Home
Posted By: Jiveturkey Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Anyone own one? Was thinking of getting my dad one for father's day. He's got a stihl that's practically new, but I'm the only one that can use it. He's got bad shoulders, and I'm thinking a 10 or 12" dewalt might be useful. Any experience , are they any count?
I want one for fishing.

I float fish in a John boat on a small creek.

It changes from year to year depending on how much
It floods each winter.

Battery chainsaw would sure make getting through treetops and limbs easy.

No more than if use it looked at the $220 green works that northern tool sells.

I went to that store but no display. Just in the box.

If i was gonna use one a bunch, I’d go Milwaukee fuel.
Posted By: Caplock Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I love my Ryobi chainsaw, blower, and limb trimmer.....all use the same 40V battery and a charge last a good while. The chainsaw will buzz through 4-6 in limbs in grand fashion.
I’ve never used one but for someone older in age that needs a saw for taking out shrubs and such around the house they probably make a lot of sense and would work great. Would definitely beat using loppers or a handsaw.
Originally Posted by Caplock
I love my Ryobi chainsaw, blower, and limb trimmer.....all use the same 40V battery and a charge last a good while. The chainsaw will buzz through 4-6 in limbs in grand fashion.

That sounds good. I reckon I'll go this week & get him one.
Originally Posted by Caplock

That’s pretty impressive. I wouldn’t have thought they’d work well on limbs that size but then again a 40V battery is some serious juice.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
my wife loves hers for yard work if stuff is to big for her sawzall . it is the riobe 18 vt.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I have the Ryobi 8” chain saw, 18 volts batteries. It is a very useful tool and I keep it in the basket rack on my 4 whlr.

Comes in mighty handy.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Sitka Deer has the Stihl version. I seem to remember him giving a review.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I bought the Milwaukee a few weeks ago. Used it for a few hours cleaning up some trails. Pretty awesome tool. Battery life seems really great. Only complaint is that it leaves a puddle of bar oil on the shelf.

I was in a store yesterday that had the Stihl electric saws. Considerably lighter than the Milwaukee fwiw. That kinda surprised me.
My son bought me a 40v weed wacker, & it has been great for 2 years. Was skeptical at first, but I like it. Lord knows I can ruin a gas operated one. Last few I had lasted a season ( used ethanol gas ).
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I've got the fuel pole saw. My understanding is their chainsaw is very similar in bar length and power. As higginez says it does leak oil but its a beast for power and battery life.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Green works 40v.

Blows through limbs up to 6" diameter.

Surprised the hell outta me.
Posted By: WMR Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I looked at the Husqvarna and the smaller Stihl one. Bought the Stihl saw and couldn’t be happier. It was smaller than the Husky and does light cutting chores with ease. Lots of cutting on a charge, which is good because a replacement battery is $$. Stihl makes a larger saw which did not fit my needs or budget. Other brands may be as good for all I know, but I’d buy this one again.
What type of wood, will it do ok on hardwoods.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

Obviously for light duty.

I use it when I hit my head on a low limb, and that MF'ers goin down RIGHT NOW.

But it's taken out oak, bout the hardest wood I got.
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21

I've zipped though 4" maple limbs and smaller cedars and pine limbs. No oak to speak of yet.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Obviously for light duty.

I use it when I hit my head on a low limb, and that MF'ers goin down RIGHT NOW.

But it's taken out oak, bout the hardest wood I got.

Cool
That’s hard enough for a good review.
I got the dewalt good little saw for grabbing and trimming limbs easier than dragging out the gas saw and wearing my self out trying to start the damn thing for a 10 minute job
Posted By: hanco Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Neighbor has the 40 volt Ryobi. I was impressed!!!
Originally Posted by MARCEL

I've zipped though 4" maple limbs and smaller cedars and pine limbs. No oak to speak of yet.

Lots of cedar and mix hardwood saplings is what I would try it out on. Mainly cutting trails and shooting lanes around stands.

Hate to haul any gasoline or oil around some of my stands. Much less spew blue 2 stroke smoke all around a month before opening weekend.

