Home
Posted By: jstert rethinking my ccw - 06/05/21
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ation-arrested-currently-parole-assault/

my regular ccw is either a keltec p32 32acp, ruger lcr22 or a naa bugout 22lr. ease of carry, more practice, shot placement, usually serene locales...

my surgeon brother carries a ruger sr1911 45acp religiously. he was carjacked 25 years ago by a couple of urban honor students at a florida gas station.

i am rethinking my usual choices.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/05/21
Sig P365 is hard to beat for a “small” hi-cap 9mm.
Posted By: pahick Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Anything is better than nothin. Situational awareness is a must. Never let your guard down. Around here theres always some crackhead walkin up "hey man you got $20 for gas? ill give you my lowes card..." Pistol, tire iron, bat...spray the sob with gas....just always be ready.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Yer brother is smart.
Posted By: blammer Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
min choice should be 9mm....
Posted By: jackmountain Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Hellcat or P365. Whichever you can find locally at a fair price right now. Love my hellcat.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Carry a gun
Posted By: Higginez Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Hope that gal is ok and didn't have to look at those tiddies too much.

Gawt dam!
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Full house .357 in a J-frame or the workhorse 1911. Either will make them want to go elsewhere. The flash and bang alone in the J-frame is a show stopper.
Posted By: deflave Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
G17

+2 mag.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Looking at the increasing number of multi assailant shootings, I am leaning toward carrying more bullets. Hi cap 9MM and several extra magazines. Better sights for low light situations. Much better situational awareness.
I still like my revolvers, but......
Posted By: SBTCO Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Shoulda hosed the Blob down with 87 octane starting with his face.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by jstert
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ation-arrested-currently-parole-assault/

my regular ccw is either a keltec p32 32acp, ruger lcr22 or a naa bugout 22lr. ease of carry, more practice, shot placement, usually serene locales...

my surgeon brother carries a ruger sr1911 45acp religiously. he was carjacked 25 years ago by a couple of urban honor students at a florida gas station.

i am rethinking my usual choices.

Anything is better than nothing, but I understand your assessment of your current ccw. I also carried a 1911 for years, got to the point I wanted something lighter. I now carry mostly a 365xl and one spare magazine. Also pack a 938 Sig and a couple of spare magazines when wanting something lighter and even smaller to print with shorts and a T-shirt. Lots of really good small 9mm out there now and modern ammunition stepped that caliber up a notch. Something to consider, I only carry pistols with manual safeties and Night Sights. This way I can transition between my 9mm and my .45 1911 if I want to and muscle memory is the same for each pistol. Draw, while swiping safety, aim and so on. Hoping I don't need so on, but there if needed.
Posted By: HoosierHawk Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
A man that large could easily absorb 7 rounds to the torso from a .45 and show no immediate signs of being hit, unless he took a bullet to the central nervous system (brain or spinal column) or directly into the heart.

Sometimes for big boys like that, a bullet to the pelvis/hip is the best way to stop them, trying to break the hip joint. He's still alive, but at least he ain't still standing or swinging.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
I believe in lots of available fire power, so I wear a CZ PCR with 16+1 rounds of 9mm with a spare mag.

It's all about personal choice. Anything is better than nothing.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I agree with this. I've gone from a s&w 351 pd with 5 golden Saber 125g 357 loads and another 5 in a speed loader to a 365 pd with a 12 round mag full of 124g sig Vcrowns and an extra 12 rounder full of the same. 2020 changed my thoughts on how many rounds to carry.

Bb
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by deflave
G17

+2 mag.

This.

52 rounds of 124gr +P love.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
9mm Has a proven record and there's lots of choices WHEN there's choices available.

As for a proper sidearm...
9s Comes in all shapes, sizes, colors and in a hundred variations. Sounds like you are going to need to narrow down the choices by your needs and wants.
Posted By: 16penny Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Trying to choose between kimber micro 9 and G26. For a smaller pistol
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
I'm not much for small or pocket guns; I want (reasonably fine) shootability & capacity.

