Home
Posted By: OldHat The old dog died - 06/03/21
I'm a dog guy for sure, but I'm one of those people that says hey they are just animals ... well I'm here to tell you I cried when my old buddy died. Dang he was a good ole dog. Loyal to the very end even though he was paralyzed or something the last day. Maybe a stroke. I don't know.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Sorry to hear this. The only thing I can tell you is that a new puppy heals old wounds.
Posted By: slumlord Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
I keep a rotation of dogs in play, gapped about 4 years apart in age. Softens the event somewhat. And dogs too grieve when a pack member passes.

Sorry bout your loss.

Glad to see you posting back.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
As any good man would.

I am not ashamed to say I cry harder when I have to shoot a horse years before its time.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Super sorry to hear it.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Sorry to hear that. I always take this very hard, myself.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
OH sorry to hear about the loss of your pal.. He will be waiting...
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Sorry to hear about you losing a good buddy.
Posted By: rem141r Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
I keep a rotation of dogs in play, gapped about 4 years apart in age. Softens the event somewhat. And dogs too grieve when a pack member passes.

Sorry bout your loss.

thats a good plan. well except for all the dog chit everywhere.
Originally Posted by rem141r

Sorry bout your loss.

thats a good plan.

I think in those terms, too. It was too hard on me when my only dog died at the age of 12 back in the summer of 2011. Prior to that, I had always had multiple dogs, so it dampened the grief a little. After his death, I have made sure to have at least two dogs, age separated by about five years.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Sorry to here this, losing a friend is always hard no matter what.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
A death in the family.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A death in the family.

Feels exactly the same to me.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
sorry to hear it.
glad you two were mutually good companions to the end...
he appreciated you.
Posted By: 338Rem Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Sorry to hear.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Sorry for your loss OH.
Posted By: AZmark Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
I feel for you man and sorry for your loss. This just shows you are one of the decent human beings.

Last dog I lost was in 2014 and I cried off and on for several days after loosing her. I was so pissed at myself when she got sick and I thought she had just had a siezure like one of my earlier dogs used to have and thought she would come out of it, and it looked like thats what was happening. It was a Sunday so I didn't take her to the vet, planning on being there when they opened on Monday. Well Monday at about 5am she came to our bed and woke us up crying and then died with wife and I sitting with her on the floor. Vet said it was heart attack.

Another dog story of mine. I was wiring a garage at my cabin and when pulling down some romex through the top plate I drove a tapered1/2" splinter of wood that stuck out of a stud through the back lower thumb and it came out in my palm and broke off. I knew there was no way I could get this out myself so drove 75 miles to the nearest emergency room. I was alone and had my hunting dog with me and I took her into the waiting room and they had not problem with that but when they called me into the operating room they said no dog. I tried to argue with no success. So asked them to wait a minute as there was a security guard sitting outside. I asked him to watch my dog and pickup while I left it running with the AC on and pulled it up to his station. He agreed and they deadened my hand and got about half the splinter out and said go to a hand surgeon. About a month later the rest of the splinter popped out on its own while out to dinner with my wife.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Sorry you lost your pal Oldhat.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
They are sure hard to lose.

Sorry for that.
Posted By: OldHat Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21

Sorry bout your loss.

Ha, hopefully not those little terriers. I hear they live to like 18. A whole pack of them little chits running around. Ha!
Posted By: OldHat Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
sorry to hear it.
glad you two were mutually good companions to the end...
he appreciated you.

He was all messed up at the end with his feet curled ... but I would pet him and talk to him and I could tell it soothed him. He'd relax. Dang it makes me tear up just thinking about it. He lived a good life. I spent a lot of time with that dog.
Posted By: saddlering Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Sorry for your lost, lost my old pal a year ago this month! Think of her every day!
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Sorry about you losing your buddy OldHat. I had to put mine down last week. Had her 14 years. At first I thought, well its just another dog. I was wrong again. It sucks. I'm still looking around for her.
Posted By: deflave Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by OldHat
I'm a dog guy for sure, but I'm one of those people that says hey they are just animals ... well I'm here to tell you I cried when my old buddy died. Dang he was a good ole dog. Loyal to the very end even though he was paralyzed or something the last day. Maybe a stroke. I don't know.

I love dogs.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Evnin, so so sorry. Lost my GWP a couple of years ago. My Diggzzz. We were inseparable, done everything together. Wife got another dog just before he left, it did soften the blow some. Stop second guessing your self about the last day!!! I've had to put some down myself, not put some down myself & every time I think I was wrong. Lose sleep over it still. You can't go back & re do it. They know how much they are loved, don't beat your self up to much. Hopefully we will be together again & all will be right again. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Rest In Peace, little doggie. Very sad.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Some people say there are no dogs in Heaven. How the Hell could that be Heaven?
Posted By: DANNYL Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Not easy at all. I have had to take ours to the vet over the years to be put down. When a dog gets so bad you know it isn't going to spring back the dog is counting on you to do the best thing and not make them suffer any longer.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A death in the family.

