Home
Posted By: jnyork Kali transplants - 06/17/21
115 degrees in Phoenix today, no relief in sight, gonna stay hot hot hot all summer.

Wonder how many Kali transplants there are having buyer's remorse? laugh
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by jnyork
115 degrees in Phoenix today, no relief in sight, gonna stay hot hot hot all summer.

Not the ones from Barstow! grin
Posted By: WhiteTrash Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21

Truly hope the ones in Montana f-ck off and go back ASAP. I am sure the smoke and cold will send them packing soon enough
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
We have the wind to blow them the hell out.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
GTFOH..tough guy...🤣
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
If there wasn't air conditioning Arizona would still be the preserve of Apaches/prospectors/ranchers.
Last I checked they hadn't moved Death Valley out of California...🤣

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Took my son and a buddy of his to Death Valley in August a couple of years ago. It was over 120; we went into the store at Furnace Creek and my son's buddy bought an ice cream cone and went out to the patio to eat it. He might of got about half of it in his mouth before it ran down his arm. Laughing.
I've heard it even snows in California...😁

https://snowbrains.com/5-incredible-usa-snowfall-records/
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Yep, hit 115 there today.

Needles only hit 118 today. Still 106 as I type. But, it hit 121 yesterday.

from experience, when it's over 120 I know 115 feels a bit nicer. Not much, but any relief is just that.
Originally Posted by WhiteTrash

Truly hope the ones in Montana f-ck off and go back ASAP. I am sure the smoke and cold will send them packing soon enough

Smoke and cold? Scare a Californio?

we don't get cold here, nope, not never:

Posted By: local_dirt Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
"Dry" heat. Pfft.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
"Dry" heat. Pfft.

Heat "index".......................double Pfft. grin

When it hits 120+ in the west.....................there's no need for an index..............................it is 120+. wink
Posted By: Morewood Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Too funny. Like it never gets hot in California.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
If there wasn't air conditioning Arizona would still be the preserve of Apaches/prospectors/ranchers.
Ever visited Prescott, Flagstaff, Alpine, Show Low, etc., etc..
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Yep, hit 115 there today.

Needles only hit 118 today. Still 106 as I type. But, it hit 121 yesterday.

from experience, when it's over 120 I know 115 feels a bit nicer. Not much, but any relief is just that.

It felt like a summer kickoff today on the Oregon Coast. We should be running in the 70’s until late September. Of course we’ll still get some sporadic rains. Late June through September is our best months for good weather.

🦫
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt
"Dry" heat. Pfft.

Heat "index".......................double Pfft. grin

When it hits 120+ in the west.....................there's no need for an index..............................it is 120+. wink

7% humidity. Triple Pfft.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
California, the land of truly hard, tough, resilient men. Been known for that for a longtime.

smile
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
California, the land of truly hard, tough, resilient men. Been known for that for a longtime.

smile

Speaking in absolutes is absolute folly...😁

I've spent a fair amount of time in the Bozeangeles area, the man-bun wearing Birkenstockers I continually saw there must have been California transplants...🤔
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Would not be much to my neck of the woods without AC either.
Posted By: krp Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Hottest I worked in was 126, 1980s, Bullhead/Laughlin area, 12 hour day concrete work.

Phoenix and Palm Springs are twins when it comes to temps.

Drove home from Huntington Beach yesterday, left before light to beat the heat, there's a long stretch of California/Arizona that are hard on vehicles when hot.

Went to my niece's HS graduation, she's coming to ASU starting in aug and apprehensive about the heat. August is the worst time to come to the valley but we have pools and lakes and high mountain retreats... plus AC.

My family has been here since the late 1800s, long before AC... farmers, miners, ranchers, business owners. Old time californians and old time arizonians are the same breed, it's all the transient/transplants from around the nation that F'ed it up.

When I hit Pacific coast hwy at Sunset beach I saw a truck driving with a huge Trump Flag on one side and a F'u'c'k Biden on the other, saw other Trump signs/flags around, didn't wear a mask in the stores or restaurants. many people didn't. Masks were required to attend the graduation, everyone put one on to enter then immediately removed them, I saw a few older people keep one on but just a handful... all stood and said the pledge of allegiance.

I had my american flag and waved it thinking I would be controversial, I wasn't, no one disapproved.

The families I know there are old time californians, they hate their governor, Biden, liberals, illegals and what has happened to their state by transient/transplants from everywhere else.

My niece told me she's changing her major from corporate law to political science law... I said, not as a democrat I hope... teasing... OH HELL NO! I want to make a difference to save our country... she also said she can't wait to go shooting with me when she gets here. Told her I bought a couple new guns for her to shoot, got a big smile.

Some Californians we will gladly take here in AZ.

