Home
Posted By: rockinbbar Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/15/21
Sounds interesting.

Growing up in a meat packing family, we would age our own beef around 30 days.

Anyone tried Dry Aged beef?

https://tcbmeats.com/dry-age/
Never tried it. There’s a Steakhouse in Abilene that ages their own. Some of the best steaks I’ve ever ate !
Some guys I know swear by it for standing rib roasts.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/15/21
We "dry aged" all meat until the early nineties, or so. Then people decided it was okay to let meat age in wet bacteria.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
We "dry aged" all meat until the early nineties, or so. Then people decided it was okay to let meat age in wet bacteria.

You can, but you have to trim any mold off.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/16/21
I used to be able to buy dry aged beef from a local butcher. It was certainly the best tasting beef I’ve had. I used to have access to a walk in cooler that I would hang my deer in for 10-14 days. Best venison that way also.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
I used to be able to buy dry aged beef from a local butcher. It was certainly the best tasting beef I’ve had. I used to have access to a walk in cooler that I would hang my deer in for 10-14 days. Best venison that way also.

With the hide on or off?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Sounds interesting.

Our custom killer/cutters always hang beef in a dry cooler for 21 to 30 days before cutting.

Are we talking about something different here?
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

With the hide on or off?

Hide on my deer. Gut the deer and use no water. Use a paper towel to dry the cavity and clean it up. There are people who hang deer longer but I never did.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/16/21
It is a waste of meat if not done right.
Yes and it was very good.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/16/21
Barry, go to the food section here. Dan has done a lot of it.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/16/21
Go to a good steakhouse and try it. I like it.

mike r
We always have big cuts of game dry aging. I've messed up a few. But the success out weighs the failures. Always have dry aged meat for Christmas.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/16/21
Wifey and I had 2 dry-aged rib-eyes last night we got from our butcher...They were expensive...Flavor was good. We’ve actually had better tasting steaks that were USDA Prime.

I won’t buy them again

🦫
Posted By: EdM Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/16/21
Though I haven't tried it, HEB sells dry aged ribeyes. I have had one at Bob's Chop House in Dallas (attending DSC show) and it was excellent.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/16/21
Do it yourself in the fridge.

https://umaidry.com/

Posted By: asheepdog Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Sounds interesting.

Our custom killer/cutters always hang beef in a dry cooler for 21 to 30 days before cutting.

Are we talking about something different here?

The butcher I know said that steers hang for a minimum of 2 weeks.
Posted By: strikeu Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Wifey and I had 2 dry-aged rib-eyes last night we got from our butcher...They were expensive...Flavor was good. We’ve actually had better tasting steaks that were USDA Prime.

I won’t buy them again

🦫

aged and grade are 2 different things.

I age rib roasts about 2 a month. Been doing it for 20 years. I can get Choice at the Military Commissary, and either Choice or Prime at Costco. Most of the time boneless, but occasionally Bone-in. I alternate dry and wet aging. it is difficult to screw it up, leave it whole. 30 days minimum, sometimes as much as 45. there is almost always 2 or 3 roasts in various stages of aging in a dedicated fridge I have in the garage. whoever said it was difficult either has never done it, or did it wrong "somehow". aged beef is pretty much ALWAYS better tasting.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/17/21
I've did it in the Fridge Method .

Also a guy on utube covered cut steaks in real butter - copied his method - great stuff .

Now I'm hungry for a fat ribeye
Posted By: kappa8 Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/17/21
Been dry aging my venison for 20 years. Skin on. Let 'em hang in mother nature's cooler as long as temps stay below 45F. Debone everything with kids in our garage. Brush on olive oil w/fresh garlic 1-2 hours before cooking, then 2-3 minutes per side in medium/hot skillet. Nothing finer!
Posted By: ringworm Re: Tried Any Dry Aged Beef? - 06/17/21
I do a 7 bone rib roast every year. I buy it the Saturday after Halloween and we eat it Christmas.
Easy to do if you have a spare fridge.
It ain't dry aged, but you can damn sure improve a plain ol' Costco roast uncovered in the fridge for a week or ten days. A little salt and a lot of patience.
© 24hourcampfire