Home
Posted By: iambrb Inheritance - 06/04/21
This has been a rather traumatic week. A few weeks ago, my FIL dropped dead (heart attack). Turns out he was hiding my MIL’s Alzheimer’s. We are now in process of getting her into our home for a short time as we get her into an assisted living home

Add to that I have now inherited his 2005 F150. Yes, it’s 16 years old, but it has only 36k miles, he was the only owner (bought cash) and besides the aluminum bed cap he had

https://i.imgur.com/igIqddp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CiLJZkC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XkCOI14.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RjJ0woz.jpg

It has power-nothing, but I have to say, I like the old girl. But I’d rather have the FIL back
Posted By: hanco Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
My first father in law was like a father to me. He was a tail gunner in a B-17, worked 35 years for Superior Oil Company. He was very good to me. It was tough when he passed. Sorry yours is gone!
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
I had an '05 F150 my father-in-law (still living) gave me, had about 40k on it when I got it in 2013 and had about 190k on it when I sold it a month ago. One of the best vehicles I ever had and especially if you overlook the difficult but not impossible job of replacing plugs in the 5.4L.

He's a cool dude and we have a lot in common: USN aviation and electronics backgrounds, and he's damn near as conservative as I am. Oddly enough, my politics align almost one-for-one with my mother in law's. We're like two peas in a pod.

I have great in-laws and I love them to pieces.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
I hate to hear about your FIL . It sounds like he was fond of you and wanted you to have the truck . Maybe you can smile when you drive it and think about him .

I had a similar truck as a company vehicle with the 4.6 auto and it was good on fuel . A man cant have too many trucks .
Posted By: OldHat Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
Hate to say it but just 16 years ago things were simpler.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
Sorry to hear about your FIL.

I just picked up a 2005 f150 with 80k. Nice thing is parts are easy to get.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
No idea how this works, but how did you inherit it?

How is the home going to be paid?
It might be tied to their estate which has to pay for her care.

Be cautious, you could end up paying the home for the truck.

Again, not a lawyer. Not in your state, no idea what kind of
preparations have been made.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
Sorry for your loss. Nice truck.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Sorry for your loss. Nice truck.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

You'll need them too.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

You'll need them too.

My wife already broke it after 3k miles
Posted By: iambrb Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
It was in the will. Still technically in probate but once it clears the MIL or the POA will sign it over to me

Thanks for the kind words. Found this guy stuffed behind the seat. My FIL loved Christmas, do I tossed it on the dash and gave it his name:

https://imgur.com/a/NraTzeg
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

In my state the state is not interested in vehicles over seven years old nor in household goods.
Posted By: antlers Re: Inheritance - 06/04/21
I’m taking as many steps as possible to take as much as possible out of the hands of the probate court. Beneficiary deed on my house takes my home out of my probate estate and will transfer my home straight to my kids...on the stepped up basis...upon my death. Beneficiary deeds on my vehicles takes my cars out of my probate estate and they’ll go straight to my kids upon my death. Transfer on death setups on all financial assets takes all financial assets out of my probate estate and they’ll go straight to my kids upon my death. The only thing left is my residual estate...basically the stuff in my house...and that’s the only thing that the probate court will have any say so over at all. And hopefully they won’t even wanna dick with any of it.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Originally Posted by antlers
I’m taking as many steps as possible to take as much as possible out of the hands of the probate court. Beneficiary deed on my house takes my home out of my probate estate and will transfer my home straight to my kids...on the stepped up basis...upon my death. Beneficiary deeds on my vehicles takes my cars out of my probate estate and they’ll go straight to my kids upon my death. Transfer on death setups on all financial assets takes all financial assets out of my probate estate and they’ll go straight to my kids upon my death. The only thing left is my residual estate...basically the stuff in my house...and that’s the only thing that the probate court will have any say so over at all. And hopefully they won’t even wanna dick with any of it.
Good man. The government doesn't need its stinky fingers in any more than it already has.
Posted By: antlers Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Agreed. The whole system is setup so that the government can steal as much as they can from your heirs.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Agreed. The whole system is setup so that the government can steal as much as they can from your heirs.
Amen. As is much of everything else.
Posted By: WMR Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Federal Estate tax doesn’t kick in until your estate exceeds 11 million. A few states tax estates larger than 1 million. Less than that and your heirs will be fine.

