Home
https://www.ign.com/articles/master-and-commander-sequel-movie-20th-century-russell-crowe

I really enjoyed seeing this movie on the large screen. Can’t wait for the sequel.
Looking forward to this one. Nice find.
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Looking forward to this one. Nice find.

Yep.

Should be a good one, too.
The movie was just a pale shadow of the books. Patrick O'Brian was (IMHO) the finest prose writer in the English language. I read the entire 20-1/2 books of the series every couple of years and always discover new things.
^^^^Me too Rocky...O'Brian IS the Master and Commander of the English language. Yes, the movie is but a shadow of the book, I still look forward to it's release. The greatest filmmakers in the world with unlimited budget and the finest actors, could never portray the novels because they are written with layers of nuance that can not be translated to cinema. It is why we can read, re-read and re-read them, finding something new every time. Your taste in literature says much about the man.
Russell Crowe gonna have to go on a diet.
Originally Posted by deflave

Nah. In the prequel he been promoted from the galley.
This one will feature a black first mate and a transgender medical officer.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This one will feature a black first mate and a transgender medical officer.

Damn, Hawk !
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Originally Posted by deflave

Nah. In the sequel he been promoted to the galley. Head Cookie

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Doctor Maturin is the most nuanced character ever in literature. In the words of the Captain himself, Maturin is "a deep old file." The first movie did him no justice whatsoever - didn't even portray him physically with any accuracy. You simply must read the books to appreciate him.
I have read the entire book series several times. I could barely watch the movie, as it had very little to do with the books. Bad acting as well. On the other hand, as with the LOTR movies, there isn't any other portrayal of the subject out there.
I can’t wait to see it, will see about reading the book series
Whenever this dude has a pic taken, he hires Russell Crowe to stand beside him to make him look slim.

Hope it doesn’t get “Hollywooded”.
The first one was "Hollywooded" to the point of it being unrecognizable to anyone who read the books. No way I'm going to watch a sequel to an atrocity.

Hanco, DO read the books. You'll see what we're saying.
The original movie was excellent, quite apart from the question of how closely it followed the book.
And the sequel being "Hollywooded" is precisely what I was referring to in my first post here, i.e., black first mate and transsexual medical officer. Book it.
Are you not entertained?

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]
He's morphing into Burl Ives.

[Linked Image from filmdaily.co]
If they ever do a live-action remake of Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer... he is a shoe in for the snowman narrator.
Thanks so much for that pic. I feel like a Greek God now!
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The first one was "Hollywooded" to the point of it being unrecognizable to anyone who read the books. No way I'm going to watch a sequel to an atrocity.

Hanco, DO read the books. You'll see what we're saying.

I understand that, but I was referring to a woke version.
Just started reading the books and can't put them down . And there's just no way Dr Maturin can be portrayed in my eyes on the big screen. Hollywierd would use a transgender freak no doubt. I have a former work acquaintance that would fit in mine eyes.
After you finish that series, read Forester; any of them, all of them.

After that, get some H.R. Haggard.
Originally Posted by add
Are you not entertained?

LOL. Holy shit! grin
Woke version, Aubrey will be an Admiral in the sequel played by Rosanne Barr.
Great movie, but Hollywood will ruin any sequel.
Originally Posted by hanco
I can’t wait to see it, will see about reading the book series

you can pick up used book, usually in great shape from Thrift Books. Most are priced under $5. When I bought mine, I just ordered two or three at a time. They ship fast, and free of charge.
Originally Posted by add
Are you not entertained?

What is his handle on the Campfire?
The movie was just a pale shadow of the books. Patrick O'Brian was (IMHO) the finest prose writer in the English language. I read the entire 20-1/2 books of the series every couple of years and always discover new things.

I’ve read all but one of that long series. It was well written and the author researched lots of naval voyages and actions from English military diaries and logs.

The movie Master and Commander is a bastardized version of O’Brians first book and one later in the series. Master and Commander is about an unorthodox Scottish Officer in the Royal Navy, Lord Cochrane who pulled off some interesting actions and was eventually booted out of the Royal Navy. He wasn’t finished though, he served in Peru and pulled off an incredible victory there. Bernard Cornwall had a story about Cochrane and his mythical Sharpe in Sharpes Devil.

