Home
This young lady is an amazing swimmer and will only get better. Congratulations to her!

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - Seward swimmer Lydia Jacoby took second place Tuesday in the women’s 100-meter breaststroke during the U.S. Olympic Trials in Omaha, Nebraska, making her poised to join the U.S. Olympic Team and head to the Tokyo Olympic Games.

Jacoby, 17, would become the first ever Alaskan to join the team. She must wait until later in the trials for her spot on the team to be confirmed, according to NBC Sports. Second-place finishers are not automatically guaranteed a spot, due to a team size cap.

Jacoby nabbed second in the final heat of the women’s 100-meter breaststroke with a time of 1 minute, 5.28 seconds. According to swimswam.com, she finished just tenths of a second ahead of third-place finisher Annie Lazor, who finished in 1:05.60.

Jacoby is set to head to the Summer Olympics with world record-holder and 2016 Olympic champion Lilly King, who secured a return spot on the team with a first-place finish Tuesday at the Trials in 1:04.79.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2...ad-tokyo-takes-second-us-olympic-trials/
Congratulations to her.
Just hope she only has to swim against real women.
They way it's going, she'll be 25 by the time the Tokyo Olympics are actually held.
Congratulations ,Lydia.

There are swimming pools in Seward?
Originally Posted by Morewood
Congratulations ,Lydia.

There are swimming pools in Seward?

Of course. It’s a very humble pool in an older school, but like almost all pools here, it’s just 6 lane; 25 yard.
Wow! I dunno what age competitive swimmers peak but I’m guessing she has some good years ahead.
Good for her.
Quite the accomplishment!
BIG BUMP FOR THE GOLD!!!

https://mustreadalaska.com/lydia-jacoby-wins-gold-in-tokyo/#comment-124560

Lydia Jacoby wins Gold in Tokyo

Lydia Jacoby of Seward, Alaska won an Olympic gold medal Monday in the 100-meter breaststroke competition at the International Olympics Game in Tokyo, Japan.

The 17-year-old high school senior posted her fasted time ever, 1 minute, 4.95 seconds. Lilly King, Jacoby’s American teammate, won the bronze, and South African Tatjana Schoenmaker won silver.

Fantastic!!!
Awesome!
Great!
Love it.
Great!
Excellent! grin
Awesome!!
outstanding
Good stuff👍👍👍
Outstanding! Congrats to the young lady.
What a story! Too much BS this year, but these events are what the Olympics and sport in general, is all about.

KC
Hope she’s not a kneeler or flag burner.
Gold medal round is a pretty good time to put in your fastest time ever. Congratulations to the young lady!

Little sad the tunnel vision of the announcers, she wasn't even mentioned til 10 M left. They showed all 3 in a row, talking how the other American had to come from behind, but she was already in third and the Alaskan was right there tied for 1st
Originally Posted by dale06
Hope she’s not a kneeler or flag burner.

Hope so too. I had left officiating swim meets prior to her reaching high school, and don’t recall her as a younger kid at club meets.

I will say though, in all that time, I never saw a kneeler at a swim meet and hope that streak continues.
Originally Posted by acy
Gold medal round is a pretty good time to put in your fastest time ever. Congratulations to the young lady!

From her time to be invited to trials to gold, almost every swim was a PR. She almost literally came out of nowhere. The tiny AK swim community is ecstatic.
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Little sad the tunnel vision of the announcers, she wasn't even mentioned til 10 M left. They showed all 3 in a row, talking how the other American had to come from behind, but she was already in third and the Alaskan was right there tied for 1st

I noticed that too, Bob. They all knew Lily King would win! lol
Congratulations Lydia!

Check out her Alaskan watch party reaction HERE.
© 24hourcampfire