Transferring assets prior to death is sometimes done to help someone qualify for state benefits to fund a nursing home stay. Essentially, this is asking your neighbors to pay for your care while you hide your own money. Sounds pretty creepy to me.

In the OP’s case, the value of the old truck is really pretty small. Neat that it went to someone that could appreciate it.
The government can extort quite a bit from someone’s heirs during a 6 to 24 month probate, even if their assets are well under the federal threshold. Filings, motions, etc.. Makes sense to me to relieve the government of their opportunity to steal. It’s easily done.
Medicaid Estate Recovery will go after everything they can from the estate of a deceased person who racked up a big Medicaid bill for nursing home or assisted living. They can go back for a period of years. And if someone has taken steps to ensure that their assets do end up with their heirs, and ‘then’ require placement in a nursing home or assisted living, they can be denied. Granny with severe senile dementia who needs tube feedings and bladder and bowel care can live with her daughter and son-in-law and their children. Or they can collectively undo the protective mechanisms granny had in place, she can go into long term care, and the government will put liens on the house and any other assets they can get their mitts on.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
The government can extort quite a bit from someone’s heirs during a 6 to 24 month probate, even if their assets are well under the federal threshold. Filings, motions, etc.. Makes sense to me to relieve the government of their opportunity to steal. It’s easily done.
Medicaid Estate Recovery will go after everything they can from the estate of a deceased person who racked up a big Medicaid bill for nursing home or assisted living. They can go back for a period of years. And if someone has taken steps to ensure that their assets do end up with their heirs, and ‘then’ require placement in a nursing home or assisted living, they can be denied.

I thought anything put in a will removed it from probate?
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Medicaid Estate Recovery will go after everything they can from the estate of a deceased person who racked up a big Medicaid bill for nursing home or assisted living. They can go back for a period of years. And if someone has taken steps to ensure that their assets do end up with their heirs, and ‘then’ require placement in a nursing home or assisted living, they can be denied.
I thought anything put in a will removed it from probate?
No. Probate can override a will. Probate can consider a will, if they choose to. Probate can use it as a guide, if they choose to. But Probate has the power to do as they see fit, regardless of the will.

I don’t disagree with what you say. Have seen it in action. Just saying that if a person gives his assets to family, then pleads poverty and asks for the state to care for him, he is lying to get his neighbors’ money.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Condolences. On the other hand I have my dad's old 1999 f150 4x4. It's my hunting & fishing truck now. Everytime I drive it feels like pop's is in the seat next to me........
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Those were good years I think
Posted By: slumlord Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Any Sakos or tractors?
Any gold bars?
Any Made in USA hand tools ? I think Ballz finally wants to spring for some. Theyre not gettin’ any cheaper !
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Nice straight forward truck. But, sorry for your loss.

Lots of probate info which, if accurate for state of the person who posted it, is inaccurate elsewhere.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Originally Posted by WMR
I don’t disagree with what you say. Have seen it in action. Just saying that if a person gives his assets to family, then pleads poverty and asks for the state to care for him, he is lying to get his neighbors’ money.

Most in that situation have already paid WAY more than their "fair share" of taxes. And already paid for more then their share of continuing care, previously.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Any lumber ?
People shouldn’t have to jump through a buncha hoops and have it made as difficult as possible for them and their loved one’s when it comes to their death, and to simply be able to leave their belongings to their heirs. It’s a racket by design. Our government is a huge criminal organization. Thievin’ bastards.
Signed Tom Brady rookie card?
Posted By: EdM Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
A proper trust works. Most folks don't want to spend the money for one and maybe for most there is no incentive to do so.
Posted By: readonly Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Originally Posted by WMR