C. s. Forster also wrote a similar series about Cochrane in the Horacio Hornblower series.

Although the movie was a bastardization of two or three books, it was still fun. Glad I wasn’t a “sailor” on one of those English man of wars.
If you are thinking about buying the unfinished 21st one, don't bother. O'Brian died almost literally in mid-sentence only a few pages into it, and reading that heart-rending stop is deeply painful to a devout reader. Far better to simply close the cover on "Blue at the Mizzen" and be satisfied with your inner thought of "and they lived happily ever after."
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Woke version, Aubrey will be an Admiral in the sequel played by Rosanne Barr.
Rosanne's got bigger cojones than most of the campfire.
I'm a BIG fan of the original movie - I'll be first in line to see the sequel!
Originally Posted by add
Are you not entertained?

You just posted a picture of me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I've got the movie laying around here unopened. I may have to watch it.
People who like the movie have never read the books. And those who have read the books dislike the movie. It's that simple.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I've got the movie laying around here unopened. I may have to watch it.

Oh crap! You've never see it? Great movie.

Remember: You must always choose the lesser of two weevils.
The other wonderful Maturin off-the-cuff line is about why the shortened dog watch is called that. "Because it is curtailed," he quipped.

And then there was the time he was asked what the ships's cat should be called and he said, "The only possible name for a ships's cat is Scourge." (That one you'll have to read the books to get...)

Same actor co-starred w/Crowe in A Beautiful Mind - dorm mate.

good lead...
I will have to look for that series..

unfortunately fot the film, i have little faith in commiewood these days...
Originally Posted by add

Yep. I know. Imaginary dorm mate.
Originally Posted by add

Yep. I know. Imaginary dorm mate.

^ ^ ^

ATTN: Mannlicher - Spoiler alert!
Originally Posted by OldHat

Sequels:

Producers wanted Kevin Costner to do a sequel to Dances With Wolves and he turned them down saying they couldn’t build on the original that there was only the one and original

I believe that he was offered 50,000$ just to review the proposed script and he turned that offer down.

If I recall correctly all of this was mentioned in the documentary, The Making of Dances With Wolves.
Rocky et al,

Thank you all for mentioning the O'Brian books. I got my hands on a copy of Post Captain. I started reading it one drink and one cigar ago. Now I must pour and light another pair before I put down the book and retire for the evening.

M
Did anyone read the article! It says it's unlikely that Crowe will be in the new movie, as it is a prequel.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Sequels:

Dances With Wolves...

The original sucked.

Any sequel would have sucked exponentially.
People who like the movie have never read the books. And those who have read the books dislike the movie. It's that simple.

Not true in my case. I've read and re-read the books, and watched and re-watched the movie, and I enjoy both.

Not a student / fan of The Godfather run?
Godfather II, great movie.

Godfather III, turd.
One of my favorite movies.
I thought the movie was pretty good.
Never have read the books so cant offer an opinon versus that.

Russel gonna need ta shed some poundage.
Looks like the stay puff marshmallow man.
But not as solid white.
Read the books and enjoyed them
Saw the movie and enjoyed it

Learned long ago that they can be 2 separate things that are enjoyable even if the connection isn't 1:1
Originally Posted by renegade50
I thought the movie was pretty good.
Never have read the books so cant offer an opinon versus that.

Russel gonna need ta shed some poundage.
Looks like the stay puff marshmallow man.
But not as solid white.

As Patrick O'Brian repeatedly described the physical Jack Aubrey, he was a red faced somewhat rotund, tending to chubby, Englishman. Perhaps Crowe is not so far from the mark. The idiot who cast the character of Dr Stephen Maturin failed miserably...but, after all, it is the film industry, we should not expect much from them.
I just finished Blue at the Mizzen. I'm sorry I won't be able to read about Jack now that he's hoisted his flag.

As to Dr. Maturin I don't see how any actor and script could come remotely close to developing that character in a single movie.
Originally Posted by tpcollins
https://www.ign.com/articles/master-and-commander-sequel-movie-20th-century-russell-crowe

I really enjoyed seeing this movie on the large screen. Can’t wait for the sequel.

I sure hope they keep much of the same cast. It's difficult to do with the advanced ages of the actors.

It's one of my favorite movies, and I watch it at least once a year, often several times.
Until the sequel comes out we can watch the cut scenes.

The original movie was excellent, quite apart from the question of how closely it followed the book.

