Home
Posted By: 5sdad Indy 500 - 05/30/21
I have a couple of tire-related questions. First, was I watching an actual race broadcast, or was it a promotional video for Firestone? Then, tire wear always seems to be a topic of concern. Given that, how much optimal tire life do the drivers leave on pit row each time they exit?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Indy 500 - 05/30/21
Can’t answer your questions. But went t the race once, I believe in 1978. Sat between fourth turn and finish line. Man was that noisy. Had a great time.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Indy 500 - 05/30/21
Fantastic race; congrats to 46 year old Hello for winning after being booted by Penske.
That was REAL auto racing
Posted By: RufusG Re: Indy 500 - 05/30/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Given that, how much optimal tire life do the drivers leave on pit row each time they exit?

Apparently very little as that may have been the first Indy 500 ever without someone spinning and hitting the wall.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Indy 500 - 05/30/21
They all spun in the pits.
They all spun in the pits.

Seemed to be a rash of (reported) brake failures in the pit lane. They have an issue as corner speeds go up, and they have a 60 mph limit in the pits, and not much distance to slow down.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Indy 500 - 05/30/21
I loved to see the raw emotion of Helio Castroneves.
So nice to see humilty instead of rude arrogance .
I really enjoyed seeing this.

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Indy 500 - 05/30/21
Very happy for Helio.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Indy 500 - 05/30/21
I thought it was a good race, but what made it great, not a dam word about it being a super spreader or any other stupid s-it.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Indy 500 - 05/30/21
Congrats, Helio.... Ya dun good.
Posted By: CraigD Re: Indy 500 - 05/30/21
Joined the 4 time winners club - way cool...
Reviewing the timing and scoring afterwards, it appears that Simona De Silvestro missed the last 31 laps after "contact". Did I completely miss that somehow or did they conveniently omit that from the broadcast?
Great race; GREAT winner. Helio is one of the most genuinely nice people in sports.
Sports needed a moment like this; especially on Memorial Day Weekend.
Originally Posted by RufusG
Reviewing the timing and scoring afterwards, it appears that Simona De Silvestro missed the last 31 laps after "contact". Did I completely miss that somehow or did they conveniently omit that from the broadcast?

She had a pit road brake failure incident; there was a rash of that today.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Indy 500 - 05/30/21
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Great race; GREAT winner. Helio is one of the most genuinely nice people in sports.
Sports needed a moment like this; especially on Memorial Day Weekend.

I couldn't agree more...👍
Posted By: Bald1 Re: Indy 500 - 05/31/21
Loved his comment about oldsters showing youngins how it's done citing Brady, Mickelson, and of course himself.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Indy 500 - 05/31/21
Originally Posted by Bald1
Loved his comment about oldsters showing youngins how it's done citing Brady, Mickelson, and of course himself.

“I don’t know if this is a good comparison or not, but Tom Brady won the Superbowl, Phil Mickelson won the Masters, and now here you go. So the older guys still get it, still kicking the young guys’ butt. We teach them a lesson.”
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Indy 500 - 05/31/21
the celebration after words was about the best part of the whole race.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Indy 500 - 05/31/21
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by RufusG

She had a pit road brake failure incident; there was a rash of that today.

Thanks, I missed that, yes, I noted the same above, they may need to consider moving the pit entrance.

It was really an unusual race, the field was so closely matched. The cars that lost laps were almost all from penalties, pit issues, bad strategy, etc. I'm not sure anyone was a lap or more down only on speed, and considering there were only two yellows that's pretty incredible.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Indy 500 - 05/31/21
After watching Indy, the Nascar race looked like they were driving golf carts.
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: Indy 500 - 05/31/21
Tough break for Graham Rahal, I think he had the car to beat.
Posted By: gahuntertom Re: Indy 500 - 05/31/21
In the 60's & 7's , the uncle I am named for was the Firestone Racing distributor. Although I couldn't go into the pits until I was I worked most weekends in May at the Firestone truck mounting tires. Back then the drivers were almost all americans and tough as nailes. When the rear engine cars took over, my uncle & his partner bought Brabham chassis and used mostly Ford engines to enter Lloyd Ruby. They never won but had lots of fun.

I tried to get interested in yesterdays race but just could not get use to purposely not leading, AJ Foyt would beat you to death for suggesting that. Computers have ruined champ car racing.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Indy 500 - 05/31/21
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
In the 60's & 7's , the uncle I am named for was the Firestone Racing distributor. Although I couldn't go into the pits until I was I worked most weekends in May at the Firestone truck mounting tires. Back then the drivers were almost all americans and tough as nailes. When the rear engine cars took over, my uncle & his partner bought Brabham chassis and used mostly Ford engines to enter Lloyd Ruby. They never won but had lots of fun.

I tried to get interested in yesterdays race but just could not get use to purposely not leading, AJ Foyt would beat you to death for suggesting that. Computers have ruined champ car racing.

I used to root for Lloyd Ruby. To me, the mid-60s were the best years of Indy.
Posted By: gahuntertom Re: Indy 500 - 05/31/21
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

I used to root for Lloyd Ruby. To me, the mid-60s were the best years of Indy.

LLoyd just had bad luck. My favorite was Jim Hertebes & his might Novi
© 24hourcampfire