Home
Posted By: KFWA more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Ford on Tuesday revealed the Maverick, a small pickup truck that starts at $19,995.

It comes with a hybrid powertrain that Ford says gets 40 mpg in the city.

The compact pickup goes on sale this fall in three trims: XL, XLT, and Lariat.

It's difficult to ignore that pickup trucks have grown ever larger and pricier in recent years. After all, some full-size trucks have hoods so tall they nearly rival a small house.

Ford is bucking that trend with its latest model.

The company on Tuesday took the wraps off of its first brand-new pickup in decades: the Maverick. Starting at just below $20,000, the compact pickup will be the cheapest truck available in the US and by far one of the smallest when it goes on sale this fall.

To put the Maverick's size in perspective, it's roughly a foot shorter in length than the Ranger, Ford's mid-size truck, and around 2.5 feet shorter than an F-150. The model is geared at buyers who want pickup truck capability in a package that's easier to park, more maneuverable on city streets, and more fuel-efficient than its bulkier, more work-ready models.

To that last point, the Blue Oval gave the Maverick a hybrid powertrain as standard equipment - a first for US pickups. The company says it gets 40 mpg city, but that hasn't been tested by the EPA yet. The combination of a 2.5-liter four-cylinder and an electric motor puts out a claimed 191 horsepower and 155 pound-feet of torque. Ford rates towing capacity at 2,000 pounds, which it says is plenty to pull a couple of jet skis or a small camper.
Might be okay in a year or 2 after they work the bugs out. I've got a 4x4 Silverado that I can't afford to replace given the price of trucks. I wouldn't mind trying the maverick.
Rebadged Nissan Patrol?
Posted By: ringworm Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Current Ford's are garbage.
Lariat badging on the ranger is just that, badging.
Manual passenger seat adjustment, manual rear window, drop tailgate (no shocks)
I had a 2010 F150 Lariat.
Last new Ford I'll buy.
My current Ford's PU is a 72.
Posted By: rem141r Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
not sure what purpose it serves. that bed is all but useless for anything besides some bags of mulch.
Posted By: Rugies Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
it also has the option of a 2.0 eco boost that is 250 hp.
If they wanted to help the consumer and the environment and sell a for ton of trucks they would rebuild the mid 80s line with modern crumple zones and airbags minus stupid computer BS. rubber floor mats, manual windows and seats, drop in a 4cy turbo and sell it for 25k.
Posted By: viking Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
It’s about time someone came out with a little pickup again that gets some decent mileage.

Not everyone needs a 40k truck or a diesel to pull stumps.
Posted By: Redneck Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by ringworm
LMAO - one man's opinion.

You've not checked 'em lately, have you? The Lariat version comes quite loaded by itself. Adding one major package gives you everything anyone needs... They have heated & cooled front seats, heated rear seats (CC ) , powered mirrors (in/out & extended), powered rear window, all other windows, powered adjusted pedals and steering wheel, assisted lift tailgate with step and grab bar. Etc., etc.. +++++++...
Like a Honda pickup, or an Avalanche. No separated bed.

Probably just what housewives need.
Posted By: rem141r Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
my 15 f250 xl has heated seats. i just need to hit the taco bell first.
Originally Posted by Redneck

You've not checked 'em lately, have you? The Lariat version comes quite loaded by itself. Adding one major package gives you everything anyone needs... They have heated & cooled front seats, heated rear seats (CC ) , powered mirrors (in/out & extended), powered rear window, all other windows, powered adjusted pedals and steering wheel, assisted lift tailgate with step and grab bar. Etc., etc.. +++++++...

Had one brought out the first year and sent it right back, so no...I didn't look again. But then I don't examine my sh1t before I flush either.
Neat but Ford is turning into the KelTec of the truck world. Introduce something I can actually buy.
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Neat but Ford is turning into the KelTec of the truck world. Introduce something I can actually buy.

LOL.

Well if you can't afford a Maverick, what do you suggest?

EZGo?
Last new Ford I'll buy.

No struts on a tailgate=garbage?
Posted By: KFWA Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
For $20K , 40mpg and can tow a small boat or camper

they won't be able to keep them on the showroom floor.
I looked at some pics. The only thing that stood out is the very short bed with an awkwardly high reach over. The pic shows a woman standing on her toes to reach into the bed.