Been using a Bosch 18v recip saw with a diablo pruning blade. Works ok for stuff up to 2-3”. With 3 extra batteries.
I have a Stihl and couldn't be happier. I have made a living with gas saws for 40+ years. Zipping oak is no problem as long as you keep it sharp. I actually find using it enjoyable.

WS
Posted By: keith Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I was ready to go electric on weedeaters and chain saws when a friend told me about this product: Problem solved!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-50-1-Pre-mixed-Fuel-Oil-6525638/202532877
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Another very good and useful tool that I have is the Ryobi extendable pole saw. 8”, 18 volts batteries. It is great for trimming higher limbs and reaches out really far and cuts big limbs well.
Posted By: fortymile Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I got the Milwaukee. It's a beast! I have several other 18V Milwaukee tools that use the same battery, that's the main reason I went with the brand, but I'm very happy with it.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I started to get me one. But as far as know every phugin one of them is made in china. Phug them bastards... I’ll cut my wood with a pocket knife before I send my money to em.
I got my Dad a Ryobi 40v a couple years ago. It's become our go to for running around keeping the trails cleared off. Got the polesaw, weedeater, and leaf blower since.
Posted By: Buck720 Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Milwaukee here wouldn’t think about another brand.
My 18V Ryobi is the only one of their tools I do not like. It doesn't have enough velocity. When trying to cut small flexible limbs, it has a tendency to bounce.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Do they come with a vagina card? 😁
Originally Posted by WhopperStopper
I have a Stihl and couldn't be happier. I have made a living with gas saws for 40+ years. Zipping oak is no problem as long as you keep it sharp. I actually find using it enjoyable.

WS

What diameter logs can you cut with it.

Could you cut a 1/2 a pickup bed full with one charge?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
We have a 20v 12" DeWalt that does well.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Echo for the win.

Posted By: Torg Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Lotta info here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBZt8m1XkQ
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Bout 1-1/2 minutes late.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I have the 18volt Milwaukee Chainsaw, polesaw, and their little 12 volt chainsaw. I love them all the 18 volt chainsaw is great cuts up a pile of firewood in no time. Awesome for camping. The little 12 volt is probably more impressive than the 18 volt just because of how much wood you can actually cut with it for a tiny package.
In true campfire tradition...

Stihl makes a gas saw with easy start.
Some gizmo in the starter, it winds a spring as you pull the rope,
Then releases it.

For infrequent use a battery would be better.
But I hate batteries.
Seem to get no life from them, don't use them enough.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I've got the fuel pole saw. My understanding is their chainsaw is very similar in bar length and power. As higginez says it does leak oil but its a beast for power and battery life.

It doesn't leak. What both of you are experiencing is drain back from the bar and chain, All saws will do this if they are providing enough oil to the bar and chain. If you aren't getting drain back you ain't getting enough oil on your chain.

The solution is simple, fold a rag and lay it under the saw.

And yes The Fuel is an incredible saw, I no longer have any gas saws, I also do not heat with wood anymore or I would have gas saws.
Ryobi makes a small that uses an 18 volt battery that don't weight much.

The rakers might need a trim some but it does a good job on limbs.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Bought the 60v DeWalt 16" and it's a beast I'm here to tell you. Plenty of power to rip through anything I've thrown at it so far. Drinks oil fast so you have to keep an eye on that. I also recommend getting 2 other batteries. Takes 30 min to get a full charge and the battery lasts about 45 min with constant use. Great limb saw....
Posted By: Morewood Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by mirage243

Speaking of vaginas my wife bought me an electric Martha Stewart pole saw for Christmas a few years ago.