That's why I don't read books: I don't want them ruining movies for me.
the whole movie is also on youtube

I'm glad this topic was brought back up because I wanted to thank whomever prompted me to read Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series. Thanks, Rocky, and all you fellow book readers that enjoyed the books.

Expensive books to buy online but thankfully I know a lady that owns a used bookstore and she found the first 8 books in pristine condition for 12 bucks. I'm now halfway through book 4 - The Mauritius Command.

I've never read an author quite like O'Brian, he's very descriptive, colorful, witty and devious in his storytelling. Dropping droll bombshells out of the middle of nowhere. Got to pay attention.

Russell Crowe made a good Jack Aubrey. There is no actor alive that can portray the complex Dr. Maturin.
I’m looking forward to the sequel .

A few hours invested in the visuals might inspire me to re-read the books.

Starting with CS.Lewis Horatio Hornblower of course.

O’Brian’s work was impressive.
Impressive attention to historical detail, you feel like you’re learning the nuts and bolts of how sailing ships operated. Same attention to the firearms and ordinance, how many other movies woulda shown the specifics of cannons ignited by flintlock mechanisms?

I was surprised they made the first movie, didn’t think there was a big enough audience for them to make it say as compared to some sci fI Marvel comics flick, I’m even more surprised they’re contemplating a second. Glad to see it though.
Originally Posted by dassa

That's why I don't read books: I don't want them ruining movies for me.

Exactly!

Reading is for suckers.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by tpcollins

I sure hope they keep much of the same cast. It's difficult to do with the advanced ages of the actors.

It's one of my favorite movies, and I watch it at least once a year, often several times.

Russell Crowe will have to lose a lot of weight.

"Are you not entertained?"

[Linked Image from thesun.co.uk]
Originally Posted by 338Rules
I’m looking forward to the sequel .

A few hours invested in the visuals might inspire me to re-read the books.

Starting with CS.Lewis Horatio Hornblower of course.

O’Brian’s work was impressive.

I've read Horatio Hornblower several times and enjoyed it enough to get the box set of movies on DVD. I also watched Master and Commander and thought it decent, but hearing such glowing reviews about the books has me considering reading them as well.
Yes, the movie comes up a little short, but even being a diehard O'Brian fan, the movie does have superb cinematography, historically correct, no female dominant bs, no woke bs, the computer generated action scenes are indetectable, much better fare than that usually vomited from the entertainment industry. In one of the O'Brian series, the Brit Navy is assigned to interdict slavers in the Bight of Benin...can you imagine how Hollywood could butcher that bit of history for the screen? We would probably end up with Al Sharpton's cousin becoming a Lord of the Admiralty after saving all hands on the Surprise.
You will not regret reading the books, bruinruin. As I opined above, they are the finest prose in the English language. (And you will greatly broaden your vocabulary, too!)
For genuine aficionados of the O'Brian series, I can recommend these books as "follow-along" volumes to help visualize the voyages...

Harbors and High Seas Third Edition, by Dean King (An atlas and geographical guide to the complete series of novels.)

A Sea of Words Third Edition, again by Dean King (A lexicon and companion of O'Brian's words and terms)

Lobscouse and Spotted Dog, by Anne Chotzinoff Grossman (A gastronomic companion with recipes for all the seafaring meals.)

Patrick O'Brian's Navy, by Richard O'Neill (A fully illustrated companion describing ships, sea life, and times of Aubrey-Maturin)

The World of Jack Aubrey, by David Miller (Twelve-pounders, frigates, cutlasses, and insignia of the His Majesty's Royal Navy)

Naturally, I have all of these. I keep Harbors and High Seas open and ready as I read the novels. All the rest are simply wonderful reads on their own, but best appreciated after enjoying the A-M series.
Thanks Rocky.
I don’t know whether to feel sorry for Russell Crowe or respect the hell out of him.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I don’t know whether to feel sorry for Russell Crowe or respect the hell out of him.

Could you explain that?
Since the sequel will really be a prequel Crowe might get a part sitting as an old man by a fireplace reminiscing with the Dr about the olds days before they cut to a flashback.
I read the entire series as well. Good stories.
For about a year, I thought I had somehow lost my DVD copy of the first movie, but found it a few weeks ago. Is Crowe going to lose weight for the role? He's like 300 pounds now.
© 24hourcampfire