Home
Posted By: 2ndwind Wind River - 06/07/21
I came across this film on another forum search about hunting with the 45-70. It's worth a look IMO.

Posted By: atvalaska Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
As many a beaver As stars in the sky......
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
One of my all time favorites. It should be mandatory watching for every American.

kwg
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Someone posted the shoot out scene a while back. Makes me not want to be in a shootout.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
good flick.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
good flick.

+1
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Has a couple of Avengers in it.
Posted By: hatari Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Based on true events. It is a comglomeration of several incidences, I believe. Disturbing in a number of ways.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by hatari
Based on true events. It is a comglomeration of several incidences, I believe. Disturbing in a number of ways.

More: To Serve and Protect
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Jeremy Renner had kind of a Steve McQueen vibe in this film.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
I just watched it again the other day. It is an enjoyable movie.

If you watch the reloading scene and look at the powder on the shelf, there is actually a pound of IMR-3031 up there. That’s a pretty good detail as that it is one of the best 45-70 powders.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
It was a really good film and they nailed so many details right. They missed one big element that no one who has ever been to a rez would know.

Dogs.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
good flick.

'cept thepart about shooting through the wall of a trailer at 150yds and slamming the guy into the far wall...
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
good flick.

'cept thepart about shooting through the wall of a trailer at 150yds and slamming the guy into the far wall...

Yeah, after all, it was only a 45-70, not like it was a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
It’s a good one
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
It was a really good film and they nailed so many details right. They missed one big element that no one who has ever been to a rez would know.

Dogs.

That, and not enough boats laying in the yard with no trailers.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
And tires on the roof.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
And couch swings.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
It was a good movie and having spent time on a rez many years ago, it hits home with me. A depressing story line that is all too prevalent today.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Yes, it is a good film. An interesting story that carries you away into country you like being in.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
2ndwind: Paid to go see this movie twice on the big screen and have watched it at home at least 5 times.
I have it on DVR and show it to my house guests often - everyone seems to enjoy it.
I enjoy it and give it a moderate general rating of 83 out of a possible 100.
I have been through and to the Wind River country (and Reservation) many times - it is beautiful country.
Jeremy Renner, I think, is a great actor (under-rated?) as well as Jon Bernthal and Gil Birmingham (the Indian father of the victim).
Several good actors in the movie and I am glad it made the producers some profit (Cost $11,000,000.00 and its made $45,000,000.00 so far!).
The "Wind country" of Wyoming is well worth the effort to get there!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
siskel and vg.......
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by JoeBob

If you watch the reloading scene and look at the powder on the shelf, there is actually a pound of IMR-3031 up there. That’s a pretty good detail as that it is one of the best 45-70 powders.

Except for the part where he was weighing each bullet before reloading each round. 😬
The gal that played the murder victim is the same little hottie Chinese gal that plays an Indian on the Paramount series “Yellowstone”

Overall, it’s a very good flick. I’ve watched it several times.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Good movie. If I remember correctly, there were several folks from the Longmire series in it.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Good movie. If I remember correctly, there were several folks from the Longmire series in it.

Yep.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Except for the part where he was weighing each bullet before reloading each round. 😬

I don't remember that scene, so I don't recall where those were jacketed or cast bullets, but either way, one of my friends who shot BR competitively did that with his match bullets and I damned sure did it with my heavy cast bullets 'cause that was the only way to determine which had air pockets that might be off center affecting accuracy .. sometimes pretty badly. It is worth doing on the GBL / GSBL / guide guns ... I've never owned one that wasn't a sub MOA rifle.
Originally Posted by T_O_M

I don't remember that scene, so I don't recall where those were jacketed or cast bullets, but either way, one of my friends who shot BR competitively did that with his match bullets and I damned sure did it with my heavy cast bullets 'cause that was the only way to determine which had air pockets that might be off center affecting accuracy .. sometimes pretty badly. It is worth doing on the GBL / GSBL / guide guns ... I've never owned one that wasn't a sub MOA rifle.

Yep. I’ve seen Match Shooters to that. He was loading jacketed hunting bullets. Big waste of time.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Wind River - 06/07/21

He worked the mouth of that case to death.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
good flick.

Was the guy shot wearing armor?
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

He worked the mouth of that case to death.

Yep. I’d forgotten about that.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Wind River - 06/07/21

same as dances with wolves.....
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22

One of the things I liked about Wind River vs Dances with Wolves was that there were "bad guy" Indians in WR.... not the case in DWW.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Wind River - 06/07/21
“I wanted to sing my Death Song, but there is no one to teach me how”

Most depressing line in the movie. Sums up the plight of people who have lost their culture.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
I watched it a long time ago. Good movie. So is Hell or High Water.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

One of the things I liked about Wind River vs Dances with Wolves was that there were "bad guy" Indians in WR.... not the case in DWW.