Kent

Posted By: deflave Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
If they have any remorse it would be about 25 years old by now.

LOL

That mass exodus happened a long time ago.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by krp
Hottest I worked in was 126, 1980s, Bullhead/Laughlin area, 12 hour day concrete work.

Drove home from Huntington Beach yesterday, left before light to beat the heat, there's a long stretch of California/Arizona that are hard on vehicles when hot.

Went to my niece's HS graduation, she's coming to ASU starting in aug and apprehensive about the heat. August is the worst time to come to the valley but we have pools and lakes and high mountain retreats... plus AC.

My family has been here since the late 1800s, long before AC... farmers, miners, ranchers, business owners. Old time californians and old time arizonians are the same breed, it's all the transient/transplants from around the nation that F'ed it up.

When I hit Pacific coast hwy at Sunset beach I saw a truck driving with a huge Trump Flag on one side and a F'u'c'k Biden on the other, saw other Trump signs/flags around, didn't wear a mask in the stores or restaurants. many people didn't. Masks were required to attend the graduation, everyone put one on to enter then immediately removed them, I saw a few older people keep one on but just a handful... all stood and said the pledge of allegiance.

I had my american flag and waved it thinking I would be controversial, I wasn't, no one disapproved.

The families I know there are old time californians, they hate their governor, Biden, liberals, illegals and what has happened to their state by transient/transplants from everywhere else.

My niece told me she's changing her major from corporate law to political science law... I said, not as a democrat I hope... teasing... OH HELL NO! I want to make a difference to save our country... she also said she can't wait to go shooting with me when she gets here. Told her I bought a couple new guns for her to shoot, got a big smile.

Kent

Congrat's on helping to raise a good kid.
We need all of them we can get right now
Here in the southwest, 80s and 90s, you could guarantee an influx of transients from wherever the latest disaster hit... tornado, hurricane, flood, earthquake, cold...

We may get hot a few months but that's pretty much it.

The transients then feel safe and forget, move again. The transplants stay.

Been going on 50 years.

Kent
Posted By: Higginez Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
109 in Durham today.

Good thing I have a desk job.
117 and 0% humidity today... meh... the quintessential 'dry heat'...

Kent
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
my wife and i have had multiple conversations on what's happening to arizona.
given i own a small amount of property in various places, the influx and resulting price increases has pushed me into
territory with some zero 's attached to it.
do i like what's happened? not a chance, i prefer the old arizona, krp's people and mine go back far enough to the same time.
keep thinking of pulling the money out of the property and going some place else. where i don't know, cause the places i like are getting
screwed by the outflux from calif. and we are too old now.
it's a bitch of a problem.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21

They are packing up and moving to Paradise AK to Stick’s neighborhood.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by krp
117 and 0% humidity today... meh... the quintessential 'dry heat'...

Kent

not in my house, as long as the a/c doesn't break.
wife is out in the back yard dealing with the goats, God bless her.
i'd help, but still in a wheel chair.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Your niece sounds like a good young woman!
Ron you were probably like me, as a kid you would go outside and stay most of the day. Besides chores we would play in the citrus groves, out at the corrals, fish the canals, swim in the irrigation ditches, ride bikes looking for pop bottles on the sides of roads for the deposits, shoot BB guns, hunt rabbits... heat, what heat?

My wife lived in Tempe and they would be put out in the back yard to stay all day and from under foot.

Kent
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Your niece sounds like a good young woman!

I'm proud of her. When she was 6 her Dad, who sells industrial equipment, had a specialty concrete repair job at the Long Beach VA hospital needed done, so I went there a few weeks at a time for a couple years to do it. Her and I bonded when I was there. We fish, shoot, camp, ride horses, play video games and just have fun.

I always called her Diabla... now that she's going to ASU she will be a Sun Devil, she loves it.

Kent
Posted By: slumlord Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Weren’t no air conditioning in schools in Georgia when I was a kid. Maybe up in the office.

Kids with sweaty necks, beads of sweat for a mustache. Start school in August. 95 degrees, 95% RH
1979 I was in Sherman Tx for company oil field training... working in Farmington NM... they sent us for a week in June... Holy crap! it was so humid I felt like I was swimming to walk the air was that heavy. I'll take the AZ heat anytime over that.

That's as east as I've ever been.

Kent
Hate that back east humidity.

Grew up with it with no A/C, used to leave the apartment and go down to the park by the river where there was a bit of a breeze, and we'd all sleep on the lawns there. Probably not safe to do. Or everyone would be out in lawn chairs on the sidewalks, kids running around in shorts and no shirts.

Worst part, even when I moved to NW PA in '99, to a house with no A/C, was getting out of the shower and never feeling dry.

