Home
Brutal, heartless, cruel birds of prey. Killing little bleating lambs for sport and pleasure.

Sheep farmers on the other hand .... nobody likes stinkin sheep farmers, do they? Except Mary of course.

Same state that recently passed a culling law on gray wolves.

I get so confused when mankind tries to rule over mother nature. And the lefties are ALWAYS trying to do it, every aspect of our lives.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/bald-eagles-massacre-sheep
Raptors have done well for years now. Pretty sure they're part of the reason wild turkey populations are struggling.
Emotion and politics have no place in proper wildlife management.

Unfortunately, that all that liberals operate on.
Where is Elmer Kieth when you need him.
eagles, should have a bounty on them
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Raptors have done well for years now. Pretty sure they're part of the reason wild turkey populations are struggling.

Exactly where are wild turkey populations struggling?

I live thirty minutes from the WTF (Wild Turkey Federation) and have not heard a peep from anyone over there about a struggling turkey population ... wild turkeys are everywhere around here in SC. We set a record harvest this year with some monster birds.

At the same time we have more bald eagles and chicken hawks, red tails and sea hawks, than we've ever had. They're talking about us having so many male baldies that other states are looking to transplant some into their states .... just like they did with the turkeys 100 years ago. Running the diversion canal between the upper and lower lake at Santee Cooper is like walking down Haye Street in 1975 with all the airborne hard dicks lined up looking for patooty in Fayetteville ... there must be 75 baldy males along that canal waiting for fishermen to dump fish guts and heads at the marinas.

I've got a breeding pair on my big pond and the turkeys around here laugh at them. But you should see those birds take a catfish or a carp out of that pond ... it is amazing.

Now, little dogs, pets, feral cats, snakes .... stray chickens, yeah, their lives are always in danger. We recently even had a report of one of the big males taking a spotted fawn along the side of the road as a car was coming upon it and its doe. Someone down the road a mile or two away claims they lost their cocker spaniel to a baldy. A couple of Mexicans who raise gamecocks back in the woods for illegal fights claim that a big male comes into their place and takes their roosters at will .... but what the heck, that cock fighting pisses me off anyways.

There are two more breeding pairs over on the big lake that I know of and more breeding pairs up both rivers that feed the lake ... the bald eagles are doing quite well here in SC ... and so are the turkeys friend.

What hurts turkeys are the yotes and the fireants ... same for the quail. Wild pigs too. They'll eat the heck outta turkey and quail eggs. So we've been puttin' a hurtin' on wild pigs and yotes since they opened up the season on both to 24/7/365.

ETA: seriously, that sheep farmer in Idaho has done something to anger those birds ... they sending him a message. There is more to that story than anyone is letting-on. Eagles live in harmony with humans ... that sheep farmer did something to those birds. And it's not because of the late ice, that's bravo sierra.
Eagles don't live in harmony with humans, facts are they've been known to attach kids and pets. All varmints need killing. I've seen a red tail hawk eating a turkey poult. Our turkey population has been down for some reason the last few years, my guess is it's just a cycle.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Eagles don't live in harmony with humans, facts are they've been known to attach kids and pets. All varmints need killing. I've seen a red tail hawk eating a turkey poult. Our turkey population has been down for some reason the last few years, my guess is it's just a cycle.
Exactly. Hawks, owls and eagles need to be controlled. Our turkey population has decreased by 40% over the last 10 years. NYDEC has reduced our fall season from a two bird limit to one and also cut the length of the season from 7 weeks to 2 weeks in response. Last I heard they are still studying the causes but believe West Nile virus may be killing a significant number off.
So might I ask once again ... where are these turkey populations that are decreasing that some of you speak of?

Be specific if you don't mind. At least name the states and provide some links ... or it didn't frickin' happen boys.

Pesticides, yeah maybe. Fireants, wild pigs and yotes ... yeah, no doubt.

But it's not the birds of prey. So just stop it.

In the meantime I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll call over and talk to a friend of mine higher up at the WTF and see if I can come over for a visit and view his latest population numbers ... perhaps he'll even let me take a picture of his wall. I wanna hear all about these murdering damn bald eagles decimating the turkey populations across the land.

Lol
Like anything else birds of prey need to be hunted. When you see one on every other fence post that’s not good. Pheasants, quail, etc have all but disappeared in places because of to many birds of prey.
Originally Posted by SCRooster
So might I ask once again ... where are these turkey populations that are decreasing that some of you speak of?

Be specific if you don't mind. At least name the states and provide some links ... or it didn't frickin' happen boys.

In the meantime I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll call over and talk to a friend of mine higher up at the WTF and see if I can come over for a visit and view his latest population numbers ... perhaps he'll even let me take a picture of his wall. I wanna hear all about these murdering damn bald eagles decimating the turkey populations across the land.

Lol

Predators are well... Predators.

The nature of things is that eagles, hawks, owls, coyotes, bobcats, and whatever is considered a predator, can and will kill what it can to survive.

It's the way nature works.

When humans involve themselves in too much protection of predators, imbalances occur.

Emotions and politics.

Which of those two motivate you? wink
I live in western New Jersey farm country, corn and soybean all over with small hardwood ridges covered with oak, hickory and beech trees. Turkey population was pretty large a couple of years ago, I could ride around and see several flocks of 40-50 birds. I haven't seen many birds in the last 3 or 4 years.

We now have bobcats, bears, coyotes, fox, eagles, ospreys, hawks, owls, raccoons and skunks all over my 500 acre gun club down the road about a mile. Heck, I jumped a doe and new born fawn the other day, the next day I jumped the doe and no fawn.

