Home
Posted By: scottprice Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 05/29/21
I’m going to be applying for an Iowa Muzzleloader license and I have some questions relating to public land opportunity. Out of respect for the locals I do not want to ask direct questions on a public forum, but if you’re willing to help me out about some questions about the eastern half of the state, I’d be grateful. Please shoot me a message
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 05/30/21
No deers left in Iowa.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 05/30/21
Originally Posted by muleshoe
No deers left in Iowa.

laugh
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 05/30/21
Late season muzzle, on public land.......you’ll get frustrated and cold.

Cross country skiing, coyote hunters, rabbit hunters (not so much these days).......all after 2 intense gun seasons.

Pay some grouchy old farmer to hunt his place. Pay him to miss picking a few rows of corn.

You’ll feel like Bill Jordan.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 05/30/21
There was at least one, a couple years back.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Dont overlook the northeast part of the state.
Posted By: blanket Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 05/31/21
still doable in southeast Iowa. Be ready to be cold
Posted By: blanket Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 05/31/21
PM me if you want to talk about areas. They will be in the lower eastern area of Iowa.
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/03/21
Yea......and please post the pics of your trophy buck from late season muzzle.........on public land.

SE Iowa.

Tags are rather expensive........don't be that guy!
Posted By: scottprice Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Yea......and please post the pics of your trophy buck from late season muzzle.........on public land.

SE Iowa.

What does that even mean
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by scottprice

SE Iowa.

What does that even mean

Public land. There will be no deer left for the late season muzzle loader. Do like Mike said, pay some farmer to hunt his land. There are lots of farmers out there who will want to eliminate the deer so they will have corn and beans to harvest in the fall. Throw in the professional land buyers and then lease the hunting rights to professional guides and now you are locked out. Too much ground now belongs to too few people and you get shut out.

kwg
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/03/21
I would offer my properties.....but a Michigan hunter and his son are coming for late muzzle.....and I offered him the whole season. He has pref pts.

We also have bowhunters coming from Georgia in November.

No one for muzzle, next year.

If you have any preference points........you could always try for a bow tag. Public land can be decent first two weeks in November. Bucks range out then.

A few of our bowhunters demanded to come out during gun season.......after seeing the rut activity, early November. Seeing bucks then is obviously different than December or January. It was usually a disappointment for them, during the gun season. November is wild.

The rut can be pretty intense, with good buck/doe ratios. Even without the gun seasons pressure.....they hug cover and are much less mobile by early December. Always exceptions, but they are pretty worn out.

Deep snow and cold can get things moving, early January. Competition for the food sources can move them in daylight.......if they are in the area (disadvantage on public).

Bowhunting in early November is best.....if public land is the only option.

SE Iowa is zone 6.

Public:
Big Hollow
Shimek forest
Public hunting land down by Sullivan Slough and Spring Lake.
A few others close.

My worthless 2 cents.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/04/21
You can buy over the counter in SW Wis. and there is public land all over. I dont think it is as good as Iowa but for $175 bucks for a tag it is more practical. Northern Missouri is an OTC state too.
Posted By: scottprice Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/05/21
Originally Posted by ihookem
You can buy over the counter in SW Wis. and there is public land all over. I dont think it is as good as Iowa but for $175 bucks for a tag it is more practical. Northern Missouri is an OTC state too.

That’s great info there
Posted By: scottprice Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/05/21

SE Iowa is zone 6.

Public:
Big Hollow
Shimek forest
A few others close.

My worthless 2 cents.

I was considering avoiding 5 and 6 just because it seems like it’s in the spotlight... thoughts?
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/05/21
There are monster bucks in 5 and 6. You just have to find a friendly farmer to let you on his property. There are not many left. You may have to look for a guide who has access to those zones. If you want public ground I would suggest you look in Van Buren county and any county on either side. There are some hidden parks and public hunting in the southern portion of Iowa. The whole area is somewhat old school. It's my under standing that there are NO traffic lights in Van Buren county if that tells you anything about the area. Less that 20 miles away is the town of Cantril. They have a general store run by the Mennonites. It's the closest thing to a Sam's club in the area.

Give a call to Troublesome Creek Outfitters in Keosauqua and ask them about public hunting or guides that would work with you. Just agree to stop in and buy some ammo or pick up some fishing supplies. He is old school and does not have email or the internet. 319 293 3848. He has some black powder stuff if you bring a muzzle loader. Just next door is a little restaurant that makes the best damn malted milks you ever had and are open for breakfast at 6:00 a.m. There is a county park and a State park just outside of town if you have a camper. https://villagesofvanburen.com/directory.html?item=1438

I see you are from Pennsylvania. The area is similar to some of the remote areas of Pennsylvania and it is one of the oldest settlement areas in the State of Iowa. The river towns along the Des Moines river really show their age and there are limited locations for long stays. Fairfield is 35 miles away and has hotels. Otherwise you can go to Burlington another 35 miles away for hotels.

kwg
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/05/21
Don't tell the Cantril meat prices.......there won't be any left next time we go there.

Originally Posted by kwg020
There are monster bucks in 5 and 6. You just have to find a friendly farmer to let you on his property. There are not many left. You may have to look for a guide who has access to those zones. If you want public ground I would suggest you look in Van Buren county and any county on either side. There are some hidden parks and public hunting in the southern portion of Iowa. The whole area is somewhat old school. It's my under standing that there are NO traffic lights in Van Buren county if that tells you anything about the area. Less that 20 miles away is the town of Cantril. They have a general store run by the Mennonites. It's the closest thing to a Sam's club in the area.

Give a call to Troublesome Creek Outfitters in Keosauqua and ask them about public hunting or guides that would work with you. Just agree to stop in and buy some ammo or pick up some fishing supplies. He is old school and does not have email or the internet. 319 293 3848. He has some black powder stuff if you bring a muzzle loader. Just next door is a little restaurant that makes the best damn malted milks you ever had and are open for breakfast at 6:00 a.m. There is a county park and a State park just outside of town if you have a camper. https://villagesofvanburen.com/directory.html?item=1438

I see you are from Pennsylvania. The area is similar to some of the remote areas of Pennsylvania and it is one of the oldest settlement areas in the State of Iowa. The river towns along the Des Moines river really show their age and there are limited locations for long stays. Fairfield is 35 miles away and has hotels. Otherwise you can go to Burlington another 35 miles away for hotels.

kwg
Good recommendations.

Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/05/21
Good recommendations.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's bigger than that elk you've posted, GRIZZ.

Or, was that fester? Can't keep you left-coast great-white hunters apart.

Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Good recommendations.

Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/05/21
Yes that was a small Bull it only net 350...
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/06/21
No need to get flustered and defensive.

You're special.......just like fester.

Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 06/06/21
No need to get flustered and defensive.

You're special.......just like fester.

Nope... That's your area of expertise prick. Laffin

Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Iowa muzzleloader hunt - 07/19/21
What did you decide?

Michigan hunter did not draw tags.

If you want to get a left-over doe tag (for 2nd season gun) …..July 31, 6am…….send a PM.

Party hunting is still legal in Iowa. 2 of 5 sons get landowner tags…….me too.

9 days……second gun season.

If you want to check Iowa out…..get a doe tag…….we’ll gig you next year.

grin

Originally Posted by scottprice

SE Iowa is zone 6.

Public:
Big Hollow
Shimek forest
A few others close.

My worthless 2 cents.

I was considering avoiding 5 and 6 just because it seems like it’s in the spotlight... thoughts?

© 24hourcampfire