Feels exactly the same to me.
Same here.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I've wondered that myself.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I've wondered that myself.

It was at this point that I always used to post the Twilight Zone episode (The Hunt) when the old man and his dog are both killed during a coon hunt. Unfortunately, YouTube took it down years ago.
Posted By: Diesel Re: The old dog died - 06/03/21
OH,

We have bred Goldens for years and at one time had eight adult dogs at once. I learned so much from constant interaction with each individual. Each one unique. I love dogs beyond rationale and when one would pass, it was crushing. The rest of the pack missed them and grieved too. I still get teared for each one when there is some happenstance that reminds me of times spent with them.

Amazingly, when a leader passes a younger one will step up and assume duties. That is the luxury of having so many. They fill voids, but never replace the great memories of the ones passed.

All us dog people feel your loss. There are way too many losses noted here and we wish it wasn't so. Their companionship is powerful medicine. Go get some more medicine.
Well, here's a scene from it, anyway.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Man that sucks, i hate it too, deep sadness for weeks, months and years later you never forget them, i hate to say it, but a good dog is more ethical, dedicated, devoted and respectful than 99 percent of humans.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Originally Posted by Diesel
OH,

We have bred Goldens for years and at one time had eight adult dogs at once. I learned so much from constant interaction with each individual. Each one unique. I love dogs beyond rationale and when one would pass, it was crushing. The rest of the pack missed them and grieved too. I still get teared for each one when there is some happenstance that reminds me of times spent with them.

Same here. In fact, when I lost my German Shepherd in 1980 (the first dog I ever had to suffer the death of), I cried for months in advance, and years after.
Posted By: Fastback65 Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Sorry for your loss my friend i have a 13 year old i can not imagine what it is going to be like when he passes he has been everywhere with me went to work everyday w until 4 years ago and i retired now we both hang out at home. He is getting the arthritis and hard of hearing.

It is like losing a family member heck i spend more time with this old mutt than i ever did with family.
Take it day by day knowing no one could have given him a better home than what you did.
Posted By: GeoW Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Know just how you feel. It's tough to lose one's best friend.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Sorry to hear about your dog.

Bunch of us know how you feel losing him.

Hollow, sad, greiving.

They are tied to us for 10,s of 1000,s of years and we are tied to them.
Humans and dogs evolved working together for each others benefit and companionship.

No other 2 species on the planet have the bond like man and dog do.

It hurts when you lose a dog...
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
So sorry to hear that.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21

That's rough OldHat.
Some dogs are true friends and gifts from above.
I'll pray for your loss.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Despite my age, I've only had one dog from puppy to passing. She was only 9 when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We paid extra to have the Vet do the deed at home and I held her and talked to her the whole process. She literally died in my arms while I told her what a good girl she was with tears on my face.

We got a new dog a few months later, another female, and I still, almost 6 years later, can't call her my good girl because in my heart that title is reserved for my first companion. Instead, I call her my good puppy.

All this to say that I understand and am sorry for your loss. Dogs enhance our lives like no other animal can.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Bummer dude,

He's gone around the bend and will be there waiting for you when you round the curve. You just can't see him there now.

Condolences.
It’s very hard. I shed tears at the vet as our last little house dog was put down at thirteen years about a year ago. This little dog shivered in fear with any change in routine, even riding in a car it bounced around, tongue hanging out, and shaking so hard you couldn’t imagine what that little body was experiencing.

It was strangely catlike, kind of aloof, not doglike in its affection — if I sat next to it, it would get up and move to another chair; ‘course my wife does that too. And yet, When I would stroke its head, it would look up, close its eyes, and relax completely.

It was a quiet, non-vocal dog except when the kids and grandkids came over at which time it would break out in a spasm of barking and tail wagging, while racing around the furniture until exhausted.

We could tell it was in pain, missing on jumps up to her sitting place, falling over, and generally looking poorly. I asked the vet for a heavy sedative and told her I was going to give her three or five times the dose per weight. If it slept her to death, ok. If it didn’t, she would be sleeping and not extremely fearful as I brought her in.

As it turned out she slept on my wife’s lap for the last three hours of her life which was a gift to my wife, as I had mentioned, it wasn’t in her nature. Still, I had to bring her in as she unknowingly clung to life.

She’s in the back yard with four others, all with their own story. I buried her in a little box shedding tears again. I sometimes think God gave us these unique, soulful animals with our deep caring for them, to appeal to the thought how much He cares for us.

The new pup likes to lay in my lap.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
My son lost his red healer last Monday. Hi wife came home from running the kids around and he was in his kennel laying down like he was waiting for them to come home. It appears we know how you feel Old Hat. His 9 year old daughter was pretty broken up about it. He was buried on her grandpa's farm so she can visit with him when she is there.

kwg
Posted By: ingwe Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Sorry to hear this. The only thing I can tell you is that a new puppy heals old wounds.