Predators are even killing the feral cats that people dump on our place. It isn't going to get better unless we start doing some predator control.
Armadillos and yotes are hitting our local turkey pops hard.

Nests and poults respectively.

Lol

youre wrong. the duck hunting along our river has drastically been altered in quality in the last 8 -10 years. we routinely have eagles perching in trees above decoys, hell i have ahd them dive bomb dekes thinking they were real birds. hawks, owls, eagls all need to be managed through killing just like every other predator

Lol
It doesn't take much research to find out turkey populations have been on the decline in several Eastern states over the last 10-20 years.

ETA: seriously, that sheep farmer in Idaho has done something to anger those birds ... they sending him a message. There is more to that story than anyone is letting-on. Eagles live in harmony with humans ... that sheep farmer did something to those birds. And it's not because of the late ice, that's bravo sierra.

Lol, Holy fuqk me!
Originally Posted by slumlord

I've never heard of Armadillos eating anything but bugs, might eat the occasional egg I guess. I've caught them by tossing pebbles in front of them, they think it's a bug, just keep tossing them closer to you till you can grab them by the tail. They can't see very well.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Lol, Holy fuqk me!

I know, right? whistle
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Lol
It doesn't take much research to find out turkey populations have been on the decline in several Eastern states over the last 10-20 years.

Big hawks and great horned owls slaughter turkeys and their poults.
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Lol

youre wrong. the duck hunting along our river has drastically been altered in quality in the last 8 -10 years. we routinely have eagles perching in trees above decoys, hell i have ahd them dive bomb dekes thinking they were real birds. hawks, owls, eagls all need to be managed through killing just like every other predator

That wouldnt be bleeding fart preservationism and is too logical for big city folks like Screwster.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Lol, Holy fuqk me!

I know, right? whistle

Just ask them, they know everything - wrong.

Disney and Discovery Channel expurts.

They're talking about us having so many male baldies that other states are looking to transplant some into their states .... just like they did with the turkeys 100 years ago. Running the diversion canal between the upper and lower lake at Santee Cooper is like walking down Haye Street in 1975 with all the airborne hard dicks lined up looking for patooty in Fayetteville ... there must be 75 baldy males along that canal waiting for fishermen to dump fish guts and heads at the marinas.

Wow cool. In the last few years I have seen bald eagles fishing around the Georgia coast, but nothing like that.....just one or two on occassion. I was up close to the eagle mascot at Georgia Southern several years ago and got a good look at it. His handler was bringing him through the crowd at a ball game for whatever reason. Those things are huge. What impressed me the most was the feet. Could do some serious damage.
Big Bald Eagles are not the males
Should one have a real problem w raptors, why would you even speak of it on a public forum? I’m betting you know what I mean. Have a great week all.

Lol, Holy fuqk me!

I know, right? whistle

PETA? BTW, the biggest issue for turkeys are the nest robbers. Particularly raccoons. If raccoons were people they would all be in prison, they are thugs of the first order. We need more trappers willing to trap nest robbers like coons and skunks. Same for crow hunters, dang crows pillage a turkey next too.
"We can't just let Nature run wild!" : Walter Hickle
Local guy lost a calf a few years back.

The calf (remains of) was found across the river, at the base of an old snag tree with an eagle nest in the top of it.

The calf was a very small newborn. The eagles were goldens.

And yes, it has always been known that bald eagles will steal lambs and baby goats, or fawns, or cats, or small dogs, or elk calves, etc, etc. 'Tis why Elmer used to shoot them.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
that wouldn't be bleeding fart preservationism and is too logical for big city folks like Screwster.

Well, just to illustrate your ignorance in as clear and concise of a mental picture as possible ....

My heart bleeds for nothing except my family, close friends and loved ones ... and my dogs, my horses. And I had this pet chicken one time back in the 50s that I saved from the slaughter .... but, other than that, nah, my heart doesn't bleed.

My heart "broke" (didn't bleed) one time, just graduated from college and was about to take my commission and my girlfriend, greatest T&A in history, green eyes, dirty blonde hair, big luscious lips ... could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch ... she broke up with me four days before I shipped out to my first duty station at Bragg ... the bitch. I almost fapped myself to death for the next two weeks ... then I met my first wife at Bragg. She broke my bank account, made my bank account bleed twenty years later ... but not my heart.

I don't like it when whales or elephants are killed .... I see no purpose in it whatsoever. But I have no problems with killing, no qualms with it whatsoever. I've done it most of my life.

I've not lived in a big city in my entire life. The two largest were probably in the military, Fayetteville, NC and Vicenza, Italy. I mean the wife and I had condos in Honolulu and Naples when she was still working for a big multinational ... but I never considered those places as "living there." We were back and forth so much I just looked at them as three and four and five month vacations when we bounced back and forth between the two.

So strike two on your bullshit perception skills ... Kreskin or Uri Gellar, or whomever it is that you are claiming to be that affords you these extra sensory perception skills of yours.

What I do, where I live, is on my 600+ acre chicken farm with 16 chicken houses that currently have about half a million chickens in them, some of which may eventually end-up in your fat ass no doubt.

In the lower pasture I have, right now, 71 head of grass fed red Angus grazing. We'll be moving them up to the upper pasture this week ... where the big pond is, where the breeding pair of eagles have nested ... we need them up there before the heat sets in for the summer and before we head to our place on Devil's Lake in Michigan later this month through mid July.

