Home
Posted By: Tarkio F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21
Got a call from one of my guys yesterday. Truck was running horribly. Sounded like it might be in limp mode.

Got it to the shop and the mechanic says it looks like we lost the turbo.

This is a 2013 Ford diesel truck. Mechanic said turbos are an issue with these.

Anyone else have this problem?

What's the best route to go for a replacement? OEM are backordered right now for up to a month. Re-manned are available. Or maybe there is a non-oem replacement that works better.

Anyone have experience here and suggestions?
Posted By: BobBrown Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21
I think OEM is your best bet assuming truck is stock and not modified.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Fully stock.
OEM is a month out on back-order though.
Posted By: 264mag Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21
Go oem, but you need to get a '15 or newer turbo. Pre 15 had a ceramic turbo bearing that never was any good.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Fully stock.
OEM is a month out on back-order though.

I’d be thankful it’s only a month .
Posted By: stxhunter Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21
check the hoses for the intercooler if one, usually the bottom, comes loose it will do that.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21
What Roger said.
Posted By: RickBin Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
check the hoses for the intercooler if one, usually the bottom, comes loose it will do that.

Happened to me on my Duramax.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21

What's the best route to go for a replacement? OEM are backordered right now for up to a month. Re-manned are available.

EVERY FORD OWNER HAS THAT PROBLEM.
Like Roger said, check your CAC hoses first. If good, get a reman.
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21
OEM 2015 or newer as stated above. Replace the cool side intercooler pipe while they’re doing the work. Known problem on those trucks. Plastic gets brittle and blows when you have something to do like drive the remaining 700 miles home from a hunting trip. Ask me how I know.....
A reman’ed turbo can still be OEM
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21
Check with KC Turbos and see if they can hook you up.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/02/21
Family owned small town business

http://www.blaylock-turbo.com/contact.asp
Posted By: Deans Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
If the hoses check to be ok go with the dealer reman if in stock.. Usually little cheaper than new. May have a 12 month/miles or hour warranty if they install it. You install the warranty may just be 90 days.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
Fire Department has a 2011 Ford F550. About 30,000 miles. Been through five turbos. Currently needs another turbo and #2 cylinder has low compression. Quoted $20,000.00 to replace the engine. Expect it would actually be closer to $25,000.00. Have to remove the cab or come in through the front end. Personally I am a little skeptical about Ford's better idea. Truck is parked right now.
Posted By: strikeu Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
I had a 6.7L (2012) F-450. it was either gonna be the turbo or the CP4 that crapped the bed. I got rid of that thing after the 3rd attorney called me wanting to represent me in a class action against Ford for for both.

Horror stories abound about the CP4, and the turbo while a cheaper fix than the CP4, neither was something I wanted to deal with. I Highly recommend ditching that 6.7 Powerstroke, and going back to the 7.3 (if you are married to ford) or getting a Cummins 6.7 and fully deleting it. MHO.
Posted By: strikeu Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by 45_100
Fire Department has a 2011 Ford F550. About 30,000 miles. Been through five turbos. Currently needs another turbo and #2 cylinder has low compression. Quoted $20,000.00 to replace the engine. Expect it would actually be closer to $25,000.00. Have to remove the cab or come in through the front end. Personally I am a little skeptical about Ford's better idea. Truck is parked right now.

there's a delicate corneal inversion procedure... a multi-opti-pupil-optomy. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me!
Posted By: Redneck Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
Got a call from one of my guys yesterday. Truck was running horribly. Sounded like it might be in limp mode.

Yup - very common in the first two years of the 6.0... My F-350 lost the turbo at about 11K miles.. Ford replaced it with a new one (it might have been an improved model???) and it worked fine for the rest of my ownership with it..
Posted By: 45_100 Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by strikeu
Originally Posted by 45_100

there's a delicate corneal inversion procedure... a multi-opti-pupil-optomy. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me!

I agree. Being it's the fire department they figure money is no object. Looking for other alternatives. My son had a F750 service truck. Same issues and they ended up replacing the engine because #2 cylinder was shot. I have seen several fairly late model Ford trucks being parted out on CL here.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
Pro Tip (from someone who flew with motors that spun at 17,000 plus RPMs) don't expect longevity from anything that spins that fast.
Posted By: Higginez Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Pro Tip (from someone who flew with motors that spun at 17,000 plus RPMs) don't expect longevity from anything that spins that fast.

Pro Tip - it aint how fast it's spinning that's killing the turbo.
OK.....
Posted By: Windfall Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
It wasn’t the turbo that went out on my Saab, it was the turbo seals...twice. High rpm, heat and lubrication breakdown killed mine and I vowed to never buy another turbo charged anything. I’ve been living nicely with normally aspirated non-turbo engines ever since.
Originally Posted by Higginez

Pro Tip - it aint how fast it's spinning that's killing the turbo.
True - it's when owners don't let the turbo and oil temp cool down before shutdown, especially if they're not running synthetic oils. Those turbo bearings get really, really freakin' HOT - and if shut down too soon the bearings can fry that oil at the bearing.. After a hard and/or long run, owners should let the truck idle for at least 5, best at 10, minutes before shutdown..
Posted By: Tarkio Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by Redneck

Yup - very common in the first two years of the 6.0... My F-350 lost the turbo at about 11K miles.. Ford replaced it with a new one (it might have been an improved model???) and it worked fine for the rest of my ownership with it..

This is a 6.7
Posted By: CCCC Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
Cummins.

This is a 6.7
Eek, my feeble mind read 2003.. laugh laugh Only thing I have heard about the early 6.7s was first-year valve issues.. Haven't heard about turbos in those yet (which means nothing... smile smile
Those turbo bearings get really, really freakin' HOT - and if shut down too soon the bearings can fry that oil at the bearing.

Could it be because they are spinning 'at the speed of heat"?
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21

dont know why many folks seem to be so scared of a motor with a turbo , I have at least a dozen machines setting around here with turbos on them , and after 40 years of farming I have yet to loose a turbo

a turbo is no more likely to go out than many other engine components , IME
Posted By: CCCC Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/03/21
sdgunslinger, early experience helped me get past the fright, but learned to take precautions. Back in the mid-70s, my 65 Corvair Monza had a fairly big Solex carb with the turbo that Chev put on there to make it the "Monza". That setup would wring some fancy revs and hp from that tough little horizontal six.

The air-cooled aspect of that engine did not help with the fact tat the main bearing in that turbo was heat vulnerable, and operating it in summer in the AZ desert did not help either. So long ago that I do not remember whether that turbo was designed with an oil feed to that bearing that I somehow expanded/increased, or whether I simply created one for it. Either way, I know that I also added an oil cooler to that setup and checked that oil and flow frequently. It worked. memory seems to say that someone came up with an aftermarket bearing of plastic material (maybe teflon?) to help with that issue.

Sure was fun to pull up next to some of those quick/expensive Porsches at a light and then leave them behind at go. Sold that one when we moved to MD - wish I still had it.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/04/21
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Family owned small town business

http://www.blaylock-turbo.com/contact.asp

I called them and talked to a mechanic that happened to be the owner.

My mechanics shipped the turbo off to them today.

It will be at their shop Monday and they tell me they’ll get it out a day later. 1 year warranty.

We will see

Thanks.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: F350 Turbo Issues - 06/09/21
Shipped turbo in to be rebuilt.

Got a call and it's fried.

So now it is either a remanned or an OEM which is on backorder until late this week.

Guess I will have to go with a remanned.

Anyone know what the warranty typically is on a remanufactured piece like this?
© 24hourcampfire