I think this vehicle has a place. The price is very good. Let's see how the reliability works out.
Is this the same bunch that always complains about a lack of new offerings in the gunny world?
Originally Posted by KFWA

I think you are right. With the turbo engine they are rated at 4000 pounds of towing capacity. I suspect that package will bump the price up substantially.
I have to admit, I have been burned by Ford so much I'd be reluctant to buy one, even though I like, on paper, everything about it.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I think you are right. With the turbo engine they are rated at 4000 pounds of towing capacity. I suspect that package will bump the price up substantially.

The article says fully loaded 4WD with 250HP is $30K
It's the price point and MPG that'll make it or break it.

Otherwise everyone would be driving a 1 ton 4 door.
A GMC truck/Buick dealer last week offered me $25,000 for my 2015 Silverado LT Z71 extended cab. It has 90,000 miles on it.

I bought it in 2017 with 18,000 miles on the odometer and paid $29,000 for it.

He said they could easily sell it for $34-$36K. Huh?

They only had three new Sierra 1500s on the lot. The cheapest one was a $67K Denali Edition, the most expensive was almost $90K, a Harley Davidson Edition.

That sounds pretty damn reasonable to me.
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
A GMC truck/Buick dealer last week offered me $25,000 for my 2015 Silverado LT Z71 extended cab. It has 90,000 miles on it.

They only had three new Sierra 1500s on the lot. The cheapest one was a $67K Denali Edition, the most expensive was almost $90K, a Harley Davidson Edition.

So they admitted that they would make $10-12k on one used car deal?

And they wonder why nobody trusts used car salesmen.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

So they admitted that they would make $10-12k on one used car deal?

And they wonder why nobody trusts used car salesmen.

I don't have a problem with that. They have to make money to stay in business, and they'll put some money into it prepping it for sale. Have you ever looked at a Kelly Blue Book or an NADA car value book? They have a "trade in value", and "commercial resale value". Those are usually 20-30% apart, depending upon the vehicle type.

I decided I didn't want to spend $67K on a new truck, even with $25K off for a trade in, which is why I didn't accept their offer. If I had it would have been easy to just go back to the dealer a couple days later and see what the pricing on my old truck was.

Do you think they're running a charity or something?
Posted By: cv540 Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by rem141r
not sure what purpose it serves. that bed is all but useless for anything besides some bags of mulch.

Hauling mulch, or a couple garbage cans to the dump in a vehicle that a 30 something can still use to commute to work and park more easily than a full size truck, while getting car mileage, would be the purpose that it serves.

That sounds pretty damn reasonable to me.

cheaper than a bigger truck, a Ridgeline, or any new comparable offering from Subaru or Hyundai
I've seen too many repair videos on new Fords to never, ever own one. Over-complicated, under-designed, with catastrophic failure as the inevitable result of a broken $50 part.
Posted By: Redneck Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by grouseman
I've seen too many repair videos on new Fords to never, ever own one.
You've never seen 'repair videos' on GM or Dodge??? LMAO... Try a search - you may be quite surprised.
Over-complicated, under-designed, with catastrophic failure as the inevitable result of a broken $50 part.
That encompasses ALL of them, period...

When I was in the car biz I worked most of my years at GM dealerships.. Trust me - the service departments were never lacking in work.. smile
Do you think they're running a charity or something?

I know they aren't.

But I do know a bit about that business, and know enough to know that when a salesman sells a car with a $3500-4500 gross profit, that was called "Pulling someone's head off"... In other words, they really stuck it to the customer.

A loaded out Platinum 350 dually with all options doesn't have near $10k profit margin in it.

If you sell your pickup to dealer, and they make $12k profit, they are not only breaking it off in the customer, they are breaking it off in you as well. wink
I've seen too many repair videos on new Fords to never, ever own one. Over-complicated, under-designed, with catastrophic failure as the inevitable result of a broken $50 part.

I recommend you stay away from tractors and farm machinery. laugh

Most failures are due to very low cost parts.
This market is unlike anything probably ever in the auto sales industry. Certainly in my lifetime. Used trucks accruing in value after four years? When has that happened before?

