Home
Posted By: ConradCA Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Apparently the scum who murdered 9 people in San Jose CA was bipolar and possessed a number of firearms! If you are familiar with bipolar people you know that they should never be allowed access to firearms because they frequently are insanely violent.
Posted By: deflave Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Apparently the scum who murdered 9 people in San Jose CA was bipolar and possessed a number of firearms! If you are familiar with bipolar people you know that they should never be allowed access to firearms because they frequently are insanely violent.

Why?
Posted By: DeadHead Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Typical Californian. More gun laws please!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Is that a 4473 type question?

Like PTSD?

An adjudication, right?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
i like the good old days when you could lock somebody up and tranq the f-uck out of their ass when they started acting goofing. give em the fuggen juice when things get out of hand. good old days.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
This may mean trouble nearby - a reliable neighbor told me yesterday that the guy who owns the biggest gun store in town is "bi" - who knew?
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Meh.......It's Kommiefornia.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Part of the problem we have let the weak survive and multiply. Lots of people are alive today because it is against the law to kill them so some say. This is the United States not communist china.
I’m bipolar when it comes to guns. One day I like blued steel and wood. Then, all of the sudden, I like stainless and synthetic. Sometimes, I’ll put stainless in a wood stock....
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Come on man.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Bi polar people shouldn't have guns?

What about cars?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I’m bipolar when it comes to guns. One day I like blued steel and wood. Then, all of the sudden, I like stainless and synthetic. Sometimes, I’ll put stainless in a wood stock....

That makes you more like a woman.

Grins

🦫
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

What about cars?

No knives or forks.....Only spoons.

🦫
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10

What about cars?

No knives or forks.....Only spoons.

🦫
That way they can still spoon.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Well as someone with a bipolar daughter who has witnessed many manic episodes, if you had done the same, you would not be asking.
Advocating somebody who is bipolar having access to firearms, makes you crazier than they are.

Talk to ANYONE with bipolar in the family, you would be hard pressed to find any of them who would advocate gun ownership for the bipolar.

What about cars?

Well, people who are bipolar can drive cars and they can shoot guns, they can also hear voices and talk to people who are not there. They can also believe they can fly or convince themselves a knock at the door is somebody who is there to kill their family. So I'm not going to go into cars, I have seen my daughter drive manic, up until she lost her car and had no idea where she left it, but the thought of a gun in her possession would scare the holy hell out of me,
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Im bipolar, I have two homes, one in the artic, and one in the antartic. Can I still own guns?
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Bark... you’re the odd man out here as you are speaking from real experience and not just talking out your internet a$$..

The biggest issue here would be the faith placed in the medical diagnoses of such issues...much like red flag laws where a flimsy accusation or assumption is all that’s needed to strip ones rights
Posted By: persiandog Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
I hate being Bi-Polar its awesome.
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Im bipolar, I have two homes, one in the artic, and one in the antartic. Can I still own guns?

When was your last manic episode?
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Bark... you’re the odd man out here as you are speaking from real experience and not just talking out your internet a$$..

The biggest issue here would be the faith placed in the medical diagnoses of such issues...much like red flag laws where a flimsy accusation or assumption is all that’s needed to strip ones rights

A family knows, a family knows when their family member is a danger, problem is they are powerless to do anything without red-flag laws.

I get it, I know there will be abuse of this law, but until somebody can come up with some sort of remedy.

This country has decided to leave it up to the mentally ill to decide whether or not they need help, they have STRIPPED ALL ability for families to force their loved one into treatment, they are held at the mercy of a broken system.

Laws need to be changed, but the politicians are too lazy to change them. How about this for a starter, if a person is 5150'd three times in a year, they can be forced into treatment, and have their firearms taken away until they have gone five years with no mental breakdown?