I just went through the same thing. And yes, theres a new puppy in the house...
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
My granddaughter had a little yorkie we gave her, said yorkie in turn having been given to us by a relative who couldn’t keep him. Ralphie, as yorkie s often do, lost most of his teeth and every time you picked him up his belly would be damp with pee grin

She loved that dog, called him her little brother, tho Ralphie was older than she was. I believe that kid will have a lifetime love of dogs.
Posted By: Scotty Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
They wiggle into our lives and hearts and before you know it they are loved like family. Losing a loved pet is losing a family member in my view. It hurts but we must hold their memories special and carry own.
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21

I'm sorry for your buddy's passing. Mine went that way and it was damn tough to watch, I spent the night with him on the floor...
Posted By: Sparky70 Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Sorry for your loss. Just had to put my best buddy of 13 years down 2 weeks ago and I'm still crushed about it. They are special.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
OH,

Amazingly, when a leader passes a younger one will step up and assume duties. That is the luxury of having so many. They fill voids, but never replace the great memories of the ones passed.

All us dog people feel your loss. There are way too many losses noted here and we wish it wasn't so. Their companionship is powerful medicine. Go get some more medicine.

i have had as many as 5 goldies at a time, mostly older rescue dogs nobody wanted, suffering from a variety of things.
it has never been easy to lose one, as i did a few months ago. Max was 13 when he passed, i am still not sure why given he was under vet care, he first came into my life at age 1 from oklahoma. one of my current goldies was operated on yesterday for what was thought to be a cyst on her back. nope, it was sent out to the lab and i am dreading the report. she has about a six inch scar top of her back. she is a talker and was moaning and groaning with movement. she crawled into my office this morning, eat some dog food, apples, and part of my toast, so she is feeling better. I love dogs better than people. I can only trust in the afterlife they will all be waiting for me.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
OH,

i have had as many as 5 goldies at a time, mostly older rescue dogs nobody wanted, suffering from a variety of things.
it has never been easy to lose one, as i did a few months ago. Max was 13 when he passed, i am still not sure why given he was under vet care, he first came into my life at age 1 from oklahoma. one of my current goldies was operated on yesterday for what was thought to be a cyst on her back. nope, it was sent out to the lab and i am dreading the report. she has about a six inch scar top of her back. she is a talker and was moaning and groaning with movement. she crawled into my office this morning, eat some dog food, apples, and part of my toast, so she is feeling better. I love dogs better than people. I can only trust in the afterlife they will all be waiting for me. i have a xterra that we call the dog car. we pack them all up when we go for a ride. and as members of our pack, they grieve too. they grieve for humans too. when various close members of my family have died, they have sat and howled at the moon.
Posted By: Huntz Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Originally Posted by deflave

I love dogs.

To Death!!
Posted By: Huntz Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Sorry about your buddy.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
Sorry for your loss.....
Got an old boy myself that is on the down slope.....big old lab with bad knees, feet, hips too I rekon.....fatty cysts all over....he fighting it as best he can but when he can no longer get up and stay up theres going to be a decision to be made.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: The old dog died - 06/04/21
I knew better than to open this. They just don’t seem to live long enough. Sorry for your loss. Dog owners all know the same pain is waiting for them. Hasbeen
Posted By: kennyd Re: The old dog died - 06/05/21
Last one I had to take in couldnt control going indoors. Sleot most if the time. Sniffed everything at the vet and acted happy. Damn dog just couldnt go to sleep a last time

Came home to a bawling wife wanting me to go back and get her. I may never get over that. Then my son came by the bext day and was nearly as bad.

We are doglesss first time in 70 years. Havent seen anything except reject pitbull types up for adoption.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: The old dog died - 06/05/21
I feel your pain, it's so very hard to lose your best friend. I've lost several and every time I look at this file and it makes me feel a little better.

Just this side of heaven is place called the rainbow bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: The old dog died - 06/05/21
You're all correct about losing a friend. And about the solution. The glorious part of a dog's life - a puppy! Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: WAM Re: The old dog died - 06/05/21
I feel your pain. He’s still in your heart forever.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: The old dog died - 06/05/21
Can't read it but know your pain. Prayers sent
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: The old dog died - 06/05/21
Sorry to hear about your Dog Old Hat...Dogs are the best ! Mine is going to be 18 in August after rescuing him at 6 months old. Take care.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: The old dog died - 06/05/21
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Sorry to hear about your Dog Old Hat...Dogs are the best ! Mine is going to be 18 in August after rescuing him at 6 months old. Take care.

That's amazing. Is he mobile? How is his vision? I had a Chihuahua that lived to 18. We got her when I was three, and she had to be put down when I was 21. I still miss her.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: The old dog died - 06/05/21
Sorry to hear about your buddy. As others have said, they are members of our families and it's not uncommon to be closer to our pets than some friends and relatives.
We lost our Daisy on Groundhog Day this year and I know I will always miss her.
© 24hourcampfire