Good luck trying to get $25-$30K for a vehicle in a private sale. Most financing companies won't loan that much to someone for a private sale. So you have to find a buyer with 40% or more cash on hand, and they have to get a loan for the balance.

Dealers know this. Which is why they do what they do on late model trade ins.
Posted By: EdM Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21

Yep.
Posted By: joken2 Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21

With this new Maverick "truck" being front wheel drive, no standard size cab and the 4 wheel drive option really just AWD with no low range, to me it's basically just a compact 4 dr SUV with the cargo area cut down to a light hauler bed .

I give it 5 years tops and production will likely be phased.

As always, YMMV...

Posted By: hookeye Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Maybe the Subaru Baja needs to come back
If WE were a cross section of the entire market, its demise might be easy to predict, but we are not. Who knows.

That wouldn't be my first choice for a vehicle but if I had to choose between it and one of the ubiquitous BUTT-ugly crossovers, I'd buy the Maverick every time. Crossovers are loathsome vehicles.
Originally Posted by hookeye

Do you mean Brat? Or was there a Baja too?

Although it's rated for it I suspect traction when towing could be a bit on the dicey side at times like on wet pavement, loose gravel, sharper uphill grades, etc., with the tongue weight on the rear and the drive wheels on the front.

Originally Posted by RiverRider

The Baja was basically a 4dr Subaru station wagon with the cargo area made into a short truck bed like the new Ford Maverick is.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Posted By: Valsdad Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21

Years ago I thought about one..........................................

but stuck with the wagons.

On my '84 I calculated out the interior cube feet. It would hold 1/3 a cord of wood with the seats folded down. And seeing as how I worked for a timber company, many times it did haul that much home. Loaded to the bump stops on the rear frame!

30+ MPG, low range transmission, nearly 8" ground clearance, it took me hunting in many places and surprised a lot of 4wd truck owners when they met me out there. "You took that thing out this road to get here?" Well, what did they expect, I had it dropped in by helicopter?

If I wasn't PO'd at Subaru for being screwed on a repair by one of their dealers, I'd likely be out looking for another of those old wagons in good shape.

Now, if Toyota decides to compete with Ford, and comes out with an under $30k "truck" of their own, the world my be their oyster. Friggen Tacomas are now nearly the size of an older pick up, and the new full size trucks are oversized to my thinking. And with many of them over $50K and most higher than that, they're way out of my price range.
But, will it raise the testosterone levels for the Soccer Dad's?

Something this country desperately needs.

Originally Posted by joken2

Although it's rated for it I suspect traction when towing could be a bit on the dicey side at times like on wet pavement, loose gravel, sharper uphill grades, etc., with the tongue weight on the rear and the drive wheels on the front.

Posted By: noKnees Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
It looks like it shares a fair bit of drive train similarity with the Escape. I have had escape awd as a company car every year since the new model was introduced and I typically do around 35-42K a year on them. For a while I was on a 1 year plan but am on the last 3 are three year plans. I do a bit of towing , a utility trailer, a 17ft bass tracker and a 19ft Ski Nautique. I also tow with a 2004 jeep liberty and a 2004 ram 2500 5.7l.

The escape does well enough with the lighter trailers, enough power, stops well ( neither of my two lighter trailers has brakes). Its a short wheel base hauler which is good or bad depending. Its nice for maneuvering, in fact I often switched the ski boat over to the jeep or escape to fit it into the spot in my garage which requires a turn and then fit into a spot only a foot wider than the boat. However the short wheel basees don't track well when doing stuff like braking on dirt going downhill. Even with the 2.0EB the escape and Jeep with the 3.7 struggle on a good grade with the ski boat (say 1200ft elevation at 7% grade) They can do it at 55mph but its often nearly floored to keep the speed.

As for me I would have no trouble with the Maverick if I just had the utility trailer and bass tracker, but I don't really feel the Escape or Maverick would have the power or stability for comfortable trailering of a 3500/4000lb boat for more than a short haul.

If the Maverick drives like the escape it should be nice responsive vehicle for general driving.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
I've seen too many repair videos on new Fords to never, ever own one.
You've never seen 'repair videos' on GM or Dodge??? LMAO... Try a search - you may be quite surprised.
Over-complicated, under-designed, with catastrophic failure as the inevitable result of a broken $50 part.
That encompasses ALL of them, period...