It's real easy to sit there and sing the constitution, but it is scary as [bleep] when you are living with it.
Let me put it to you guys. You have a daughter who is bipolar, you know she has a gun at home.
She comes and stays with you, because she is feeling manic. In the middle of the night you wake up to a scream. You find your daughter in an EMPTY bathtub, screaming because she says the water is too hot and is scolding her. Then she tries to leave and go home. You call the police. The police can see she is out of her gourd, but their limited training only teaches them to ask the same to BS questions that every bipolar person knows how to answer, "No I don't feel like I want to hurt myself, not I don't feel like I want to hurt anyone else."
She says she is going to leave at 1300 hour, and will go out to the highway and hitch-hike home, the police tell you that YOU CANNOT STOP HER from leaving, it is her right to do so.
So tell me what the constitution is going to do for you, and how it will help you protect your daughter and society? You know she will head home to where she has a firearm, WHAT DO YOU DO?
Originally Posted by Barkoff

What about cars?

Well, people who are bipolar can drive cars and they can shoot guns, they can also hear voices and talk to people who are not there. They can also believe they can fly or convince themselves a knock at the door is somebody who is there to kill their family. So I'm not going to go into cars, I have seen my daughter drive manic, up until she lost her car and had no idea where she left it, but the thought of a gun in her possession would scare the holy hell out of me,

I think your daughter should be able to defend herself.

If you don’t agree that’s ok. You seem like quite the dumb ass anyway.
Let me put it to you guys. You have a daughter who is bipolar, you know she has a gun at home.
She comes and stays with you, because she is feeling manic. In the middle of the night you wake up to a scream. You find your daughter in an EMPTY bathtub, screaming because she says the water is too hot and is scolding her. Then she tries to leave and go home. You call the police. The police can see she is out of her gourd, but their limited training only teaches them to ask the same to BS questions that every bipolar person knows how to answer, "No I don't feel like I want to hurt myself, not I don't feel like I want to hurt anyone else."
She says she is going to leave at 1300 hour, and will go out to the highway and hitch-hike home, the police tell you that YOU CANNOT STOP HER from leaving, it is her right to do so.
So tell me what the constitution is going to do for you, and how it will help you protect your daughter and society? You know she will head home to where she has a firearm, WHAT DO YOU DO?

Huh?
Posted By: Muffin Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21

In Florida it's called the Baker Act.............. IDK if Cali has something similar!

I can only imagine, and that probably poorly, what you are dealing with.

The Constitution protects me from the government, how well it continues to do that is another story, and it enables me to protect myself and others FROM 'others'......... that too, is being eroded!
Posted By: Stan V Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
WHAT DO YOU DO?

Got to help them find the right meds and somehow make sure that med is taken.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21

What do I do...I thank God I am not walking in your shoes.

Best of luck.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21

Shame on you!
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21

I don't think its that simple. I have two relatives who are bi-polar and neither has exhibited any violent behavior during their crazy spells. I'd be more concerned regarding them having guns around that they would commit suicide.

This is a very difficult thing and I don't think that there is going to be a good answer. Some people are crazy and should not be allowed to own guns. Who gets to define what crazy is and how crazy you can be before your guns are grabbed, is going to be hugely problematic and someone's rights are gonna get wrongly infringed without doubt.

On the other hand, with a lot of these shooters, in the aftermath, people will say "well everyone knew he was crazy and always has been".
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by Stan V
WHAT DO YOU DO?

Got to help them find the right meds and somehow make sure that med is taken.

I've read that some people who have serious mental health issues stop taking their meds because they don't like how they make them feel. Then when the drugs clear their system is when they have a breakdown.
I don't know how anyone can really make sure someone is taking their meds all the time when they are supposed to.
Originally Posted by Certifiable

A family knows, a family knows when their family member is a danger, problem is they are powerless to do anything without red-flag laws.

I get it, I know there will be abuse of this law, but until somebody can come up with some sort of remedy.

This country has decided to leave it up to the mentally ill to decide whether or not they need help, they have STRIPPED ALL ability for families to force their loved one into treatment, they are held at the mercy of a broken system.

Laws need to be changed, but the politicians are too lazy to change them. How about this for a starter, if a person is 5150'd three times in a year, they can be forced into treatment, and have their firearms taken away until they have gone five years with no mental breakdown?