So .... again, you're full of bravo sierra.

Next comes the bit about the NWTF guys being bleeding hearts. There couldn't be a more false accusation. They're all good guys. Hell, even the chubby blonde event planning lady is as staunchly Conservative as the rest of us. Hardcore conservatives, hunters, fishermen. Being a conservationist does not make one a libtard. Plenty of us are into game management ... numbnuts. So careful who you call a bleeding heart liberal ... you never know when you'll do it to the wrong man irl and he'll make you pay for flapping those gums of yours.

So I dunno ... am I telling the truth? Or were you?

I'm calling you a liar.

In the meantime I've got a call-in to **** ********, a very well respected turkey biologist who specializes in their north American existence and habitat and has written a number of papers on every aspect of the north american wild turkey ... I met him at a fundraiser ... and we'll see who is full of [bleep].

**** is very familiar with the bald eagle population in this state as well, along with the other dozen predatory birds we have here.

Lol ... I wanna hear all about these birds plucking innocent babies from their mother's arms and murdering turkeys just for the sake of killing.

I've been all over the world. Fought in places that had every kind of dangerous critter known to man and one thing I learned ... no wild single species kills randomly or for sport on this planet except for one ... man. Humans. Are there occasionally rogues in various species that get pissed-off and exact revenge for something or other? Absolutely, I've seen it from both a big cat in South America and a big brownie in Alaska. But it is humans that do what some of you are claiming ... not birds.

:::::::: long pause :::::::

So my call was returned. We spoke a long time. Really fun conversation. Great guy. I blanked out his name because he just doesn't have the time to field a bunch of calls from the Internet.

What he told me was, and he used a lot of big words that I'll never be able to spell much less remember or pronounce but ... I'll do my best to keep it short and sweet and in layman's terms.

So the Golden eagles have been known to hit a turkey or two but the north American turkey population is in no way in danger .... not even close. It is thriving and thriving everywhere.

I was wrong in a previous post about yotes and pigs and fireants killing more turkeys than anything .... the actual answer is raccoons and it's not even close. They are the number one turkey predator on this continent.

We both laughed at the claims of eagles killing infant children .... it's all BS. He said there was a 3D fake video made some years ago that was bogus that is apparently what everyone is referencing. And that maybe an Osprey attacked someone on a beach some years ago and scratched that person ... but all the rest of the stories are legend and myth.

He had a long scientific name for what the eagles are doing to the sheep ... he said turkeys do the same thing when teaching their young to look for food, etc., except it's bugs instead of sheep.

I mean the conversation went on and on ... great guy.

I am absolutely lulzing at every idiot who claims these eagles are vicious murdering child killing for sport predators.

We even talked about what a huge mistake it is going to be if Idaho allows 90% of the wolves up there to be slaughtered. And we talked about the wild horse slaughter.

I've always been fairly convinced that humans, as a whole, are idiots. Some in this thread, and a couple of you PMing me claiming I have no compassion for the innocent children being slaughtered by eagles .... ho li [bleep] have you reinforced my belief that a great many humans are walking talking embicles. I'm tempted to publish your names and PMs to this thread just to illustrate to the other sane ones out here what fricking fruitcakes you are. Lol

Originally Posted by MOGC
PETA? BTW, the biggest issue for turkeys are the nest robbers. Particularly raccoons. If raccoons were people they would all be in prison, they are thugs of the first order. We need more trappers willing to trap nest robbers like coons and skunks. Same for crow hunters, dang crows pillage a turkey next too.

Yep ... you nailed that. It is raccoons big time. I've never been a fan of coon hunting because it is not humane imho but I have no problem taking them out.

I've always been fairly convinced that humans, as a whole, are idiots.

Not sure what else you rambled on about. Not gonna read a novel, but you certainly seem to fit your own criteria.

I read everything from you that I needed to when you wrote this gem:

seriously, that sheep farmer in Idaho has done something to anger those birds ... they sending him a message. There is more to that story than anyone is letting-on. Eagles live in harmony with humans ... that sheep farmer did something to those birds. And it's not because of the late ice, that's bravo sierra.

I'm interested in exactly when eagles got emotions, the ability to reason, and far beyond that, the ability to plot and execute revenge.

Perhaps your next novel can enlighten us.

A friend of mine said that in the 60s when he started elk hunting in Colorado golden eagles did have a bounty of them.
I've never been a fan of coon hunting because it is not humane imho

Really?

Write us a novel about how coon hunting isn't humane. We are all on the edge of our seats. smile

In the meantime, here's something for you to get upset over...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No doubt about it .

Lol

Agree 100%

We had seven bald eagles around us and in a field last year. Crazy that these things are protected. In discussing with our landowner he said to just shoot them. I told him I didn't want to go to prison, but thought about it.

Lol

We have a fraction of the wild turkey we once had in my area of Missouri. Eagles have been a part of that decline.
I'm interested in exactly when eagles got emotions, the ability to reason, and far beyond that, the ability to plot and execute revenge.

Nah ... I'll spare you the lesson. You already know everything there is to know about wildlife, nature, animal instincts, etc. And you've already admitted your ADD issues and reading comprehension issues ... so nah, it would be a waste of my time.

Nah ... I'll spare you the lesson. You already know everything there is to know about wildlife, nature, animal instincts, etc. And you've already admitted your ADD issues and reading comprehension issues ... so nah, it would be a waste of my time.

It'd sure be a waste of your time. We agree on something. Finally.