When I was in the car biz I worked most of my years at GM dealerships.. Trust me - the service departments were never lacking in work.. smile

A couple of weeks back had to have my 98 Ford Explorer towed in to the dealer because it just would not start. Not even when we tried a jumper cable. No starter chatter, nothing but silence. They said it would be at least 5 days to a week before they could even look at it. That doesn't make me feel too good about my 2019 F150. My late wife naked the Explorer Big Red and it was her car. I'm thinking of naming that F150 the Gun Boat. Either that of The Tank. No bad on the highway but a tank in town.
Paul B.
Did you check the.......oh, never mind.

That's really weird......a 23 year old vehicle, having a problem.

Probably had just 30,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted by PJGunner

A couple of weeks back had to have my 98 Ford Explorer towed in to the dealer because it just would not start. Not even when we tried a jumper cable. No starter chatter, nothing but silence. They said it would be at least 5 days to a week before they could even look at it. That doesn't make me feel too good about my 2019 F150. My late wife naked the Explorer Big Red and it was her car. I'm thinking of naming that F150 the Gun Boat. Either that of The Tank. No bad on the highway but a tank in town.
Paul B.

Posted By: Deans Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21

Or operators (big ?) that keep pushing the bypass regen button until the tractor no longer runs and the dealer gets a call to fix $$$.
Yea, maybe most, but not all. Some are from owner abuse.

Stupid should hurt........and it has.

I plead guilty, your Honor.

Last new Ford I'll buy.

No struts on a tailgate=garbage?

For something badged as a lariat?
Yeah
This market is unlike anything probably ever in the auto sales industry. Certainly in my lifetime. Used trucks accruing in value after four years? When has that happened before?

Good luck trying to get $25-$30K for a vehicle in a private sale. Most financing companies won't loan that much to someone for a private sale. So you have to find a buyer with 40% or more cash on hand, and they have to get a loan for the balance.

Dealers know this. Which is why they do what they do on late model trade ins.

I think a big part of it, there is a severe shortage of new vehicles due to supply chain, so the demand is peaked for *any* truck at the moment, meaning used prices are jacked up...at least temporarily.

also, Subaru is coming out with a new version of the Baja, basically one of their SUV's with the back end lopped off. Also Hyundai has a similar vehicle out now.
Looks like a very practical vehicle for a large proportion of the truck-buying public. I wish they’d kept the body-on-frame trucks sensibly proportioned instead. This is basically an Escape with a truck bed. Perfect for moving stuff around in the city, but maybe not as useful to sportsmen or rural people.

I bought my low mileage basic 2dr 2019 Nissan Frontier for close to that a year ago. 20,000 miles later no problems, after twenty years driving Corollas tho I’m not really a fan of 18mpg.
that guy always gets to review cars before they come out. I'm not sure how he swings that.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
This should be the perfect workhorse for Beaver and DuckofDeath lol
You're full of it.

Beaver would never trade off the Mary Kay.

Originally Posted by BobBrown
Posted By: BobBrown Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
You're full of it.

Oh the pink Cadillac pickup (avalurch)
LMAO
Posted By: JPro Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by mountaineer89
Looks like a very practical vehicle for a large proportion of the truck-buying public. I wish they’d kept the body-on-frame trucks sensibly proportioned instead. This is basically an Escape with a truck bed. Perfect for moving stuff around in the city, but maybe not as useful to sportsmen or rural people.

It's not really for me, but I think there's a market for it. Lots of folks could use a less expensive Honda Ridgeline for daily driver use. A guy who racks up a lot of commute/work miles but also has an older full-size truck at home could probably also make sense out of it. I'd certainly lean toward the turbo/8spd AWD version for general use.
that guy always gets to review cars before they come out. I'm not sure how he swings that.

He's got 4 million car guys as subscribers
Posted By: deflave Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Small 2WD drive pickups get a lot of work done.

Unless they’re a POS.
If you can get that with 4WD & less than 30K out the door, it's going to be a success.