I thought Wes Studi was good as the Pawnee villain.

Wind River is an excellent flick, IMHO in part because it freely references Indians murdering other Indians, as in the central character's late teenage daughter.
Posted By: callnum Re: Wind River - 06/08/21

Sometimes I wonder if boomers remember what they watched.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Wind River - 06/08/21

From the trailer posted it looks like Gil Birmingham who plays Chief Thomas Rainwater in the Yellowstone TV series is in Wind River, too, though not as well dressed and groomed as he is in Yellowstone.

Jeremy Renner has some pretty impressive athletic skills (fast forward to the 3:10 mark) :

Posted By: sidepass Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Yep. I’ve seen Match Shooters to that. He was loading jacketed hunting bullets. Big waste of time.

His time to be used how he wishes. Lol.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
yeah. he probably cleaned the primer pockets, too.....
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
[q

Wind River is an excellent flick, IMHO in part because it freely references Indians murdering other Indians, as in the central character's late teenage daughter.
[/quote]

In the closing credits it stated that missing Indian women are so common they are not even kept track of statistically

On a brighter note I chose the free with ads version on Amazon and they forgot to put the commercials in. It was a really good film. I think I'm going to shoot some steel targets with my Marlin Guide Gun tomorrow.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
[q

In the closing credits it stated that missing Indian women are so common they are not even kept track of statistically

On a brighter note I chose the free with ads version on Amazon and they forgot to put the commercials in. It was a really good film. I think I'm going to shoot some steel targets with my Marlin Guide Gun tomorrow. [/quote]The National Park Service claims it doesn't keep track of people who disappear from its parks too. Do you believe the government really doesn't have those statistics? Take note that I didn't ask if you believed whether the government would give you the numbers or even whether the government would admit to having the numbers.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
just finished watching it again on amazon.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
The "hero" in the movie is a pussy.

When he realizes who the bad guys are, he coulda jumped on the snowmobile and hauled ass back ta the trailer, but instead he hasta snipe the bad guys, and by the time he sneaks up on em, the good guys is mostly dead.
Posted By: scrooster Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
One of my favorite movies .... and the pretty little Indian girl .... I've been around her since she was a little girl. She's probably more widely known now from Yellowstone but to us she was always little Kelsey ... she went to school with my two oldest daughters right through HS, they were doing the drama thing together back then. They all kinda moved out to the west coast at the same time although mine are now attorneys we always kinda knew Kelsey was going to try her hand at acting, and she has done well. Her Mom and Dad are very accomplished people ... her Dad is probably one of the top plastic surgeons in the country. She's actually Asian but they keep putting her in Indian and Eskimo roles .... I should say Native American I guess. Very very very sweet precious girl.

Anyone notice her in Fargo?

Anyways, yeah, Wind River is a great great movie.
Posted By: scrooster Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
Originally Posted by joken2

From the trailer posted it looks like Gil Birmingham who plays Chief Thomas Rainwater in the Yellowstone TV series is in Wind River, too, though not as well dressed and groomed as he is in Yellowstone.

It's kinda like they have a little cabal going-on where Reiner and Costner produced movies are all connected.

Graham Greene plays Ben in Wind River .... he was in Dances with Wolves with Costner and is slated to make an appearance in Yellowstone. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere where 8 or 9 actors and actresses from Wind River have made appearances in Yellowstone.

Gil Birmingham is a gay Native American irl if I am not mistaken, rarer than a hen's tooth.
Posted By: lastround Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
I liked “Wind River”! For what it’s worth. Made me want a Marlin Guide gun!
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Originally Posted by joken2

It's kinda like they have a little cabal going-on where Reiner and Costner produced movies are all connected.

Graham Greene plays Ben in Wind River .... he was in Dances with Wolves with Costner and is slated to make an appearance in Yellowstone. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere where 8 or 9 actors and actresses from Wind River have made appearances in Yellowstone.

Gil Birmingham is a gay Native American irl if I am not mistaken, rarer than a hen's tooth.

I believe the common denominator is Taylor Sheridan. He wrote and directed Wind River, and is the writer, director, and producer of Yellowstone.
He undoubtedly had a role in casting.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
I don’t watch many movies but I really liked Wind River. I thought it was good start to finish and the revenge seen at the end was good.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Wind River - 06/08/21

Dogs.

So true.

I was telling my bride recently that 40 years ago, every where you went there were stray dogs. All of a sudden, in the early nineties it ended. Except on the reservations.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Dogs.

So true.