It's real easy to sit there and sing the constitution, but it is scary as [bleep] when you are living with it.

Coming from you this is powerful stuff.

Yes. This is an important issue we need to deal with.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Read an op-ed in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette after one of the big
mass shootings. Written by the parent of a late teen suffering with the same
symptoms as the shooter. Titled "I Am. XXXX'S Mother". (Can't remember)

She told stories like Barkoff's.
About locking up the kitchen knives.
Literally worrying about the forks, and fire, and gas, and........
About how the only way to get authorities to do anything was to press
charges against her own son.

For being sick.
Have him jailed.
Where he would be victimized, and/or a victimizer.
Not get the treatment he needed. And then released.

She pretty much knows it's not going to get better. In anyway.
Until her son is locked up, long term. Or dead.

Know a guy who went through this with a wife.
Suddenly, bipolar.
She went nuts.
He loved her. She was crazy, couldnt help herself.
Having young kids, he had to take then and leave her.
For their sake.
Always thought how tough that would be.
Imagine divorcing someone you love, because they are sick.
Then denying access to their kids.

One of our former state mental hospitals isn't far from here.
Now, it's a state prison. Same buildings even.

Ironic.
We used to hospitalize these people.
Now we imprison them.
That property just mirrors our policies.
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Everyone has a natural right to self defense. It isn't up to anyone else to suppress their right unless it infringes on the rights of others, at which time you exercise your right to a lethal defense.

If you don't get that, read it again slowly until you do. Freedom ain't free!
Posted By: las Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Shame on you!

Wait until he puts wood into stainless...... smile
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Let me put it to you guys. You have a daughter who is bipolar....
A Bipolar diagnosis is not a yes/no thing. It's a matter of degree. A simple diagnosis, by itself, doesn't mean a whole lot.

Here's where we get into a matter of prudence. Yes, both the child and society need to be protected. But it should be done with restraint since the right to keep & bear arms is the right to self defense, which is the right to life.
it means nothing , Winston Churchill , Ted Turner, Jonathan Winters were bipolar
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
I hate being bipolar. 😡

Its awesome!
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Bipolars are not stable or rational. I knew this women who was bipolar and at first she seemed to be a lot of fun. We were at the dog park one warm day and her dog looked like it was going to get into a fight so I poured a bucket of water on it. The fighting stopped and the women said thanks for stopping it.

I went to refill my bucket of water and she attacked me without warning screaming that she was the only one who could discipline her dog. I grabbed her arms and held her away from me, but I was grateful that she didn’t have a knife or gun. Furthermore, I didn’t want to have anything to do with this crazy lady. I could see her killing me without warning for no reason.

A while latter I heard that she gave her dog away to a women and wanted it back after 4 days and the new owner refused. This crazy women put the new owner’s 90 year old father in the hospital. They went to court and she got her dog back and a court order banning her from the dog park.

This is why bipolars shouldn’t be allowed to have guns and you avoid having anything to do with them.
Well as someone with a bipolar daughter who has witnessed many manic episodes, if you had done the same, you would not be asking. Advocating somebody who is bipolar having access to firearms, makes you crazier than they are. Talk to ANYONE with bipolar in the family, you would be hard pressed to find any of them who would advocate gun ownership for the bipolar.
What about cars?
Barkoff, I understand and agree, and certainly empathize with your concerns and the challenges you are dealing with. For me, the term "bi-polar" normally signals manic/depressive symptoms and the related mood swings. However, the behavior you explain above seems much more difficult - seems to signal a secondary and deeper psychosis. Wishing you the best as you persevere.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21

Would be a decent funny if you knew how to spell either place.

Arctic and Antarctic
Originally Posted by slumlord

Would be a decent funny if you knew how to spell either place

Arctic and Antarctic

His way is funnier
Well some of you want to tap dance around reality, but I can attest to this. Yes, most families know when their family member is a danger to themselves and to others, yet, you want to keep them powerless to do anything about it, worried more about your 2nd amendment rights. But comes a time we had better adjust to the rise in mental illness and mass shooting, or you WILL lose the hearts and minds of the general public.