The Dodge Rampage and Plymouth Scamp of the early '80s were also compact front wheel drive unibody vehicles with continuous body panel pickup beds sure didn't stay in production long.
Looks like a Honda Ridgeline.

Ford Maverick
Posted By: savage24 Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

He needs to cut back on the caffeine. He was hard for me to watch.

The Dodge Rampage and Plymouth Scamp of the early '80s were also compact front wheel drive unibody vehicles with continuous body panel pickup beds sure didn't stay in production long.

What was their tow and cargo capacity? What kind of ground clearance did they have?
Originally Posted by savage24

yea, I know he's popular, I just don't understand why
Originally Posted by savage24

yea, I know he's popular, I just don't understand why

He is rather an odd fellow.

What was their tow and cargo capacity? What kind of ground clearance did they have?

Their load capacity was 1,145 lbs (which was half the 'curb' weight of the vehicle itself) and rated as a half ton. Can't find specs on ground clearance or tow cap.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
You're full of it.

LMAO

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
It's like a Smart Truck for the dude that everyone calls "bitch"
Originally Posted by Beaver10
You're full of it.

LMAO

🦫

Nice view from my Mary Kay office….

Laffin

🦫
Posted By: Dutch Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
I think we all agree it’s a pickup truck in name only.

The concept has been tried many times, from the venerable Volkswagen rabbit/pickup to the El Camino. The Baja, Brat, Sport Trac, etc, all tried it. The only ones that made it were a) cheap and b) had a pretty useable sized bed. Those old Volkswagen pickups, especially the ones with the 50 mpg diesels, ran around for lawn crews etc until the wheels literally fell off.

The ones like the Explorer Sport Trac, that had almost no bed (and/or it was stupid high) didn’t sell hardly at all. If this thing has a low enough bed a guy can just run a lawn mower in it so he doesn’t need to pull a trailer, when changing customers, there’s a market.
I had forgot about the Sport Trac based on the Explorer platform, I do recall their resale value was higher than the Explorer but those years the Explorer was garbage (and I assume the Sport Trac wasn't far behind with the no dipstick transmissions that cratered at 80K)

phuggin Fords
Golly Gosh, Beav.

Take a joke!

🦫
Posted By: Valsdad Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
Now these were cool "pickups". Always wanted one. Way better looking than the present Escalade version.

[Linked Image from blog.consumerguide.com]
Golly Gosh, Beav.

Take a joke!

🦫

Magic Mike, it was nothing but love.

🦫
Good thing.......thought I was losing my charisma.

Golly Gosh, Beav.

Take a joke!

🦫

Magic Mike, it was nothing but love.

🦫

Posted By: rickt300 Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/09/21
When I think of a Maverick I think of the little cars from back in the 70's. Early "Economy" cars not all that handsome either. Seems like most of them were a light blue.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Now these were cool "pickups". Always wanted one. Way better looking than the present Escalade version.

Rancheroo?
I noted in the other maverick thread, I think the market is prime for a mini pickup.

Look at all the full sized pu that are getting groceries at 18mpg. For what a big part of truck owners use them for,, I think these will sell well.
Posted By: GeoW Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
Made in Hermosillo, Mexico. Say no more!

g
You're full of it.

LMAO

🦫

Beav.

Dude, you were a little rough on ol Bob Brown’s hemorrhoids there.
Please clean up after fisting that sockpuppet. M’kay?
Hope that POS comes with a rainbow sticker. Gayer than AIDS.
We need the diesel Hilux.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
You're full of it.

LMAO

🦫

Beav.

I’m sorry, pard !

Me and BobbyBrownButt had a little mixup on his safe word the last few nights.

I need to listen better when he has the gag ball in his mouth.

My bad...

🦫
Posted By: Valsdad Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by GeoW
Made in Hermosillo, Mexico. Say no more!

g

No no no.

It's American...............it's a Ford.

No more American than a Tacoma anymore.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Rancheroo?

What an insult.

That is a genuine GM product.

A Cadillac.

Used as "Flower Cars" in funeral processions for bigwigs.
Posted By: joken2 Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21

I guess time will tell whether this attempt at marketing another of this type of vehicle will be a lasting success.

Historically, though, there have been several other similar subcompact "truck" type vehicles as this produced over the years and none have lasted very long, at least not in the U.S. market.