I ride a motorcycle & there's an old saying, "dress for the slide, not the ride", meaning be prepared for worst case scenario.

That thinking carries over into what EDC I carry, so mostly today, I carry a S&W M&P, appendix style, with an extra mag or occasionally a Sig 229 Legion.

Both are eminently shootable, accurate & have enough capacity, plus an extra mag, for most possible encounters.

Occasionally, I will also have a BUG, J-frame hammerless.

Mouse guns, don't meet my criteria & I want nothing to do with them; a G-26/27 or Sig 365 is the bottom limit from my POV as a primary, but really, carrying the next size up is just as easy given the right holster system & attire.

MM
Posted By: Barkoff Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
How hard could it be to knock the tub of lard on his ass?
At 61, I'm positive I still could of.
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
G29.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
I've carried a 1911 for many years. I have a Wilson Combat and a Les Baer Stinger Stainless, used them both for IDPA competition but now carry a Glock G26. Much more comfortable to carry and I'm confident in it. JMHO
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
I was carrying a XDS 45 and still do on occasion. Once BLM started the peaceful protests in my area I became more concerned with multiple target situations while driving. I wanted more capacity. I settled on a choice I never would of thought. But after about 500 rounds of flawless function I had faith in the gun and the cartridge while not the best choice but at friendly distances it will do the job. It is a Keltec PMR30 22 mag. 30 rounds on board and an extra mag. Not the best for deep concealment but it will fit in the front pocket of my jeans and a untucked shirt breaks up any printing.

As for the 22 mag if it will drop a deer at 100 yards with a head or neck shot. 10 yard or under shot on some pos will be no problem. Pump off five or six rounds if need be. For multiple target situations this gun has a whole lot of bark and flash think it would be very effective crowd dispersal.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Good for you, minimum i carry is one of Wifes P365's with two spare 15 round mags stoked with 90gr Lehigh defender hand loads.
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
What about a G43X?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
A man that large could easily absorb 7 rounds to the torso from a .45 and show no immediate signs of being hit, unless he took a bullet to the central nervous system (brain or spinal column) or directly into the heart.

Sometimes for big boys like that, a bullet to the pelvis/hip is the best way to stop them, trying to break the hip joint. He's still alive, but at least he ain't still standing or swinging.

Like in Dirty White Boys?

That guy looks like that pic of Russel Crowe somebody posted yesterday.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Glock 36 in a jackass shoulder holster with 2 extra mags on the other side. Nice balance.
Posted By: ingwe Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Looking at the increasing number of multi assailant shootings, I am leaning toward carrying more bullets. Hi cap 9MM and several extra magazines. Better sights for low light situations. Much better situational awareness.
I still like my revolvers, but......

Thats me Sam. Once I found what I considered a reliably functioning semi-automatic ( GLOCK) I went over to the dark side. Hi-Cap, slimmer profile, did a trigger mod, and go....
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
A gun is an important tool.
A worthless tool without a person.

The things that are happening today change a lot of things.
But, having a gun is several clicks down the list of personal
safety issues.

I spent years as an irregular route long haul trucker.
That's means I took a load to delivery, got assigned the economically
best/next load available. Picking up wherever it was, delivering it
wherever it went. Whenever.

So I was anywhere in the lower 48 and some of Canada.
Sure as hell can't know what/where is safe under those circumstances.
Wasn't unusual to be driving city streets at 1AM. Or in a desolate
little trailer/gas station in the desert at 3 AM. (F'n creepy movie scene, only I was there. Needed a coffee and a walk, bad)

Considering that under FMSA I could never legally have a gun, and some of
the states/Canada would have locked me up for a loooong time?

The most important tool is your head.
Eyes, ears, brain.
Used correctly, most issues will be avoided.

Here's the point though.
That woman could have had an MP-5 in her hand.
It wouldn't have mattered.
She was knocked out before she knew she was in danger.
While you are seriously reconsidering gun choice, be sure you are
giving yourself a chance when out and about.