The amount of mental illness is on a sharp upswing, but many of you refuse to acknowledge this and make any adjustments.. ultimately it will people just like you who refuse to acknowledge reality, who will be the cause for more and more people willing to let government to strip those rights from people who are NOT mentally ill.

The idea that you would argue against people prone to manic episodes, having limited access to firearms, is pure hardheaded ignorance. You have no idea what you are dealing with.

I know a girl who once jumped off a cruise ship because she believed she could fly, and yet you would oppose taking her right to firearms away until she can convince doctors she is stable? Nobody should have the right to curtail her rights to possess firearms?

Time and time again, we see bipolar people go off and kill people in mass, and you advocate for nothing, no changes? Good luck with that boys.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
If someone is so far gone with a mental illness that they become dangerous, what would stop them from knifing someone? Bashing someone's head in with a table lamp? Pushing kids into oncoming traffic? Driving down a crowded sidewalk in a car?

The sad but necessary answer is to lock them up somewhere.
Well some of you want to tap dance around reality, but I can attest to this. Yes, most families know when their family member is a danger to themselves and to others, yet, you want to keep them powerless to do anything about it, worried more about your 2nd amendment rights. But comes a time we had better adjust to the rise in mental illness and mass shooting, or you WILL lose the hearts and minds of the general public.

The amount of mental illness is on a sharp upswing, but many of you refuse to acknowledge this and make any adjustments.. ultimately it will people just like you who refuse to acknowledge reality, who will be the cause for more and more people willing to let government to strip those rights from people who are NOT mentally ill.

The idea that you would argue against people prone to manic episodes, having limited access to firearms, is pure hardheaded ignorance. You have no idea what you are dealing with.

I know a girl who once jumped off a cruise ship because she believed she could fly, and yet you would oppose taking her right to firearms away until she can convince doctors she is stable? Nobody should have the right to curtail her rights to possess firearms?

Time and time again, we see bipolar people go off and kill people in mass, and you advocate for nothing, no changes? Good luck with that boys.

What a deep thinker.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
If a person has been adjudicated incompetent to safely possess a firearm they should be locked up.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21

What about cars?

Sorry, but I fail to see much of a difference............... Except: The manic/bi-polar, schizophrenic, whatever, with a gun you kinda know that your in a dangerous spot, whether you know they're sick or not.

But the same one coming at you from the opposite lane, you have no clue 'til it's over.......

IMHO, with no intent to offend.
Originally Posted by SBTCO
If a person has been adjudicated incompetent to safely possess a firearm they should be locked up.

There’s a crazy idea.
When the universities ramped up the offerings and enrollment in "behavioral counseling" and "clinical psychology" courses and programs they created potential employees for jobs not available. By coincidence, that development was paralleled by the huge move - pushed hard by the psychiatric "experts" - to change the protocols and not remove from society those who are harmful to themselves and others. The numbers in many mental institutions were depleted and many institutions closed which, in turn, accommodated these new "clinicians" who could treat the mentally ill with drugs and counseling, and etc.

Those who created this problem for their own selfish purposes now want to turn a blind eye to the outcomes they have produced - as well-described here by Barkoff. Look around - see the huge increase in situations not being experienced 40 years ago. Review the recent and ongoing multiple murder and mayhem scenes perpetrated by such sick folks, take a city bus ride some night at 9pm from downtown Seattle to Burien and experience the socially advanced on the bus, look at the tent encampments and human detritus roaming in numerous cities, and that is not the full spread of the outcomes.

This is the new/improved mental health reality foisted upon you by the learned experts - merely self-serving and needy/greedy assumed "professionals". Who is going to fix this bad one?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by CCCC
When the universities ramped up the offerings and enrollment in "behavioral counseling" and "clinical psychology" courses and programs they created potential employees for jobs not available. By coincidence, that development was paralleled by the huge move - pushed hard by the psychiatric "experts" - to change the protocols and not remove society those who are harmful to themselves and others. The numbers in many mental institutions were depleted and many institutions closed which, in turn, accommodated these new "clinicians" who could treat the mentally ill with drugs and counseling, and etc.