Bet I have a tad more experience than you with wildlife though. wink
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

The calf (remains of) was found across the river, at the base of an old snag tree with an eagle nest in the top of it.

And yes, it has always been known that bald eagles will steal lambs and baby goats, or fawns, or cats, or small dogs, or elk calves, etc, etc. 'Tis why Elmer used to shoot them.

That's true ... but they don't do enough damage for it to matter. The incidents are few and far between.

So you've always been a reasonable poster. And since I am ignoring the idiots who claim birds do not feel anger or exact revenge .... here's a question for any reasonable person reading this thread.

Ever had a bird dive bomb you? I mean randomly pick you out of a crowd and just get after you? Happens along our beaches all the time. We see it along the SC coast all the time but it is so random and kinda vicious when it happens it has puzzled people for awhile.

Indians had these legends about Thunderbirds ... I'm half Texan, this family that used to work on my grandparent's ranch back in the 50s told me about the Thunderbirds of legend. Always peaked my interest.

You see actual bird attacks on YouTube these days ... usually it's a bird getting after one specific kid, daily sometimes ... people always speculate why. Well, birds do it to dogs too ... we've all seen it right? They just get a case of the ass at one thing and they hold a grudge for a long time.

Ever wonder what that is and why they do it?
that wouldn't be bleeding fart preservationism and is too logical for big city folks like Screwster.

Well, just to illustrate your ignorance in as clear and concise of a mental picture as possible ....

My heart bleeds for nothing except my family, close friends and loved ones ... and my dogs, my horses. And I had this pet chicken one time back in the 50s that I saved from the slaughter .... but, other than that, nah, my heart doesn't bleed.

My heart "broke" (didn't bleed) one time, just graduated from college and was about to take my commission and my girlfriend, greatest T&A in history, green eyes, dirty blonde hair, big luscious lips ... could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch ... she broke up with me four days before I shipped out to my first duty station at Bragg ... the bitch. I almost fapped myself to death for the next two weeks ... then I met my first wife at Bragg. She broke my bank account, made my bank account bleed twenty years later ... but not my heart.

I don't like it when whales or elephants are killed .... I see no purpose in it whatsoever. But I have no problems with killing, no qualms with it whatsoever. I've done it most of my life.

I've not lived in a big city in my entire life. The two largest were probably in the military, Fayetteville, NC and Vicenza, Italy. I mean the wife and I had condos in Honolulu and Naples when she was still working for a big multinational ... but I never considered those places as "living there." We were back and forth so much I just looked at them as three and four and five month vacations when we bounced back and forth between the two.

So strike two on your bullshit perception skills ... Kreskin or Uri Gellar, or whomever it is that you are claiming to be that affords you these extra sensory perception skills of yours.

What I do, where I live, is on my 600+ acre chicken farm with 16 chicken houses that currently have about half a million chickens in them, some of which may eventually end-up in your fat ass no doubt.

In the lower pasture I have, right now, 71 head of grass fed red Angus grazing. We'll be moving them up to the upper pasture this week ... where the big pond is, where the breeding pair of eagles have nested ... we need them up there before the heat sets in for the summer and before we head to our place on Devil's Lake in Michigan later this month through mid July.

Next comes the bit about the NWTF guys being bleeding hearts. There couldn't be a more false accusation. They're all good guys. Hell, even the chubby blonde event planning lady is as staunchly Conservative as the rest of us. Hardcore conservatives, hunters, fishermen. Being a conservationist does not make one a libtard. Plenty of us are into game management ... numbnuts. So careful who you call a bleeding heart liberal ... you never know when you'll do it to the wrong man irl and he'll make you pay for flapping those gums of yours.

I'm calling you a liar.

In the meantime I've got a call-in to **** ********, a very well respected turkey biologist who specializes in their north American existence and habitat and has written a number of papers on every aspect of the north american wild turkey ... I met him at a fundraiser ... and we'll see who is full of [bleep].

**** is very familiar with the bald eagle population in this state as well, along with the other dozen predatory birds we have here.

Lol ... I wanna hear all about these birds plucking innocent babies from their mother's arms and murdering turkeys just for the sake of killing.

I've been all over the world. Fought in places that had every kind of dangerous critter known to man and one thing I learned ... no wild single species kills randomly or for sport on this planet except for one ... man. Humans. Are there occasionally rogues in various species that get pissed-off and exact revenge for something or other? Absolutely, I've seen it from both a big cat in South America and a big brownie in Alaska. But it is humans that do what some of you are claiming ... not birds.

So my call was returned. We spoke a long time. Really fun conversation. Great guy. I blanked out his name because he just doesn't have the time to field a bunch of calls from the Internet.

What he told me was, and he used a lot of big words that I'll never be able to spell much less remember or pronounce but ... I'll do my best to keep it short and sweet and in layman's terms.

So the Golden eagles have been known to hit a turkey or two but the north American turkey population is in no way in danger .... not even close. It is thriving and thriving everywhere.

I was wrong in a previous post about yotes and pigs and fireants killing more turkeys than anything .... the actual answer is raccoons and it's not even close. They are the number one turkey predator on this continent.

We both laughed at the claims of eagles killing infant children .... it's all BS. He said there was a 3D fake video made some years ago that was bogus that is apparently what everyone is referencing. And that maybe an Osprey attacked someone on a beach some years ago and scratched that person ... but all the rest of the stories are legend and myth.

He had a long scientific name for what the eagles are doing to the sheep ... he said turkeys do the same thing when teaching their young to look for food, etc., except it's bugs instead of sheep humping sister bangers.