I was telling my bride recently that 40 years ago, every where you went there were stray dogs. All of a sudden, in the early nineties it ended. Except on the reservations.
I don't remember there being stray dogs on the flathead reservation. Or lots of boats in yards or any of the other crap listed here. I know there is none of that on the Onandaga reservation. The Crow reservation is a shyt hole though so I don't believe you can paint with a broad brush.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wind River - 06/08/21
Guess his ex-wife in the movie knew larry root, she says she would never set foot in Pinedale or something to that effect.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
Watched it for the first time tonight. Pretty darn good. Fairly impressed with all Taylor Sheridan offerings so far.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by Blackheart
[quote=WyColoCowboy]It was a really good film and they nailed so many details right. They missed one big element that no one who has ever been to a rez would know.

Dogs.

I don't remember there being stray dogs on the flathead reservation. Or lots of boats in yards or any of the other crap listed here. I know there is none of that on the Onandaga reservation. The Crow reservation is a shyt hole though so I don't believe you can paint with a broad brush.

Up north I figure winter must take out a lot of stray dogs, drive from NY to Texas and dogs as roadkill crop up mostly in the south.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by atvalaska

Pick me Bill Tyler, Pick me.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Wind River - 06/09/21

Does that movie ever actually end?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by atvalaska

Pick me Bill Tyler, Pick me.

One of my all time favorites! “Mountain Men” with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith

“I crap on the graves of your grandfathers”

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
Didn’t know that shooting a bad guy with a 45-70 Gov would thrust him 5’ft in reverse...Most awesome !

Wind River is a decent flick.

🦫

Dogs.

So true.

Navajo And Apache Reservations in some parts of NM and AZ are pretty bad.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Wind River - 06/09/21

Does that movie ever actually end?

You have to wait for the credits to start rolling.

The End

Grins

🦫
Posted By: CRS Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
I thought it was a good movie that brought to light how awful they are to each other, and the dangers for native american females.

Living in western SD and having hunted deeded land within the Pine Ridge Reservation I can attest to the dogs, garbage, junk, and conditions.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Wind River - 06/09/21

Maybe too cold in those places, for them to make a living? In the SW, and Mexico, I've seen dogs running rampant.
Originally Posted by CRS
I thought it was a good movie that brought to light how awful they are to each other, and the dangers for native american females.

Living in western SD and having hunted deeded land within the Pine Ridge Reservation I can attest to the dogs, garbage, junk, and conditions.

It’s been 30 years since I was last on the Pine Ridge Rez. What a schitthole.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
hell, here you just got to drive west to San Diego Tx. A photo that Leighton took on the way to my brother's ranch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Someone posted the shoot out scene a while back. Makes me not want to be in a shootout.

Very true.

When I was working with the Milwaukee PD Firearms Training Unit a number of years ago one of the FTU instructors (who had BTDT) said, "We are training you today how to come out on top in an Officer Involved Shooting. You never, ever want to be involved in a gunfight." I've been using that
in my classes ever since.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by kwg020
One of my all time favorites. It should be mandatory watching for every American.

kwg

Agreed. It's a powerful film, one of the few that has even attempted to portray Native Americans in anything approximating realistic manner.
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Very true.

When I was working with the Milwaukee PD Firearms Training Unit a number of years ago one of the FTU instructors (who had BTDT) said, "We are training you today how to come out on top in an Officer Involved Shooting. You never, ever want to be involved in a gunfight." I've been using that
in my classes ever since.

The guy who saw them flanking them should have not stood down.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by CRS

Watched it for the first time last night.

Yeah, it's a screwed up situation for some native females. The reservations are sovereign nations though, and can regulate their own internal affairs. Doesn't seem like it'll get fixed, or even improved, unless it's done from the inside.
A lot of mistakes made, the Leo in that situation. I know it was a movie but at least they showed one guy understanding what was fixing to go down.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Wind River - 06/09/21
I was impressed by the guy who answered the trailer door while strung out on something, shortly thereafter killed in a shootout. There ought be an award category for best bit part actor.

Couple of things in the movie you gotta suspend disbelief as the term goes, like the fact that an FBI agent can kill someone without the whole investigation becoming a huge production but a great, well cast movie overall.
Posted By: CRS Re: Wind River - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by CRS

Watched it for the first time last night.

Yeah, it's a screwed up situation for some native females. The reservations are sovereign nations though, and can regulate their own internal affairs. Doesn't seem like it'll get fixed, or even improved, unless it's done from the inside.

There are some parts of their current culture that need to be done away with. The treatment of each other and especially females is one of them. I could go on and on about the culture but it needs to fixed from within and part of the tribal members do not want it fixed.

I see their way out as financial success, which will foster a cultural revival. Save the culture and history while embracing capitalism. If Pine Ridge would get organized, they could be a tourism powerhouse and reap the benefits of tourism dollars wanting to see the culture.

But tourist do not want to stay in dangerous schiitholes.
© 24hourcampfire