Those who created this problem for their own selfish purposes now want to turn a blind eye to the outcomes they have produced - as well-described here by Barkoff. Look around - see the huge increase in situations not being experienced 40 years ago. Review the recent and ongoing multiple murder and mayhem scenes perpetrated by such sick folks, take a city bus ride some night at 9pm from downtown Seattle to Burien and experience the socially advanced on the bus, look at the tent encampments and human detritus roaming in numerous cities, and that is not the full spread of the outcomes.

This is the new/improved mental health reality foisted upon you by the learned experts - merely self-serving and needy/greedy assumed "professionals". Who is going to fix this bad one?
Don't fail to mention the government's complicity. They were more than willing to do away with the costly maintenance of mental institutions in favor of psychotropics. Less money put into mental health means more money in their pockets. The tax payer only sees taxes increase.

What Barkoff and others fail to realize is that it's already against the law for mentally ill folks to own or otherwise access guns.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
If the general thought process of California is represented in this thread I can see why they so embrace the government they have.

Red flag laws. So if you have a flaming liberal for kin that wants everyone to give their guns up and decides to claim you have a mental illness then you lose your guns just where is the justice in that?
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
From what I have seen of mental illness. Therapy does not work 90 percent of the time. Drugs work until they quit taking them. They quit taking them because they make them feel weird. Just like most of don't like taking drugs because they make us feel weird. The problem arises when they are so mentally ill they can't function without the drugs that make them feel weird. Its a issue and it is very discouraging that you cannot get help for them. Does that mean they shouldn't have a right to protect themselves. No but each case is different some should not have access to weapons some are just fine. I don't have a answer to the question but there is a need for hospitals for some of these people. Jail is not the answer unless they have committed a major crime. Often they are locked up for small crimes because families don't know what to do with them.
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/06/21
Had a guy for a few months at work before he wigged out.

Full blown schizophrenia, complete bat [bleep] crazy.

He legally drove a car to work every day, but he couldn’t own a gun I thought that was a little backwards.

But I’m not scared of guns.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/07/21
Are we talking about bipolar or is it schizophrenia. The girl this thread was predicated on sounds completely out of touch with reality at least at times. My first mother in law was bi-polar and very manipulative and difficult to deal with. I guess there are degrees of it but I did not know that bi-polar made you lose touch with reality.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by deflave

What about cars?

I think your daughter should be able to defend herself.

If you don’t agree that’s ok. [[ You seem like quite the dumb ass anyway.
]] WHO IS THE DUMB ASZ HERE??

bARKOF i FEEL FOR YOU MAN not an easy life for you or her
Posted By: CCCC Re: Bipolar Gun Owners? - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by Hastings
Are we talking about bipolar or is it schizophrenia. The girl this thread was predicated on sounds completely out of touch with reality at least at times. My first mother in law was bi-polar and very manipulative and difficult to deal with. I guess there are degrees of it but I did not know that bi-polar made you lose touch with reality.
I mentioned this difference earlier. For years, the tern "bi polar" normally was used to designate the manic/depressive syndrome - the "high/low" fluctuation manifested in those who had a difficult time maintaining a reasonable level of psychological stability and comfort - who tended to be overly active/occupied for a while and then rather suddenly swing to a depressed state. Difficult way to live and sometimes more than exasperating for the spouse/family. Normally this syndrome is not the deep psychosis that causes behavior dangerous to others, and some drugs work very well in aiding control and stability for these folks.

When psychotic conditions deepen into schizophrenia, multiple personalities, psychotic neurosis and derangement to the point of sociopathic threat, etc. the drug control is much more complicated and variable, and most of the so-called "counseling" is practically useless.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

That makes you more like a woman.

Grins

🦫

I take way longer to get ready....
© 24hourcampfire