I am absolutely lulzing at every idiot who claims these eagles are vicious murdering child killing for sport predators.

We even talked about what a huge mistake it is going to be if Idaho allows 90% of the wolves up there to be slaughtered. And we talked about the wild horse slaughter.

I've always been fairly convinced that humans, as a whole, are idiots. Some in this thread, and a couple of you PMing me claiming I have no compassion for the innocent children being slaughtered by eagles .... ho li [bleep] have you reinforced my belief that a great many humans are walking talking embicles. I'm tempted to publish your names and PMs to this thread just to illustrate to the other sane ones out here what fricking fruitcakes you are. Lol

Great post/curb stomp.

No, friend, you're wrong.

The predatory birds may be there hunting the ducks like they have been for 1000s of years, I don't doubt that ... but the predatory birds are not having any negative impact on other wild birds.

That's not how nature works.

No species in the wild will eradicate its food source to the point of causing its own extinction. Not even viruses and bacterium have the ability to completely kill off humans because humans will always have at least a small segment of its population survive through natural immunity.

It cannot happen in nature. It is a virtual impossibility. What some of you are describing, or claiming, is that there are now more predatory birds in the wild than there are food source birds on which they feed ... or you are claiming a 10:1 ration even ... or 100:1 or whatever, and that is virtually impossible.
Had a nesting pair of Mockingbirds get a case of the ass against my wife
and very young daughter.

Little ones in the next and all.

Gave them two days.

Damn shame about those little buggers in the nest.
Dam shame their parents were idiots.

In the prickish word of Little Twig.

Hint!

I'm calling you a liar.

He had a long scientific name for what the eagles are doing to the sheep ... he said turkeys do the same thing when teaching their young to look for food, etc., except it's bugs instead of sheep.

You and your new buddy are full of shirt. I'm not guessing when I say that the turkey population is down in middle Georgia, I live in the woods and manage our properties for deer and turkey. As a matter of fact I've seen 3 hens and bunches poults today, one hen had 14 poults from 2 different clutches. You must have never seen a catch dog get on a litter of piglets and kill them all, alligators, lions, bears kill their young. Your just another book smart, educated dummy.
Consodering that bald eagles are symbolic of American greatness, I'm surprised they don't serve Cajun fried eagle sliders at Popeye's yet.

No, friend, you're wrong.

The predatory birds may be there hunting the ducks like they have been for 1000s of years, I don't doubt that ... but the predatory birds are not having any negative impact on other wild birds.

That's not how nature works.

No species in the wild will eradicate its food source to the point of causing its own extinction. Not even viruses and bacterium have the ability to completely kill off humans because humans will always have at least a small segment of its population survive through natural immunity.

It cannot happen in nature. It is a virtual impossibility. What some of you are describing, or claiming, is that there are now more predatory birds in the wild than there are food source birds on which they feed ... or you are claiming a 10:1 ration even ... or 100:1 or whatever, and that is virtually impossible.

Predatory birds are just one piece of the predator puzzle. You have to be relentless on varmints of every type. We have a 8' high fence around our dove field to keep the deer out. When I see a deer inside the fence it becomes a predator, same as all the hawkd that hunt while sitting on the corner posts.
Someone needs to post the video of the bald Eagle attacking the Turkey decoy I saw a couple weeks back.

Lol

Right here in the county I live in we have better than a 50% reduction in turkeys.

Drove around a 320 acre lake this winter and counted 8 baldies, no waterfowl of any sort on the lake.

Treat birds of prey just like we do 4 legged predators and we would see an increase in turkeys and rabbits/quail.

30 years ago we started getting tons of turkeys around here. never remember seeing an eagle until 15-20 years ago, now I see at least 1 a day and we don't see or kill near the turkeys we did before we started seeing eagles. They need controlled just like we control other wildlife.

Ya, the eagles prob'ly had a meeting and decided on strategy, before sending some of those "big males" to carry out the hit.

As for those Mexicans, the presumption should be that they are already shotgunning any bird of prey drawn in by them tethered roosters, there's big money in fighting chickens.
I live on a farm and see hawks and owls every day. Back in the 60s and 70s every farm boy kept a gun in his truck and no hawk or owl was safe. Today our young people are indoors playing some computer game. One rarely sees a young person riding the roads around the farm. We had quail and an abundance of rabbits back then. No quail in my area now, and few rabbits. Go figure....

That's true ... but they don't do enough damage for it to matter. The incidents are few and far between.

So you've always been a reasonable poster. And since I am ignoring the idiots who claim birds do not feel anger or exact revenge .... here's a question for any reasonable person reading this thread.

Ever had a bird dive bomb you? I mean randomly pick you out of a crowd and just get after you? Happens along our beaches all the time. We see it along the SC coast all the time but it is so random and kinda vicious when it happens it has puzzled people for awhile.

Indians had these legends about Thunderbirds ... I'm half Texan, this family that used to work on my grandparent's ranch back in the 50s told me about the Thunderbirds of legend. Always peaked my interest.

You see actual bird attacks on YouTube these days ... usually it's a bird getting after one specific kid, daily sometimes ... people always speculate why. Well, birds do it to dogs too ... we've all seen it right? They just get a case of the ass at one thing and they hold a grudge for a long time.

Ever wonder what that is and why they do it?

The ranchers and farmers of ages ago just set out hunting and shooting wolves and bears lions and iggles and chicken hawks because they had nothing better to do. Too bad they werent as smart as you.
Truth is you dont have a clue.
Run your mouth, Schiett Can Rooster. There are plenty of folks here who know more than you and they know youre a loudmouthed fool too.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Don't forget the racoons, skunks, possums that aren't hunted/trapped like they used to be. Eggs and poults are outnumbered.