And I need to read this, twice!
With age and not leaving my "safe" rural area much,
I find myself very complacent. Getting gas, on the run,
as stupidly oblivious as that lady.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21

Yep, that was the progenitor of a whole new category of concealed carry guns that seem to represent the ideal, or sweet spot for that purpose. In my opinion, although Sig was first, the best is the S&W Shield Plus.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Find one that fits your hand and naturally points for you. High capacity is great IF you shoot them well. A good stiff gun belt and holster will make carrying more comfortable and easier.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yep, that was the progenitor of a whole new category of concealed carry guns that seem to represent the ideal, or sweet spot for that purpose. In my opinion, although Sig was first, the best is the S&W Shield Plus.

M&P Shield is a good choice , was wondering why no one has mentioned .
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

M&P Shield is a good choice , was wondering why no one has mentioned .

Are you aware of the new Plus version of the Shield, with the 10 round flush magazine, and the 13 round, slightly extended, magazine (really only extended enough to rest your pinky on)?
Posted By: gemby58 Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
Full house .357 in a J-frame or the workhorse 1911. Either will make them want to go elsewhere. The flash and bang alone in the J-frame is a show stopper.

Agree 3" model 60, 357 with 125gr gold dots or golden sabers will ruin your day plus you keep your evidence with you
Posted By: Esox357 Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
G 23
Originally Posted by Esox357
G 23

The Gen 5 G23 looks interesting, because it has a significantly thicker (and heavier) slide, thus spreading out much of the snappiness that so many complain about with the 9mm sized .40 S&W Glocks.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
G23 are decent options. The recoil is over hyped in my opinion but yes some people do not shoot them as well.
Posted By: WAM Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Yer brother is smart.

That’s why he’s a surgeon….

9mm/38 spl minimum carry
Posted By: kalbrecht Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
I used to carry a cocked and locked 1911. Now I carry a Glock 19, the 15 rounds of 9mm just seems to make more sense.
Posted By: WAM Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
I sometimes doubt the effectiveness of the expanding self defense loads so popular these days. I’m thinking most compact pistols don’t generate enough mv to expand them. Good full metal jacket loads with better penetration might be the better trick on drugged up pos like the one featured. I bet Cleophus here would not have absorbed about 5 rounds of 230 gr hardball very well without a dire conclusion. Just my musing, not an expert. Happy Trails
Posted By: Clarkm Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
25 years ago I was carrying a NAA 22 revolver in my pocket.
I had a hen go broody and I shot all the rooster chicks when they weighed about 1 pound.
I set up a benchrest 10/22 with Eagle 22LR hollow points.
If I shot them in the head or neck, they dropped.
If I shot in the body, they did not act like anything happened.

I quit carrying a 22.

Now my self defense strategy is to put 6 holes of .355" hollow point through his lungs and then outrun the perp.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by WAM
I sometimes doubt the effectiveness of the expanding self defense loads so popular these days. I’m thinking most compact pistols don’t generate enough mv to expand them. Good full metal jacket loads with better penetration might be the better trick on drugged up pos like the one featured. I bet Cleophus here would not have absorbed about 5 rounds of 230 gr hardball very well without a dire conclusion. Just my musing, not an expert. Happy Trails

Explain how fmj is superior to JHP?

If a hollowpoint doesnt open, like you rightly contend can happen.
Then, you get "better penetration". Like the fmj you tout.

Your argument fails.
Your solution to a problem of getting expansion(too much penetration?)
is to choose something that cant expand?
At least go swc. Then you get a flat meplat and shoulders.

Or am I confused?
Posted By: las Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk

He will sue you if alive.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
I’m shootin’ ya in your lungs, pal!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/06/21
Glock 19 with hi-cap mags. 17+1.

Plenty concealable.

P
Posted By: gunner500 Re: rethinking my ccw - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good for you, minimum i carry is one of Wifes P365's with two spare 15 round mags stoked with 90gr Lehigh defender hand loads.

FYI, chrono'd some of these loads this morning between the rain storms, they run 1256 fps over Longshot powder in the P365's stubby little barrel, not bad at all, recoil and muzzle flip is zilch.
© 24hourcampfire