falls, TX.

Devol or Randelett ?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/26/21

My Mom grew up in Stamford and I believe she told me once that Rick Perry was from Old Glory. She knew the family.

Gov Perry was born in Haskell and raised in Paint Creek.
Thatā€™s about 25 miles east of Old Glory. My Mom new his parents pretty well.

Mom was from Taylor.

Thatā€™s over by Austin. Nearly 200 miles south of here.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/26/21
all my cousins on my mom's side of the family back then were migrant farmworkers. Pretty much all my cousins are successful people now Drs, nurses and stuff, that hard farm work made them want to do better. I only went and helped once in a while.
There was a local diner in the Haskell area started by a farmerā€™s kid that hated to hoe cotton.

He named it ā€œThe Hatohoeā€

Pretty successful local food chain. He had 4 or 5 of them at one time. Sadly, theyā€™re all gone now. It had damn good steak fingers and chocolate malts when we were kids.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/27/21

Mom was from Taylor.

Taylor is just north of me. LOTā€™s of cotton there. Black land prairie. Matter of fact, momā€™s parents were from just north fo Taylor. Mamaw was from out between Davilla and Bartlett. And Jim (as my granddad was known) was from east of Granger. Right damn Middle of the cotton patch.
Posted By: ledvm Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/27/21
Originally Posted by okie

Devol or Randelett ?

Randelett.
Posted By: ledvm Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/27/21

Yes sir! Paint Creek was what I was thinking of...not Old Glory. šŸ‘šŸ»

Your Mom might know mine as she acquainted with them as well. Her (my Mom) parents owned Hinds Clothing in Stamford where she was raised.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/27/21
Only asparagus for bit on Victoria Island, Sacramento Delta.
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed, youā€™ll be shocked to know there are a bunch of Italian folks over in Robertson/Brazos County in the bottom land that are all cotton farmers. Around the little town of Mumford.

Yeah believe they arrived around 1900 or so.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/27/21
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed, youā€™ll be shocked to know there are a bunch of Italian folks over in Robertson/Brazos County in the bottom land that are all cotton farmers. Around the little town of Mumford.

Yep. I knew some old Italian folks in Bryan / College Station when I was going to TAMU. Mowed their yard. They said their families were early settlers their. Cotton farmers too.

Yes sir! Paint Creek was what I was thinking of...not Old Glory. šŸ‘šŸ»

Your Mom might know mine as she acquainted with them as well. Her (my Mom) parents owned Hinds Clothing in Stamford where she was raised.

Probably. Mom, Dad and Grandparents are all gone now.
Originally Posted by EdM

Yep. I knew some old Italian folks in Bryan / College Station when I was going to TAMU. Mowed their yard. They said their families were early settlers their. Cotton farmers too.

Neal, they were all brought to Texas to farm by an Englishman names Mumford. He had speculated and bought a whole bunch of the bottom land. The town is named after him.
Ok! Any of your old cotton farmers know what this is?????

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Ruger4Life Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/27/21
Chopped by coons
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/27/21

Fisher County, TX ???

Rotan, TX

I grew up in Haskell. I think my dad used to ref 6 man football games in McCaulley. I know i went to 6 man games in Guthrie, Oā€™brien, and Wienert mostly.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/27/21

Ha, the liquor store in Sagerton would sell to us kids. Closed now too.

Weight from a cotton scale ???
Originally Posted by BRISTECD

Ha, the liquor store in Sagerton would sell to us kids. Closed now too.

Yep. Gone quite a while now.

No Neal. That is the old style clamp used on the bale of the cotton bale. That one came of the paddlewheeler Westfield. The Navy bought the Westfield from the Vanderbilts to haul confiscated cotton off of captured confederate blockade runners.
It was run aground on a sand bar new years 1863 in Galveston bay during the battle of Galveston. And it was blown up to keep it from falling into Confederate hands. Only problem was it exploded waaaaaay too early and took most of the crew with it.

They found 1000ā€™s of these clamps in the remains that werenā€™t destroyed when Tex Historical commission and Tx A&M were doing the archaeological excavation of the wreck back about 2010 or so. Nobody knew what they were. Archaeologist started sending pics to all his pards. Son and his boss ended up with a pic. Son sent me one to ask if I knew what it was. Hell I didnā€™t know?? Fast forward. His boss went up to Lubbock to see his dad in nursing home. Beginning of dementia. In conversation he asked his dad if he had ever seen anything like this, and showed him pic. Without hesitation his dad said "itā€™s an old style cotton bale clamp!ā€ Sho nuff, thats what it was. Old man spent many a day around cotton gins in the panhandle!!! Was a great story!!!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/27/21
Quit chopping cotton when they got the planter rates figured out. whistle

Made a huge difference in seed cost.
In case anyone is interested in the Westfield. Texas A&M was able to salvage the 9ā€ Dahlgren gun!

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/westfield

No Neal. That is the old style clamp used on the bale of the cotton bale. That one came of the paddlewheeler Westfield. The Navy bought the Westfield from the Vanderbilts to haul confiscated cotton off of captured confederate blockade runners.
It was run aground on a sand bar new years 1863 in Galveston bay during the battle of Galveston. And it was blown up to keep it from falling into Confederate hands. Only problem was it exploded waaaaaay too early and took most of the crew with it.

They found 1000ā€™s of these clamps in the remains that werenā€™t destroyed when Tex Historical commission and Tx A&M were doing the archaeological excavation of the wreck back about 2010 or so. Nobody knew what they were. Archaeologist started sending pics to all his pards. Son and his boss ended up with a pic. Son sent me one to ask if I knew what it was. Hell I didnā€™t know?? Fast forward. His boss went up to Lubbock to see his dad in nursing home. Beginning of dementia. In conversation he asked his dad if he had ever seen anything like this, and showed him pic. Without hesitation his dad said "itā€™s an old style cotton bale clamp!ā€ Sho nuff, thats what it was. Old man spent many a day around cotton gins in the panhandle!!! Was a great story!!!

Great history lesson Bob ! Iā€™d have never guessed thatā€™s what it was.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Ever chopped cotton? - 05/27/21
What I thought when I saw it. Not about the boat but the cotton bale. Looks like heavier metal than what was used when I was a kid. miles
© 24hourcampfire