KC
Something else killing allot of game and birds is cats. It pays to shoot every one of them you see prowling the woods.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

You and your new buddy are full of shirt. I'm not guessing when I say that the turkey population is down in middle Georgia, I live in the woods and manage our properties for deer and turkey. As a matter of fact I've seen 3 hens and bunches poults today, one hen had 14 poults from 2 different clutches. You must have never seen a catch dog get on a litter of piglets and kill them all, alligators, lions, bears kill their young. Your just another book smart, educated dummy.

You're ... "You're just another book-smart educated dummy." Just saying.

My "buddy" and I, whom I've only met at a NWTF fundraiser, is one of the leading certified wildlife biologists in the country and he specializes in wild turkeys. We're big on our wild turkeys around here.

Many many many things contribute to reductions in populations on a cyclical basis ... including climate, food shortages, pesticides and even underbrush and invasive species of underbrush that limit movement within their natural habitat.

Lol ... I had today to enter into this conversation because of the bad weather. It's gone on long enough. Anyone in this thread claiming predatory birds are having massive nationwide negative impacts on the turkey population or the duck population or the quail or partridge or pheasant populations .... or the sheep populations or the infant child populations hahahalaollololloolol .... I mean lol but God Bless ya. You're dumber than a bag of rocks and you probably believe in witches and the Mothman too ... and succubuses and zombies and vampires .... lmao you're killing me! But God Bless y'all's little hearts.

To the rest of the sane people in this thread ... you know how Trump exposed all the RINOs? Well, this thread just exposed a few seriously wackadoodle dumbasses. They're the same types who almost caused the extinction of the bald eagle the last time. The same ignorant types who almost caused the extinction of the buffalo and the wild turkey and so many other species .... and they give Conservatives a bad name.

Nature doesn't do what they're claiming it does.

[Linked Image from gifimage.net]
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Something else killing allot of game and birds is cats. It pays to shoot every one of them you see prowling the woods.

I do just that. Same for possums. coons and other egg suckers.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Lol

Right here in the county I live in we have better than a 50% reduction in turkeys.

Drove around a 320 acre lake this winter and counted 8 baldies, no waterfowl of any sort on the lake.

Treat birds of prey just like we do 4 legged predators and we would see an increase in turkeys and rabbits/quail.

30 years ago we started getting tons of turkeys around here. never remember seeing an eagle until 15-20 years ago, now I see at least 1 a day and we don't see or kill near the turkeys we did before we started seeing eagles. They need controlled just like we control other wildlife.
I told the dumbass we've had a 40% reduction in our turkey population here in NY back on page one and that our fall season has been reduced from 7 wks. to 2 wks. with a 1 bird limit down from 2 as a result. I have witnessed red tailed hawks killing pheasants in the corn stubble and I find spots in the snow where owls have killed cottontails every season. Raptors should be considered vermin just like coyotes.

I'm calling you a liar.

I read all of this, and a thought came to mind. That thought was of Ronald Regan and his comment: "Well the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it is just that they know so mach that is not so."

First, animals very much get a huge thrill from killing prey.
Just as a ratter dog will go berserk in a barn full of rodents, so will a bear in a flock of sheep, so will a pack of wolves in a flock of sheep, so will coyotes in a herd of helpless deer caught on a frozen lake.

The thought that some rancher pissed off an eagle and the bird is exacting revenge by killing that rancher's livestock is beyond ludicrous. I am sorry, but the entire thought is just bizarre.

And as for wolves in Idaho. Well, yes, you got me started.

We rightfully spent a fortune on bounties to eradicate those SOBs in the first place. Then Hornocker led the misconceived effort to reintroduce the vermin to our state. Somebody should go back in time and shoot that bastard's mother before she got pregnant with him. Okay, that is a bit strong. At least sew her snatch closed.

Eliminating 90% of Idaho's wolves a mistake???? The mistake was transplanting them here from Canada in the first place. They should start airdropping poisoned hamburger into the denning areas after first snowfall, and don't stop until every one of those filthy fugging cow killing, elk harrassing, sheep slaughtering bastards are dead.

There is zero need for wolves in Idaho! There is not a deer or elk herd in the state that was not being managed perfectly adequately by sales of tags for decades before they brought the wolves in. Idaho only needs ONE apex predator.

There was one and only one agenda behind the reintroduction of wolves to Idaho and Yellowstone. That agenda was disarmament of the American populace.

The idea is to destroy the gun culture of America, they have to destroy the hunting culture of America. If they can put enough predators in the wild, they can eliminate hunting of the prey.

But to the dismay of the anti gun nutters, Americans are embracing the concept of armed self defense as fast as they are abandoning the hunting fields. AR 15s have replaced Grandpa's Win 94 in 30-30. Glocks have replaced Grandpa's over-under 20 ga quail gun, or the 12 ga goose gun.

Guns are selling in numbers never before seen in this nation.

The antis would have been well served to leave our prey species alone, and let us amuse ourselves filling our freezers.
I am still wondering what hit a fully grown male peacock in my pasture a couple years ago.

I found a string of peacock feathers in the pasture about twenty yards long. And then about 1/4 mile away, across a large canal about fifty feet wide and fifty feet deep I found the rest of the feathers where the peacock was consumed.