That thing eats up the wood.
I got the makita 14” battery saw for Christmas this year and it’s great
It uses the thin chains which can dull fast so I bought a few replacements by Oregon and they are an easy change out also bought a few extra batteries. I have used it more to clear jeep trails than to stack cord wood but with a few spare chains and batteries I could fill a truck bed easily. I really like it in the jeep better than a gas saw leaking on the floor boards.
I have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher and now that we have a battery powered leaf blower, string trimmer , and push mower that are all the same brand and voltage I keep a gallon of premixed gas for the saw. If I had a need for a smaller saw I'd get a battery powered one.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Glad i read all the post,Sure beats carrying a gas saw and cans through the woods on a 4 wheeler 2 batteries would be better.Seen them in Walmart but was iffy about a electric chainsaw.I have a electric weed eater and blower they work good.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
My pops has a 14in still battery and he is 86 with lots of med problems and can use it with ease. I have a 60 volt 16 in green works and the battery will outlast me.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I have the 18volt Milwaukee Chainsaw, polesaw, and their little 12 volt chainsaw. I love them all the 18 volt chainsaw is great cuts up a pile of firewood in no time. Awesome for camping. The little 12 volt is probably more impressive than the 18 volt just because of how much wood you can actually cut with it for a tiny package.

My man, I'd probably be willing to my farm (if I had one) that you're one who'll never in this life have another serious injury with things that cut and tear and mangle body parts. Both me & bro have departed bits as well I count on both...Wait, bad example. Anyway, you seem a good dude with a ton of spirit and guts. I'd hate it if you got hit again. One crazy bastard I recall from childhood lost a finger to a M-80, two more to a joiner then an eye a few years later. With peg leg and parrot he'd have made a damned fine pirate. He was a gin man, I just remembered... lol
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Went with the Makita 36v. got one in the arborist configuration. At my work we continually destroyed milwaulkee and dewalt wares. Our employees on the orchard could destroy everything but the Makita tools held up well.

So I got a Makita elec arborist saw which works as well as my old Stilh gas aborists saw with no gas and I have plenty of other 18v batteries from my other tools.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21

Yesterday borrowed a 40V Ryobi to cut off a bunch a limbs - it works very well - no vagina anywhere - has teats.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
I have the Ryobi 8” chain saw, 18 volts batteries. It is a very useful tool and I keep it in the basket rack on my 4 whlr.

Comes in mighty handy.

I've got the same chainsaw and a pole saw also. Never imagined they would work as well as they do. Not sure my 18 volt Ryobi will ever replace my gasoline chainsaw, but nice not having to gas up and worry about old fuel, spark plug and such for small tree trimming and such after a heavy thunderstorm for cleanup. Handy for trimming deer trails also.

If the hand held lithium’s are like the big ones (I’m pretty sure they are but could be wrong).

DO NOT EVER CHARGE A LITHIUM ION BATTERY WHEN THE BATTERY IS BELOW OR NEAR FREEZING or you can easily ruin it.....

Instead of charging internally they “plate” - normally the absorb the ion’s, but if it’s too cold they build up on the surface and coat it so it can never charge / work again.

The battery’s work fine in Cold - BUT you have to warm them up to charge them.

If you look at Battleborn or Relion Lithium marine batteries - they have internal battery heaters so you don’t ruin them when you charge them.

I have an 80V Kobalt from Lowes. I got it because when I needed it, it and the DeWalt were the only ones on the shelves in town. Some friends have the DeWalt. They're very similar except the Kobalt has a quick charger. It will charge in half the time of the Dewalt...unless Dewalt has changed the charger since I bought it a couple years ago.

For trimming and light cutting, they're great. What they will cut is largely dependent on the chain quality and sharpness. Kobalt uses a standard Oregon chain and bar.

Something I learned about the Kobalt and it also applies to some other brands: Charging a lithium battery below about 30 degrees F will seriously damage the battery. Even doing it 1 time can destroy it. That applies to all tools with lithiums, not just the saws. Kobalt has a built in shut off in the charger. It won't charge below about 30. That's a bit inconvenient for cutting up firewood in the winter but it's the same with any of your battery tools. Store your batteries inside and warm them up before charging them. You can use them when cold with no problem. It's the cold weather charging that ruins them.