Ford's New Maverick
Posted By: g5m Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21

Originally Posted by High_Noon

The Ford info even shows a couple of bags of mulch. Good call!
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
You're full of it.

LMAO

🦫

Beav.

I’m sorry, pard !

Me and BobbyBrownButt had a little mixup on his safe word the last few nights.

I need to listen better when he has the gag ball in his mouth.

My bad...

🦫

Well, you’re forgiven. This time.
😂
Posted By: duck911 Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
Just another choice for consumers, which is great!

Love it or not, the market will decide if it succeeds. It may have a fighting chance with the small truck, good mileage, family crowd.

But, it's not for me. My 2019 Tundra is paid off and has 11,000 miles on it. (I don't have to drive far for elk, deer, and ducks in Colorado). I will be in that truck for at least 10 more years.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
The 6.5 Creedmoor guys outta love this truck.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

How about the VW rabbit? There was a small station wagon with the ass end cut off.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
The 6.5 Creedmoor guys outta love this truck.

+1
Posted By: 338Rules Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by cv540

Hauling mulch, or a couple garbage cans to the dump in a vehicle that a 30 something can still use to commute to work and park more easily than a full size truck, while getting car mileage, would be the purpose that it serves.

Hafta crush your beer cans, to conserve bed space when you’re running em in to recycling 😀
Originally Posted by duck911

But, it's not for me. My 2019 Tundra is paid off and has 11,000 miles on it. (I don't have to drive far for elk, deer, and ducks in Colorado). I will be in that truck for at least 10 more years.

You're so full of sheit
Posted By: KFWA Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
While estimated combined fuel economy is a targeted 37 mpg, this trucklet is built to thrive in cities.

That powertrain mates to a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that turns the front wheels exclusively...........

yikes
Posted By: BobBrown Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by duck911
Just another choice for consumers, which is great!

Love it or not, the market will decide if it succeeds. It may have a fighting chance with the small truck, good mileage, family crowd.

Paid for with sports betting earnings no doubt. I hope you report all those to Uncle Joey. Hunter will be four wheeling the schidt outta your Tundra before you know it.
Posted By: Redneck Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
While estimated combined fuel economy is a targeted 37 mpg, this trucklet is built to thrive in cities.

Agreed...especially for inner-city delivery stuff like car parts, couriers, small-service companies.. Too bad they can't bring back that little 2.0L diesel they had back in the mid-80s... About 45 MPG+ and it would still start easily at -30F...

That powertrain mates to a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that turns the front wheels exclusively...........

yikes

That's on the smaller engine. The larger engine has (I believe) an 8-speed auto and an AWD option.

and the 4 wheel drive option really just AWD with no low range, to me it's basically just a compact 4 dr SUV

If you haven't looked at GM 1/2 ton trucks in a while you'll be in for a shocker. 2-speed transfer cases are quickly becoming a thing of the past unfortunately. The majority of 4x4 GM 1/2 tons have the glorifed mall crawler button (AWD) or 4 hi only.
You're right. Pretty much any make of new vehicle has this disastrous design mentality.

You're better off spending that money to restore a 1993 Suburban or something along those lines.
Posted By: broomd Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21

And that is exactly who will buy this: Gardeners, dog owners, kayakers, city folks who want to haul occasionally.....suburban folks who don't want an F350 10 liter'd beast.

I'm not a huge Ford fan,or even a fan of 'hybrid' anything, but this concept is a winner for many Americans.
Posted By: Cluggins Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21
What kind of quality can we get out of our COVID reduced work forces and the new hires that so many companies will have?
Originally Posted by Cluggins
What kind of quality can we get out of our COVID reduced work forces and the new hires that so many companies will have?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: joken2 Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/10/21

Originally Posted by broomd

And that is exactly who will buy this: Gardeners, dog owners, kayakers, city folks who want to haul occasionally.....suburban folks who don't want an F350 10 liter'd beast.

I'm not a huge Ford fan,or even a fan of 'hybrid' anything, but this concept is a winner for many Americans.