I am still thinking it had to be an eagle. We have a lot of red tails. But the peacock would have outweighed a redtail by what? 3 to 1? A redtail might have killed him, but there is no way it could have flown away with a fully grown male peacock.

Damned redtail swooped on me once. I think it was after the overgrown JRT. The bird must have reconsidered when he got close enough to realize the dog weighed thirty pounds. The hawk flared and and lifted out of his dive just behind and above my head. I thought something was about to take my head off.
https://youtu.be/fQuXb7l0aIU
Just like guys up here years ago with snowshoe rabbit hunting. Bragging about no more rabbit tracks in a swamp cause they "got" them all. Then pissed off the following year cause there were none.
BTB, we got all the aft mentioned raptors, and turkeys up the butt. I live 100 miles north of G.B. Wi.
All you two bird limit guys can stay home.
We're not too far from the National Birds of Prey center in so. Idaho. While this area is outside of it, the birds don't know the boundaries. They established it about 25 years ago and started propagating a number of bird species. We see far more hawks and eagles than we used to. We haven't had a rabbit boom in MANY years. Rabbits, both jacks and cottontails, can be very hard to find in recent decades.
AND, just to add to the excitement this AM. The Marine Mammals Act has done 100 times the damage to salmon populations as the Columbia and Snake River dams have.

SHOOT A SEA LION, SAVE 1000 SALMON, and a greenest of green energy hydroelectric dam!
Turkey hen vs owl at 4:14 https://youtu.be/JyrbqiCokdw
AND, just to add to the excitement this AM. The Marine Mammals Act has done 100 times the damage to salmon populations as the Columbia and Snake River dams have.

SHOOT A SEA LION, SAVE 1000 SALMON, and a greenest of green energy hydroelectric dam!
Isn't that the truth!!! It's estimated that the sea lions in the Columbia eat 50,000 lb of salmon PER DAY.
Bleeding heart congressman bending to the radicals. The MMA and Wild Horse Act have done tremendous damage because they don't have the brains to include sunset clauses in the laws. There's no way to shut them down when the goal has been accomplished. They just keep on making money for someone in the background.

While the wolf introduction laws weren't passed by congress, they did state numeric goals. The goals were ignored after they were surpassed and the wolves keep on breeding but at least the states have some leeway to control them. Not so with the horses and sea lions.

Originally Posted by Jim1611

Bobcats are surprisingly efficient takers of adult turkeys. Wish coyotes were as hard on bobcats as they are on foxes.
I like having birds of prey around. I'm fine with having a smaller small game population as a result.

I find that impossible to believe.

To believe that one would have to believe salmon populations were smaller pre-european settlement on the west coast. We all know that is not true.

I fully understand the benefit of dams, but I won't lie to myself to make me feel comfortable about them
Look up some charts of salmon harvest and spawning return through the fities and sixties. The dams had little impact on salmon runs before the passage of the Marine Mammals Act.

Do you not imagine that coastal indigenous peoples killed a lot of seals before Columbus ever laid eyes on America? Seals and sea lions are made of meat and high caloric fat. Their fur makes for warm winter wear or blankets. And they are not that hard to kill when they congregate on rock piles or shore. I doubt there were any activists trying to shut down the clubbing of baby seals before those of European descent started the trend.

I compare it to the American bison. Archeologists have determined the ancient American Tribes lived in equilibrium with the bison. The bison did not multiply out of control into the herds of millions or tens of millions of animals until the populations of tribal peoples were decimated by European diseases.

While we have no data to confirm my belief, I am sure that in the 13'th, 14'th, and 15'th centuries those tribes living west of the Rockies also lived in equilibrium with the sea lions and salmon.
To think Stone Age native tribes had anything in mind other than survival is ridiculous. Any symbiosis was a happy accident.
1. Semi-truth. There is no data to confirm your belief.

2. Truth. There is no data to confirm your beliefs accurate.

3. Truth. My 3rd grade teacher told me the same BS.

Fact. As today, equilibriums dont and never did exist in nature, primarily due to nature.

Populations of people and wildlife fluctuated between times of plenty and starvation due to the nature of the environment being effected by fluctions of climate change, overpopulation of prey and preys food, temperature, rainfall, disease, droughts, floods, fires, storms, .....

I fear these truths defy you.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
To think Stone Age native tribes had anything in mind other than survival is ridiculous. Any symbiosis was a happy accident.

Buffalo jumps were anything but symbiotic.

Anything a tribe couldn't carry away was left for the buzzards, wolves, coyotes, eagles, bears etc.
To think Stone Age native tribes had anything in mind other than survival is ridiculous. Any symbiosis was a happy accident AND SHORT LIVED

TRUTH
I think written history reveals that Lewis and Clarke and other explorers and trappers often encountered large areas of the land west of the Appalacians without adequate ungulate populations to support significant populations of natives and tribes often moved long distances to find food and often starved in the process.

Maybe the older white men didnt screw everything up. They killed predators and restored populations of deer, elk and buffalo. We dont now have vast areas of the country without game, though preservationists are trying to reverse that to end hunting by restoring overpopulations of predators like lions, wolves, foxes, coyotes, owls, hawks and eagles to reduce game bird and animal populations.

It isnt hunters who took out the prairie chickens. Its hawks and owls and eagles.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Buffalo jumps were anything but symbiotic.

Anything a tribe couldn't carry away was left for the buzzards, wolves, coyotes, eagles, bears etc.

