Home
Posted By: MagMarc FFL hold on private transfer? - 06/08/21
A friend just bought a rifle from a private individual and arranged shipping to a local FFL. The FFL told him federal law would make him hold the rifle for 15 days before he could pick it up since it wasn’t shipped from an FFL.I can’t find it in any regulations. This particular FFL has always been a pain to do transfers with. I say this is BS.
Opinions?
You are correct, and the FFL is wrong.

Why doesn't said friend ask for the regulatory quote?

The only hold is either from a state POC or a DELAY as result of a NICS check.

The Brady Law demands a 3 day hold after a DELAYED result from NICS.

If the state POC is in play, and they have state regulations that place a hold, then that is unique to that state.

Lots of FFL's confuse company policy with federal law.
Find another FFL for your next transfer. Hasbeen
My FFL calls me the day he gets it, I pick it up that day, after the proper paper work and NICS.
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

^^^^^^+
Originally Posted by MagMarc
This particular FFL has always been a pain to do transfers with. .
?

Why do you keep doing business with him?
Wasn't WO's was it?

Never had a problem there.

Great advice!
My question is if you knew the guy is a PITA, why did you use him? Fact is he has the gun and unless you are willing to pay to ship it back and then to some other FFL, you’re stuck with him and his arbitrary bs at this point. You’ll get the gun in 15 days.
it's HORSESHIT>
Nonsense by federal regulations. FFL holders are often weird and like to make themselves more important in my experience. Probably 80% have had some hang up that isn't in the reg.s. And they really hate it when you appear to know as much as they do. Best roll with it and find a different FFL next time.

Or call the ATF and sheriff. Report back please.
Originally Posted by arky65
My FFL calls me the day he gets it, I pick it up that day, after the proper paper work and NICS.

Same,same.

My guy wants me there ASAP. He has limited safe/vault space, and prefers not to be responsible for the security of other peoples' merchandise.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Wasn't WO's was it?

Never had a problem there.

No pawn shop in town.
I won’t do a transfer there too much hassle.
It is BS that they have made up.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

^^^^^^+

Yep.

This one is punishing you for not buying a gun from HIM.
It's BS.. I've done many transfers from private individuals to another person via 4473.. When the box arrives, I call the customer.. He/she (or "IT" - gotta be PC doncha know) comes in - many times that same day - fills out the form, I get the Okie-dokie from ATF or WI-DOJ and 'it' walks out with the firearm..

Originally Posted by rockinbbar

^^^^^^+

Yep.

DING!!!
Another pain in the ass dipschit FFL.

I think they’re multiplying.
I would be tempted to tell him I was going to report the gun stolen and give them his address, see how far he's willing to run with that story (lie).
He’s full of democrats
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

^^^^^^+

Yep.

Seen it. [bleep].
My shadow would never darken the door of that particular establishment, again. DONE!!!
Originally Posted by mark shubert
My shadow would never darken the door of that particular establishment, again. DONE!!!

15 years ago a local shop, Brandon’s Gun trading, Joplin, MO did similar to me. I’d bought a few guns from him previously. Inquired about a gunbroker transfer (he had a presence on there at the time as well), he said he could only accept from another FFL. If it came from an individual he couldn’t release it to me. Evidently it just went into some kind of purgatory for lost guns forever…wasnt stating this as his policy, but was stating it as law.

I told him he didn’t know the laws. Went up the street, and $15 later I had a shop do the transfer for me.

Pretty sure he didn’t like me buying a (used) Kimber rifle off of here when he was a Kimber Master dealer.
Originally Posted by mark shubert

PREZACTLY!!! And I’d tell him to Go Fuqk Himself when I finally got the gun!
Originally Posted by deflave
Another pain in the ass dipschit FFL.

I think they’re multiplying.

Yep. I’d not do business with him again and let him know why.

A good FFL is worth their weight in gold but it seems most these days are intent on ignorance and power trips
© 24hourcampfire