Home
Posted By: 338Rem EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Looking for input on an EDC knife for my cousin. She has CC and carries daily, wanting to get her something for her birthday. Thanks
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Kinda depends on how she dresses. Many ladies jeans/pants have tiny pockets.

Bought my Wife a Benchmade auto.

She had read a news story about a Woman who was thrown in a car trunk, that escaped by cutting her way through the back seat.

So, she decided she needed to have a backup knife to go with her CHL Handgun.

Virgil B.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Wife was with the kids at the mall the other day, bought them some cinnamon sugar pretzel bite things at one of the kiosks in the middle of the aisle, served in a cup. She dumps half of them into an empty cup, but realizes they're hard to grab in the bottom with excess cup sticking up in the way. Reaches in her purse, grabs some spring assisted Kershaw I'd picked up for cheap (not a small one either), and proceeds to one hand flick open it up to cut the top of the cups off. Some 14 year old kids standing next in line evidently aren't used to seeing a 40 year old woman whipping out a knife and springing it in to action, she said their eyes got as big as saucers as they stepped back..
Posted By: MOGC Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Benchmade Bugout! Perfect multi purpose drop point blade that should meet most legal length requirements at 3.25". It is S30V so it holds an edge well and isn't hard to touch up. The Axis lock is easy to manipulate and strong. It's slim and very lightweight. Even with the plastic handle it is surprisingly tough. If you don't like poly handles get a G10 or alloy handle version.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
get her one of these also, my daughter has one and it did a job on her ex when he attacked her.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=my+kitty+self+defense+keychain
Posted By: stxhunter Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
https://www.thehomesecuritysupersto...lastic-self-defense-keychain-weapon-pink
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Ontario Rat 7.
Posted By: trplem Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Both my sister and odd sister carry dozier design D-2 Ka-bars every day. Both paid zero dollars for them, as I'm happy to give the "cool" people in my life a good sharp.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Bought my Wife a Benchmade auto.

She had read a news story about a Woman who was thrown in a car trunk, that escaped by cutting her way through the back seat.

So, she decided she needed to have a backup knife to go with her CHL Handgun.

Virgil B.

Went to their website just to see what a Benchmade auto was. You just cost me $344.50.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Wife was with the kids at the mall the other day, bought them some cinnamon sugar pretzel bite things at one of the kiosks in the middle of the aisle, served in a cup. She dumps half of them into an empty cup, but realizes they're hard to grab in the bottom with excess cup sticking up in the way. Reaches in her purse, grabs some spring assisted Kershaw I'd picked up for cheap (not a small one either), and proceeds to one hand flick open it up to cut the top of the cups off. Some 14 year old kids standing next in line evidently aren't used to seeing a 40 year old woman whipping out a knife and springing it in to action, she said their eyes got as big as saucers as they stepped back..

That's funny.
I've noticed that knives are tools that are not socially acceptable in today's genteel culture..
Masculine dads in the same house are getting rarer.
Schools forbid what we boys used to carry daily.

It's good to hear of a woman with the right tool for the occasion. Children need to see that more often.
Rem338 & Guys,

I prefer folders for the size and ease of concealment, but don't rule out fixed blades. If the sheath is secured in a good location, there's nothing quicker into action.
If the woman is fortunate enough to see danger approach, a hand can be on the grip ready to draw without attracting undue attention.

On the other hand, if its her first knife and she's a girlie girl, she would probably find one of the multicolored titanium plated folders from Kershaw, etc. attractive.
Once the lady develops a habit of carrying, she might be more likely to upgrade to a defensive weapon later on.
How's she gonna carry it?
Posted By: aboltfan Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
I bought my wife and three daughters the Kershaw Scallion.

https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/scallion-knives.html
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
OTF blades are awesome too. A small Viper-tec.
Originally Posted by aboltfan

That's one of the Kershaw's that I was thinking about in a previous post.
It used to be available in a multi colored TiN finish, but these look good too.
I plan to open my school back up when able.
One thing that I teach is blade fighting.
Women and uninitiated men won't carry fighting knives in my experience. .They should start out with a light and handy daily user until they become accustomed to the tool. Training is even more important.
Better a scallion in hand when needed than a Hobbit Warrior at home. 😉

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1024145/
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by aboltfan

Nice little knife. I have one. Should be just the ticket for smaller hands.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
My other half carries this in her purse along with a S&W Shield.