This. When they could run enough buffalo off a cliff, they were happy to take the best cuts and feed their dogs and buzzards the rest. Fat dogs meant fresh meat when they tired of dried Buffalo.
Look up some charts of salmon harvest and spawning return through the fities and sixties. The dams had little impact on salmon runs before the passage of the Marine Mammals Act.

Do you not imagine that coastal indigenous peoples killed a lot of seals before Columbus ever laid eyes on America? Seals and sea lions are made of meat and high caloric fat. Their fur makes for warm winter wear or blankets. And they are not that hard to kill when they congregate on rock piles or shore. I doubt there were any activists trying to shut down the clubbing of baby seals before those of European descent started the trend.

I compare it to the American bison. Archeologists have determined the ancient American Tribes lived in equilibrium with the bison. The bison did not multiply out of control into the herds of millions or tens of millions of animals until the populations of tribal peoples were decimated by European diseases.

While we have no data to confirm my belief, I am sure that in the 13'th, 14'th, and 15'th centuries those tribes living west of the Rockies also lived in equilibrium with the sea lions and salmon.

I don't buy it. Doesn't pass the sniff test.

We don't need to imagine what happened in the 13,14 and 15 century. We can just look further north in modern times and see the impact native Americans had on sea mammal populations. very limited.

There is no doubt in my mind that cutting off large sections of spawning gravel had a much larger effect than an increase in seal populations. Simple predator/prey math will tell you that. I'm sure more salmon are killed by other salmon than seals. Remember big fish eat little fish. Salmon are a large part of the food chain in pelagic regions of the oceans. But hey, believe what you want. Makes no difference to me.
1. Semi-truth. There is no data to confirm your belief.

2. Truth. There is no data to confirm your beliefs accurate.

3. Truth. My 3rd grade teacher told me the same BS.

Fact. As today, equilibriums dont and never did exist in nature, primarily due to nature.

Populations of people and wildlife fluctuated between times of plenty and starvation due to the nature of the environment being effected by fluctions of climate change, overpopulation of prey and preys food, temperature, rainfall, disease, droughts, floods, fires, storms, .....

I fear these truths defy you.

Ecosystems are **dynamic** equilibriums. That means they have fluctuations which included low valleys and high peaks.
Somehow i dont think IS was referring to that. It seems he was referring to more of a symbiotic relationship with Indians and buffalo existing in a mutually beneficial and stable coexistence.

The idea Indians were better than us crackers is pushed in school and forgiven their hunting and killing was because they held the animals in great esteem and used all the animals parts, unlike tbe wasteful cracker.

They used all the animal they killed because they were often near starving and needed the other parts for tools.

The message is that crackers dont deserve to hunt and fish as they are ungrateful and wasteful and many like IS seem to somewhat ascribe to that bs to me.
[quote=urbaneruralite]

patooty in Fayetteville ... there must be 75 baldy males along that canal waiting for fishermen to dump fish guts and heads at the marinas.

I've got a breeding pair on my big pond and the turkeys around here laugh at them. But you should see those birds take a catfish or a carp out of that pond ... it is amazing.

claim that a big male comes into their place and takes their roosters at will ....

How do you know they are males? You know that the real big ones are females, right?
Somehow i dont think IS was referring to that. It seems he was referring to more of a symbiotic relationship with Indians and buffalo existing in a mutually beneficial and stable coexistence.

The idea Indians were better than us crackers is pushed in school and forgiven their hunting and killing was because they held the animals in great esteem and used all the animals parts, unlike tbe wasteful cracker.

They used all the animal they killed because they were often near starving and needed the other parts for tools.

The message is that crackers dont deserve to hunt and fish as they are ungrateful and wasteful and many like IS seem to somewhat ascribe to that bs to me.

I agree it is a total myth that Native Americans were in some kind of harmony with nature.

Another myth is that Native Americans were perpetual victims. They were ruthlessly killing each other long before Europeans arrived. Aztecs in Mexico and Iroquois/Huron in Ontario are good examples.
Brutal, heartless, cruel birds of prey. Killing little bleating lambs for sport and pleasure.

Sheep farmers on the other hand .... nobody likes stinkin sheep farmers, do they? Except Mary of course.

Same state that recently passed a culling law on gray wolves.

I get so confused when mankind tries to rule over mother nature. And the lefties are ALWAYS trying to do it, every aspect of our lives.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/bald-eagles-massacre-sheep

Spend some time in SE Alaska and your grandiose ideas about majestic bald eagles will change. But living in a tiny world won't challenge your misguided perceptions in life
Rabbit booms and busts are an example of 'equilibrium' all right. In 1 year, millions of rabbits will eat everything in sight. Then during the following winter, the population will crash and for 5 years you won't be able to buy a jack rabbit.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Rabbit booms and busts are an example of 'equilibrium' all right. In 1 year, millions of rabbits will eat everything in sight. Then during the following winter, the population will crash and for 5 years you won't be able to buy a jack rabbit.

Follows and goes hand and hand with the predator cycles.
As do outbreaks of Rabies when there are too many predators.
Jack rabbits are hares, not rabbits.

Yes, but go out west and tell about all the jack hairs you rubbed out that day.

BH, youre better than that.
To a scientist maybe. Here, a long eared critter is either a rabbit or a mule.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Follows and goes hand and hand with the predator cycles.
As do outbreaks of Rabies when there are too many predators.

7-year cycle.

not worth eating either, killed some onetime with a baseball bat and tried to bbq them, couldn't eat them.
To a scientist maybe. Here, a long eared critter is either a rabbit or a mule.
LOL

Seen one the other day eating on a neighbors beagle
© 24hourcampfire