Again, time will tell I guess but the passenger car based vehicles with small truck beds thing is not anything new and none of those previous versions lasted in the U.S. market.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
Originally Posted by Cluggins

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That’s perfect for the Duck of Death . Should hold a nice supply of PPE in the back plus golf clubs

LOL

Again, time will tell I guess but the passenger car based vehicles with small truck beds thing is not anything new and none of those previous versions lasted in the U.S. market.

I don't know that I can agree with that. The Ranchero was built for 22 years, and the El Camino for longer.

But they were not a "pickup" let alone a truck. They were passenger cars converted to a single seat and the trunk lid removed.

As are every other similar attempt mentioned in this thread, and as is this new Ford.

The new Maverick would make make a viable replacement for the Subaru Wagon, without the benefit of water proof cargo area.
Posted By: joken2 Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/26/21

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I don't know that I can agree with that. The Ranchero was built for 22 years, and the El Camino for longer.

But they were not a "pickup" let alone a truck. They were passenger cars converted to a single seat and the trunk lid removed.

As are every other similar attempt mentioned in this thread, and as is this new Ford.

The new Maverick would make make a viable replacement for the Subaru Wagon, without the benefit of water proof cargo area.

True about the Ranchero and El Camino but their longevity was more about the available options, muscle-car styling, car-like ride and high performance V8 engines so popular in that era than anything else. Also, unlike nowadays, traditional trucks of that era were by design relatively basic work dedicated vehicles.
Posted By: Ringman Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/26/21

Some people prefer ignorant prejudice. That way they don't have to consider the facts.
Posted By: greydog Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/26/21
I had a 1972 Chevy, shortbox, stepside, which would be considered a compact truck in today's market. I drove it for twelve years. If Toyota or Nissan or Mazda just made the trucks they made in the early '90's, with no bells and whistles and with minor improvements, we could have good compact trucks. They would need to lock the electrical engineers and computer geeks out of the room during the design phase and rely more on mechanics for input. GD
Posted By: smarquez Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by viking
It’s about time someone came out with a little pickup again that gets some decent mileage.

Not everyone needs a 40k truck or a diesel to pull stumps.

40K? For the truck I want I would pay 40K all day long.
Posted By: smarquez Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/26/21
my 15 f250 xl has heated seats. i just need to hit the taco bell first.

Hit Taco Bell first then Taco Bell hits back. laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Finally.... The voice of reason....

I am not a Ford fan. However, if Ford can deliver that truck in base trim with solid 40 mpg for $20K OTD, I would be interested. Perfect parts runner. I would much rather drive that Maverick around town filling gas cans, chasing hardware, a couple bags of sackrete, etc, than a Prius or my current diesel Dodge.

However, as above, really wish Toyota would just sell current model diesel Hilux trucks in the U.S. like they do every other market in the world...
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Finally.... The voice of reason....

I am not a Ford fan. However, if Ford can deliver that truck in base trim with solid 40 mpg for $20K OTD, I would be interested. Perfect parts runner. I would much rather drive that Maverick around town filling gas cans, chasing hardware, a couple bags of sackrete, etc, than a Prius or my current diesel Dodge.

However, as above, really wish Toyota would just sell current model diesel Hilux trucks in the U.S. like they do every other market in the world...

I’m sure they’d love to.
Thank LBJ’s chicken tax firstly for the 25% tariff on light trucks and US automakers who felt they needed an “advantage” over foreign makers so they wouldn’t have to compete against reliability and bullet proof dependability. Wish Toyota would jump into mid duty trucks and offer a 3/4 and 1 ton truck.
Diesel land cruiser 70 series even mo betta….

Ford Maverick? JFC….rolled up jean cuffs, pre distressed work boots, man buns and stay home dads. As Conrad would say, Gayer than aids.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: more on the Ford Maverick - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by greydog
I had a 1972 Chevy, shortbox, stepside, which would be considered a compact truck in today's market. I drove it for twelve years. If Toyota or Nissan or Mazda just made the trucks they made in the early '90's, with no bells and whistles and with minor improvements, we could have good compact trucks. They would need to lock the electrical engineers and computer geeks out of the room during the design phase and rely more on mechanics for input. GD

i had a 73 chevy short bed, with a 350v8. duel exhausts and a good carb, along with headers.
had that truck to about 83, stupid me traded on a x10 blazer. if the truck had had 4x4 i think i would still have it
© 24hourcampfire