I've gotten old and used to the cooler weather up here. Going out on a sunny day in winter in shorts and a tee shirt is common. Same way when we lived in the White Mountains in AZ. Now, I just got done cleaning the Gulag, doing the compost, and mowing the lawn. 82F and 28% humidity and with the sun shining at this elevation it was enough for me to be ready for lunch and a nap. Can't count the days on a bare ass tract lot working behind the backhoe in the ditch, that it was already 80 when we got to the job site. And we were glad it was only going to get to 95F that day.

Slummy, did y'all have fans in them schoolrooms? We Catholic kids weren't that lucky. 105-107 in a packed classroom, casement windows cranked as far as they would open, classroom door too and them nuns didn't even provide a fan for airflow. Santa Ana winds were no help either. Probably figured we kids needed a taste of the Purgatory and Hell we were going to meet up with anyhow..
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21

They're not the ones you have to worry about. Barstow votes R.
Arizona should build a wall.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Poor boys. Spend 13 months in I Corps and you'll know hot and humid very well.

Semper Fi.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21

I wouldn't like 115 I don't think.
Posted By: g5m Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21

I was driving from LA to Phoenix 55 to 60 years ago. No AC in the car, windows down and stopped for gas in Barstow at midnight. It was warm and the radio guy said the temperature was 114. It felt like it.
Just had lunch with some other campfire members downtown Phoenix... it's blurry, took it while driving, but says 120, that was at 1 o'clock today.

No big deal for us desert rats...

Kent

Bet you've got A/C in that truck. wink
Originally Posted by krp

No big deal for us desert rats...

Kent

Apparently.
Originally Posted by g5m

I was driving from LA to Phoenix 55 to 60 years ago. No AC in the car, windows down and stopped for gas in Barstow at midnight. It was warm and the radio guy said the temperature was 114. It felt like it.

But, it was a dry 114F at midnight.

The place I lived where I took the pic of the 120+ thermometer reading, I went out one morning to check something at 0300 and it was still 113F. I knew we'd be in trouble the next day. Might have been the day it was hovering between 126-128 at the ranger station down the road.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by krp
Just had lunch with some other campfire members downtown Phoenix...

Bonus points for sitting outside!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21

cooled to 93 today

clouds......T/storms around

No rain.....

Just dry lightning strikes to start fresh fires

link..one of the fires locally

https://etvnews.com/bennion-creek-fire-containment-increases/

Ya but I may go play golf in a bit... worked and played in this kinda heat my entire life.

Kent
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by krp
Just had lunch with some other campfire members downtown Phoenix...

Bonus points for sitting outside!

No, the New Mexican's are to delicate...

Kent
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Shade's scarce in these parts...
Originally Posted by krp

Ya but I may go play golf in a bit... worked and played in this kinda heat my entire life.

Kent

Oh, I understand. All too well.

I remember getting of work one afternoon, going inside for a couple of hours, having dinner, then going out to mow the lawn. While mowing I said to myself, this is rather pleasurable, sure beats what we've been having. Might have been 8PM or so. Went and looked that that thermometer. It was 104F, a perfect lawn mowing temp...............when you're used to to close to 120.

Have fun on the course.
Posted By: 79S Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
63 here today. Beautiful alaska summer..
Posted By: 79S Re: Kali transplants - 06/17/21
Y’all better watch out the toughest guy in California he’ll be calling you out and want you to fly to California so He can whip your asses.. Anytime you say anything derogatory about California he comes running around the corner ready to fight you.

Posted By: smarquez Re: Kali transplants - 06/18/21
101 here today in Sunny SoCal with scattered rain and hail.
I've worn nomex over cotton in weather like this and humped hills with a hose pack and web gear. At the time I thought it was fun. I can't imagine what I was thinking.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Kali transplants - 06/18/21
Beaver ranch...
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Kali transplants - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by Higginez
109 in Durham today.

Good thing I have a desk job.

Yeah, that is what it was at my house today as well.
A bit warm I would say.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Kali transplants - 06/18/21
109 here at 430pm. Still 80 at midnight. Sheesh.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Kali transplants - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Lots of love for Nor Cal.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Kali transplants - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Normal for July and August. Figured it would wait a couple more weeks. Damn climate change.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Kali transplants - 06/19/21
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Normal for July and August. Figured it would wait a couple more weeks. Damn climate change.

Yeah, my thermometer hit the 100F mark yesterday. Don't know about the official one at the airport, they didn't get the frost the other morning, why worry if they got the heat correct.

Not unprecedented though, the newspaper runs a "This week in history" column and apparently it hit 100F in the olden days too.

I feel for you folks in the Valley, it might be a LONG HOT summer. And dry too
© 24hourcampfire