Only complaint is that it leaves a puddle of bar oil on the shelf.
You can say that for about any chainsaw with a self oiler on the market. A self oiler is designed to dump oil on the bar and it doesn't have to be running to do it. The surest fix is to pour out the oil before you store it. Or, you can set it in an old cookie sheet or maybe try storing it laying on it's side.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21

Should be able to use the one you already have. grin
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
#BristoeEndorsedForCanePatch
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by Morewood

Speaking of vaginas my wife bought me an electric Martha Stewart pole saw for Christmas a few years ago.

That thing eats up the wood.

Something ate my wood over and over Tuesday.

#Hoover
Posted By: Raeford Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I started to get me one. But as far as know every phugin one of them is made in china. Phug them bastards... I’ll cut my wood with a pocket knife before I send my money to em.

This^^ is why I went to the professional "China" store to get a battery pole saw.
Didn't need anything fancy and have 3 gas chainsaws.

Bauer 8" pole saw for limbing some high ups over our deck in Tenn.
Came with a Oregon bar and chain[surprising]
Ran it pretty hard[a couple of 5-6" limbs of varying hardness].
About 45 minutes of run time and it still has near full charge on battery.
I so seldom use a pole saw that I just got a corded one and use my generator. Yes, the saw was made in China. So was the generator. So's about everything else you buy these days. If you got rid of everything made in China, you'd be living in a cave.
Posted By: TheSOB Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Bought the Hyper Tough 40 V when it was clearanced out at Walmart. I use it for yard work and when we go camping to cut firewood. It's the lower end of the scale, but no complaints and well worth what I paid for it.
These battery saws are great for camping. You can cut a weekend's worth of firewood in 30 min. No gas to haul around and you can put it in the back of an SUV with no gas smell. I just put it in a leaf bag to keep the oil from leaking.
Posted By: Cluggins Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by BobBrown
#BristoeEndorsedForCanePatch

This must have gone down before my time.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I have a 12" Dewalt. Love it for small stuff up to 4" and limbing. Long battery life. I have several Stihl gas saws for anything larger.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
My neighbor has a Dewalt battery operated chainsaw, he uses it to cut up smaller limbs into rounds for his fire pit, works great. I'm thinking about getting one for the wife for her b-day.
I ordered the dewalt 20v this morning. He already has a drill & impact with same brand & voltage. Thank you all for the recommendations.👍
Posted By: Windfall Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I just weighed my Stihl MS150C at 7 pounds 9 ounces full of gas and oil. I'd be interested if your electric is lighter. I suppose Lithium batteries are better than what I used in my old weed wacker, but that gas saw has been running way longer than that electric weed wacker ever did.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Anyone own one? Was thinking of getting my dad one for father's day. He's got a stihl that's practically new, but I'm the only one that can use it. He's got bad shoulders, and I'm thinking a 10 or 12" dewalt might be useful. Any experience , are they any count?

Check out the videos on You Tube from "Project Farm". He has two pretty extensive reviews of most of the top battery saws.............just search battery chain saws.
Originally Posted by Windfall
I just weighed my Stihl MS150C at 7 pounds 9 ounces full of gas and oil. I'd be interested if your electric is lighter. I suppose Lithium batteries are better than what I used in my old weed wacker, but that gas saw has been running way longer than that electric weed wacker ever did.
For the most part, battery saws are heavier. Those batteries are big. Replacement batteries are expensive, too. Kobalt makes their 18" saw in 2 battery sizes: 2 AH and 5 AH. The 2 is $200, the 5 is $400. For small jobs around home, the 2 is plenty. If you're cutting firewood a lot, the 5 is worth the money.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
I've got the EGO 56v. Have yet to find it lacking for what I do around the house/yard. Mostly limbing and small stuff up to 6". I've got the EGO 56v weed trimmer and leaf blower, each with its own 56v battery, so battery life/availability is genraaly not a concern.
Posted By: g5m Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/10/21
Home Depot had a deal on the Ryobi for Father's Day at $99 for the 8 inch 18 volt compact saw and battery charger and two batteries. Of course they aren't available.
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag

It doesn't leak. What both of you are experiencing is drain back from the bar and chain, All saws will do this if they are providing enough oil to the bar and chain. If you aren't getting drain back you ain't getting enough oil on your chain.

