Home
Posted By: 160user Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
I found this last weekend and thought some of you may enjoy it. It is for an M4 or M6 survival rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
Neat box!

I think it's funny they say not to use as defensive measures against enemy personnel. grin

Obviously, whoever wrote that had not run out of ammo when pinned down by enemy forces. wink
Posted By: g5m Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
Just abiding by the Geneva Convention rules.

(Responding to post above).
Posted By: Chisos Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Neat box!

I think it's funny they say not to use as defensive measures against enemy personnel. grin

Obviously, whoever wrote that had not run out of ammo when pinned down by enemy forces. wink

It sounds like something that came out of all the craziness coming from that dynamic duo, LBJ and Robert McNamara.
Posted By: 160user Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
Originally Posted by g5m

I believe that was the logic.
Posted By: papat Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
Nice!!
Neat box!

It had to say that due to the existence of international agreements regarding lawful ammo to be used in war. Naturally, someone with only that gun and ammo will use it defensively, regardless of international agreements to the contrary. But that language on there protects the US Government against claims that it violated the agreed on rules of war.
Can't use a hollow point bullet, but go ahead and toss that fragmented grenade!
Posted By: Captain Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by g5m

I believe that was the logic.

I think that it was actually The Hague Convention that had an agreement regarding expanding projectiles among other things.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
Regarding the Geneva Convention topic, back in those days the military wasn't allowed to shoot folks with anything less than 7.62 mm projectiles. I guess they followed the "use enough gun" theory.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
In response to the Hauge Convention FMJ bullets only in declared war. Terrorist insurrections, there are no such rules. This Hornet ammo was for pilot survival rifles in case of bail out. They also made fmj ammo. During WW 2 and later there was even full metal jacket bulleted 22 long rifle rim fire for the occasions that a 22 lr was issued. Strange stuff. Remington produced it for the military for a number of years after the war. These were packages in a sealed foil envelope. I have one such unopened in my collection.
I felt fortunate to find this full, unopened box from that era.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
That is a very interesting find. Would look good in my cartridge collection. Jealous here, did you find that at a gun show? Was it expensive? I need more information. 😁
Originally Posted by SS336
That is a very interesting find. Would look good in my cartridge collection. Jealous here, did you find that at a gun show? Was it expensive? I need more information. 😁

I found it and a couple of other similar full boxes at a local sportsman's show. I had to have them to put with my other "dust collector" boxes.

I found it and a couple of other similar full boxes at a local sportsman's show. I had to have them to put with my other "dust collector" boxes.

Great find - I love old historical stuff like that.
So do I and the boxes were all in excellent shape. I have a few cool old boxes that I wrap in plastic and put on the shelf to gather the household dust. smile
Posted By: BamBam Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
I felt fortunate to find this full, unopened box from that era.

And I have a few boxes of them I got from a buddy. I have two very early Springfield Armory survival rifles that are copies of what the Air Force carried in some of their aircraft As a survival rifle. 22 hornet 410 gauge, Shot a few of those 22 hornets, Not terribly accurate In the survival rifle platform, but fun to shoot nonetheless.
That is very cool! I would love to have one of the original survival rifles.

It was "affordable".
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/15/21
Neat box!

He ended his existence fending the frenemies off with grapefruits.
Posted By: 160user Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Neat box!

He ended his existence fending the frenemies off with grapefruits.

That is funny.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/16/21
They put that message on there to give the guy that needed it a chuckle. Guys in combat develop a unique sense of humor.

mike r
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
They put that message on there to give the guy that needed it a chuckle. Guys in combat develop a unique sense of humor.

mike r

A favorite

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
Posted By: 160user Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

A favorite

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫

You guys have a great sense of humor!
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/16/21
Some randomness regarding the Geneva Conventions and the Hague...

The Geneva Conventions say nothing about ammunition. They do however say that a downed airman is NOT an enemy combatant unless he fights once on the ground. That is why the reminder is there for survival purposes. Once an airman evacuates his aircraft, as long as he does not attempt to fight, he should be recovered and protected as a POW. If he fights, he's fair game.

The Hague Declaraton of 1899 banned the use of expanding projectiles in response to the British use of expanding bullets produced at the factory in DumDum India. The US NEVER SIGNED the Hague Declaration of 1899, and is not legally bound by it. It's use of ball ammo is voluntary, and is not universal.

FWIW I carried an M9 with issued hollowpoints in both Iraq and Afghanistan legally.
Originally Posted by g5m

(Responding to post above).

Yeah, the Japs really abided by the Geneva convention rules.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Very cool old ammo box! - 06/16/21
We fired some of that ammo during flight school.

SERE school reinforced what was mentioned above that, as an aviator, if you eject and lose your normal means of attack (the aircraft) then you are no longer a “combatant” and should be treated as a non-combatant. Riiiiiight!!! Bet your life on that little detail.

If you eject and fight, you are then considered a “combatant” and fall under the rules of war as such.
© 24hourcampfire