The man is dead. His care is over. Apparently the truck belong to him and he willed it to his SIL. In light of these facts your comment is baseless and stupid.
Posted By: mathman Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Turns out he was hiding my MIL’s Alzheimer’s. We are now in process of getting her into our home for a short time as we get her into an assisted living home

I believe that's what they were referring to.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
I inherited nothing from my in laws and will receive nothing from my parents as they are barely getting by as it is. My brother and I are making their house payments along with insurance and taxes. Not a big deal. That is the way it used to be, kids taking care of their elderly relatives, just as our parents took care of theirs. However I live a meager life, buying few things and depriving myself of some of life's pleasures so I can leave my 2 kids and 2 grandkids a tidy sum. I think they will be pleasantly surprised. Some of the posters have mentioned their father-in-laws and how good a man was he, well my F-I-L was the best man I ever knew. He was the father I always wanted. He as well served in the war and was a ball turret gunner on a B-17 with 51 missions to his credit. It has been 36 years since he died and I still tell him good night, every night before I fall to sleep.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by WMR

Most in that situation have already paid WAY more than their "fair share" of taxes. And already paid for more then their share of continuing care, previously.

I would rather my tax dollars go to help someone that worked all their life and help them in their last years......than go to those who never work.... or to another schithole country that hates us....or,,,or...or......pick your poison as far as what our .gov does to [bleep] away our money.........bob
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21

#Dillondowner

smile
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
I put my father into a nursing home two years ago. He lived 10 more months and burned up about $120-$130K in that time, apart from the holding costs of his home before it sold, and other expenses. Had he lived long enough to exhaust everything, he would have gone on Medicaid, and kept on in the same facility, maybe in a shared room. My neighbor’s parents had to move in with him about the same time. The mother soon had to go into a nursing home, so they hired an attorney who bankrupted her on paper somehow so that Medicaid took her on. Didn’t much care for that trick myself as a taxpayer, but now the father is also in a home, so I suppose their assets will finally be spent on HIS care, assuming he lives long enough. In the end, all gone is all gone.

One thing I managed to do before my father died was to clear off the list of personal property to be distributed after his death he had attached to his will, at the attorney’s insistence. That simplified things when handling the estate, and the gummint didn't get any of that. There was nothing of value left in his house when he died, just junk.

It also helped a lot that my father signed over control of everything while he was still competent to do so, as opposed to having to have him declared incompetent by the court.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
My father took care of us and we'll take care of him. My brother is his main care giver and I fill in as needed, we'd never put him into an assistant living facility. My father in law is a womanizer, has been married 5 times and cheated on every wife multiple times. Good guy but he's on his own.
Originally Posted by readonly
Originally Posted by WMR

The man is dead. His care is over. Apparently the truck belong to him and he willed it to his SIL. In light of these facts your comment is baseless and stupid.

None of my comments were directed to the OP except when I hoped he’d enjoy the truck. Good on him for caring for MIL under difficult circumstances. This was a discussion of a related topic. Sorry you missed that . You might have had something useful to say.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Sorry about your father in law, enjoy the pickup though. That’s kinda neat about the pickup. Should last quite awhile for you.

In the vein of the tangent conversation;

My wife’s grandpa just died. As far as I’m concerned he did right by the family. His farm, if sold to developers would bring several million. Instead, he left it to a grandson who took over the small dairy operation a number of years ago. After losing his wife, he started slipping into dementia. But he had his will set up so that he wouldn’t be sent to a home. Not simply because he didn’t want to be in a home, but primarily because of the issues brought up previously. He didn’t want to have the kid lose the farm because the state took it to pay the bills. And he was too proud to be a welfare case. Instead he spent the last year or so in a pretty sad state. But it was the way he wanted it. Tough old man, and I loved him. Treated me like a grandson from the first time I met him (my wife was his favorite grandkid smile )
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Inheritance - 06/05/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt

#Dillondowner

smile

Sorry.
Looking out for him is all.
Hate to see something go worse than it has to.
But you knew that. crazy
© 24hourcampfire