And yes The Fuel is an incredible saw, I no longer have any gas saws, I also do not heat with wood anymore or I would have gas saws.

Lol that's exactly what I've done. More a observation than a gripe I guess.
Sure like my EGO. Handles most jobs for the occasional user.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
A battery saw no way cuts as fast as a gas saw, that;s not what they are about.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by keith
I was ready to go electric on weedeaters and chain saws when a friend told me about this product: Problem solved!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-50-1-Pre-mixed-Fuel-Oil-6525638/202532877

that all I use in my chainsaw, starts first pull every time.
Posted By: Caplock Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I remove the battery and stand the saw on that end with the blade pointed up....end of problem
Posted By: 1minute Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
No electric experience, but I'd speculate they're fine for a few minutes of typical yard work. Yesterday, however, I ran a saw for 4 hours working up next winter's firewood. I doubt electric would have even taken the tree down.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey

I do not own one but recently used a Husqvarna at a crosscut and felling course...it was fine on small stuff and would be my go to for trimming in the gardens or for the grey nomads who want the facility to gather a bit of firewood whilst travelling.

Definitely not for heavy cutting or cutting winter firewood.
Posted By: jimone Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
I have 40 volt 16" Greenworks that I've used on 2' dia. pine and 16" dia. oak with no problem. It will cut about 1/4 cord on a charge. About like me.
Best part is the quiet. I have had deer walk up while cutting.
Haven't started the Stihl since I got it.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21

WS

Depends upon what Amp Hr battery you have. 5-AmpHr 20V DeWalt on a 12" 20V saw would get pretty close to that. I went DeWalt because I have a bunch of batteries for other tools already. Half-dozen 4's and a couple of flex-volt 6's will last a lot longer than I'm willing to cut.

I went battery powered because:

1. I use a chainsaw just often enough that the summbitch would never run if I had a gas model
2. The vast majority of my usage is trimming branches, not felling trees.
3. I don't need/use the trim-branches I cut down for anything.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
I recently purchased an Echo 58 Volt chainsaw and string trimmer. They both work great. I bought an extra 4 amp hour battery. I can do a lot of cutting before my batteries run out. The batteries will charge in about 1 1/2 hours.

Ron
The biggest advantage of electrics is the ease of use and low maintenance. Chain sharpening is the same either way. If the chain quality, speed, and sharpness are the same, an electric will cut as fast as a gas. You have to know the chains of both saws to compare them. If you have a quick charger and a generator or inverter to keep a 2d battery charged, an electric will keep you cutting all day.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by 1minute
No electric experience, but I'd speculate they're fine for a few minutes of typical yard work. Yesterday, however, I ran a saw for 4 hours working up next winter's firewood. I doubt electric would have even taken the tree down.

I think you’d be surprised by what they will do.

Cuttin sons of bītches.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by Higginez
Originally Posted by 1minute

I think you’d be surprised by what they will do.

Cuttin sons of bītches.

Especially if you get one that plugs into the wall. Plus they are quiet.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by horse1

WS

Depends upon what Amp Hr battery you have. 5-AmpHr 20V DeWalt on a 12" 20V saw would get pretty close to that. I went DeWalt because I have a bunch of batteries for other tools already. Half-dozen 4's and a couple of flex-volt 6's will last a lot longer than I'm willing to cut.

I went battery powered because:

1. I use a chainsaw just often enough that the summbitch would never run if I had a gas model
2. The vast majority of my usage is trimming branches, not felling trees.
3. I don't need/use the trim-branches I cut down for anything.

Thanks for the review, I’ll keep that in mind about the Amp Hr
Posted By: 1minute Re: Battery powered chainsaw - 06/12/21
I have had deer walk up while cutting.

Yes. Deer and elk in our PNW forest seek out fallen trees to consume a brown moss or lichen that grows in the branches. I've been running my Stihl on the butt end and had deer foraging in the down canopy at the other end.
© 24hourcampfire