She still flies some for work, I'm sure if I didn't remind her she'd probably be in jail.

https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=+oso+sweet
Posted By: JeffyD Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
I'm thinking that an ESEE Izula would work for a fixed blade. Simple and uncomplicated to use, durable and compact. And they can be had in an array of colors.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
I bought a combo package that included a Kershaw Leek and Scallion. I was checking it out at the kitchen table when my middle daughter saw the Scallion and wanted to check it out. Next thing I know it's clipped down in her bra and she's asking me can she have it. What's a dad to do but say sure. So the other three females had to have one, they've worked very well.

They all have CCPs and knives. I pray they never have to use them for violence, but feel comfortable that they go armed.
Posted By: rainshot Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
CKRT THERO is what I carry. I'd probably give that.
Posted By: kolofardos Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Ontario Rat 7.

LOL, maybe if she's a big, hefty girl. I carry a RAT 1 all the time, but now I'm eyeing a RAT 2 with the D2 steel.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
RAT 2
Posted By: lvmiker Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Shiv works Clinch Pick, the have a pkg. that includes a trainer version. The same guy [Craig Douglas] offers great training and has great vids on his site Shivworks.com.

mike r
Posted By: 338Rem Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Thanks for all the replies/. She is a smaller woman, probably 90 Lbs. She owns a small manufacturing company and Conceal carries daily. Probably something for her purse .
Posted By: local_dirt Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Ontario Rat 7.

LOL, maybe if she's a big, hefty girl. I carry a RAT 1 all the time, but now I'm eyeing a RAT 2 with the D2 steel.

I have 2 RAT 1's and a RAT 2, all in D2. I'm finding the RAT 2 a little on the small side for EDC for a man my size. Might be perfect for a lady.
Posted By: kolofardos Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/26/21
Now I'm not so sure about the RAT 2. How much smaller is the handle? I've got medium sized hands and the RAT 1 fits them well, but it's a bit big in my pocket.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/27/21
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Now I'm not so sure about the RAT 2. How much smaller is the handle? I've got medium sized hands and the RAT 1 fits them well, but it's a bit big in my pocket.

kolofardos, the RAT 2 in D2 is a great knife. Just a little small for my hands and taste in EDC.

Check this thread for pics and more info.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15416553/1
Posted By: K1500 Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/27/21
Spyderco Delica. It is a great size to fit in most pockets, comes in a good steel, is light, and comes in a variety of colors.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/27/21
Aboltfan, you married one and raised 3 real women. Congrats to you, not everyone can do that these days. Mb
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/27/21
Mrs OMC has a Buck lightweight 110 with black handle scales and a black pocket clip that I put on for her, clipped to her right boot top, inside (she's a lefty) nobodies noticed yet and that clip keeps it in place. It's a simple lock system that's intuitive to folks that grew up in the "Buck knife" era.
When it's out of boot season, I think she stashes a SAK and some sort of survival card thingy in her purse. And her .380...
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/27/21
Spyderco Delica or a Benchmade Mini Grip. You cannot go wrong with either
Posted By: Dude270 Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/27/21
My wife has been through all my knives and her pick was a benchmade mini bugout.

She didn't like the liner lock folders because of her hand being where the blade folds to close it. She greatly prefers the axis lock on the benchmade.

I think stuff like a liner lock we take for granted as constant knife fiddlers but folks who only occasionally use them feel better keeping your fingers out of the way.

She also keeps a victorinox classic on her keyring that she uses all the time
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/27/21
I don't see any mention of price. Bucks are hard to beat on either end of the price scale. On the lower end, take a look at this 2-fer that they offer, a 363 and a 365. The 363 is a small pocket sized knife for general use, not defense. The 365 is larger and more versatile. Their packaging isn't exactly presentation quality, though. On Ebay.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Posted By: VinceM Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/27/21
Hand made fixed blade
Posted By: 338Rem Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/30/21
Thanks for all the input. I have month to decide. on which one.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/30/21
Boker Urban Trapper - either full-size or small.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: EDC knife for a lady - 05/30/21
kershaw blackout
© 24hourcampfire