Home
Florida Man Cites 'Stand Your Ground' in Iguana Killing

https://www.cincinnatibell.net/news..._in_iguana_kill-rnewsersyn/vendor/Newser

A Florida man tried unsuccessfully to duck animal cruelty charges by claiming he had every right to beat an iguana to death under the state's "stand your ground" law.

The law allows for the use of deadly force if a person "reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm," per CNN.

In the case of PJ Nilaja Patterson, accused of brutally beating an iguana to death in Lake Worth in September, his lawyers claimed Patterson had saved the 3-foot-long iguana from getting hit by cars when a crowd caused the animal to become agitated and it bit Patterson's arm, causing a wound that required 22 staples.

In what lawyers said was an act of self-defense, Patterson then "kicked the iguana as far as he could."

This was "reasonable" because the iguana "was first to engage with physical violence," the lawyers wrote in a motion to dismiss the charges.

They noted Patterson believed the "wild beast" could have "injected poison" into him, "thus he rushed to incapacitate the iguana the best way he could in order to preserve its antidote." Judge Jeffrey Gillen did not agree, denying the motion Friday.

Prosecutors had noted Patterson spent 30 minutes torturing the defenseless iguana, kicking it at least 17 times, without provocation, in an episode caught on video, per the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

A doctor with Animal Control said the iguana died after suffering "painful and terrifying" injuries, including a lacerated liver and tongue, fractured pelvis, and internal bleeding.

Patterson faces up to five years in prison if convicted.
While I agree the perp's behavior is reprehensible.

Five years for killing a lizard while burglars, pedophiles, and thieves walk the street.

Critters got more rights than men today.
Florida has a history of stupid schit like this.

What kind of twat performs a autopsy on a damn lizard. Lol.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

None - they do a necropsy. smile

I don't think there's a law that's more misunderstood than "stand your ground" or "castle doctrine"
Originally Posted by Teal

I don't think there's a law that's more misunderstood than "stand your ground" or "castle doctrine"

Hah! I stand corrected!
I thought iguana was a pest to be killed down in the F-L-A.

No good deed goes unrewarded

🦫
"Flave tried unsuccessfully to duck animal cruelty charges by claiming he had every right to beat an iguana to death under the state's "stand your ground" law."

Probably drunk again.
Isn’t Deflaves last name Patterson?
Originally Posted by Teal

Hah! I stand corrected!

Yeah, u dummy. Sheesh. grin
Originally Posted by M16
Isn’t Deflaves last name Patterson?

Hahaha. I.knew he hunted dangerous game and with a pellet gun.

Let's hope the Col is OK. 22 staples. Sheesh.
"A doctor with Animal Control said the iguana died after suffering "painful and terrifying" injuries..."

Rather subjective, eh doc?
Was probably a monitor or Tague, and not a green iguana. I seriously doubt a green iguana would cause a bite that required 22 staples.
it is perfectly ok to kill iguana lizards as long as it is done humanely. I am sure the legal issue was animal cruelty, just as if he had mistreated a horse or dog.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
it is perfectly ok to kill iguana lizards as long as it is done humanely. I am sure the legal issue was animal cruelty, just as if he had mistreated a horse or dog.

how many injuries are recorded each year when the hard freeze causes igunas to fall from trees?
Humanely killing a lizard-only in fugged up FL!
Once again I'm glad I live in the North.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

No kidding
Originally Posted by callnum

No kidding

You gals need to slow down on the hand jobs.

LOL
Humanely killing a lizard-only in fugged up FL!

Name the month and year you seen a black person.

LOL
Originally Posted by deflave

No kidding

LOL

I knew this was you! Out hunting lizards while the old lady is at work

Admit it, you were drunk again.

LOL

LOL

Problem?
Somehow I picture some dork going full WWF on the Iguana laugh
"Flave tried unsuccessfully to duck animal cruelty charges by claiming he had every right to beat an iguana to death under the state's "stand your ground" law."

Probably drunk again.

Too bad he didnt get to beat your lizard ass.

No kidding

LOL

Hahaha. Too true.

No kidding

LOL

I knew this was you! Out hunting lizards while the old lady is at work

LOL

What's your excuse you freaking brain dead numbnuts retard.
You're so brain dead you consider Biteme intelligent.
Come to think.of it, he is, compared to you.
3 posts in a row, jag is drunk

Again

LOL
Goes to show you they were right: If you're going to beat your lizard don't do it out in the middle of the road.
3 posts in a row, jag is drunk

Again

LOL

Calldum,

It's good to see "Big Jon" Tester let you come up for air.

LOL
Originally Posted by shaman
Goes to show you they were right: If you're going to beat your lizard don't do it out in the middle of the road.

When I read that article I found myself wondering what kind of broke dick loser that county has as a prosecutor.

Worrying about a fugking lizard that FWC asks everyone to kill.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

how many injuries are recorded each year when the hard freeze causes igunas to fall from trees?

injuries to man or lizard?
Please tell me that article is satire.
I think the 'Campfire ought to produce a Public Service Announcement-- we'll get a famous Floridian to do it. It'll be a somber reminder: Don't beat your lizard. Call a qualified professional to handle the problem. If you have to beat your lizard, do it somewhere with some privacy-- don't beat your lizard in public.
My first thought was that it's satire.... I thought Florida wanted folks to kill those things. Besides; it bit him bad enough to require 22 stitches so he lost his cool and kicked the chit out of it. Just like most guys would have done in that situation.
Liberal Judge who lost his mind although the law clearly states they have to be humanely killed. grin
Originally Posted by Morewood
"A doctor with Animal Control said the iguana died after suffering "painful and terrifying" injuries..."

Rather subjective, eh doc?

1st degree murder charges might be in order. The guy is evidently mentally ill and a future mass murderer, but these Goddamm lizards are an invasive alien species right?
© 24hourcampfire